Winnipeg
✟8,803.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to why is fairly obvious: you have different approaches to Scripture. Homosexuality is not the only thing affected by this. I don't agree that he is deceived, but I know enough about traditional Protestantism to understand where you're coming from. How would you treat a friend who is Catholic, or following some other branch of Christianity that differs from yours in major ways? I don't think we can make that decision for you. I personally accept anyone with faith in Christ as their savior as a fellow Christian, even if I have serious disagreements with their theology. But I understand that other Christians don't agree.
The problem is that he and most gays try and justify their lifestyle and it not me that’s condemning him but he himself. I genuinely love the guy, but our relationship is just a shallow one as I can sense we are not on the same page as I will never agree on his lifestyle. I can tell the man is not at peace. If he was then I would be asking different questions.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The late Walter Wink was a world class Bible scholar and Professor of Biblical Interpretation at Auburn Theological Seminary, New York City. His essay
Homosexuality and the Bible is a thorough examination of the entire issue.

http://www.stpetersloganville.org/images/Homosexuality_and_the_Bible.pdf

I have included an excerpt below:

Where the bible mentions homosexual behavior at all, it clearly condemns it. I freely grant all that. The issue is precisely whether that Biblical judgment is correct. The Bible sanctioned slavery as well, and nowhere attacks it as unjust. Are we prepared to argue that slavery today is biblically justified? One hundred and fifty years ago when the debate over slavery was raging, the bible seemed to be clearly on the slave holders' side. Abolitionists were hard pressed to justify their opposition to slavery on biblical grounds. Yet today, if you were to ask Christians in the South whether the Bible sanctions slavery, virtually everyone would agree that it does not. How do we account for such a monumental shift?

What happened is that the churches were finally driven to penetrate beyond the legal tenor of Scripture to an even deeper tenor, articulated by Israel out of the experience of the Exodus and the prophets and brought to sublime embodiment in Jesus' identification with harlots, tax collectors, the diseased and maimed and outcast and poor. It is that God suffers with the suffering and groans toward the reconciliation of all things. Therefore, Jesus went out of his way to declare forgiven, and to reintegrate into society in all details, those who were identified as "sinners" by virtue of the accidents of birth, or biology, or economic desperation. In the light of that supernal compassion, whatever our position on gays, the gospel's imperative to love, care for, and be identified with their sufferings is unmistakably clear.

In the same way, women are pressing us to acknowledge the sexism and patriarchalism that pervades Scripture and has alienated so many women from the church. The way out, however, is not to deny the sexism in Scripture, but to develop an interpretive theory that judges even Scripture in the light of the revelation in Jesus. What Jesus gives us is a critique of domination in all its forms, a critique that can be can be turned on the Bible itself. The Bible thus contains the principles of its own correction. We are freed from bibliolatry, the worship of the Bible. It is restored to its proper place as witness to the Word of God. And that word is a Person, not a book.

"With the interpretive grid provided by a critique of domination, we are able to filter out the sexism, patriarchalism, violence, and homophobia that are very much a part of the Bible, thus liberating it to reveal to us in fresh ways the inbreaking, in our time of God's domination-free order.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Wink's argument is a reasonable one, but I don't think most of us actually use that. I honestly don't think Paul is talking about what we mean by homosexuality today.

However that's not really the main question for people like jonah55. We're always going to have disagreements. That's why I mentioned Catholics, who take a very different approach to Scripture than I do, and do a number of things that I think are wrong. What should my attitude be to a Catholic friend? Or is homosexuality somehow so different that differences on it make you non-Christian, while other things don't?

I sense in a number of discussions that people simply can't wrap their heads around the concept that Paul might actually not be saying what they think he's saying. Yet I think a plain reading says that. If you think we're just making excuses and can't possibly actually believe what we claim to believe, I can see this reaction. I don't know how to convince people that this isn't the case without sitting down in person and going through the texts line by line. CF rules don't permit that kind of interaction here. It's very frustrating.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The answer to why is fairly obvious: you have different approaches to Scripture. Homosexuality is not the only thing affected by this. I don't agree that he is deceived, but I know enough about traditional Protestantism to understand where you're coming from. How would you treat a friend who is Catholic, or following some other branch of Christianity that differs from yours in major ways? I don't think we can make that decision for you. I personally accept anyone with faith in Christ as their savior as a fellow Christian, even if I have serious disagreements with their theology. But I understand that other Christians don't agree.

The problem with that theology is that God doesn't feel that way. Its like saying their are Christians that believe in adultery and that's okay. It's just a different approach to scripture.

Which if course isn't scriptural. The Bible talks about sound doctrine and that scripture is there to teach us, rebuke us and reprove us and correct us. Paul says we are to stay away from wickedness. James tells us to put away filthiness and rampant wickedness. Paul tells us homosexuality is wickedness. The Bible says there will come a day when men will leave the sound doctrine passed down to us from the apostles. They will turn to false teachers. These are the days when this is happening when we can look at scripture and doctrine and say it no longer applies. We might as well say that I no longer need to listen to what scripture says and I can live my life any way I want. I am no longer held accountable. Theres scripture that addresses that too.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
i know i can search it on google but i want to hear from you, different voices.
my 2 sisters don't condemn homosexuality, are they lukewarm?

The sin of Homosexuality is not a sin in the same sense that Stealing is.

Stealing is a sin which has it's origin in the heart of man.

Mat. 12:35
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Homosexuality is a Curse, which was specifically placed upon all of mankind by God Himself, (Because of a specific reason).

Rom 1:18,19
18) For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19) Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just be careful, you may already be on the road to condemnation of someone for doing something else, and not even realize it.

One of the most dangerous positions for a Christian is to settle in a place where they know they are "right", thus making another person or group "wrong."

Why are you judging my friend?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you ask them why? That might be helpful to find out what mindset they are operating out of.

If they are young it could be they bought into the brainwashing of the public schools.
Some young people have gay friends that they love.
  • 1 Corinthians 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
  • Deuteronomy 10:12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
  • Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they are young it could be they bought into the brainwashing of the public schools.
Some young people have gay friends that they love.
  • 1 Corinthians 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
  • Deuteronomy 10:12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
  • Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
Good point. I think we need to teach the younger adults in our churches that as a church we must uphold the righteousness of God AND love our neighbor. Unfortunately most of the churches either focus on one or the other when we need to be doing both.

Unbelievers are not our enemy. They are our missionary field.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
You are treading on dangerously shaky "religiously judgmental" ground here, in that it is very easy to fall into Satan's trap of condemning the people caught in this. Jesus never did that. He loved even the most lowly sinner.

"For when we were yet sinners...….." Romans 5:8

(To only answer your isolated question, "Yes", the Bible does condemn the act of homosexuality.… in several places. Use your concordance or your computer's search feature.)

Actually was "religously judgmental". He said, "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil." John 10:7 Jesus loved people on his terms, not on their terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums