What should I do? God won't convict me of sin! Help! Am I going to hell?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, so I know in order to get saved you need to repent. I have repented but when I did, I knew something was wrong. It clearly wasn't of God. How do I know this? Well according to the bible, it says you will have a change of heart when you get saved. Once you get saved, you will know it. The holy spirit will fill you with so much joy and you will have the desire to serve God and tell people about Jesus. You see, I never felt this. Please don't tell me you shouldn't base your salvation on feelings, because that is false. You will absolutely feel the spirit when you get saved because the BIBLE says you will. You will know when God is convicting you. I never knew if he convicted me or not. I never felt guilty of any sin, and when I currently sin, I do not feel bad for it. I never feel guilty of sinning against God. Now sometimes I feel bad for hurting people, but not God. If I call someone a name, later I may feel bad about hurting the person. But never God. I can't just ask God for forgiveness for hurting that person if I don't feel bad for sinning against God. That would be false repentance. I have to feel guilty for sinning against God and that person, which I never feel. It saddens me because I really want to go to heaven. I actually cried all night because I felt like God hated me for never convicting me of sin. I'm probably hell bound and there is nothing I can do. I literally begged God to convict me of my sin and to come into my life and fill me with his spirit, but it clearly didn't happen and you will know it when he does these things. I even thought about ending my life for about 2 hours. I just laid there on the couch, hoping God would kill me. I even prayed to the Devil so he would kill me, but instantly regretted it and changed my mind. I told God to not let that happen. I was very worried that the Devil would come into my body so I changed my mind. What do I do? God will not convict me of sin. It's the only way I can truly repent. I can repent but it will not be of God because I never feel bad for it. I only repent because I want to go to heaven, not because I feel guilty. Help! God won't convict me of sin and I don't want to go to Hell.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I know in order to get saved you need to repent. I have repented but when I did, I knew something was wrong. It clearly wasn't of God. How do I know this? Well according to the bible, it says you will have a change of heart when you get saved. Once you get saved, you will know it. The holy spirit will fill you with so much joy and you will have the desire to serve God and tell people about Jesus. You see, I never felt this. Please don't tell me you shouldn't base your salvation on feelings, because that is false. You will absolutely feel the spirit when you get saved because the BIBLE says you will. You will know when God is convicting you. I never knew if he convicted me or not. I never felt guilty of any sin, and when I currently sin, I do not feel bad for it. I never feel guilty of sinning against God. Now sometimes I feel bad for hurting people, but not God. If I call someone a name, later I may feel bad about hurting the person. But never God. I can't just ask God for forgiveness for hurting that person if I don't feel bad for sinning against God. That would be false repentance. I have to feel guilty for sinning against God and that person, which I never feel. It saddens me because I really want to go to heaven. I actually cried all night because I felt like God hated me for never convicting me of sin. I'm probably hell bound and there is nothing I can do. I literally begged God to convict me of my sin and to come into my life and fill me with his spirit, but it clearly didn't happen and you will know it when he does these things. I even thought about ending my life for about 2 hours. I just laid there on the couch, hoping God would kill me. I even prayed to the Devil so he would kill me, but instantly regretted it and changed my mind. I told God to not let that happen. I was very worried that the Devil would come into my body so I changed my mind. What do I do? God will not convict me of sin. It's the only way I can truly repent. I can repent but it will not be of God because I never feel bad for it. I only repent because I want to go to heaven, not because I feel guilty. Help! God won't convict me of sin and I don't want to go to Hell.
Hi; Romans 2 is Paul's great treatise on repentance; and Romans 8 is a very assuring chapter about the work of Christ and its effect on the believer.

• Useful
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now sometimes I feel bad for hurting people
<-- that is conviction of sin.

So, you do indeed have a conviction on sin.

For these sins we do, like this example you gave of hurting others (and most of us have done such also from time to time), we can truly confess our wrong/sin in our hearts directly to God, and when we do, we will be forgiven, and because we confess/repent we will be restored, we learn in the 2nd half of 1 John chapter 1.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

In addition to sins we do feel convicted about, we may also have sins we don't notice feeling guilty about, sometimes are not even aware of, because they are so habitual for so long it's like how how an alarm that has always been rigning is no longer heard after a while. We can do something about this! We can actually pray for help to find and be corrected about sins we have not been aware of, such as David does in Psalm 139.

Psalm 139 NIV
Search me, O God, and correct me for my wrongs, help me find them, and convict me to repent from them, and aid me to come to that repentance, and turn and follow all of your ways. We pray asking God our Father in the name of Christ Jesus our Savior, with faith that what we ask for will be given, because we can know this aligns perfectly to God's will, that believing in Christ, we should repent and turn from our wrongs.

