What to do if one of your Christian Children were homosexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love never fails.

I can't change people's behavior. But I can love them. If it's my kid, I'm just going to love them. No conditions. It's all I've got.

What does Godly love look like to you? You are God's instrument, His mouthpiece, His ambassador...believe in prayer, against all hope, continue to pray.
One can't abdicate one's role and responsibilities in favor of having their child's love...that's what one does when you say I'd just love them...like Adam.
...he who lovest father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; he who lovest son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me...

We go through many troubles in this world...pray, pray, pray...ask God to surround the son or daughter with his holy saints, that is His believers and ask that they testify in various forms to him/her. These are some things which can always be done...notes, letters, occasion cards with appropriate notes may help as well.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are really two types of homosexuals:
  1. Those who realise that homosexuality is morally wrong, and who will work to try to stop. These are just regular Christians, like any other brother or sister, for whom homosexuality is just a temptation they are regularly faced with — much like many men are faced with inappropriate contentography, compulsive liars are faced with lying, easily angered people are faced with unjustified anger… All of these are sins, and homosexuality is just one more, for which some people suffer because they simply feel that inexplicable attraction for people of the same gender as we do for people of the opposite gender. But these homosexuals realise that it is wrong and are willing to fight the temptation and remain faithful to God.
  2. Those who think it is all right to be gay, and are willing to really start a serious relationship. These are not Christians. These are people who were born in a Christian family, but have chosen to abandon faith, because they just found out that there was something about it which they did not like. They think they have the right to be happy, the right to equality, the right to everything they want, without realising that it is wrong, God rejects it, and they cannot be saved if they go on like that, because 1 John 3:6 says: ‘No-one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No-one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.’ Taking the same examples given in point #1, these people are instead like the men who choose to keep on watching inappropriate content (or, for that matter, the woman who follows a career in inappropriate content), the person who wilfully and unrepentantly lies whenever he/she feels like, or the person who gets angry for no reason and does not attempt to control himself/herself.

Homosexuality is no more wrong than any other sin that falls outside of this guide:

16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

When you have seen gay children 5 -10 years old, you will understand.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he thinks it is OK to be gay, show him the Bible verses that attest to the opposite, tell him of your absolute hatred for homosexuality, of how disappointed you are that this is true, and warn him that you will never support his relationship.

Better to fix the hatred problem first.
Then love the child and support the
relationship. It's not the parents job
to be non-supportive. Your advice is
not correct.

27 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her
has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So as you can see, the old rules defining what is "Sin" were not extensive
enough. While it was OK to hate visible sin, now your job would be to
condemn all thought-sin as well. How big is your jail cell? Will it hold
prostitutes, adulterers, and all your kids?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You would be ok with your LBGT kid killing themselves because the pain of your rejection of them is more than they can take?

So because you, in you're situation, didn't end up committing suicide means it's just that simple for everyone else in their own situations?

Well maybe I should expand on what I mean. No, I am not ok with them killing their selves. Even if its not my kid I don't want someone doing that. I have a heart. I don't want anyone to take their life. Also to be fair I never said I was ok with them killing themselves. I said its not my problem. As in if they are grown adults, they can do what they want. Lets say my child grows up and murders someone in a fit of jealousy, does that mean its my fault somehow? No. If my child does drugs at 16 and I intervene and stop them. But once they are an adults they move out, do drugs and one day overdose and die from them. Is it my fault? No. So likewise, if they are adults and move out and eventually kill themselves, its also not my fault. We have free will.

Me? I'm imperfect. I sin sometimes. And when I sin, especially a repeat sin I feel bad, repent and TRY hard not to do it again. I can change if I really want to. So its why I try. Again this is about free will. No one is forcing me to sin, even if try to blame someone else it comes down to my free will, my choice...etc. So again, if my grown adult son chooses to kill himself then all I can do is talk him out of it, let him know I still love him. In the end I will be sad if he chooses death, but its his choice.

Now as for me not killing myself and thinking others should do the same... yes. If I, someone who was at the lowest low, someone who was doing things beyond terrible, things that I have to answer for when I die..... then other should not kill themselves either. Though it is their choice of course. I've told christians about my situation and a few said if they were in my situation they would have gave up on God and then killed themselves. Which blew my mind. Now is every situation like mine when it comes to wanting to kill yourself? No. But for the last time, its YOUR choice. No one forces you. I believe as a christian suicide means "SKip go, do not get $200". As in you will not enter heaven. Life sometimes will suck. Sometimes it will be worse then that. It will feel like a trap. But suicide is never an answer. If you fear God enough you know suicide is not a solution but the devils trick into making you believe "Hey man, its ok if you do this! God would understand!".

