Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well in context Jesus previously in the chapter was speaking against the Pharisees before making this statement. Especially the school of Shammai that were the more rigorous on the Halacha of the law. Very into the minutiae of the law for the law's own sake, rather than "the spirit of the Law" that intention of law was aimed at a positive end, and the details of the specific commandments can be fudged, over ridden etc. if that goal is not being met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mat 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest

What is this rest that Christ offers?
It's a spiritual rest. When people are tired of struggling against sin and strict legal requirements that are unreasonable, the spirit is oppressed. Jesus offers the power of the Spirit to overcome sin, and freedom from unreasonable legal requirements, so that the spirit of man is at rest. It means no more futile fighting in the under-conscious mind. It means God is directing the life, and the person experiences the freedom to do what they want, knowing that God is directing what they want in life, namely the righteousness of Christ. Another way of saying it is "blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." It is the rest that comes from being satisfied that one has a right standing with God, and is accepted no matter what happens.
TD:)

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OUR REST IN CHRIST IS THE GOSPEL REST OF BELIEVING AND FOLLOWING GOD'S WORD

The rest in Matthew 11:28-30 is the gospel rest we receive by believing and following God's Word. It is the rest from condemnation of breaking Gods' law, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God *Romans 3:9-23. The gospel rest is forgiveness of sins and the rest of being a slave to sin and death being made free to walk newness of life in the Spirit of life and peace *Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-4; Galatians 5:16; Romans 3:31; John 8:31-36

Romans 8:1-4
[1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4], That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

May you receive Gods' Word and be blessed.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest

What is this rest that Christ offers?
Hebrews 4; when we enter into His timeline (will). We fell out of His timeline (will) in the Garden of Eden and we separated from Him to create our own will.Now, through Jesus, we can enter His rest by entering again into His timeline (will) by being born again. That’s why we should pray, “may His will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven” because God’s will is done in His timeline (Will-in Heaven) which is eternal.

• Agree
Reactions: garee
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews 4; when we enter into His timeline (will). We fell out of His timeline (will) in the Garden of Eden and we separated from Him to create our own will.Now, through Jesus, we can enter His rest by entering again into His timeline (will) by being born again. That’s why we should pray, “may His will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven” because God’s will is done in His timeline (Will-in Heaven) which is eternal.
are you saying the rest Christ offers is the same that was available when "we fell out of His timeline in the Garden of Eden"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OUR REST IN CHRIST IS THE GOSPEL REST OF BELIEVING AND FOLLOWING GOD'S WORD

The rest in Matthew 11:28-30 is the gospel rest we receive by believing and following God's Word. It is the rest from condemnation of breaking Gods' law, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God *Romans 3:9-23. The gospel rest is forgiveness of sins and the rest of being a slave to sin and death being made free to walk newness of life in the Spirit of life and peace *Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-4; Galatians 5:16; Romans 3:31; John 8:31-36

Romans 8:1-4
[1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4], That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Gospel rest isn't really a definition it's just another term. If Christ's rest = gospel rest then what is gospel rest?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rest from our oppressive "self".
Rest from works, from striving, from empty pursuit.
Rest from running away from Him, then
peace in His presence
So if Christ's rest is the antithesis of these things then his rest is inner peace, freedom, purpose driven pursuits, and following?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Gospel rest isn't really a definition it's just another term. If Christ's rest = gospel rest then what is gospel rest?
Well that is not true as I never said Christs rest is the gospel. I said we receive Christ rest through believing and following Gods' Word. Jesus (the Word of God) is the gospel. JESUS is the living Word of God *John 1:1-4;14 and it is to the Word of God (Jesus) we must come to through faith *John 10:17; 1 John 5:4 to receive rest from our burdens of sin and death. Those who receive the gospel rest do so by believing and following Gods' Word *John 10:26-27.

Matthew 11:28-30 [28] COME UNTO ME, ALL YOU THAT LABOR AND ARE HEAVY LADEN AND I WILL GIVE YOU REST. [29], TAKE MY YOKE AND LEARN OF ME; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and YOU SHALL FIND REST UNTO YOUR SOULS.[30], For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Romans 8:1-4 [1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. [3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4], That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Without Jesus all we have is sin and death because all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God *Romans 3:9-23. So yep Jesus and His Word is very good news (gospel) indeed as is the rest from sin, condemnation and death through His forgiveness that he purchased for us all with His own blood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
to receive rest from our burdens of sin and death
That's more of the definition I'm speaking of, thanks for clarifying. Btw I went through your scripture references and is no clear path to these verses and the discussion of rest plus no explanation as to how they fit. I haven't brought in a topic of law but that appears to be a point your discussing based on the scripture you've included but without explanation I'm confused of their purpose or role here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good Day, Damian

The rest that is better than the rest under the dead OC.

Read Hebrews 3, and 4.

Or here Be Diligent to Enter God’s Rest

In Him,

Bill
What connection are you making with this rest and the rest of the OT? Do you mean the Sabbath? Are you saying it is a different rest that supercedes it or is it the same rest with better way of obtaining it?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's more of the definition I'm speaking of, thanks for clarifying. Btw I went through your scripture references and is no clear path to these verses and the discussion of rest plus no explanation as to how they fit. I haven't brought in a topic of law but that appears to be a point your discussing based on the scripture you've included but without explanation I'm confused of their purpose or role here.
Your confused how exactly? I think the scriptures provided you in the last post you micro quoted that you left out in your post here are pretty clear. They say we receive rest by coming to Christ (the Word of God) by believing and following Gods' Word. Not sure why you are finding it difficult.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What connection are you making with this rest and the rest of the OT? Do you mean the Sabbath? Are you saying it is a different rest that supercedes it or is it the same rest with better way of obtaining it?
No one enters into God's Rest (seventh day Sabbath) without first receiving the gospel rest from sin and death that we receive by coming to Christ (the living Word) and believing and following Gods' Word according to the scriptures in Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your confused how exactly? I think the scriptures provided you in the last post you micro quoted that you left out in your post here are pretty clear. They say we receive rest by coming to Christ (the Word of God) by believing and following Gods' Word. Not sure why you are finding it difficult.
Most of your references are absent the word rest. Just posting scripture means little if it can't be explained. I'm looking for clarity not confusion and dumping a whole pile of scripture that have no apparent connection to the topic right now is promoting confusion.

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0