• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

What obligations do the media have to report acts of heroism?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Eudaimonist, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,592
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. 1000Flames

1000Flames Gloria Perpetua

+299
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    I'd wager quite a bit of quid that if the couple happened to be devout Christians, and male and female; then the news would report how THEY were the "Real Christians" as the antithesis to the terrorist who proclaimed to be Christian.

3. GrowingSmaller

GrowingSmaller Muslm Humanist

+339
    United Kingdom
    Humanist
    Private
    I thought that the media were obliged to make money.

My advise would be stay away from the media and read a good book instead, GIGO you know. Politicians and journalists get far too much attention IMO. Long live the www and the bookstore.

As for heroism we ought to be looking at ways to avoid it by really focusing on reducing social probles in a scientific manner rather than trusting in "brave" individuals to act at the last minute when things inevatably go down the pan again. In that sense the hero is a bad role model. Prevention is better than cure. Plus in cases like the above there are whats called "agent centred concerns" link meaning lets not forget our own welfare.... lets not put there Holywood/pop culture style self endangering acts of "heroics" on a pedestal. Holywood, another pet hate, for its glamouriosation of violence. And a certain amount of pop culture glamourises violence or 'delinquent' attitudes too.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,592
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Do you mean like the former Soviet Union, who thought that they could engineer their command economy in a "scientific manner" to the point where they would "bury us" in their amazing productive output?

And yet one could argue that heroic individuals deserve public recognition, even if one doesn't want to trust to their help in the long run.

Sure, it might be good to develop fire-proof houses, but until then we'll need heroic fire fighters.

A heroic fire fighter is a bad role model just because one might imagine fireproof houses?

Heroism =/= violence.

eudaimonia,

Mark

5. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    They definitely deserve credit and they are clearly heroes--not many people would move toward the sounds of gun fire to save others lives.

Though I think it's worth mentioning, if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't want to be hounded by the media or put up on a pedestal for all the world to judge. I would want to accept the gratitude of the people I saved and their families, and then go on with my life. Maybe they aren't being covered because they don't want to be?

6. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+2,929
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    That is a good point. If they where Americans and did this, they would at least be making the rounds of daytime TV talk shows to make money.

I can understand their desire not be on TV.

7. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,105
    Atheist
    Single
    It seems lots of detail is not making it over to the States.

Perhaps this is not being reported more because it raises a very nasty question. There were boats available yet the police could not find a suitable baod while teens died.

8. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    Y'know, I'm an American, and by your little symbol so are you. Aren't there enough negative stereotypes about how fat and lazy and greedy we are that we don't need to generalize ourselves also? :wave:

9. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+2,929
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    But it is so easy when it is so true....;)

10. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,105
    Atheist
    Single
    If they were Americans the odds would have been pretty good that this would have been their Bass fishing boat. The odds are good a fisherman is also a hunter.

Take my family. Growing up we had a ski boat. Nope no guns. My brother in lay and brother have boats. Brother in law hunts. 1 in 3. Not sure what brother in law would have done faced with this.

Oh wait. The boat we had growing up! It went to a second cousin. A match marksman. I know what he would have done. In a situatiomn like this he would have been fine killing someone, and he was good enough to hit his target.

Not saying anything bad about the ladies, it is in many ways easier to shoot back than to get close enough to die while unarmed.