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well maybe I should expand on what I mean. No, I am not ok with them killing their selves. Even if its not my kid I don't want someone doing that. I have a heart. I don't want anyone to take their life. Also to be fair I never said I was ok with them killing themselves. I said its not my problem. As in if they are grown adults, they can do what they want. Lets say my child grows up and murders someone in a fit of jealousy, does that mean its my fault somehow? No. If my child does drugs at 16 and I intervene and stop them. But once they are an adults they move out, do drugs and one day overdose and die from them. Is it my fault? No. So likewise, if they are adults and move out and eventually kill themselves, its also not my fault. We have free will.

Me? I'm imperfect. I sin sometimes. And when I sin, especially a repeat sin I feel bad, repent and TRY hard not to do it again. I can change if I really want to. So its why I try. Again this is about free will. No one is forcing me to sin, even if try to blame someone else it comes down to my free will, my choice...etc. So again, if my grown adult son chooses to kill himself then all I can do is talk him out of it, let him know I still love him. In the end I will be sad if he chooses death, but its his choice.

Now as for me not killing myself and thinking others should do the same... yes. If I, someone who was at the lowest low, someone who was doing things beyond terrible, things that I have to answer for when I die..... then other should not kill themselves either. Though it is their choice of course. I've told christians about my situation and a few said if they were in my situation they would have gave up on God and then killed themselves. Which blew my mind. Now is every situation like mine when it comes to wanting to kill yourself? No. But for the last time, its YOUR choice. No one forces you. I believe as a christian suicide means "SKip go, do not get $200". As in you will not enter heaven. Life sometimes will suck. Sometimes it will be worse then that. It will feel like a trap. But suicide is never an answer. If you fear God enough you know suicide is not a solution but the devils trick into making you believe "Hey man, its ok if you do this! God would understand!".
Your lowest low isn't necessarily the same as anyone else's, nor is your ability to cope with it. I'm sorry you went through that. I am. But don't for an instant think that your experience translates to anyone else's.

Upvote 0

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best thing you can do is pray, but dont live in a paranoid 'what if' parenting style. Healthy close relationships with both parents to encourage and affirm who they are will help eith every area. People who emphasise the 'rules' and how bad certain things are as a way of persuading people to changr very often do more harm than good. Jesus obeyed God the Father because he loved the Father.
Your kids ultimately need a genuine relationship with Jesus, and your example to them of that will help. It is their love of God which will help them to grow in him, which means they need to know about his love for them.
Human sexuslity has been rarely handled well by the church, not just people experiencing same sex attraction. People tend towards legalism as its simple. What people need is a caring, loving, truthful approach.
The biggest problem with sin is peoples denial of it, confession keeps us humble and allows time to work through things. SSA is complicated and there are many aspects that can influence it, and quite a few things need to be worked through. So if your kids are saved, allow them.space to talk about how they feel, they will need support prayer and encouragement especially from parents. You just need to keep your head on straighy and quite likely, by the time you find out about it, it may already be quite deep., and already be exposed to false teaching on it. Good teaching on it does not just consist of the rules people quote from scripture. You could try addressing the issue gently when they are younger so that they feel comfortable enough to talk to you as soon as they become aware of same sex attraction developing. Commonly around 10-13 years old.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a gay Christian, I don't know why anyone, especially a Christian, would choose to be gay. It would be like asking to become second class citizen and to be excluded from your friends, family, and church while putting a big giant target on your back for people to tell you what a horrible human being you are.

I'm sure that was your experience, and I apologize for all the knuckle-head Christians out there
who don't know any better. My cousin and her partner were accepted into our extended family
even before they both had children and I'm so glad the kids didn't experience any hostility...to
my knowledge. And the boys are both amazing.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You could try addressing the issue gently when they are younger so that they feel comfortable enough to talk to you as soon as they become aware of same sex attraction developing. Commonly around 10-13 years old.

Sexuality is a condition that is formed when the "female" fetus gets a surge of male hormones
during brain development. This differentiates boys from girls. The process is rarely perfect
and some boys end up with too much or too little and females can get too much or too little.
The level of hormone conditioning can cause outward physical abnormalities as well with
males developing somewhat like females and vice versa. It's biology. Environmental conditioning
can have modest effect, but you can only alter the total system so far.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you suggest to people they might and could be sodomites, then that suggestion is all it takes for a significant portion of the population to go that way. It is all in the head... there is no sodomite gene.

