• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What should I change my name to once I get baptized?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Al Masihi, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Ive been thinking of changing my distinct Arab Muslim name once I get properly baptized I thought of changing it to Heraclius or to Zakaria.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member

+4,043
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Did you obtain your current name at birth or after becoming Muslim? I only ask to say this... if the name you have was given to you by your parents, I would consider (or pray about) whether or not changing it would dishonor them. I am not saying it will... I am saying it is worth considering.

3. Al Masihi

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    My parents are divorced and I live with my mother and she wouldn't really care.

4. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+5,095
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Interesting. What are the reasons behind those 2 names?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. eleos1954

eleos1954 Well-Known Member Supporter

+393
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, if it were me, before choosing one, I'd first look up names one is considering and their meanings and where they came from. I'd pick a name that best describes your personal character.

Praise the Lord on your upcoming baptism.

God Bless.

6. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+2,754
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Many Orthodox and Catholic Christians are named based on the Saint's Day on which they were born. For example, if born on the Feast Day of Saint George, George would be a likely name.

7. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member

+4,043
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's fine... I was just wanting to throw that out for consideration.

8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+8,043
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    take a saint you feel close to, one you can cultivate a relationship with. and, talk to your priest once you move.

9. Al Masihi

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Is Heraclius a name of pagan origins since I was wondering if it comes from the name of the pagan Greek Demi god Heracles.

10. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Well-Known Member Supporter

+709
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    How about, Bill. Or Steve, or Mike. Jerry is a nice name. Ted? Or "Who" would be fun.

11. eleos1954

eleos1954 Well-Known Member Supporter

+393
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Perhaps choose a biblical name ... but ... look those up as well because they also have positive meanings and negative meanings. But perhaps could be a good place to start.

If you're not sure about a name, don't use it. Do your research. Pray about it.

God Bless.

12. Al Masihi

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Ive thought of changing it to Heraclius because I consider him the savior of the Byzantine empires he brought the empire from the brink of destruction at the hands of the Sassanids. I've also thought about changing it to Zakaria the Arab name for prophet Zechariah. I was born in February 14.

13. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,931
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    Zakaria would be closer to your own ethnicity.

14. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+13,150
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Our visitors perhaps don't understand the long-standing Christian tradition of choosing one's "Christian name" ... which is part of the normal language of many of us, without knowing what that means.

People are baptized using a name that is already identified with Christianity - so essentially a Saint's name, or being named for the Cross, Wisdom, or some other Christian word. Anastasia is the feminine form of Anastasis, which means "Resurrection" in Greek, and is also the name of several Saints.

Someone who is baptized must choose such a name, or have one chosen for him, and it will be the name used when he is prayed for by the Church, or receives a sacrament, etc. It's up to the individual what they want to be called outside of that.

But all Christians are given "Christian names".

I used to just think that meant "first name" as I grew up hearing the question sometimes, "What is your Christian name?"

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  15. Kajiki

Kajiki Member Supporter

+153
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I actually didn't realize this was such an often used thing...I wonder if they'd just have my name be used, Johnny, or shorten it to John or even choose a different one entirely.

(tbh I know it probably isn't something for me to worry about right now but honestly I'm the third. My first middle and last are the same as my father and his father but my grandfather was a horrid man...All respect due him however he was a murderous conartist member of the KKK who died alone long before I was born...I've always kinda wanted a different name...

16. Al Masihi

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    My grandfather lived in Greece among Greek Orthodox priests so he had an understanding of Christianity I even have pictures of him with certain Greek Orthodox Bishops.

17. ~Anastasia~

+13,150
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You can certainly keep the name "John" if you want. Or adopt a variation of it. Most people who have Christian names simply keep them. I had assumed I would take the name Anna since it is a Christian name, but my God family had other ideas and I chose to honor them.

But if someone wants an entirely new name, that is possible too. The priest would probably ask why to make sure the motives are good. If for example someone just wanted a very unusual name in order to stand out and be exotic or have people assume they are very pious - that desire would probably be gently addressed rather than just being fed.

18. ~Anastasia~

+13,150
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What a blessing!

By the way, if you were reacting to my post, I meant our many visitors who are posting without understanding the principle at all. Not you yourself. :)

Thank you for mentioning that so I could clear it up, if that's the case. I don't want to sound condescending to anyone. :) Forgive me that I hadn't considered that possibility.

19. Al Masihi

+1,207
    Saudi Arabia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Some times I had faith on his death bed he accepted Christianity. He was an ambassador so many important people would come to see him I think he met the patriarch once.

20. ~Anastasia~

+13,150
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You can pray for him. God will have always known what prayers you pray now and can certainly answer them as He sees fit, and we know the salvation of anyone is always His will for them.

If he was close with the Orthodox folks, chances are good they prayed for him too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List