We can't rely only on feelings, but need to listen to Christ's words to us, hearing them, so that we are changed over time by listening to Him, helped to be changed, by His words to us, helped to realize our wrongs, and turn and follow Him. For that, we actually need to hear Him, when He says to us "love one another" and "love your neighbor as yourself", so that we might follow Him. We need all His words, and that means reading/hearing them in an ongoing way, some every day.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, so I know in order to get saved you need to repent. I have repented but when I did, I knew something was wrong. It clearly wasn't of God. How do I know this? Well according to the bible, it says you will have a change of heart when you get saved. Once you get saved, you will know it. The holy spirit will fill you with so much joy and you will have the desire to serve God and tell people about Jesus. You see, I never felt this. Please don't tell me you shouldn't base your salvation on feelings, because that is false. You will absolutely feel the spirit when you get saved because the BIBLE says you will. You will know when God is convicting you. I never knew if he convicted me or not. I never felt guilty of any sin, and when I currently sin, I do not feel bad for it.
Not sure about any of this. I looked at some of your past posts. You have BPD, and I assume you are on medication for that? That kind of med can block any kind of feeling, including conviction. (I have known other christians on those meds)

You also said you were once in witchcraft. If you have not fully repented and had someone who is versed in the deliverance ministry pray for you, there may still be demonic attachments (NOT "possession") that must be broken. That can keep you from feeling God, His presence and His conviction.

to my mind, the fact you are concerned about this is one sign that you actually ARE saved.

Upvote 0

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
<-- that is conviction of sin.

So, you do indeed have a conviction on sin.

For these sins we do, like this example you gave of hurting others (and most of us have done such also from time to time), we can truly confess our wrong/sin in our hearts directly to God, and when we do, we will be forgiven, and because we confess/repent we will be restored, we learn in the 2nd half of 1 John chapter 1.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

In addition to sins we do feel convicted about, we may also have sins we don't notice feeling guilty about, sometimes are not even aware of, because they are so habitual for so long it's like how how an alarm that has always been rigning is no longer heard after a while. We can do something about this! We can actually pray for help to find and be corrected about sins we have not been aware of, such as David does in Psalm 139.

Psalm 139 NIV
Search me, O God, and correct me for my wrongs, help me find them, and convict me to repent from them, and aid me to come to that repentance, and turn and follow all of your ways. We pray asking God our Father in the name of Christ Jesus our Savior, with faith that what we ask for will be given, because we can know this aligns perfectly to God's will, that believing in Christ, we should repent and turn from our wrongs.

We can't rely only on feelings, but need to listen to Christ's words to us, hearing them, so that we are changed over time by listening to Him, helped to be changed, by His words to us, helped to realize our wrongs, and turn and follow Him. For that, we actually need to hear Him, when He says to us "love one another" and "love your neighbor as yourself", so that we might follow Him. We need all His words, and that means reading/hearing them in an ongoing way, some every day.

I don't really think it's conviction of sin. I believe it's my conscience, which isn't of God. I believe there is a difference between your conscience telling you something is wrong and God telling you something is wrong. Sociopaths and Psychopaths have no conscience. I do, which I'm not a Sociopath or a Psychopath. I thought I was for a long time until a therapist and doctor said I wasn't.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God will not convict me of sin. It's the only way I can truly repent. I can repent but it will not be of God because I never feel bad for it. I only repent because I want to go to heaven, not because I feel guilty.

You're caught in some kind of emotional/volitional trap, and the only way out of it that I see is found in the parable of the unjust servant, which you will find at Luke 16. In it, the Lord uses an extreme example to show that we have to be faithful with what we have if we want to have more. The analogy He uses is so outrageous that it is easy to get stumbled by it, but the more I have thought about it, the more wisdom I see in it, because our life situations can get very dark, and using such an extreme analogy is the only way to throw a life preserver.

God is good, my sister. Heb 11.6 tells us the faith that pleases Him believes so, and that He rewards those who diligently seek Him. Calm down, say No to all the desperation, and start trusting that He is going to see you through to the victory side. Remember, He is the Good Shepherd who leaves the safe flock to find the lost sheep. How then is it that He would not seek you?

Take heart, and do not allow the devil to mess with you any longer. If your repentance isn't perfect, just give to God what you have for now, and trust Him to "perfect that which concerns you" (Php 1.6). Remember, the devil is a defeated foe. Claim the Cross, and hold fast to it.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well according to the bible, it says you will have a change of heart when you get saved. Once you get saved, you will know it. The holy spirit will fill you with so much joy and you will have the desire to serve God and tell people about Jesus. You see, I never felt this.
Part of being saved is that you are no longer guilty. You are asking God to give you feelings of a guilt that you no longer bare.

As a Christian we are not gifted such that we will no longer sin. We are gifted with an internal conflict against sin. This is why Paul himself grieves in Romans 7 saying "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing."

You fear you do not desire God and yet you are cut to the heart that you failed to live up to His image. That is what desire looks like, desire to do good is not contingent on ability to do good.

The Holy Spirit 'testifies to our Spirit that we are children of God'. Romans 8:16 Of this testimony you already know.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't really think it's conviction of sin. I believe it's my conscience, which isn't of God. I believe there is a difference between your conscience telling you something is wrong and God telling you something is wrong.
That is true; but incomplete.

