United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I have never heard of a therapist or medical provider doing this before. What is it that I can do in situations like this or if it happens again?

I'm not sure where to even start when it comes to navigating a mental health clinic's system. They are my only option for a medical provider due to insurance and my family is paying for any other cost of my medical while in school which I'm temporarily having to take a break from due to having to improve my mental health.

Here is some background on my situation:

My therapist has acted very odd in the past. I started seeing her over my winter break. My dad had accompanied me to the first few sessions to talk about how to deal with my school in the midst of trying to get help for my mental/physical health issues, since I was experiencing severe and frequent panic attacks that were debilitating. I remember that when I started seeing my new therapist that it was to talk about past parental abuse, trauma, anxiety, and my other disabilities, but after experiencing the panic attacks and going too hard for too long with school I had to also take a break. I also am having to change course with my therapy some in order to go back to school which my parents are paying for everything including my room and board off campus. My therapist advised me to get a job, so that I can become independent of my parents. At first I said yes, but then I remembered that I was taking a break from school, work, and everything, because my mind needs to rest. So, the next time that we talked I expressed that to her and she totally disagreed. She kept pushing me to go with her method and get a job and she didn't want to change course with my therapy in the time being until my mind got the rest and rejuvenation that it needs and to work through my disabilities. I told her that I may need to get a different therapist to work with me. She said that she thought that wasn't what I needed, but I knew that the choice was up to me. She expressed that she was very concerned about me, my situation, and my suicidal/self-harm thoughts. Though, I was and still am having thoughts I haven't acted on them. She also told me that I was not ready.

Soon after this, I tried going to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription. They told me that they were unable to give it to me, since my file said that "I wasn't ready." When I asked them what that meant the pharmacist told me that she didn't know and that I would have to talk to my therapist about it. I also asked if there was more on my file and they said that they weren't allowed to share that with me. I left without getting my prescription. I told my therapist what happened and that she needed to take "I'm not ready" off of my file on the computer system, so that I could get my medication. She did, but later I ended up having more issues with her. I had told my family what was going on and my dad started showing up at my appointments again when I clearly expressed to him and to my therapist that I didn't want him coming to anymore of my sessions. When he forced himself in on me on coming and I told my therapist that I didn't want him coming in with us, she still let him in! I tried stalling by talking about other subjects other than the abuse. I had taken up most of the time during the session with filler, but my therapist said that I still had ten minutes. I expressed that I wanted to end the session early then, and I tried to leave. My dad pulled me down into my seat and my therapist saw and began writing notes. They both were pushing me to start talking. I told about some of the abuse in front of my dad due to high anxiety levels and wanting to solve conflict. He denied everything which made even more angry with him, since he showed that he wanted no resolve and wasn't being at all understanding. I brought up during one of our therapy sessions that I thought that I had a worry addiction. Sometime after we left, I called my medical provider to ask some questions and every time I did they all started asking me if I was worrying and that if I was I needed to stop worrying. They eventually told me that I had an addiction to worry that was on my file in their computer system and that was why they kept asking. I told my therapist and she told me that I had said it and that she told me that I didn't have a worry addiction. Then I asked why she put it in my file which she said that she didn't. Then I told her that it is in the computer system and that whatever she put as a worry addiction that she needed to take it off, since I can't even ask questions to my medical provider when I call. She took it off and told me that she was very concerned about me. The representatives, pharmacists, on the phone stopped asking if I was worrying and stopped talking to me about having an addiction. When I tried to go to one of the wellness classes that she enrolled me in the receptionist acted angry at me, asked what happened to my arm which I had injured months ago while exercising, handed me my paper work and told me that the classes aren't going to help me anyway. She also charged me which she wasn't supposed to for the classes, since I'm covered by insurance. I admit that I did yell at her. I was angry, anxious, and not in my right mind at the time due to high levels of stress and anxiety. When I told them that all my previous classes were free and that the other respectionist didn't charge me the other receptionist denied it. I was furious. I was suspecting that my therapist put something on my file about abuse which caused the receptionist to act this way. When I asked my therapist why she had done all of this, she explained that it was a part of her job and that it has to be taken very seriously upon me wanting to kill myself. I told her that I have been having suicidal thoughts, but as you can see I haven't attempted. You just made my path to recovery much more difficult. I tried getting a new therapist with the same medical provider. I called their mental health department to find out how to start that process and they told me that I didn't need a new therapist and refused to help me get a new one.

Long story short:

I have started over with the same therapist and she is telling me that I need to get a job again to become independent of my abusive/controlling parents, while I'm still in the midst of having my mind rest and dealing with my disabilities/mental health. I'm afraid that what happened last time with her and my medical provider is going to happen again. I won't be able to get my family, boyfriend, or his family involved like last time, because it didn't work out with that well either other than his family recommending their private therapist.

