Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you suffer autism ---again find a hobby/activity that you can do and share with others. Writing, illustrating tracts maybe?

I've always thought there need to be better tracts than the ones I've seen that seem kinda dated like from the Billy Graham era. But it needs to be something not just online memes or witty church signs...ask God what it is He'd like you to do.

If you have a heart to reach people with the gospel in a fresh way then maybe thats whats needed.

Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alright, this is half a prayer request, and half advice, I decided I needed advice more than a prayer (not belittling prayer), so I posted here.

Basically, been depressed my whole life, it isn't a brain thing, I have identified the problem, and for 4 or so years, I've been trying to fix the problem.
The problem is loneliness, I am a very social person, living the life of an introvert.
I don't go out, I don't do anything, speak to anyone, I'm alone.

The life I live, is forced on me, it's either be miserable and alive, or die on the streets, I don't live in the best of towns, crime wise.
The best option for my physical survival, is to just live as I am now. But I fear my mental health is dwindling, and there isn't much I can do to save it.

Here is why it is forced, I have no license to drive and I cannot get one until I am 18, family rule.

I was forced to be homeschooled, even after expressing that I wanted, and needed to go to school.

And I was forced to not go to homeschooler events and that sort of stuff, basically I was forced into an anti social lifestyle.

I have reach an age now, where I can actually do something about it (17), but what that is, I don't know.

I've literately tried everything I can think of.

1. Befriend locals. Drunks, and meth heads are not good friends for a child.

2. Go to a church. I do, sometimes, it's the only place I can go, but the problem arises, the years of anti socialization, have made me inept at socializing like a normal human. I physically cannot just go up and talk to people, I've tried, and I've tried to force myself, it's not going to happen. I rely on them coming up to me and starting a conversation, which does not happen, because I look like a serial killer, being honest. I wouldn't approach me either.

3. Make friends online. I have, but it doesn't cut it, I need physical people.
Why? I'm not sure, text just doesn't cut it.
I need someone to care about me, and I need to be able to see it.
No one in my life cares, or loves me, not even my family.

4. Go to a store and talk to people, surely they're not bad people. Maybe, maybe not, but the point in 2 stands.

I've exhausted all I can think of, and all my coping mechanisms no longer work.

Every 4 months or so, I get in a state like I am now, I start getting extremely depressed, then eventually accept it, and move on.
I need to avoid the depression stage, and have nothing to accept.
I need to fix it, because before long, I will lose my mind.

I have 1 more year, before my license, and I gain my freedom (but how long after that will it take for me to actually be free), I don't think I'll make it another year, because each time this happens, I lose a bit of myself, eventually I will be nothing.

I think about a way out endlessly.
I do not attribute this suffering to God, I don't blame it on him, I know he loves me.
A year ago I didn't even have God, and a year ago I was worse, so that is an improvement. But I also see I'm sliding down a hill again, I'm just trying to keep my head above water until things can get better.
I will get to the point I was a year ago, before long.

There are other reasons I feel the way I do, not just the being lonely.
It's also the why, why was I forced to live like this, and why is it impossible for me to fix?
There's got to be a way out that I'm not seeing.

So, what do I do?

What would you do?

There are no bad ideas

I also want to note, I hate posting things like this, because I know it could be much much worse, I could have no legs, or not have this computer (which has been the reason I've stayed sane so long), it could always be worse. But that doesn't make a bad situation good.

I ask for prayers and advice, if you will, and Thank You, in advance.
(also if this is the wrong forum area I apologize, move it if you want.)

God Bless.

Wow, you're an excellent writer! If you're 17 you've had very good home schooling. Also, talking to people is something you can learn quickly. For instance, I've known for quite a while that I don't make a good first impression. It's weird but I just noticed that people were often put off by me initially but after a short amount of time I could "win them over".

Another thing about being 17, HELLO you've got forever to get this right my friend. Focus on the things you enjoy and get good at them because this is what draws people to you! I make pottery on a potters wheel and I'm good at it and it's like a magnet. People are fascinated by this. You could write a short story called, The World From My Window. The next thing you know you're at Barnes and Noble reading to a room full of admiring women!

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
I was in exactly the same situation as you. Unfortunately my situation hasn't improved much and I am now 24. Isolation really inhibited my mental functions and I just can't function a normal life. It is psychological neglect to the extreme.

