West Virginia
✟48,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have many friends of different religions who all have strong faith in what they believe to be true. It seems to me for so many people to have been lead astray in these different religions, such as Islam and Hinduism, that there must be something that reconfirms their faith. We look at miracles as blessings from God. I asked a Hindu friend of mine if he has received miracles, and he said yes, many. Does Satan have the power to heal and perform "miracles" which actually deceives and tricks people into believing in gods that do not exist?

VictimofChanges

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟7,748.00
Faith
Atheist
I have many friends of different religions who all have strong faith in what they believe to be true. It seems to me for so many people to have been lead astray in these different religions, such as Islam and Hinduism, that there must be something that reconfirms their faith. We look at miracles as blessings from God. I asked a Hindu friend of mine if he has received miracles, and he said yes, many. Does Satan have the power to heal and perform "miracles" which actually deceives and tricks people into believing in gods that do not exist?

Do you not think it comes across as hugely pretentious to put your friends' genuine faiths down to the work of your "devil", when you are basing your own beliefs on a stab in the dark of equal proportions?

Does it not occur to you for a second that your belief that your friends believe in "gods that do not exist" could be mirrored, with 100% as much legitimacy, in their perspective of your faith?

If you ask me it is this sort of attitude, even if it resembles benign speculating in this case, that has caused centuries of pointless bloodshed.

You cannot possibly know A) that your God exists, and B) that your friends' gods do not exist!

I am sorry to put this in blunt terms, but I felt the hypocrisy in your stance needed to be highlighted, as it is such assumption of superiority that is the work of the "devil", if anything is.

Upvote 0

noachian

Royalist to the Quaker King
Dec 27, 2007
United Kingdom of Great Britain
✟15,221.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Magicians in the time when Moses went to set the Hebrew's free from Egypt are said in the Old Testiment to have performed 'miricles', these were't exactly miricles so much as just illusions, but Satan is nothing more than a mere Angel, he is not the equel of God, he is much lower...a fallen angel like his minions. I am one of these people who believes Satan is more of a force than an ugly creature, he has alot of power, he has alot of influence over the minds of mankind, but God is almighty and has ultimate power over things. So these mircles your friends are seeing, could be the mircles of God, but they are giving credit to their gods, or the false mircles of demons or fallen angels. But I am one of these Christians who is NOT like "Your gods are fake and mines real" thats the type of attitude which causes conflict. Personally I think the only way to Christ is through his vessal; Jesus, but I do believe people can live their own ways with their own religious customs aswell, Jesus said "Anyone who believes on my name will be saved" Muslims believe Jesus was the second highest Prophet of Allah, some Hindues believe Jesus was Krishna in another form; a messanger of God, some Buddihsts believe Jesus apeared to Buddah under a tree and told him about have to live a passive tranquil life of love. God's mission through Jesus wasn't all about, I'M GOING TO DIE NOW AND YOU'LL ALL BE SAVED FROM IT! might aswell have been killed as a child if that were his only mission, no Jesus even warned his dicsiples not to tell people he was the Messiah because it would get him killed to early, why did he not want killed right away? Because Christ had a mission on teaching people how to live, and how to act, not simply just to get himself killed and resurected. When Jesus, a person whom was in a sense God because of his hyperstatic-union with God, and because he was concived of the Holy Spirit, had a mission on coming here and showing us the Kingdom of God, that was the whole ponit of the Messiah (unfortuneatly the Jews think this Kingdom of God is somekind of actual Monarchy in Israel waiting to happen) and after this he then was taken away to be killed, where because he was perfect was crucified with all of mans sin so that we may be forgiven....I don't think Jesus dying was necisarrily the most important part of his mission, I think it how Jesus lived is how Christians and how other Religions should focus on, if we do this, Christ/God will forgive us. So don't preach to your friends "JESUS DIED FOR YOU!" because people don't want to hear that, simply live a Christ-like life and as one of the Franciscan Monks said "the only way to bring a soul to you [God] is through example).

Upvote 0

heavensangelwv

• Who am I, O Lord God? •
Jul 1, 2007
West Virginia
✟48,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never and will never offend my friends on purpose. They know how I believe; I don't have to "preach it down their throats." There is a difference in believing that Jesus is real and believing that He died for your sins. If merely believing was enough then Satan himself would be saved. [bible]James 2:19[/bible] [bible]Romans 10:9[/bible] Confessing Christ as your Lord and believing in your heart that He was raised from the dead goes much deeper than just knowing or believing. I do agree with you that many lessons for how we should live comes from Christ's life, but His death is no where near insignificant in His overall purpose. Without His blood we could not live.

Upvote 0

heavensangelwv

• Who am I, O Lord God? •
Jul 1, 2007
West Virginia
✟48,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
VictimofChanges said:
Do you not think it comes across as hugely pretentious to put your friends' genuine faiths down to the work of your "devil", when you are basing your own beliefs on a stab in the dark of equal proportions?

Does it not occur to you for a second that your belief that your friends believe in "gods that do not exist" could be mirrored, with 100% as much legitimacy, in their perspective of your faith?

If you ask me it is this sort of attitude, even if it resembles benign speculating in this case, that has caused centuries of pointless bloodshed.

You cannot possibly know A) that your God exists, and B) that your friends' gods do not exist!

I am sorry to put this in blunt terms, but I felt the hypocrisy in your stance needed to be highlighted, as it is such assumption of superiority that is the work of the "devil", if anything is.
Yes, I do know that my God is real and their gods are not, and until you have that personal connection with Him you will never understand. I do believe that my belief is mirrored in my friends' faiths; that was my entire point. Satan can use our own minds, cultures, and traditions to deceive us. Yes, I agree that if I had been raised a Hindu or a Muslim it would seem so silly to believe in someone dying and then coming back three days later. But, that is where faith comes in. It will do me no good to quote scripture to you; I am sure that you have heard and read plenty.

Upvote 0

VictimofChanges

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟7,748.00
Faith
Atheist
[/size][/font]Yes, I do know that my God is real and their gods are not, and until you have that personal connection with Him you will never understand.

I reckon I could give it my best shot, if you had some reasons why you can be so sure...

When you say "know", don't you mean "believe"? There is a clear difference.

Upvote 0

noachian

Royalist to the Quaker King
Dec 27, 2007
United Kingdom of Great Britain
✟15,221.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
I have never and will never offend my friends on purpose. They know how I believe; I don't have to "preach it down their throats." There is a difference in believing that Jesus is real and believing that He died for your sins. If merely believing was enough then Satan himself would be saved. [bible]James 2:19[/bible] [bible]Romans 10:9[/bible] Confessing Christ as your Lord and believing in your heart that He was raised from the dead goes much deeper than just knowing or believing. I do agree with you that many lessons for how we should live comes from Christ's life, but His death is no where near insignificant in His overall purpose. Without His blood we could not live.

I understand that, I was simply saying Christians nowadays are so obsessed with CHRIST DIED FOR YOUR SINS, thats not what people want to hear, and more importantly thats not how we should be living, simply acknowlaging 'in our hearts' (which is an old fashioned term for your mind) that Christ died for our sins isn't enough, we need to live it, walk and live in the Spirit, not constantly obsess over Jesus dying. And I in no way said it was insignificant. In fact it was one of the most significant events in the History of the Universe, however simply believeing it happened means nothing, we need to live it.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

The only Power Satan has....is Power God has given him to suit Gods purpose for Satan....on his own Satan can doing nothing and is helpless before God....just like you and me.

Do not attempt to associate the other great religions of the world with Satan.

Islam, Buddism, Hinduism, Christianity all exist by the Will of God alone to suit a higher purpose of his...or non of them would exist at all....

Peace

Upvote 0

Idea

Veteran
Sep 19, 2007
Zion
✟9,050.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What power does Satan have?

Only as much power as we give him :) Satan is bound when we choose not to follow him.

Anything good comes from God. You can tell your Hindu friend that if there was a miracle, it was performed by our Heavenly Father. Someday they will learn where their blessings have really come from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mattlock73

Dec 31, 2007
✟8,376.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I absolutely believe so, but his power is limited as we see in the case of Job.

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian

He only has permission to deceive.

Upvote 0

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Satan = term used as the personification of sin, not an actual being.

By this there is no power of sin for those in Christ. The power of sin is contained within the carnal mind which is at enmity with God.

From Romans 8
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mattlock73

Dec 31, 2007
✟8,376.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

By this there is no power of sin for those in Christ. The power of sin is contained within the carnal mind which is at enmity with God.

From Romans 8
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
There are plenty of biblical references to satan being an actual being. How do you come to the conclusion that satan equals a personification of sin?

Upvote 0

VictimofChanges

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟7,748.00
Faith
Atheist
There are plenty of biblical references to satan being an actual being. How do you come to the conclusion that satan equals a personification of sin?

Yeah exactly - it's like saying God = term used as the personification of righteousness/hope/love/etc., not an actual being.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan has MUCH power . . . the whole unchristian world is under his control. And yes he can do real miracles . . . but they are not TRUTH miracles.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

From Romans 8
Last I checked a immaterial analogy for sin cannot take one and put them on top of a temple . . . nor appear as an angel of light.

Upvote 0

k2svpete

Jan 18, 2008
Australia
✟8,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last I checked a immaterial analogy for sin cannot take one and put them on top of a temple . . . nor appear as an angel of light.

Pertaining to these points, the temptation of Christ occurs after his period of prayer and fasting and the devil or accuser seeks to tempt him. Now one need only ask who were the group/people who continually sought to accuse Christ of wrongdoings. These same people were in the position to take Christ to the pinnacle of the temple (an actual place). A temptation needs to have a realm of credibility to it to actually be a temptation.

As an example, if you were a regular person down on their luck but without any particular skills and saw two identical cars in the street. One is locked and the other unlocked with the keys in it. Which is the greater temptation to steal? The one with the keys in it. Why? Because you know you can take that one whereas you can't the other. There is only one credible temptation with these two cars.

So, in the example of Christ's temptation and the offer of being given the kingdoms of the world Christ knew this scripture -
Dan 4:25
till you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses.

The power to give kingdoms rests with God alone, so this isn't a credible temptation if made by Satan in the popular construct.

Don't take scriptures in isolation, the reference to Lucifer is in the midst of a prophecy against the King of Babylon. Now this is in Isaiah and is to come. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever when you examine the timeline against the popular use of this scripture to support the existence of a Devil.

The word satan is hebrew in origin and means adversary. This can apply to anyone who opposes you, for example in a sporting game, the opposition is the adversary to that team. Young's literal translation does translate the word satan to adversary and the passages still make perfect sense. It was a shame that way back when the word was not translated but merely transcribed.

A really good example of how odd the popular construct of satan is, is evident in these passages.

1 Chron 21 -
1 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel.

2 Sam 24 -
1 Again the anger of the LORD was aroused against Israel, and He moved David against them to say, “Go, number Israel and Judah.”

and here is the 1 Chron verse from the Young's translation -
1And there standeth up an adversary against Israel, and persuadeth David to number Israel,

So the verse still makes perfect sense and when cross-referenced to the 2 Sam passage it is then clear that God was the adversary to Israel.

Most references in the New Testament have satan as an adversary to God's plan for salvation. I believe that this is what fuels most of the belief in Satan being a supernatural being.

In Matt 16, Peter is chastised by Christ -
23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Here, Christ clarifies it for us, pointing out that Peter is being mindful of the things of men, hence being an adversary.
This ties straight into Romans 8 -
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Since Christ came to conquer sin and death, anything that opposes the fulfillment of this plan is an adversary to Christ, most noteable in this is sin itself which is born out of the carnal mind. So this is where I draw out satan being the personification of sin. Perhaps not the best way around it but it is in keeping with the nature of middle eastern languages. See Prov 8 for an example of the personification of wisdom as a woman.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.