• Prayers
Reactions: JCFantasy23

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you don't feel comfortable with your therapist you have the legal right to request another one. Reminding the place of that might be the motivation they need to start the process of getting you another one.

However, ethically, she did the exact right thing (from what I read in your other post) in reporting your parents. If they're abusing you, and you're not in a situation where you can separate from that for whatever reason, she has a legal and professional obligation to report it. And I don't quite understand what you're looking to accomplish with this mind rest, but most therapists are going to be deeply concerned when you quit all your activities, especially if you are reporting any suicidal thoughts. I'm not saying there may not be a good reason for you to have taken a break; I had to take a medical break from school myself here recently, and I can tell you that, despite needing it, it has been mentally hard on me to not have that regular activity. If you are in a situation where you can't do school or work, telling her flat out and maybe beginning the process for disability might be a way to handle it.

I'll be praying for you. You have a complicated situation and I hope you can get the help you need.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Therapists are not required to report abuse on adults if the adult does not wish them to (otherwise no battered woman who doesn't want to press charges would seek help!) Your therapist is acting off and I don't understand the situation and what you mean about notes in your file. Is your therapist also your psychiatrist, and that is how she can control the medications? If you have a prescription, I don't understand a note saying "not ready" stopping you from getting them filled before you had to talk to her to fix it. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the system you are using, but it also sounds very frustrating. Put up a prayer for you.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone,

I have never heard of a therapist or medical provider doing this before. What is it that I can do in situations like this or if it happens again?

I'm not sure where to even start when it comes to navigating a mental health clinic's system. They are my only option for a medical provider due to insurance and my family is paying for any other cost of my medical while in school which I'm temporarily having to take a break from due to having to improve my mental health.

Here is some background on my situation:

My therapist has acted very odd in the past. I started seeing her over my winter break. My dad had accompanied me to the first few sessions to talk about how to deal with my school in the midst of trying to get help for my mental/physical health issues, since I was experiencing severe and frequent panic attacks that were debilitating. I remember that when I started seeing my new therapist that it was to talk about past parental abuse, trauma, anxiety, and my other disabilities, but after experiencing the panic attacks and going too hard for too long with school I had to also take a break. I also am having to change course with my therapy some in order to go back to school which my parents are paying for everything including my room and board off campus. My therapist advised me to get a job, so that I can become independent of my parents. At first I said yes, but then I remembered that I was taking a break from school, work, and everything, because my mind needs to rest. So, the next time that we talked I expressed that to her and she totally disagreed. She kept pushing me to go with her method and get a job and she didn't want to change course with my therapy in the time being until my mind got the rest and rejuvenation that it needs and to work through my disabilities. I told her that I may need to get a different therapist to work with me. She said that she thought that wasn't what I needed, but I knew that the choice was up to me. She expressed that she was very concerned about me, my situation, and my suicidal/self-harm thoughts. Though, I was and still am having thoughts I haven't acted on them. She also told me that I was not ready.

Soon after this, I tried going to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription. They told me that they were unable to give it to me, since my file said that "I wasn't ready." When I asked them what that meant the pharmacist told me that she didn't know and that I would have to talk to my therapist about it. I also asked if there was more on my file and they said that they weren't allowed to share that with me. I left without getting my prescription. I told my therapist what happened and that she needed to take "I'm not ready" off of my file on the computer system, so that I could get my medication. She did, but later I ended up having more issues with her. I had told my family what was going on and my dad started showing up at my appointments again when I clearly expressed to him and to my therapist that I didn't want him coming to anymore of my sessions. When he forced himself in on me on coming and I told my therapist that I didn't want him coming in with us, she still let him in! I tried stalling by talking about other subjects other than the abuse. I had taken up most of the time during the session with filler, but my therapist said that I still had ten minutes. I expressed that I wanted to end the session early then, and I tried to leave. My dad pulled me down into my seat and my therapist saw and began writing notes. They both were pushing me to start talking. I told about some of the abuse in front of my dad due to high anxiety levels and wanting to solve conflict. He denied everything which made even more angry with him, since he showed that he wanted no resolve and wasn't being at all understanding. I brought up during one of our therapy sessions that I thought that I had a worry addiction. Sometime after we left, I called my medical provider to ask some questions and every time I did they all started asking me if I was worrying and that if I was I needed to stop worrying. They eventually told me that I had an addiction to worry that was on my file in their computer system and that was why they kept asking. I told my therapist and she told me that I had said it and that she told me that I didn't have a worry addiction. Then I asked why she put it in my file which she said that she didn't. Then I told her that it is in the computer system and that whatever she put as a worry addiction that she needed to take it off, since I can't even ask questions to my medical provider when I call. She took it off and told me that she was very concerned about me. The representatives, pharmacists, on the phone stopped asking if I was worrying and stopped talking to me about having an addiction. When I tried to go to one of the wellness classes that she enrolled me in the receptionist acted angry at me, asked what happened to my arm which I had injured months ago while exercising, handed me my paper work and told me that the classes aren't going to help me anyway. She also charged me which she wasn't supposed to for the classes, since I'm covered by insurance. I admit that I did yell at her. I was angry, anxious, and not in my right mind at the time due to high levels of stress and anxiety. When I told them that all my previous classes were free and that the other respectionist didn't charge me the other receptionist denied it. I was furious. I was suspecting that my therapist put something on my file about abuse which caused the receptionist to act this way. When I asked my therapist why she had done all of this, she explained that it was a part of her job and that it has to be taken very seriously upon me wanting to kill myself. I told her that I have been having suicidal thoughts, but as you can see I haven't attempted. You just made my path to recovery much more difficult. I tried getting a new therapist with the same medical provider. I called their mental health department to find out how to start that process and they told me that I didn't need a new therapist and refused to help me get a new one.