I don't have an answer really, just that I empathise and know what you're going through.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is not really much further advice but..just a question. Why do you call yourself wolfe? Any reason.

Just think its strange for a christian.

If your parents are christians and homeschooling you then its not forcing you..they are teaching you. This is a blessing, not a curse.

When you are young there are many things in which you have not much choice. Most people have no choice in where they go to school. I didnt, i was the second daughter and just went to the school my older sibling went to, we all went to the same schools.

It would have been hard on my parents had their four children all going to different schools it was just a lot easier if we all went to the same one. My sister flourished, i ended up hating it. Yes..its unfair sometimes..but what could they do, we were not rich enough for me to ask special treatment and they resented me asking to go somewhere else. Anyway just take your worries to God and He can sort out what you need. He does set the lonely in families.

He gave me a cat when there was nobody else around that understood.

Upvote 0

Jacob Deng

Dec 21, 2016
Melbourne
✟20,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alright, this is half a prayer request, and half advice, I decided I needed advice more than a prayer (not belittling prayer), so I posted here.

Basically, been depressed my whole life, it isn't a brain thing, I have identified the problem, and for 4 or so years, I've been trying to fix the problem.
The problem is loneliness, I am a very social person, living the life of an introvert.

The life I live, is forced on me, it's either be miserable and alive, or die on the streets, I don't live in the best of towns, crime wise.
The best option for my physical survival, is to just live as I am now. But I fear my mental health is dwindling, and there isn't much I can do to save it.

Here is why it is forced, I have no license to drive and I cannot get one until I am 18, family rule.

I was forced to be homeschooled, even after expressing that I wanted, and needed to go to school.

And I was forced to not go to homeschooler events and that sort of stuff, basically I was forced into an anti social lifestyle.

I have reach an age now, where I can actually do something about it (17), but what that is, I don't know.

2. Go to a church. I do, sometimes, it's the only place I can go, but the problem arises, the years of anti socialization, have made me inept at socializing like a normal human. I physically cannot just go up and talk to people, I've tried, and I've tried to force myself, it's not going to happen. I rely on them coming up to me and starting a conversation, which does not happen, because I look like a serial killer, being honest. I wouldn't approach me either.

4. Go to a store and talk to people, surely they're not bad people. Maybe, maybe not, but the point in 2 stands.

Every 4 months or so, I get in a state like I am now, I start getting extremely depressed, then eventually accept it, and move on.

I have 1 more year, before my license, and I gain my freedom (but how long after that will it take for me to actually be free), I don't think I'll make it another year, because each time this happens, I lose a bit of myself, eventually I will be nothing.

I do not attribute this suffering to God, I don't blame it on him, I know he loves me.
A year ago I didn't even have God, and a year ago I was worse, so that is an improvement. But I also see I'm sliding down a hill again, I'm just trying to keep my head above water until things can get better.

It's also the why, why was I forced to live like this, and why is it impossible for me to fix?

So, what do I do?

What would you do?

There are no bad ideas

I also want to note, I hate posting things like this, because I know it could be much much worse, I could have no legs, or not have this computer (which has been the reason I've stayed sane so long), it could always be worse. But that doesn't make a bad situation good.

God Bless.
the chances of you having an environment like that in the future is rare, it may be a set up to enable you to do and/or to have certain understanding, as for me i'd view it as an opportunity, i had a similar experience, i'm glad i did too, it definitely saves you from a lot of the trouble the world has flying around, even though i like chatting with people this is how i direct that energy lol, here i am sitting at home, anyway it's an opportunity because it's like that wilderness where you're alone, you can either spend it on something you want to improve on (in yourself) because no wind is around to blow down whatever it is you're building up. aside from that, transformations can happen in a blink of an eye, do not think this is how your life will be forever, lastly are you born again?

Romans 8:29 "For those God foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers."

Upvote 0

Michael Scaman

Apr 16, 2016
Goshen, NY USA
✟12,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone is different but

1) get enough sleep and exercise, eat well
2) help others in meaning ways don't be a loner
3) read biographies of people from other ages that endured problems (see the swans are not silent series by Piper and if you can't afford them let them know they might just give them to you or use ebooks )
4) read the Psalms regularly
5) pick at least one church activity and stick with it getting to know a handful of people in a meaningful way
6) pick a section of scripture to meditate on every 3 months or so and camp in it deeply
7) pick a really great song and learn it by heart
8) try the fighter verse songs on you tube for scripture memory

Hope in God and don't give up

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't you have to walk about 3 miles to get to your church? Seems you made
a type of comment in that regard in one of your older posts. That's a long walk. My high school was one mile from home. Cannot even fathom taking a 3-mile hike to get to church on time.
It's actually closer to 2 and a half miles, which isn't really that far, it's about an hour or so walk, give or take depending on how I feel.

Knew what you meant. What is odd to me though is, why are there
220 robots listed in the summary as to those online?
I don't know what you mean.

Did you get out in the sun?
Sorry..just like to know if you do.
I do, I work in the yard, mainly to get rid of the dead birds that for some reason surround our house.

Remember Paul was in prison a lot and wrote half the new testament in letters. So its great you are writing. Writers do need solitude - to gather their thoughts and to write uninterrupted. Can you imagine working in a customer service job and always dealing with people, never getting a chance to sit down and think? So think of it as a blessing and a period of study...it won't always be like this. Paul suffered much and God allowed it because it was for His glory -
I study constantly, knowledge is one of the things that help.
And like I said, I wouldn't change a thing that happened, because through it all, I found my faith in Jesus, and the knowledge to back it up, historically and scientifically.

And I know, it's prolly for my benefit, I just wish I didn't have to feel bad through it.
Quite honestly, I'm mentally weak, not in intellect or brain power, or anything like that, but the amount of stuff I can take before I crack.

Parents want whats best for you even if it doesn't fit what you want...recognise they have faults but take up your worries with your Heavenly Father as he knows just what you need before you ask Him.
I know, and I'm not mad at them, and that's why they're not bad people.
They thought they were doing the thing that was best for me, which they weren't, and they sort of admitted it.
I remember one time, my Father said that he maybe should have put us in school, I'd call that admitting failure.
They're good people, I wanna make that very clear, I'm not ragging on them, but now they're virtually powerless to help me, for multiple reasons

This is not really much further advice but..just a question. Why do you call yourself wolfe? Any reason.

Just think its strange for a christian
I like Wolves, and Wolfe just looked better to me.

Why is it strange?
When you are young there are many things in which you have not much choice.
The thing is, I'm the only one who didn't have a choice.
I've racked my brain trying to figure out why, if it was money, or just impossible to do comfortably, I could understand it, and I'd be fine with it, but it couldn't be either of those, because he gave the other ones the choice, why single me out?

I was in exactly the same situation as you. Unfortunately my situation hasn't improved much and I am now 24. Isolation really inhibited my mental functions and I just can't function a normal life. It is psychological neglect to the extreme.

I don't have an answer really, just that I empathise and know what you're going through.
I'm sorry to hear that, I will pray for you.

I think what I'm going to do now, is just sort of take a leave from the studying, try to do the little social stuff y'all have suggested, see if that'll build me up enough to actually talk to people.

And in my downtime, write down all the knowledge, and everything I've learned, my thoughts on various things, etc.
Just to help my mind, that if I do go insane, or die somehow, the knowledge isn't lost, and it's all in a nice lil package for other people to have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Are you imprisoned in a shed or basement, isolated from all human contact? Doesn't sound like it. You may feel lonely, but you aren't, I think, truly alone. It might be helpful to be careful how you frame things in your thinking. Over dramatizing your situation can make you more unhappy than you really ought to be.

So, where does God fit into all this? If He were at the center of your living, life would feel much different to you. There is nothing more practical, more fundamental to good, joyful living, than proper fellowship with your Maker - even (and especially) in the midst of less than ideal circumstances.

Get a job. Go to college or university. Get your own place.

Every local in your town is a drunk or meth-head? Every, single one? That seems unlikely to me... Surely, there must be some people who are not under the influence of illicit chemicals or alcohol. I have found the elderly often make great friends. They have time to hang out, they have wisdom, and patience, and fantastic senses of humor. Certainly, a wise, good-humored, elderly man would make a far better friend than a meth-head.

2. Go to a church. I do, sometimes, it's the only place I can go, but the problem arises, the years of anti socialization, have made me inept at socializing like a normal human.

Well, there's no way to overcome this but to work at it. I was highly anti-social at your age but God helped me see that having friends wasn't just about me and what I wanted. Being a friend to others was a way to show them God's love. I couldn't be a conduit for God's love into the lives of others (which is the second greatest commandment we have from God) when I was absorbed with me and what I wanted. I couldn't love others as Jesus loved them when I was busy protecting myself from embarrassment, and awkward moments, and stumbling conversations.

