What scriptures support praying to the saints?

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here's a few. I think these are all RSV.

Romans 15:30-32 I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Pray that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints there, so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed.

Colossians 4:3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison.

1 Thess 5:25 Brothers, pray for us.

2 Thess 3:1 Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you.

2 Corinthians 1:11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf of the blessing grated us in answer to many prayers.

Heb 13:18-19 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way. I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Here's a few. I think these are all RSV.

Romans 15:30-32 I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Pray that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints there, so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed.

Colossians 4:3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison.

1 Thess 5:25 Brothers, pray for us.

2 Thess 3:1 Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you.

2 Corinthians 1:11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf of the blessing grated us in answer to many prayers.

Heb 13:18-19 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way. I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon.

I think you got the question wrong....he said "pray to saints". You can and should pray for other saints but you do not, I repeat, you do not pray to anyone but God.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you got the question wrong....he said "pray to saints". You can and should pray for other saints but you do not, I repeat, you do not pray to anyone but God.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I think so too

Romans 15:30 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

My new favorite...

Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Phil 1:19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer,and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Phil 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Acts 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

1John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

God bless you

Reactions: Lion King
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ex: "Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."

The request is to a Saint, asking them to pray TO God for us, on our behalf. That is the definition of intercessory prayer. The only difference between this request and asking others is the Saint is already in our Lord's presence. It is called a "prayer" because of the nature of the communication, but that does not change the fact that the intention is to have that person pray UNTO God for us. It is a very special prayer request. If the Saint were standing next to us, it would be no different than just asking them to remember us in their prayers.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hope you don't ask any friends to pray for you then.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Jesus says the if two agree ON EARTH they shall ask, even brethren asking brethren on earth even as Paul shows

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what's the problem. Saints in Heaven are not dead and we ask them just like you all pray to your friends for pray

Jesus specifies on earth, which is why I pasted this one

So Jesus is speaking of just two on earth (specifically) agreeing and asking.

Afterall even Jesus said in that day ye will ASK ME NOTHING, and yet through Him we come to the Father, he also said that he was NOT saying that even He would pray the Father FOR them.

He mentions nothing of others in heaven doing that, nor to ask others in heaven to do so, except to ask the Father. However he does specify they which agree on earth (specifically so) and ask the Father would do for them.

Reactions: Lion King
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus specifies on earth, which is why I pasted this one

So Jesus is speaking of just two on earth (specifically) agreeing and asking.

Afterall even Jesus said in that day ye will ASK ME NOTHING, and yet through Him we come to the Father, he also said that he was NOT saying that even He would pray the Father FOR them.

He mentions nothing of others in heaven doing that, nor to ask others in heaven to do so, except to ask the Father. However he does specify they which agree on earth (specifically so) and ask the Father would do for them.

Every time your asking your friend you are praying to them. Just because we use a certain definition of a word does not mean it is the only one. I will go by Church history and the Church Fathers through Holy Tradition (which Scripture came out of)

The Bible directs us to invoke those in heaven and ask them to pray with us. Thus in Psalms 103, we pray, "Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!" (Ps. 103:20-21). And in Psalms 148 we pray, "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his host!" (Ps. 148:1-2).

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us. In the book of Revelation, we read: "[An] angel came and stood at the altar [in heaven] with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God" (Rev. 8:3-4).

And those in heaven who offer to God our prayers aren’t just angels, but humans as well. John sees that "the twenty-four elders [the leaders of the people of God in heaven] fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints" (Rev. 5:8). The simple fact is, as this passage shows: The saints in heaven offer to God the prayers of the saints on earth.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus hadnt any problem with that, he even says where two on earth agree:thumbsup:

To the OP the only place I can catch a similitude of prayer in the OT is th incense offered to the queen of heaven. They also appealed to tradition as to why they did it in this way...

Jerm 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

Which is ironic that they pointed out what was traditionally done (us and our fathers etc) and not only that in the doing so they actually had plenty and saw no evil, or at least felt so but then...

Jerm 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.

Well, I suppose because someone could say, Yea ,"but I am blessed, I have plenty I never see evil etc" ... but here under what was false they had those same things. I always thought that was very interesting about that there... "we will do as we say" (not the Lord) and we will do it as our fathers (tradition so to speak). Seems tradition is spoke of somewhat here.

However its not a scripture which lends support to praying to the saints in heaven, even Jesus said, in that day ye wont even ask me, but the Father. But it shows people who supported doing things traditionally so in a like manner, not to God in otherwords.

But cant find any examples of praying to anyone in heaven save maybe they who worshipped the queen of heaven, and werent going to give that up no matter who was sent to them.

Jesus instructs us on the matter, and what he says on the matter of prayer is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time your asking your friend you are praying to them. Just because we use a certain definition of a word does not mean it is the only one. I will go by Church history and the Church Fathers through Holy Tradition (which Scripture came out of)

Praying to the Saints | Catholic Answers

You added to your post while I was posting

I was born into a catholic family, my aunt was a nun most of her life I know:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But also, if I might add, Jesus said he called his disciples freinds, however he still added ask in my name, and that they will ask him nothing, nor that he was saying that he would pray the Father for them.

So, I suppose if we went the freinds route, he called them freinds, but still said where two agree ON EARTH

So I wouldnt say to Jesus, "whats up with that? Cant I ask someone else besides the Father in heaven or what"? ^_^

Im making light, but its like whats wrong with what he did say there would be my question, sure you could pray assuming they are there and might (possibly agree) but how would you know?

Im not "really" asking because I already know how it will most likely go, but for me what Jesus said is good enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, I was quite amazed at the list of patron saints, looks like a million of them. Theres a clothesdryer patron, a patron for clowns, even a coffeehouse keeper patron, one for a chandeliers (?) The list is endless for almost every earthly good (or problem) under the sun, in respects to hooking up with the best afterlife person for the job of agreeing with you on clowns, or whatever you thing.

Its like a yellowpage book holding lists of the deceased to whom to call upon for some really strange things. Like a list of everything under the sun someone who has passed (as told you) would agree with you on "something" (pick you thing) because everything is right there it seems. So, these are they which will definately agree with you on some of these oddly named things?

Clothesdryer patron? Clowns, losts keys, scabs, rats, bald people, bartenders, unatractive folks, stamp collectors, stockbrokers, zoos?

Heres the list, is it for real?

Patron Saints Index Topic List

Upvote 0