MidWest
✟10,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another question for my fellow believers.

A few years ago a great aunt died. I claimed bereavement pay at work for the funeral even though the person was outside the guidelines. It technically stops at grandparents and this was my grandma's sister. It gets you 3 days off with pay (so 24 hours). I feel bad looking back on it but I also know that I have a long history of working from home for free to help them out. Let's just say far more than 24 hours. Probably 100 at least. This doesn't even include the fact that I've been working in my normal role + performing the duties of the position above mine (the guy left) for the last year and a half and have been promised to be compensated for this and promoted to that position all while never actually seeing another dime. To me, I've more than made up for this with my free work from home not to mention covering for the guy they won't replace but I want to hear the opinions of believers. I don't want to lose the job since we are a single income family and because they need me to be honest. I have been responsible for a lot of positive progress in a job where we were doing things in ways that really behind the times and I'm dedicated to what I do. I also have no plans to discontinue working from home on my own time because I simply love what I do and enjoy helping out those that depend on my expertise. I can't even say I would be fired for it definitively, but from where I sit they don't know that she wasn't my grandma and they don't know how much free productivity they have gotten either.

I also ask for your prayers because I have had many struggles recently and I feel like my Anxiety/OCD has me going back into my life digging for failures to feel guilty about. I'm a guy doing the best he can and I've made a lot of positive changes but I also like to hear the opinions of others. I have often heard it's best to not to dig up the past and relive sins and I struggle with this recently. I know I'm not a horrible person and my "terrible" sins are probably not any different than anyone else's but I still feel bad about things. I appreciate your prayers, responses, and support. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
MidWest
✟10,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How were you able to ge the bereavement? Did you have to lie and say the relative was closer than they were?

Pretty much. They don't really check those things. I know it was still an actual relative who died and I did attend the funeral but I still fudged it a little. I feel all the free work I have done and will continue to do covers me and is worthy restitution several times over, but that's why I am here. I want to hear other opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much. They don't really check those things. I know it was still an actual relative who died and I did attend the funeral but I still fudged it a little. I feel all the free work I have done and will continue to do covers me and is worthy restitution several times over, but that's why I am here. I want to hear other opinions.
I know you wanted to hear from fellow believers, but allow me my penny's worth. I think you are looking for people to say that it's ok because of all the free work you have done and go along with you in your belief that it covers you and is worthy restitution several times over. No, that's a bit like saying that you stole 20 dollars from the charity box, but hey, over the years you have donated many more dollars to that charity, so that must cancel out your wrong action.
The fact is, you bent the truth in order to attend a funeral, but I doubt if your action adversely impacted on your employer. The only person this has had an adverse impact on is you. The solution, in my opinion, is for you do some more free work, as you did in the past, to cover the time you took off to attend the funeral. You don't ned to tell anyone, but it should ease your conscience in the knowledge that you have made a real restitution.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2018
MidWest
✟10,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can appreciate that. I wasn't expecting anyone to say that what I did was outright OK, but more so that I cover it properly. I do plan to continue doing uncharged work for many years to come just because I love what I do. Sometimes the juvenile inside tries to bend the rules. Thank you for your response.

Upvote 0