Long story short:

I have started over with the same therapist and she is telling me that I need to get a job again to become independent of my abusive/controlling parents, while I'm still in the midst of having my mind rest and dealing with my disabilities/mental health. I'm afraid that what happened last time with her and my medical provider is going to happen again. I won't be able to get my family, boyfriend, or his family involved like last time, because it didn't work out with that well either other than his family recommending their private therapist.

I'm sorry your having difficulties. Wow long story you wrote, which suggests your really going thru a lot. I agree with your therapist and you also. You should consider getting out of the relationship. But also if you're having the mental need for rest, then that is also needed.

That said, you should consider getting a job after your rested. And try not to think too much about what's going on behind the scenes with your therapist. Anything you think is just speculation and can lead to paranoia which is not good.

I wanted to switch therapists and also had trouble, apparently I needed my therapists authorization. So I just left it alone. I see a therapist that can barely speak and my last one was schizophrenic and flew of the handle a few times. Therapy is sometimes helpful. Hang in there and never consider self harm, it's an inward response to an outward problem.

Maybe put a prayer wall request on this forum if you haven't already :)

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is bugging me that she didn't listen to your wishes about being alone in therapy when your dad forced his way in there, and then refused to let him leave too. I wouldn't personally be able to trust a therapist after that, and agree with you on wanting to change. It's not sounding like a good fit from what you've said.

• Agree
Reactions: Heartofsilver
Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Bride of Christ 4/8/17 Isaiah 54:5
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't feel comfortable with your therapist you have the legal right to request another one. Reminding the place of that might be the motivation they need to start the process of getting you another one.

However, ethically, she did the exact right thing (from what I read in your other post) in reporting your parents. If they're abusing you, and you're not in a situation where you can separate from that for whatever reason, she has a legal and professional obligation to report it. And I don't quite understand what you're looking to accomplish with this mind rest, but most therapists are going to be deeply concerned when you quit all your activities, especially if you are reporting any suicidal thoughts. I'm not saying there may not be a good reason for you to have taken a break; I had to take a medical break from school myself here recently, and I can tell you that, despite needing it, it has been mentally hard on me to not have that regular activity. If you are in a situation where you can't do school or work, telling her flat out and maybe beginning the process for disability might be a way to handle it.

I'll be praying for you. You have a complicated situation and I hope you can get the help you need.

Yeah, I know. I'm just worried about my family finding out and what they might do to me. I'm afraid of what happened last time happening again.
Yeah, it has been tough with having no schedule, so I have made my own to keep me active. I have still been going out and doing things that I need to do, though I need to do better lately of sticking to it. Plus, I have been spending time with friends when they are able to hang out. I have thought about getting on disability, but I don't know how, so when I asked my therapist she refused to help me with that as well, since she told me that I won't be needing it.
Thank God and thank you for your prayers. I'll be praying for all of you as well, in Jesus Name. :yellowheart::praying::heartpulse:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Therapists are not required to report abuse on adults if the adult does not wish them to (otherwise no battered woman who doesn't want to press charges would seek help!) Your therapist is acting off and I don't understand the situation and what you mean about notes in your file. Is your therapist also your psychiatrist, and that is how she can control the medications? If you have a prescription, I don't understand a note saying "not ready" stopping you from getting them filled before you had to talk to her to fix it. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the system you are using, but it also sounds very frustrating. Put up a prayer for you.
Oh ok well, she made it like it was absolutely required especially since, I was abused as a minor in the past and my parents may sometimes be around minor children. She had placed in the computer system where they keep patient's files. Any time I swipe my medical card, everyone at my medical provider is able to see my information. My therapist put down that "I'm not ready" plus other information that my pharmacist and other staff wouldn't reveal to me, since they told me that they weren't allowed to. No, she isn't my psychiatrist. Thank God and thank you for your prayers.

Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry your having difficulties. Wow long story you wrote, which suggests your really going thru a lot. I agree with your therapist and you also. You should consider getting out of the relationship. But also if you're having the mental need for rest, then that is also needed.

That said, you should consider getting a job after your rested. And try not to think too much about what's going on behind the scenes with your therapist. Anything you think is just speculation and can lead to paranoia which is not good.

I wanted to switch therapists and also had trouble, apparently I needed my therapists authorization. So I just left it alone. I see a therapist that can barely speak and my last one was schizophrenic and flew of the handle a few times. Therapy is sometimes helpful. Hang in there and never consider self harm, it's an inward response to an outward problem.

Maybe put a prayer wall request on this forum if you haven't already :)
I may have to seek a new therapist at a later time or I was thinking instead of telling my therapist that I need a new one maybe I should tell my medical provider directly at their mental health department. Yeah, I wasn't able to move forward in school or life without this break, since I'm trying to get my mental health in check now, so that I don't have any of these issues later. As for getting a job, I'm going to be doing an internship next semester that is going to take up a lot of my time and energy. I will also be exploring other avenues of my major duirng this time. I'm also going to be taking a hard class that is g I'll going to require me to write a lot of papers. I will also only be taking two courses to ease back into going to school. I tried working and going to school while at this new university and it was impossible for me to do both, so I had to quit my job and only work there during the summers, which this summertime taking a break from work as well. That is true, I have been having a hard time mentally at time worrying about my therapist when I'm afraid that they will not allow me to change therapists at this time. I don't trust my therapist, so I'm going to have to be careful with what I say to my therapist until I can finally get a new one which is making my situation more difficult. Oh I see, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not alone when it comes to difficulties with therapists. Thank you, that is very true. Thank God and thank you, yes I have placed a prayer request there as well.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you're describing sounds like an "abuse of power". Contact your local "Mental Health Ombudsman". They can help you BUT before you do, I would recommend that you take everything you said here and SHORTEN it down as best you can. For instance:

I would like a new Therapist because:
A) I don't feel listened to. It's her agenda only.
B) She abuses her power by blocking my medication
and stating falsehoods on my file
C) I don't feel safe with this person. She has forced
to speak about confidential matters in front of a
family member I didn't want to.
D) I don't feel empowered but instead I feel
powerless.

Document everything. If you are unsure about a question being asked of you, ask the person to repeat the question and give you an example. If you are in a situation you feel unsafe about get up and walk out. If anybody puts their hand on you call the police and have them charged with assault.

You are not alone. I've had to change "Medication Nurses" twice and in both cases, I wrote letters so they knew exactly what the issues were. Keep praying and doing. You will be alright. it may take a little time but know that God is with you. May His Peace and Guidance be with you.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you're describing sounds like an "abuse of power". Contact your local "Mental Health Ombudsman". They can help you BUT before you do, I would recommend that you take everything you said here and SHORTEN it down as best you can. For instance:

I would like a new Therapist because:
A) I don't feel listened to. It's her agenda only.
B) She abuses her power by blocking my medication
and stating falsehoods on my file
C) I don't feel safe with this person. She has forced
to speak about confidential matters in front of a
family member I didn't want to.
D) I don't feel empowered but instead I feel
powerless.

Document everything. If you are unsure about a question being asked of you, ask the person to repeat the question and give you an example. If you are in a situation you feel unsafe about get up and walk out. If anybody puts their hand on you call the police and have them charged with assault.

You are not alone. I've had to change "Medication Nurses" twice and in both cases, I wrote letters so they knew exactly what the issues were. Keep praying and doing. You will be alright. it may take a little time but know that God is with you. May His Peace and Guidance be with you.

Thank you so much for all of this advice and for sharing this with me. Also, how do you contact the Mental Health Ombudsman? That was probably one of the obstacles I was trying to figure out.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you so much for all of this advice and for sharing this with me. Also, how do you contact the Mental Health Ombudsman? That was probably one of the obstacles I was trying to figure out.

You can call the Obama care center in North America and connect with a medical adviser. Start there, they will direct you to another office though. You have to explain to them that you're mentally disabled and need help. That's the key, and they will help you. God bless you!

• Friendly
Upvote 0