There is God's conviction - which says "You did wrong, but I will help you and forgive you and give you strength to overcome this." It is positive and uplifting.

there is also the condemnation of the devil, which says "you did wrong, you no good lousy sinner. God does not love you, He can't stand you. " It is always negative.

And then there is our conscience. It learns from both God and the devil. It even has a few ideas on its own (thanks to the tree of good and evil). It is ok sometimes but is not the best indicator.

BTW - there is a lot of legalism and pharasaic attitudes in the church regardless of denomination, and a LOT of "made up" sins that have no basis in scripture. (or are based on out of context scripture) God does not convict on those since they are not actually sins to begin with.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really think it's conviction of sin. I believe it's my conscience, which isn't of God. I believe there is a difference between your conscience telling you something is wrong and God telling you something is wrong. Sociopaths and Psychopaths have no conscience. I do, which I'm not a Sociopath or a Psychopath. I thought I was for a long time until a therapist and doctor said I wasn't.

Feeling guilty when you do wrong is a conviction of sin via your conscience. Our conscience is improved by faith in Christ and listening to Him, and strengthened. So, it's do-all-of-the-above things: listen to Christ, take in His words, confess directly to God when you feel your conscience nagging at you. Trust Him. Trust God. Pray to Him. One of the best prayers is to pray the prayer Jesus said to you and me to pray in Matthew chapter 6.
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6:5-15 - New International Version

Continue in this way, reading some of what Christ said each day, remembering His words later, praying the prayer He gave you, and relying on and trusting in God. Continue in these, and you will go in the right direction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Lord I lift Baptistgirl up to You right now for deliverance from ANY and ALL past spiritual strongholds and/or bondages.
Lord I pray in the all powerful name of JESUS CHRIST that You will lay the axe to the root of everything that is against her that is evil and therefore is NOT of You. I pray it then be cast out, as far as the east is from the west. Deliver and Clean this temple Lord, sealing it with the Holy Spirit and renewed peace.
We pray this in Jesus mighty name in which ALL evil must bow!

Upvote 0

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure about any of this. I looked at some of your past posts. You have BPD, and I assume you are on medication for that? That kind of med can block any kind of feeling, including conviction. (I have known other christians on those meds)

You also said you were once in witchcraft. If you have not fully repented and had someone who is versed in the deliverance ministry pray for you, there may still be demonic attachments (NOT "possession") that must be broken. That can keep you from feeling God, His presence and His conviction.

to my mind, the fact you are concerned about this is one sign that you actually ARE saved.

I'm on no medicine for BPD but I feel like I'm getting better by praying. I was into witchcraft but don't know why I stopped. I'm actually afraid to get back into that stuff because it's against the bible. AND I don't want possessed. I did when I was a teenager, but I would never want to be possessed now. My sister always prayed over me when I done witchcraft. Every time she came over, she would lay a hand on me and pray, not saying anything. I never told her to get away. I guess I liked the attention. I've always been a depressed girl. Oh well :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm on no medicine for BPD but I feel like I'm getting better by praying.
OK. As long as yu keep getting better.
I was into witchcraft but don't know why I stopped. I'm actually afraid to get back into that stuff because it's against the bible.
You are right, it IS against the bible.
AND I don't want possessed. I did when I was a teenager, but I would never want to be possessed now.
If you are born again, you cannot be possessed, which indicates ownership. No demon or the devil can own someone God bought with Jesus' own blood.

But you CAN have a demonic attachment, called demonization.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BAPTISTGIRL:

I do not read anywhere in the scriptures that say ones feelings will tell them if they are spiritually saved. That is a fleshly emotion. Salvatiion is of the mindset, it is not based upon feelings. It my be true that someone could feel better thinking that they are spiritually saved, but that is not biblical.
That brings up the question then of how does one know they are saved?
God knows before you do! He is the one who elects one to be spiritually saved or not. I can from my own experience over the 50 years or better say this. You will find yourself desiring to seek more about God and His Son, Jesus Christ. Mine came in pieces over many years of seeking.
I know that there are some Denominations that try and tell you that you have a great feeling when you are spiritually saved. I suppose that could occur rarely; but it is not the important thing.

If you are truly desiring to be spiritually save, put your mind on Him and ask Him to grant to you the Holy Spirit through Christ Jesus to give you help. Jesus said this: You have not because you as not. Ask believing and you shall receive it. Peace.

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wait, so demons are attached to me? Scary :O. But I don't feel like demons are attached to me.
I do not know if you have them or not. I said they CAN attach in situations like yours with the history of witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello dear sister,

Do not despair. God loves you and desires to save you. Does not His work in the cross prove that sufficiently?

Anyway, your thoughts and feelings are valid and true. I believe you hold very orthodox views in this matter, but you are unaware of it. This is God's grace, in my opinion.

Please message me privately and I can provide you with more of the truth. Unfortunately, many of the heretics on this board will very soon launch an onslaught on me for saying such things, but they do not understand the word of God. By God's grace, you have found the truth that they refuse to acknowledge. Let's talk privately, sister.

Upvote 0