What scriptures brought you to a Messianic practice?

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings, Brethren. I know what brought me to an understanding that viewing the Law, the Sabbath and the holy days was congruent with the good news of this new covenant through Yashua/Jesus our Lord, and I would love to hear what brought you here. Not all of us were raised in the Jewish or Messianic tradition. Many of us came from the Catholic or Protestant tradition and a certain convincing happened that caused us to agree with the Messianic observations. Please share your story here. I do not intend this thread to be a forum for critiquing or criticizing your point of view. I just want to hear your story and then look at the Scriptures and scriptural concepts you mention in order to benefit my own understanding and the resources I can share with others. Thanks in advance! And Shabbot Shalom!

Roberta McCaslin

Charismatic Messianic Writer
Nov 26, 2019
Edmonton
✟9,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Shalom and greetings mishpocha! I was Lutheran then married a man who became Assembly of God pentecostal with me, on our journey to becoming charismatic Messianic Torah Observant/Netzarim. My husband and I went through a season where the Almighty was interacting with us frequently in prayer, dreams, and visions. First He spoke to me in a dream in Hebrew, then we were lead to contemplate the Kerry Alexander song, Question. We got this HUGE hunger to study for something, something, and we kept up massive studies during this period. We came across Jim Staley's teachings on the pagan roots of holidays and some of Christianity and it smote our hearts. I had a dream where the Almighty told me He didn't even want us to go into any place that had put up a Christmas tree, these things were so foul to Him. Actually so many things happened to guide me over my lifetime into charismatic Messianic position that I wrote a memoir about it meant for anyone but especially for women, called Demons Are Afraid Of Me - A Mayflower Descendant's Life In America, now available on Amazon or free file copy of the book to anyone that asks me. The scripture that sealed the deal for my husband and I is Matthew 5:17-19...with that, our hearts were sold out! My husband later strayed from God/YHWH wildly and left me, but he left behind a poignant Messianic testimony on youtube when we were still on fire together and learning that is called Bad Boy Cowboy Miraculously Healed By Jesus In Montana. He is currently making his way back to the Almighty in slow steps. Both of us and our teen daughters currently read and study from the Halleluyah Scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I was born into a charasmatic movement, Evangelism Today, in Los Angeles.

My earliest memories are being surrounded by a congregation speaking in tongues, rallys at parks, and street preachers and bullhorns!

Looking back, it was an awesome time with plenty of fun!

My Mom remarried to a good man she met during this time, but we moved out of the big city and into a smaller desert community.

So, things slowed down quite a bit and my Stepdad is a thinker, so we transitioned to a more mainstream evangelicalism.

I mean, I wasn't in to any of the religious stuff, I was just required to attend "church" with my parents.

Fast forward a bit and I had left home at an early age and was really headed the wrong way; crime, drugs, etc...

I ended up at L.A. Teen Challenge. This is where the Message came alive for me and I committed to following The Messiah. This is an Assemblies of God ministry.

After I graduated and completed an internship I (wanting to be the good son now) became a member of my parent's church. They had become Reformed Baptists. So, there were some intellectual gymnastics going down on the mat of my head during this time. Not to mention that I had already been through some drug induced psychoses during my street punk days.

Also, during this time, my young mind was being influenced by a landlord who I can only identify as a Catholic/Gnostic/Mystic looking back on it.

So, it became necessary for me to expand my mind, if I was to ever wrap it around so many influences.

To speed this story up, I pretty much went through the whole gamut of christianity, including Catholicism and Adventism (I know right).

Really, it was the Fundamentalist view that bolstered up the idea of the Sabbath being unchanged and all the principles that lead to an honest look at what the Bible is actually saying, instead of all the eisegeting that goes on with so many other viewpoints.

*I never joined the RCC, I just attended services and read a bunch of their literature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Shabbat shalom.

These three were biggies:

(CLV) Jer 10:2
Thus says Yahweh: The way of the nations, do not learn, And by the signs of the heavens, do not be dismayed, Though the nations are being dismayed by them.

(CLV) Jer 10:3
Indeed concerning the statutes of the peoples, it all is vanity, For one cuts it down, a tree from the wildwood, The work of an artificer's hands with an adz;

(CLV) Jer 10:4
With silver and with gold he makes it lovely; With nails and with hammers they fasten it, so that it cannot quaver.