One of the most excellent and helpful things I learned to do was ask people questions. It is amazing how eager people are, generally, to talk about themselves and their interests. Ask about family. Or work. Or hobbies. Usually what a person will offer in response to such questions will give you fodder for other questions. And be interested, genuinely interested, in what they say. Do these two things and you'll find conversations, generally, are surprisingly easy to have. And when this is so, friendships tend to develop much more readily.

Again, where is God in all of this? Does He have no bearing on how you live?

Maybe not. But reminding yourself of what you do have does give you a healthier perspective on your circumstances and encourages you to be grateful. There's nothing like counting your blessings to lift the curtain of depression and despair.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Keep in mind that vese 18 doesn't say, "For everything give thanks..." but "In everything give thanks." God doesn't expect you to praise Him for evil experiences. He doesn't expect you to say, "God, thank you that my little sister got run over by a car." But He does want you to be thankful to Him in the midst of such difficult situations. Why? Because He is with you, and cares about you, and has promised to work all things together for your good. (Ro. 8:28) And because He knows that when you are thankful, truly thankful, it is impossible for you to be sour and depressed.

Philippians 4:11-13
11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Hebrews 13:5
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Selah.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not having choices...you need to forgive your parents, i dont know for what reason that they would seem like they favour your siblings to you, but you mentioned you suffer autism, where perhaps the others dont.

In the bible read the story of Joseph and his brothers. He had eleven brothers! He was the favourite and his brothers were so jealous they wanted to kill him. They nearly succeeded. Anyway wont spoil the story for you if you havent read it already. Its in Genesis.

Sometimes life aint fair. But if you love God all things will work out for your good. Thats a promise. As christians we go through trials and tribulations..and it makes us stronger, refines us, gives us character. We are not cosseted all the time!

I just wondered about your name avatar as..in the bible wolves arent especially looked on with favour by Jesus. He looks after the sheep and keeps them away from wolves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Reaching out to others is a good thing. If you live in town that seems crime ridden..be the light Jesus calls you to be. The change starts with YOU.

I know you are young, and things get you down, i was the same at your age..but as I grew older I learned how to do things! i was not helpless..God sent me a helper. if God is for us, who can be against us? Trust the Lord. Dont fall into the trap of self-pity.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On another post, he did describe his room as about the size of a cell.
Well it's actually smaller than the average cell, but no, I'm not imprisoned.
And the room isn't forced on me, I didn't wanna share a room anymore with 2 other brothers, cause the sleeping schedules are all messed up, nobody could sleep well.

The imprisonment, would be that of my own mind, there's a mental wall that I can't get around.
The wall so to speak, is the result of the years of actual forced isolation.
I was always told I could go to school at high school age, 14, that time came, I was told no, and later told that I was forced, literately, not to go.

But before 14, I was forced to not go anywhere, only to the store with my folks.
And it's understandable, without going into much detail, there was some legal stuff surrounding the family around my age of 5 or 6 or so.
And we lived in a very bad area, still kinda do, but it's much better than before.
We lived next to a halfway house of sorts, where this woman would nurse mentally ill people, or something like that.
It was like 4 times a month, the police would be in our yard looking for a woman, or someone, that got out.
And the house directly across the street from us, was broken into, and the man who owned it was shot and killed.
So I fully understand that, it was not a good school district, and money was tight, was we couldn't spend a buncha gas money going to and from places a lot.
So then, it was in my best interest to stay home, cause it wouldn't have been hard for someone to kidnap me, or hurt me.

Sidenote: We also lived right next to an old chapel, that was somewhat abandoned, and there was a graveyard there aswell.
Has no bearing on anything, just interesting to me. Very creepy feel to it

Every local in your town is a drunk or meth-head? Every, single one? That seems unlikely to me... Surely, there must be some people who are not under the influence of illicit chemicals or alcohol. I have found the elderly often make great friends. They have time to hang out, they have wisdom, and patience, and fantastic senses of humor. Certainly, a wise, good-humored, elderly man would make a far better friend than a meth-head.
Not far off actually, they may not all be on meth, or drugs, or even drinking.
But they sure do act it.

