✟17,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
<rant>
I was just thinking to myself (and bashing a friend over msn about this) about how rude we have become.

I work at Big W there are two things that really annoy me about people these days...

There is Trendy Jane who is one her phone the whole time and does not acknowledge anyone around her and when it comes to the being served stays on the phone...

This one annoys me to no end "do you play basketball?" or "how is the weather up there" (just so you know i am 6ft4 or 194cms)

The business type people who demands a price check on a 60c item....

and the Mum who constantly argues about things regarding her child... Children are not allowed to climb on the rails that separate registers so i asked this one kid to hope down (nicely) and the mother just said to me "he is a 4 year old boy he is meant to be climbing on things" and i just said "well they aren't that strong enough for a child to play on" and she said "well perhaps they should be" and i'm thinking to myself "fine if your kid falls and cracks his head open its not a big issue for me"

</rant>

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
<rant>
I was just thinking to myself (and bashing a friend over msn about this) about how rude we have become.

I work at Big W there are two things that really annoy me about people these days...

There is Trendy Jane who is one her phone the whole time and does not acknowledge anyone around her and when it comes to the being served stays on the phone...

This one annoys me to no end "do you play basketball?" or "how is the weather up there" (just so you know i am 6ft4 or 194cms)

The business type people who demands a price check on a 60c item....

and the Mum who constantly argues about things regarding her child... Children are not allowed to climb on the rails that separate registers so i asked this one kid to hope down (nicely) and the mother just said to me "he is a 4 year old boy he is meant to be climbing on things" and i just said "well they aren't that strong enough for a child to play on" and she said "well perhaps they should be" and i'm thinking to myself "fine if your kid falls and cracks his head open its not a big issue for me"

</rant>

So do we work on improving our manners...or do we alter our expectations and idea of 'good maners'?

I will admit to being on the phone once or (VIP call) going through a cash register :blush:, but I am never rude to the cashier. :sorry:

Ignorant parents used to annoy me when I worked at Liquorland...so I can understand that. (parents plopping their kids on the desk whilst I rang up their order..very dangerous with a crawling toddler!) so I can understand that.

Chin up, at least you haven't been replaced by a machine :D

Upvote 0

KristyAnne

Veteran
Sep 17, 2005
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Visit site
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ignorant parents used to annoy me when I worked at Liquorland...so I can understand that. (parents plopping their kids on the desk whilst I rang up their order..very dangerous with a crawling toddler!) so I can understand that.

I have done this sometimes. It's not ignorance, it's necessity. Imagine you have a squirming toddler, an armful of groceries, both arms are going numb from the weigt of it all, and your toddler is about to take a nosedive. It's actually easier to rest them on the counter while supporting their upper body (stopping them from escaping), it's safer than having them completely dive out of your arms. It's especially convenient if you need one hand free to get the money out.

I don't do it often, though, only when I don't have the pram with me (this only happens when I have to use a train station that only has stair access).

Re: checkouts, I am always polite to cashiers, I used to be one, so know how appreciated good manners are. I'm usually the one to initiate the "how are you sequence", it throws a lot of them off :)

Kristy

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It might be conveniant for you, but it's not conveniant for me or the store owners when the child crawls off the bench and falls to the floor, then the parent sues...plus the child has an acquired brain injury....Either put the kid in a pram or don't take them shopping. Also I was talking about a liquor store, where the parent has often put a few glass bottle on the bench before placing a curious child there....and yes I had to clean up one broken bottle of wine flung to the floor by a child sitting on the bench.

Anyway its unhygenic.

It really annoys me when....parents walk around shopping centres pushing an empty pram, allowing the child to toddle around, often into the path of oncoming people....and thus either hurting the child or forcing the person to twist or dodge the child in such a way that could cause injury anyway. (this happened to me last night)

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Skinnybrad, all those things would annoy me too :thumbsup:

And tying to be a peacemaker :) I think the 'toddler on counter' dispute is being understood differently by the two of you.

If I'm reading this right, tigercub is talking about a parent placing a child on the counter without any form of restraint, so the child can crawl/wriggle/climb/fall off.

KristyAnne is talking about resting the bottom of the child on the counter while the parent still has an arm completely around the child, in a weight relieving capacity. This child in this instance is fully restrained by the parent and can't go anywhere.

Just trying to help :D

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And as for what annoys me? At the moment, buses that are late.

Yesterday we (4 children and I) were visiting a friend's house and needed to catch a bus from home to the station (bus interchange), then catch a different bus to their house.

There should have been a 9 minute wait for the second bus.

But instead our bus was about 8 minutes late, so by the time we got off at the station and walked over to the other bus stop....... there it was driving away :mad:

We had to wait an hour for the next one.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟13,806.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<rant>

</rant>

Yeah I could see why that would annoy you. My son has done this on more than one occasion, it's so hard to keep them still. Not that I let him do it, remember kids aren't misbehaving until they actually do it.

I have done this various times with both of mine.

I would never let them crawl away, I would only do what Sparrisidee described it. Place them up there, with arm around restrained while looking for the cash.

There is a gap between the age most kids will happily sit in a stroller/pram, and the age where they can be trusted not to run out the door.

I think it's more ignorant to let them run out the door to be run over by a car or anything just as horrible.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And as for what annoys me? At the moment, buses that are late.

Yesterday we (4 children and I) were visiting a friend's house and needed to catch a bus from home to the station (bus interchange), then catch a different bus to their house.

There should have been a 9 minute wait for the second bus.

But instead our bus was about 8 minutes late, so by the time we got off at the station and walked over to the other bus stop....... there it was driving away :mad:

We had to wait an hour for the next one.

Argh what a pain!

evilimukt8.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What annoys me......well where do I begin......

<my rant>
The thing that is really annoying me at the moment is if I leave my car parked on the road right out the front of my house, within sight, that someone will come and throw and egg at it once it gets dark. Or like last year when my husband left his car out overnight (we have a double carport but length ways, which means sometimes it's more convenient to leave either car out) and we woke up to a tin of baked beans and peanut butter over the side.

I was really annoyed when I found an egg on my car last week and you know what I thought was how pathetic it was that someone has done this for fun(???) but then hey what is the 'fun' in it if they don't hang around to see what the persons reaction to it will be. I just don't get it. I was fuming let me tell you.:mad:

Upvote 0

KristyAnne

Veteran
Sep 17, 2005
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Visit site
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Either put the kid in a pram or don't take them shopping.

Did you see the part where I said I can't use a pram when I need to use a train station that has stair access only? Believe me, I've tried to carry a one-year-old, hold the hand of a three-year-old, and carry a pram up three or four flights of stairs, and it aint pretty! And, as I am a single mother who has her kids 24/7, they go where I go, so not bringing them is not an option.

And tying to be a peacemaker :) I think the 'toddler on counter' dispute is being understood differently by the two of you.

If I'm reading this right, tigercub is talking about a parent placing a child on the counter without any form of restraint, so the child can crawl/wriggle/climb/fall off.

KristyAnne is talking about resting the bottom of the child on the counter while the parent still has an arm completely around the child, in a weight relieving capacity. This child in this instance is fully restrained by the parent and can't go anywhere.

Just trying to help :D

That's exactly what I meant, thank you for clarifying :)

Kristy

Upvote 0

HotToast

Laughmaster
Aug 29, 2005
✟19,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
<rant>

</rant>

This really annoys me too. I remember a few months ago I was at the chemist and on the end display there was no shelves, but the support brackets where still up. They were the type that was very easy to come out. There was a toddler climbing on them, and her parents were busy chatting away to someone and couldn't even see her from where they were standing. I told the toddler to be careful, or something like that. It was only at that stage that the parents came over to see what I was saying to her.....:sigh:

Yes I have no problem telling someones kid not to do something, if it isn't safe. It is second nature to me...I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The thing that is really annoying me at the moment is if I leave my car parked on the road right out the front of my house, within sight, that someone will come and throw and egg at it once it gets dark. Or like last year when my husband left his car out overnight (we have a double carport but length ways, which means sometimes it's more convenient to leave either car out) and we woke up to a tin of baked beans and peanut butter over the side.
i've only had an egg thrown at my car once. but last night someone threw up all over the side of my car, i came out to my car this morning to find my door covered in dried vomit & saliva.

Upvote 0

skinnybrad

Australia's own Christian punk kid with attitude
Sep 6, 2004
Brisbane Australia
✟17,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i've only had an egg thrown at my car once. but last night someone threw up all over the side of my car, i came out to my car this morning to find my door covered in dried vomit & saliva.
oh sorry mate :p just kidding wasn't me if you said last week then i could of done it ;)

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
<rant>

that's not just rude, that's totally out of her job description. She should be fired for blatant disregard of customers and ignoring standard work ethics!

I think rudeness stems from thinking only for the "self". Working in the service industry, you also get a lot of this kind of things from customers. Whether it be your fault or theirs, some of them just love to make a huge fuss out of it, as if the whole world's gonna collapse on their heads. Seriously!

*disgusted*

Upvote 0