What reasons would be that I would be sent to hell when I die?

Eunoia

Aug 19, 2017
Unknown
✟1,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello. I've been terrified of being sent to hell for a very long time now.

I don't know why I am. I have a Bible that I take very careful care of. It has no rips or tears or anything. I always put God first before anything and anyone. I know and accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I believe in Him dying on the cross for all our sins. I accept that I sin and take full responsibility for it. I have asked for His forgiveness and totally feel He forgave me.

But what are the reasons I would be sent to hell? I have major anxiety about everything. It's truly really bothersome. So your answers will truly help reassure me, thank you. :D <3

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I don't know why I am. I have a Bible that I take very careful care of. It has no rips or tears or anything. I always put God first before anything and anyone. I know and accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I believe in Him dying on the cross for all our sins. I accept that I sin and take full responsibility for it. I have asked for His forgiveness and totally feel He forgave me.

But what are the reasons I would be sent to hell? I have major anxiety about everything. It's truly really bothersome. So your answers will truly help reassure me, thank you. :D <3
I am Christian but I do not believe in hell. I feel God would not send anyone to a place of eternal torment. I have chronic pain disorder and it makes me know what constant pain feels like and I then understood that God could not do that to a human being. I only believe in heaven.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion you should concern yourself with your Christian walk and strengthening your relationship with Christ, rather than worrying about hell. Do the best you can. Know that God loves you, despite your shortcomings.

Upvote 0

Sea Horse

Aug 28, 2017
Kielce , Świętokrzyskie
✟8,647.00
Country
Belarus
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I am Christian but I do not believe in hell. I feel God would not send anyone to a place of eternal torment. I have chronic pain disorder and it makes me know what constant pain feels like and I then understood that God could not do that to a human being. I only believe in heaven.

Really o_o what about Hebrews 12:29 ?

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

John 3:3-15 Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." (4) Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" (5) Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. (6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (7) Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' (8) The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." (9) Nicodemus said to him, "How can these things be?" (10) Jesus answered him, "Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? (11) Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. (12) If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? (13) No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. (14) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, (15) that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

Romans 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!"

2 Corinthians 7:1 Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.

2 Timothy 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 8:31-32 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, (32) and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Imagine you had a child. Imagine you raised your child, and that you loved that child more than life itself.

Now imagine the circumstances in which that child disappointed you so much you decided to throw them into a fire; not just an ordinary fire, but one in which your child would burn forever. Can you imagine such a scenario? Is there any situation you can imagine when it would actually happen?

Me neither.

Then the question becomes; are you capable of being a more loving parent than God is? If the answer is yes, then your concept of God is inadequate. If the answer is no, then eternal hellfire as traditionally taught in many churches becomes impossible; it is indeed totally impossible. I don't care what the Bible says; God is not a Psychopath.

So then we turn to the Bible to find out what the fire actually is, and we find that God is represented as fire many times, and that his fire is not one of destruction but of refining; we are tested in his fire in order to burn away the dross from our lives and leave behind the pure gold that is Christ's image in us. Moses speaks to God in the burning bush; Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego stand in the fiery furnace and are not harmed; therefore we can conclude that the fire which is God's presence is another way of describing his holiness, which is too pure for anything impure to remain anywhere near.

Aiui, this is a standard interpretation within the Orthodox church, and it is one I am happy to share with them. God's fire is one of refinement, not punishment. We either face that refining in this life or the next, but sooner or later we all face it. The major anxiety you are already coping with is part of this refining process.

Therefore the answer to your question becomes, no, you will not ever be sent to hell. You have already been there, you are being refined by it, and if you carry on as you are, being faithful every day, you will emerge from the trials of this life fully fit for heaven.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

You are right. :)

Hell is not a place of eternal torment; insofar as it exists it is a place of purification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Sodom and Gomorrah were not refined by fire and brimstone, but became an example of what God does about sin.

The Bible refers to those who will never see light. Darkness has been reserved for some people forever.

For those who choose to put themselves beyond God's salvation the wages of sin is death; ie eternal oblivion.

Not eternal torture in some ghastly torture chamber.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Where were the devils/uncleans spirits afraid of going - to be refined -or tormented? This lake of fire is also where evil/people that died in their sin will end up. Jesus was asked - if they would be tormented before the time.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about hellfire, much of it very, very dodgy indeed. The question is very simple; is God psychopathic or not?

Mine isn't.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The only way into Hell is voluntary.
You must refuse to Trust God.
That's the only way in.

PS Welcome to the forum, Brand New Member and first time poster.

Reactions: Theadorus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are right. :)

Hell is not a place of eternal torment; insofar as it exists it is a place of purification.
I agree. If it exists- it is a place of purification not eternal torment.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what are the reasons I would be sent to hell? I have major anxiety about everything. It's truly really bothersome. So your answers will truly help reassure me, thank you.

Greetings
There is Only One Reason any one sends them selves to hell.....

That is REJECTING Jesus and His Salvation.
However we must strive to continue to walk in His Ways.

Blessings
FCJ

• Agree
Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know and accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I believe in Him dying on the cross for all our sins. I accept that I sin and take full responsibility for it. I have asked for His forgiveness and totally feel He forgave me.

But what are the reasons I would be sent to hell? I have major anxiety about everything
All those in Christ escape judgment and inherit eternal life. You already know the truth, but there is an emotional stronghold of fear that you need to overcome. Jesus says that if you remain in His word, you will know the truth and it will make you free (jn 8.32). The word there for "know" is gnosko, which implies deep knowledge, even as relations between a husband and wife. The more you understand Christ's love, the freer you become. Perfect love casts out fear, and God is love (1jn 4).

The way forward, I would suggest, is meditation on the word of Christ and what He did for you, and all its implications, and prayer, fasting, and obedience to the Light you are given.

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. -Gal 5:1
Edit: One other thought. Make sure you know the difference between grace and law/performance. The law condemns, but grace sets free. Try reading Romans 6-8, 2Cor 3, and the book of Galatians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

forget about hell (at least fictitiously), and think about inevitable eternal circle of existence and positions of the souls - whatever you do to another, the same will be done to you (during its course)...

Matthew 7:1-12

Blessings

• Friendly
Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Heavens! This thread is a mess.

This one I find helpful, Eunoia:
All those in Christ escape judgment and inherit eternal life. You already know the truth, but there is an emotional stronghold of fear that you need to overcome. Jesus says that if you remain in His word, you will know the truth and it will make you free (jn 8.32). The word there for "know" is gnosko, which implies deep knowledge, even as relations between a husband and wife. The more you understand Christ's love, the freer you become. Perfect love casts out fear, and God is love (1jn 4).

The way forward, I would suggest, is meditation on the word of Christ and what He did for you, and all its implications, and prayer, fasting, and obedience to the Light you are given.

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. -Gal 5:1​

You see, without wanting to sound condemning of you in any way shape or form (trust me), there is a telling statement in your OP:
Hello. I've been terrified of being sent to hell for a very long time now. I don't know why I am. I have a Bible that I take very careful care of. It has no rips or tears or anything. I always put God first before anything and anyone.

It is admirable to cherish your Bible, but what He wants most is for you to READ IT, and get it down in you. I have a bunch of Bibles, and the one I use most is a disaster. It's got rips and tears and tape keeping it together in several places, lol. It's got folds and stains and still it soldiers on like a real trooper. :)

I'm just saying, He said, "If My words abide in you, and you in Me, ask what you will and it shall be done for you." This means that if you conform yourself to His will by giving your life to meditating on the scriptures, you will begin to know (there's that word Paul1149 used again) and pray His will, and as a result you will start seeing your prayers answered more. And in seeing your prayers answered, you will know all the more that He loves you and that you are being pleasing to Him, and are guaranteed of Heaven. While they may mean well, don't listen to those who simply try to tell you to "feel" saved or tell you to force yourself to believe it when you really don't. Change your behavior by giving yourself more to the things of God until you feel the opposite; until you feel like you are being pleasing to God. It's time to build up your confidence in God by making a lifestyle change (2 Peter 1:5-11).

Upvote 0