(CLV) 1Co 5:8
so that we may be keeping the festival, not with old leaven, nor yet with the leaven of evil and wickedness, but with unleavened sincerity and truth.

(CLV) Ex 12:14
Hence this day will become for you a memorial, and you will celebrate it as a festival to Yahweh. Throughout your generations shall you celebrate it as an eonian statute.

Upvote 0

Rachel Rachel

Messianic/Church of God 7th Day
Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2013
In the middle
✟328,556.78
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For me it wasn't really any particular scripture, it was after reading the Bible cover to cover. I know that Gentiles are grafted into the cultivated tree.

And I believe the outcome of the Jerusalem Council was that Gentiles should, in their own time, learn God's Law.
Acts 15:
19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.

Do I believe that we must adhere to all the Orthodox Jewish practices that have been added to God's instructions? No.

Edited to add: my path was Assembly of God, to Messianic, to Church of God 7th Day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Greetings, Brethren. I know what brought me to an understanding that viewing the Law, the Sabbath and the holy days was congruent with the good news of this new covenant through Yashua/Jesus our Lord, and I would love to hear what brought you here. Not all of us were raised in the Jewish or Messianic tradition. Many of us came from the Catholic or Protestant tradition and a certain convincing happened that caused us to agree with the Messianic observations. Please share your story here. I do not intend this thread to be a forum for critiquing or criticizing your point of view. I just want to hear your story and then look at the Scriptures and scriptural concepts you mention in order to benefit my own understanding and the resources I can share with others. Thanks in advance! And Shabbot Shalom!

Greetings. The Psalms express an extremely positive view of the Torah, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, and I realized that I held the polar opposite view of the Torah in spite of the fact that I considered the Psalms to be Scripture. For example, in Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who...delight in the Torah of the Lord and who meditate on it day and night. I even had these verses memorized as a kid, but for they didn't sink in earlier. We can't truly believe that the Psalms are Scripture and therefore express a correct view of the Torah while not allowing what they say about the Torah shape our view of it.

Upvote 0

GedaliahMaegil

Messianic Ger Toshav - not christian
Jun 19, 2020
California
Visit site
✟71,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Colossians 2:16-17 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

This triggered my search. After much prayer and study, it developed into a full fledged growth in faith in Yeshua and His Ways, His Truth, and His Life. It took 40 years before I found others who were lead this way too. I have been fellow shipping here ever since.

Upvote 0

GedaliahMaegil

Messianic Ger Toshav - not christian
Jun 19, 2020
California
Visit site
✟71,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Colossians 2:16-17 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

This triggered my search. After much prayer and study, it developed into a full fledged growth in faith in Yeshua and His Ways, His Truth, and His Life. It took 40 years before I found others who were lead this way too. I have been fellow shipping here ever since.

I'm sure the fact that the word "is" isn't in the text of verse 17, between body and Messiah, helped as well. Just how did that word get in there ... ? Hmmm ...

Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure the fact that the word "is" isn't in the text of verse 17, between body and Messiah, helped as well. Just how did that word get in there ... ? Hmmm ...

There are actually quite a few words added to that verse. This is closer to how it actually reads:

Col 2:17
which is being shade of the being about the yet body of the Anointed.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not so much one scripture, but a searching for my religious path. I went from Methodist - Roman Catholic - questioning - Judaism proselyte - Messianic.

That path took me into Jewish anti-missionary information. Frankly that education was invaluable to me on how to interpret scripture in a more Jewish manner, not from a Western/ Greek position only. Passages talking about how the Law is forever, the Priesthood is eternal, of course where Yeshua speaks of the Law. Putting it all together leads one to see things from a Messianic perspective rather than just "Christian".

I still enjoy listening to talks by Rabbi Tovia Singer as my personal journey has led me past many of his arguments. He has his place with Jewish people, and that does not affect my belief in Yeshua any longer. His perspective is important as it gives a Jewish response to many "Christian" interpretations of things that are just wrong, or not the only interpretation.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't through scripture. The 3rd person of the Trinity lead me into intense self-examination and that lead me onto this section when i realised i'm a left handed Benjamin who was more interested in the military and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and N.Ireland than the Kingdom of Heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One would think it would be to most people. Sadly, only a remnant ...

A remnant of both Hebrew and Gentile believers saved by the blood of the lamb. Some unfortunately won't accept the call, Hebrews and Gentiles. It was the same in the OT, even some Israelites wouldn't accept Christ and be obedient to the 10 commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums