• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What Proposals From The "Progressives" Will Become Law

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by mark46, Dec 25, 2020.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    True, but that's politics for you. At any given moment, someone's probably burning you in effigy.

The progressives will get a few things, with a promise for more in the future, and they'll grumble about it not being enough -- business as usual.

Perhaps, but while the progressives may grumble and complain, Pelosi has done a good enough job of keeping them in line when it comes time to vote. Of course, that's easy enough when the main goal has been stopping whatever scheme Donald's trying to ram down America's throat. We'll see what happens in the new administration.

I wouldn't worry about the Senate -- McConnell won't allow any progressive policies; it remains to be seen if he'll allow anything off his desk.

2. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+5,122
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Nothing progressive will be passed. Absolutely nothing. The democratic party is 99% conservative on every issue except gay marriage and abortion. They are just about as much bought and paid for as the Republicans.

3. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,276
    Presbyterian
    Single
    "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

See Role of the States in Regulating Federal Elections | Constitution Annotated | Congress.gov | Library of Congress. That clause has been interpreted to include redistricting.

"Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members ..."

I believe this delegates to the House control of the elections for the House. They could refuse to seat anyone that comes from a gerrymandered district.

I'm aware that Democrats have done this in the past. That should be stopped as well. With computer programs, it's gotten a lot more insidious. However there are also now reasonable tests for assessing the degree of gerrymandering. It's time to do something about it. There are practical issues with having one house do it, so realistically it will have to wait for the first time Democrats control both houses.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. hedrick

+9,276
    Presbyterian
    Single
    The Covid bill includes at least some environmental regulations, and also a prohibition of surprise medical billing.I think some progressive laws are possible. Nothing big though. A number of things were passed under Obama. Simply implementing them will also be progress.

"But contained in the bill are a number of provisions that represent a clear advance in the US stance on the climate crisis, at the end of four years of Trump administration attacks on environmental protections.

"By the far the most significant of those advances is the commitment to phase out hydrofluorocarbons, HFCs, which are widely used as coolants in air conditioners, fridges and cars.

"Under the terms of the relief bill, most HFC use would end by 2035. The overall global impact of such a firm gesture by the US could lead to 0.5C of avoided warming this century."

"Among other measures in the bill that have received praise from environmental groups are extensions to tax credits for renewable energy technologies. Offshore wind could enjoy a particular boost with the incentives lasting five years."

"A further area of significant reform is the pot of $35bn provided for research and development in a range of innovations designed to confront the climate crisis. They include the creation of more efficient batteries, carbon capture, and advanced nuclear reactor technology."

Environmental groups hail Covid relief bill – but more needs to be done

5. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Oh, I strongly agree that improvements to the law will happen. My doubts have to with the progressive agenda, those items they want that are to the left of the views of the Democratic Party.

6. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,743
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Better data has enabled the gerrymandering to become a lot more effective than it was. Republicans also do it a lot more than anybody did in the past.

7. Richard T

Richard T Well-Known Member

+811
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    There are some good ideas in these posts. You are right too that it is the bureaucracy that implements past laws that can make changes quickly. On packing the Supreme Court, Joe Manchin from West Virginia said he would never vote for that, so I think that is off the table.

The biggest issue is economic assistance from the covid lockdowns. Biden will restrict the economy more, and the voices for more money will be very loud. A focus on state and local government bailouts, followed by more business bailouts and finally more rent, food and cash assistance. The number could be so big that we will see higher interest rates and inflation from the dollar receding.

Higher spending will be accompanied by higher taxes. Capital gains will go up, as will taxes on higher income groups.

I think we may see something on gun control. More background checks or waiting periods, to restricting certain types of weapons and magazines. Possibly tax on ammunition or something along those lines. Some of this might be unconstitutional but that will take awhile to find out.

We will see something on policing. Either making police more personally responsible for their actions and/or some sort of increase of federal penalties for abusive behaviors.

We will see expanded obamacare. They will continue to try and get more states to participate in medicaid expansion and offer more money in this area. They may try to pass another bill to address the failings and court challenges of the past.

We should see some type of social security reform, mainly lifting the exclusion of ss taxes for those making over 100k plus.

There is going to be something done on the environment. Not only will Biden sign some international treaties but definitely increase regulation on polluters, possibly even some type of carbon credit and taxing system beyond what we have today.

In education, Biden will try to do whatever the unions want. Stopping school choice whenever possible and limiting charter schools as well. He has proposed a modest 10k of forgiveness in student loans too and that could possibly pass.

Foreign policy will be different as well. Lots of carrots and few sticks. Biden will try and buy the favor of countries that hate us just like Obama did. I will go out on a limb and suggest that China may take Taiwan and Biden will not defend it.

Where the rubber hits the road, is if the change in government will really affect individual lives in a meaningful way (positive or negative). Usually, the answer is no for me. Only a major war would make a huge difference, even the Iraq wars made no difference in my life, though it certainly impacted my thinking. I have yet to have a single President or Congress make a large impact on my life. The closest has been the covid response, Trump's under-reaction likely has forced me to be far more careful but I am in a very high covid state, and the Governor has a bigger affect. I suppose any future, lockdowns and potential inflation would impact me as well.

Unlike others, I do not see Biden as destroying America. There will be some positive things I like. If he is too far left, the House will change in two years, it may anyway, and the Senate is almost certainly going to be Republican in two years, even if the Georgia runoffs are both won by democrats.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  8. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,513
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think a few tricks of the trade have been learned along the way so expect all future executive orders that do not appeal to the conservatives to be taken to the courts. Also expect the court to be selected base on its perceived standing on the issue.

9. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,513
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Much has been learned from the liberals there is always some reason to go to the courts.

10. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    You've got no answer.

11. mark46

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If proposed legislation is too far left, it won't pass the Senate where 60 votes is needed to overcome the filibuster.

12. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+11,743
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I agree there will only be incremental legislative achievements - except, perhaps, with climate legislation. It's clear Biden is making that a priority - from his appointments in the cabinet - to his repeated comments on the subject.

13. Richard T

+811
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I assume they are going to toss that rule or at least suspend it on certain legislation.

14. mark46

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    your assumption is likely wrong. There isn't a majority to end the filibuster.

15. Richard T

+811
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Good point, I hope you are right that the GOP win at least one of the Georgia races.

16. hedrick

+9,276
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I hope they don’t. We have to get rid of McConnell, and that’s the only way.

I wouldn't normally mind a majority of the Senate being Republican. If the Democrats want to do something decent, some Republicans should go along. The problem however is that if they are in the majority, they'll elect McConnell as speaker. He won't allow a bill to be considered unless he approves of it. That's just protection against Democratic overreach. It's one person with more power than even the president with a veto.

The senate needs to change its rules so the parties aren't so important. A one-person change in party balance shouldn't cause a reversal in policies. An obvious change would be to allow the minority leader some ability to schedule bills.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  17. CyberPaladin

CyberPaladin Veteran

+176
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'd also put a minus to the $15 minimum wage would wreck many areas of the country's economy and look I get that living in NYC and LA it probably is needed but there is alot of country in between where it isn't. I'm guessing that probably alot of people in government realize this.
    I mean really I just looked at my local classifieds there is a 1 bedroom apartment for $ 423 and efficiency apartment for $ 314. So it really does depend where live and agree that the minimum in many parts and maybe everywhere needs over hauled but the cost of living varies to much for a one size fits all fix from Federal government is not a good plan.

18. hedrick

+9,276
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Perhaps. It makes sense for minimum wage to depend upon cost of living.

19. CyberPaladin

CyberPaladin Veteran

+176
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yeah I've always felt it should be handle more at the state level and even then if you have something like NYC or Seattle you might need to adjust it regionally. Also think sometimes people kind of have the wrong attitude about it since by design it's suppose to be a starting amount to prevent extreme exploitation not be an average wage people are shooting for as there long term income.