Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Couldn't a priest preaching part of his sermon on Matthew 25 about giving alms be considered "guilt tripping" people into helping the poor? Chances are, he is saying those things because he wants people to give alms! He does want us to see that this is important and start doing it! My problem is that I don't believe God (or Christ) can be pigeon holed into any political party or side, and I think people try to do that all the time. Christianity shouldn't be reduced to a social outreach program but neither should the importance of helping them be downplayed either. Giving alms and helping others is an important part of Christianity. St. Basil the Great has some pretty harsh things to say about the wealthy.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesse guessed right.

I think I was clear on what was the heresy.

@Katherine2001, its hard to describe what I mean by the guilttripping. Its a very subtle way that many super liberal people go about saying that you ought to help the poor. One example would be that if you express the teaching of the Church on sexuality, they would refute that by reminding you that Jesus did not speak out against such things, but that he fed the poor and ate with sinners, etc. Does that make it more clear?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The bishops should be made aware of such groups. At this point in time not much we can do about them. Personally I don't sugar coat what the Orthodox Church teaches to inquirers , i don't care that it doesn't conform to western culture. If someone doesn't like it he can go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

freedomissacred

catholic artist
Nov 30, 2013
Texas
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jesse guessed right.

I think I was clear on what was the heresy.

@Katherine2001, its hard to describe what I mean by the guilttripping. Its a very subtle way that many super liberal people go about saying that you ought to help the poor. One example would be that if you express the teaching of the Church on sexuality, they would refute that by reminding you that Jesus did not speak out against such things, but that he fed the poor and ate with sinners, etc. Does that make it more clear?

(emphasis mine)

Yes, he ate with, but he did not sin with! :thumbsup:

This liberal method is very hard to refute because it is so subtle, yet so insidious. Sinister, in the truest sense of that word.

You notice it in all denominations in the grammar more than the actual ideas presented by hyper-liberals. For example, the switch from "us" to "them" whenever charity actions are discussed. I grew up in the old Catholic system in which poverty was a virtue, and so I began to notice this change when I returned to the Church (Latin rite) after years in the secular culture.

This switch involves an automatic demonization of the poor. It is unconscious, but embedded in the grammar. Now it is very common for anyone who is seen even slightly friendly towards "apparently" poor to be ostracized from their church. This is done through the liberal retreat and social groups within the church. Those groups are often led by atheist laity who are going along with the old practice of honoring the customs of the church on behalf of their families, social status, etc. but very careful not to actually engage in daily spiritual life.

It is not only in the Church, but also in secular life, this grammatical subtlety. How many people have noticed the change in English from using "who" for all references to a human subject to using "that"? I learned English grammar in the 60's and was taught that you say "the man who did this etc" and "the dog that did this, etc"

This seems like harmless linguistic evolution until you notice the rising tide of secular insistence that there is no such thing as a soul, mind, etc and now we are seeing the use of human beings as commodities in the medical field, and even our DNA is being turned into a commodity, "thing-ifying" all of us, denying God's gift of Life in all of us!

*sigh*

This is the path Progressives want us to progress on. :eek:

Upvote 0

freedomissacred

catholic artist
Nov 30, 2013
Texas
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The bishops should be made aware of such groups. At this point in time not much we can do about them. Personally I don't sugar coat what the Orthodox Church teaches to inquirers , i don't care that it doesn't conform to western culture. If someone doesn't like it he can go elsewhere.

The Bishops DON'T CARE! :mad:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup:

I deactivated. It was going to be just for Lent and then I thought... where is the value in continuing?

Exactly. I did that a few years ago when Zuckerberg made his anti-privacy stance well-known. Then, when Facebook started giving user info to governments that asked, I knew I had made the right decision. The main example, in my mind, is a guy in Egypt who criticized Islam who is now serving three-years of hard labor. I can't support a site that I consider partially responsible for that.

I don't need to know what my friends ate for breakfast, or everything they like on a particular day. They can text me or see me face to face if they want to communicate with me.

Upvote 0

freedomissacred

catholic artist
Nov 30, 2013
Texas
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. I did that a few years ago when Zuckerberg made his anti-privacy stance well-known. Then, when Facebook started giving user info to governments that asked, I knew I had made the right decision. The main example, in my mind, is a guy in Egypt who criticized Islam who is now serving three-years of hard labor. I can't support a site that I consider partially responsible for that.

I don't need to know what my friends ate for breakfast, or everything they like on a particular day. They can text me or see me face to face if they want to communicate with me.

Something most people don't know about Facebook is that in 2010 it changed its policies regarding deceased members and next-of-kin. It used to be that a page would be deleted if next-of-kin requested but then because of pressure from the militant anti-family lobby, Zuckerman decided that "friends" take precedence in the "community" over the wishes of surviving relatives.

Zuckerman's decision was made in favor of a mob who were attacking a memorial page of a young woman who committed suicide because of their assaults on her family choices. The mob then moved from attacking the family members to trying to get the family's memorial page pulled down because it included a fulfillment of the young woman's request that her last letter be published. It is an anti-christian, anti-life internet kind of hate-mob. Zuckerman, like most liberals, never even questioned that the young woman and her fiance were victims of militant hate-groups. (Her fiance, a young man, also committed "suicide". Both suicides were suspiciously orchestrated after months of harassment by hateful ideologues, like so many such cases.)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@RKO, you might want to consider paying more attention, if you don't mind me saying so. One's membership might be construed as a tacit approval of the group's ideas, beliefs, etc.

Some people might brush aside a FB group as being inconsequential, but I don't agree with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
@RKO, you might want to consider paying more attention, if you don't mind me saying so. One's membership might be construed as a tacit approval of the group's ideas, beliefs, etc.

Some people might brush aside a FB group as being inconsequential, but I don't agree with that.

I don't mind you saying that but don't worry about me. I pay plenty of attention to all sorts of things, and not only those with whom I personally agree. That FB group isn't exactly Westboro Baptist, so I don't mind being part of it. I don't agree with everything that is said there or here, but up to this point it hasn't caused a problem for them or me.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mind you saying that but don't worry about me. I pay plenty of attention to all sorts of things, and not only those with whom I personally agree. That FB group isn't exactly Westboro Baptist, so I don't mind being part of it. I don't agree with everything that is said there or here, but up to this point it hasn't caused a problem for them or me.

But as your 4th grade teacher told you: THIS WILL GO ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD!!! ^_^

Somebody remind me to join this group, next time I'm on FB :D

Reactions: ikonographics
Upvote 0

freedomissacred

catholic artist
Nov 30, 2013
Texas
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Facebook does have "mobs" in it and I have noticed recently that one of the most annoying mobs outside the internet, television newscasters, has been googling facebook as a form of research on any poor soul whose life lands them in the public eye. This can be anyone who happens to stumble into a situation where they lend a helping hand or are required to make some kind of witness statement, called for jury duty, etc.

But if you are a Democrat who wants to tweet weenies, that's ok with them. Just don 't say anything about teapots! Lois Lerner is watching! :pray:

Upvote 0