Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I live in a city that does not deliver groceries. We can pick them up at Walmart with our Walmart app. But because so many people use the app during this time, sometimes they can't accommodate us. So, I have to go to the store. But so many people in the store ignore social distancing. One man got irritated at me because I was keeping my distance from the lady checking out her groceries. He asked if I could move up so he could put his basket on the belt. I did move up, but I stepped out of line so I wouldn't be close to the woman checking out. But he decided to squeeze by me getting really close to me to get something. I left very angry with him. People in my city are not taking this seriously. I get I don't have the right to be angry with people that ignore the governors advice about staying home from the parks, which a lot of people in my city are ignoring. And I am not talking about people who work, for they are can't help that, and of course we wouldn't be able to buy groceries. But I also can't tell them what to do. But I am angry at those who don't practice social distancing. I was so mad that I almost made a scene at the store. I told the cashier, people are [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing me off, they are not practicing social distancing; and I said it out loud in front of the man. But he did not respond to it, for he probably did not care.

This isn't the only time people get close. But I am using this one incident as an example.

The question is what do I do about this? How do I react to people that get irritated at me because I am keeping a distance from the person checking out, and they want to put their stuff on the belt? How do I react to people that don't practice social distancing?

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You may have to resort to wearing a mask if you can find one. We have a liv in with us who had to go to the drug store. While in line the woman behind her started squeezing up close as you mention and our friend simply put her hand up and told to step back away from her. That was a CVS store that has put in clear distance markers. Our friend apologized and explained that she has asthma and can't risk getting this bug from carelessness point blank.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem in the checkout lane, but people still thoughtlessly block the food aisles with their carts, forcing others to go to the next aisle over. I have watched them just for the hell of it and they seem to be in a daze, standing there just staring the shelves. I thought about poking them with a long stick to wake them up.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in a city that does not deliver groceries. We can pick them up at Walmart with our Walmart app. But because so many people use the app during this time, sometimes they can't accommodate us. So, I have to go to the store. But so many people in the store ignore social distancing. One man got irritated at me because I was keeping my distance from the lady checking out her groceries. He asked if I could move up so he could put his basket on the belt. I did move up, but I stepped out of line so I wouldn't be close to the woman checking out. But he decided to squeeze by me getting really close to me to get something. I left very angry with him. People in my city are not taking this seriously. I get I don't have the right to be angry with people that ignore the governors advice about staying home from the parks, which a lot of people in my city are ignoring. And I am not talking about people who work, for they are can't help that, and of course we wouldn't be able to buy groceries. But I also can't tell them what to do. But I am angry at those who don't practice social distancing. I was so mad that I almost made a scene at the store. I told the cashier, people are [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing me off, they are not practicing social distancing; and I said it out loud in front of the man. But he did not respond to it, for he probably did not care.

This isn't the only time people get close. But I am using this one incident as an example.

The question is what do I do about this? How do I react to people that get irritated at me because I am keeping a distance from the person checking out, and they want to put their stuff on the belt? How do I react to people that don't practice social distancing?
This happened to me everywhere I went yesterday. It was driving me up a wall.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you able to say "excuse me, could you please move back and give me the space we are supposed to have?"

Here where I am people are pretty good and two supermarkets I went to today ( in Australia and I needed to go to two to get what I needed) both had security guards at the front of store.
Where I live is more village size so I have to drive to a town about 25 mins away.
The lady on the checkout said however that in the morning the people seemed to be different, they were in groups, not worrying about how close they were.
There were also seats that had caution tape all over them to stop people sitting there and they were trying to sit on them.
So obviously they needed the security guards:(

The chemist I visited and the petrol station both had perspex screens in front if them.

I've never seen this before, if it were the city where the population is high, maybe, but this just showed how serious this is.

However, may I say to you, be as careful and as safe as you can, hand washing is very important for at least 20seconds, do all that you need to but ultimately trust in the Lord and if you feel worried or stressed, remember you are precious in His sight and He holds you in the palm of His hand.:hug:

God bless you

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This happened to me everywhere I went yesterday. It was driving me up a wall.

It would also irritate me! I'm over seventy so I'm staying home. I found out that our Walmart Supercenter delivers. I placed my order online and chose the hour that they should deliver tomorrow. I also selected the option to have them leave my order on the porch. This is such a relief because asking my daughters to shop for me made me afraid they'd catch the virus being in the store for an extended length of time.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The checkout clerk should be monitoring the spacing of the customers. That would settle the issue for everyone.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Do you live somewhere where a lot of people watch Fox News?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I forgot to mention that yesterday when I was out trying to get the things we needed that there was one place that had the plastic shields up. I was getting stressed because there was a man behind me that was getting all up on top of me as I was trying to finish the transaction. I turned around and looked at him as I was handing the cashier the money and slammed my hand on that shield as I was trying to pay. Ouch! I glared at him and he finally backed up and I gave the cashier the money around the side. Ugh!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would also irritate me! I'm over seventy so I'm staying home. I found out that our Walmart Supercenter delivers. I placed my order online and chose the hour that they should deliver tomorrow. I also selected the option to have them leave my order on the porch. This is such a relief because asking my daughters to shop for me made me afraid they'd catch the virus being in the store for an extended length of time.
I live way out in the woods. No delivery for me!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, no! I live just outside the town limits and there's no transportation here unless you have a car.
I live about 15 miles outside the nearest town to us.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Sir, have you not heard that Covid-19 is highly contagious? I would appreciate it if you could keep your distance accordingly," would be a good reaction.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The thing to do there is to politely but firmly say "No, I'm social distancing" while physically being positioned so he can't cut in front of you. Obviously you want to take note of whether he has a cart full of groceries or whether he's carrying a lot of them in his hands. If the latter, be more accommodating. But this way, he has to be the jerk and make a scene if that's going to happen. Which may get him kicked out of the store or arrested.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I understood it's really up to stores, banks, post offices and gas bars to keep customers safe, and customers to respect their guidelines. All stores, banks, post offices and gas bars that I've been to have employees who monitor customers and politely remind you to social distance...it's been a difficult transition only because people simply aren't used to distancing themselves from others, but it's starting to be the new normal...but there will always be those few...

I would contact the store and tell them your experience as well as politely remind them it's their responsibility to help keep customers safe as much as it's a customers responsibility to respect social distancing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I forgot to mention that yesterday when I was out trying to get the things we needed that there was one place that had the plastic shields up. I was getting stressed because there was a man behind me that was getting all up on top of me as I was trying to finish the transaction. I turned around and looked at him as I was handing the cashier the money and slammed my hand on that shield as I was trying to pay. Ouch! I glared at him and he finally backed up and I gave the cashier the money around the side. Ugh!

Next time place your shopping cart behind you. That way he/she will be two shopping carts away (spread the word...save lives).

Upvote 0