That's true, there is no gene uniquely identified with being from the city of Sodom.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Homosexuality is no more wrong than any other sin that falls outside of this guide:

16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;

Seen them, and no, you're a quiter, giving excuses and giving up on power of the Word...God.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the world fell and humanity became filled with sin but, like the person said Jesus also made a comment long after Adam and Eve were around that people were born straight so, he does have a point that can't be ignored.
Well, obviously Jesus made the comment after Adam and Eve. But the point is that Jesus was referring to the time before the fall and observing that God, indeed, made man for woman and woman for man.

Again, this does not rule out the very strong possibility that it is specifically as a result of the fall that some people are born with innate homosexual inclinations.

Upvote 0

fromtheAsh

That one girl from that one website.
May 31, 2012
South Dakota
✟9,766.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
As already noted, it doesn't require you to do anything. You just continue to be a loving parent.

The fact is, people don't choose to be gay, & efforts to change someone's sexuality are shown to be harmful & ineffective. If you want to get more info on human sexuality, visit the American Psychological Association (APA) website to read more.

As far as controversy in Christianity, it's true that Christians are divided on this topic. Some churches are gay-affirming, others are not. To learn why some churches are gay-affirming, you will need to read outside of this website, as I don't know if the site rules permit open discussion in this particular forum. The Gay Christian Network website hosts both sides of the conversation on this topic.

The Gay Christian Network is an excellent organization. I went to their conference a couple of years ago when it was in Chicago, and loved it. Torn is a fantastic book as well.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, my wife and I were debating the other day that when we are blessed with our children, would we would do if one of our children was homosexual.
I wasn't born bisexual or gay in any form so I have NO clue what it's like. I do however know what it's like to be born not "normal" and what it's like to be shunned by a majority of society. It sucks.
Usually when I'm confronted with a sin I try to not keep doing it. If I encouraged my homosexual child to be happy in a homosexual relationship they wouldn't really be trying to stop the sin they're committing and how would that effect their souls or their Christian faith?

The answer to this question for everybody is the same answer that everybody has to masturbation.

Masturbation is a sin. The lustful thoughts that accompany it are adultery.

Some people teach, contrary to what YHWH and Jesus actually said, that all sin is the same. That is not true. John tells us clearly that there are mortal sins. Adultery - and therefore the lustful thoughts that accompany masturbation - are as mortal a sin as sodomy.

To be clear, God said that the sodomy - that men who lay with other men as women - is the sin. We can assume, from the adulterousness of lustful thoughts that lustful thoughts towards the same sex are equally a sin.

Equally.

So, how do you deal with yourself regarding your own adultery, you masturbators?
Masturbators are all adulterers, and they are all at exactly the same level of sin as homosexual sodomites: deadly.

So, what do you do if your child masturbates?
What do you do to yourself for being a masturbator?

You shrug your shoulders and figure God will forgive. Because your other choices are to compound your own adultery with a lie (that masturbation isn't adulterous), and with a hypocrisy (that adultery in the form of masturbation is forgiveable, but some other mortal sin is not), or to walk away from Christianity because it's unworkable.

The answer is that you love your homosexual child the same way you love your masturbating child and your masturbating spouse and your masturbating self. You're all - all humans - are guilty of mortal sin that you cannot resist. So stop pretending that homosexuality is worse than masturbation. Masturbation is adultery. If God doesn't forgive it, everybody is going to Hell.

Homosexuality is as uncontrollable as masturbation - in fact, it's just a form of masturbation, when you get right down to it. It's just another version of the same mortal sin.

So treat it as what it is: masturbation.

How do masturbators deal with each other. Look around at every human being you have ever met: they are all adulterers, because they are all masturbators. Which means that if God doesn't forgive, they're all damned. That's all.

Homosexuality is no different from adultery, and masturbation is adultery. So, how do you treat masturbation?

You ignore it. What other choice do you have? Be a liar and a hypocrite? Stop? Sure. Tell a teenager, or a twenty something, or a single, "chaste", "celibate" thirty-something to stop masturbating because that makes him an adulterer and doomed to hell.

And see to it that you yourself keep that commandment.

What? You can't?

Exactly.

You deal with your own mortal sin of masturbation, and the way you deal with it is to throw up your hands and say "God will forgive". And you leave it up to him. You don't judge other masturbators, and if somebody came and seriously started preaching hellfire for masturbators, you'd know the guy was a flaming hypocrite. You'd know FOR SURE. And you'd be right too.

Which is why nobody preaches that. And if they do, they are silenced by asking the direct question: Before God and men, do you swear that YOU have never masturbated, and that you don't touch?

If he lies, he throws himself into hell for the lie, along with the hypocrisy, and of course the masturbation itself.