Again, where is God in all of this? Does He have no bearing on how you live?
He has bearing on why I live, and the manner in which I do.
If not for God, I would most definitely have killed myself by now, I don't see the point in meaningless things.
And if God doesn't exist, which he does and I can prove it, in several different way.
Life has no meaning without God, you can be happy, and feel good, sure, but it's all pointless because everyone dies.
IF God doesn't exist, that is.
The former is a grim reality, but it's lucky that we don't live in such a reality.

That's the way I would, and did, see life without God.
At the end of the day, I'm ultimately happy, because one day, don't know when or how, but one day I will be with God, in Heaven.
I live my life, for God, sure, I do have my problems with sin, who doesn't.
Lust would be one, bein a teenaged boy. Coveting, I guess this post would fall into that one, I covet a life different than the one I live.
Can't say I lie very often, but one is too many.
But, I do always try to live my life as closely to the bible, as I humanely can.

I see God with me, through my life, he isn't silent through all of it, I can't exactly explain all the little details of it, but just some things that happen, it would be hard to chalk it up to chance.

God is not only the reason I live, but he also influences the way I live, through his words The Bible.

But it doesn't change the fact that I am lonely, fellowship is a big part of life, I feel.
Get a job. Go to college or university. Get your own place.
Well the plan is to enlist in the military, next year when I turn 18, so that would be the answer to those 3.

But that's then, this is now.
The only reason I am afraid now, is that I can see my mind slipping in certain places, my memory, the things I think I said vs what I actually said, things like that.

You're right, I should have a different outlook on it, and be happy in my situation, because of God.
But I'm not, and I can't. To do that I would have to change the way I look at my life, and I've tried to do that, look at it in a positive light, and it use to work, for a while. But then suddenly stopped. And now I need a new way to keep afloat.

The only way for me to fix it, would be to make friends, that is difficult because of my area, and my social anxiety caused by whatever.
I can talk to people, if I have a reason, it isn't so much the talking that gets me, it's the reason. I can't just go up to someone, say my name, and strike up a conversation, because I'm apprehensive.
If I see someone struggling, I will speak to them normally, and help them. But there is no further reason to continue the conversation, in my mind. What else would I say, or do? That wouldn't sound creepy.
I have a deep southern accent, and a deep voice, I'm bald and weigh 230 pounds.
I'm just a banjo twang away from being a deliverance character.

And I know what the response to that would be, that's self image, be confident.
It's unfortunately what people do, they judge on first glance, and I do not look friendly, even though I am.

I do live not but like 4 miles from a retirement home, could volunteer there or something, I'm sure they could use a young'n like me to help move stuff around or something like that.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

So, what do I do?

What would you do?

There are no bad ideas

God Bless.

I'm sorry for your situation. I'm an introvert and would be very disturbed if I had to live as an extrovert.

Don't have the time to read through the responses so some people probably have already suggested these things, but just in case:

Are you able to attend college at all? What about volunteering? Can you try to join like a meetup group or something like that? I'm trying to think of things where you are going to be surrounded by people and you kind of have to talk to them at certain times. The things you came up with like church and grocery stores are great for introverts 'cause you can go to those things and not have to talk to people.

Best wishes for you.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not having choices...you need to forgive your parents, i dont know for what reason that they would seem like they favour your siblings to you, but you mentioned you suffer autism, where perhaps the others dont.

In the bible read the story of Joseph and his brothers. He had eleven brothers! He was the favourite and his brothers were so jealous they wanted to kill him. They nearly succeeded. Anyway wont spoil the story for you if you havent read it already. Its in Genesis.

Sometimes life aint fair. But if you love God all things will work out for your good. Thats a promise. As christians we go through trials and tribulations..and it makes us stronger, refines us, gives us character. We are not cosseted all the time!

I just wondered about your name avatar as..in the bible wolves arent especially looked on with favour by Jesus. He looks after the sheep and keeps them away from wolves.
Whether I suffer autism or not (Which isn't proven), should it matter? They still had their choices, and they have their own problems aswell, and they regret their choice to stay at home. But that's the thing, it was their choice to do this, they did it to themeselves.

Yea, this does make me stronger in a sense, it's humbled me, it helps me understand people who go through similar things.

And I didn't really have the bible in mind when I named myself Wolfe, didn't mean it in a bad way.

I would equate this to a test.
I try to work on myself, to do the things I want to do.
And if it turns out God wants me in this position for a specific purpose, I'll stay, but until I know that to be true, I'll continue to try to fix it.

Upvote 0