Do you really believe that God damns all masturbators? Really? Then we're all doomed anyway, so chuck Christianity.
Or is it that belief in Christ will save you from hell for that sin - even though you don't stop it.
Well, then belief in Christ will do the same for boys who touch with other boys, won't it?

This is why the letter of the law kills and the spirit gives life.

Now the truth: most people don't like homosexuality. It's abnormal and they find it creepy and weird and disgusting. Others don't care. Religious people have a tendency to take whatever they don't like and say that God hates that too, and to beat the drum. And maybe it's true too, maybe God does hate that.

But God said that only if you are without sin do you dare cast the first stone. You are a masturbator. Which means you are an adulterer. Do you deny it? Adulterers and homosexuals are the same thing: mortal sinners. Don't pretend that homosexuality is worse before God. It is not. Since you are an adulterer, who are you to judge the homosexual? If you do, you damn yourself.

For Christ said, very clearly, and in parable form also, that you are to forgive others' sins against you OR ELSE God will NOT forgive you your sins against him.

The homosexual, like the adulterer, has committed no sin against you. His homosexuality, like your masturbation, are between him and God. You have no role in it, and if you judge it, you expose yourself to judgment for your own adulterous masturbation. To the lake of fire with both of you.

The proper Christian answer to homosexuality is the same answer as it is to masturbation. You should treat homosexuality the same way. It is not worse than male-female fornication. It is not worse than adultery. And it is not worse than masturbation, because masturbation is adultery.

In other words, it is not something that you have to worry about. Do you worry about masturbation? No, you don't. You're familiar with it and you don't think you're damned, do you?
Do you.

So assume that God has the homosexuality issue well in hand also, and stop thinking that it's up to you to judge.
If you must judge, then accept that you're going to Hell as a hypocrite and an unforgiving adulterer, because it's what you are.

That's the answer. Christian hypocrites will now scream in response. And in so doing they are condemned for their own adultery, for every one who screams in anger is himself a masturbator, a serial masturbator, filled with lustful thoughts, and therefore an adulterer - and in his hatred of homosexuals, a hypocritical, judgmental adulterer who damns himself by thrusting away God's forgiveness of his own deadly sexual sins out of his desire to judge others for theirs.

Homosexuality and adultery and fornication and masturbation - all exactly the same. It's why all are sinners. And it's why you don't judge it. Leave it to God and forgive each other, or burn in hell yourself for eternity, because if you do not forgive, God will not forgive you. Jesus said so, that's the law, and that's the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thats great. What about all the other words you used that don't appear there?
They're all covered there, so it's moot anyhow.
We disagree, then you encourage your son to be his best gay self.
I won't.
I raised 8 happy successful kids to think for themselves,
some of them are conservative, some are liberal some
are dem some are rep some are this and some are that,
but if they're walking according to that passage I posted,
I won't be chumming with them.
My life, my biz, you do what you see fit, God's the judge not you.

Upvote 0

Locum7

Mar 2, 2016
Uk
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sexuality is a condition that is formed when the "female" fetus gets a surge of male hormones
during brain development. This differentiates boys from girls. The process is rarely perfect
and some boys end up with too much or too little and females can get too much or too little.
The level of hormone conditioning can cause outward physical abnormalities as well with
males developing somewhat like females and vice versa. It's biology. Environmental conditioning
can have modest effect, but you can only alter the total system so far.
What you are describing is the sex of a person not their sexuality. There is limited proof that it id that process you describe that develops into the persons sexuality later. There is plenty of psychological evidence that it is more a combination of other factors. The point is, that in terms of handling it, creating a family environment where a child feels they can discuss things at a young age is important as many who develop or become aware of some level of same sex attraction dont have people to talk to about it and therefore are left quite emotionally vulnerable

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They're all covered there, so it's moot anyhow.
We disagree, then you encourage your son to be his best gay self.
I won't.
I raised 8 happy successful kids to think for themselves,
some of them are conservative, some are liberal some
are dem some are rep some are this and some are that,
but if they're walking according to that passage I posted,
I won't be chumming with them.
My life, my biz, you do what you see fit, God's the judge not you.
Well that seemed a little inappropriately confrontational in response to what I said, but yeah, ok.

8 kids, huh? *annoying sing-song* I know something you don't know.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;

I have seen a gay child of 5 or 6 years old.
Makes no difference to me.
I've seen a child SIN at age 5.. so did GOD encourage/endorse that?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well that seemed a little inappropriately confrontational in response to what I said, but yeah, ok.

8 kids, huh? I know something you don't know.
Succinct, but you can call it w/e you like :)
I have a lot of alerts and wasted too much time on this already.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.