Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The last movie I saw was Judy. I LOVED IT. I also thought Little Women was fantastic though long. Richard Jewell is v good, I do recommend. I really hadn't thought I'd like it. My dad wanted to see it bc he remembers the real life things that happened in the 90s so I saw it w him. We both liked it. The actor who played Richard was amazing.

I want to see 1917. I started the Irishman on Netflix but it's soooo long.

I want to see Bombshell too.

My bf really liked Ford v Ferrari. I'm not into that kinda movie. He liked The Joker too.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Shazam is fun, don't even have to have seen any other DC stuff, it's a good sort of introduction into the world, good message about family you choose rather than the family you're born into and much less serious in tone overall even if it does have those elements, it's also balanced with humor

Aladdin live action wasn't bad, arguably improved on certain points, though I'll need to watch them back to back for better comparison, since I grew up with the animated one (actually thought into certain stuff I feel only big fans still do and that was mostly based on curiosity on the Cave of Wonders). Will Smith as the Genie is...hard to compare fairly with Robin Williams' version (which supposedly was hilarious even in his initial auditions)

Toy Story 4, while personally feeling like it was somewhat unnecessary, did give an interesting expansion of lore and addressed Bo Peep's not being in 3 at all and, while it may have been a bit emotionally manipulative at times, it was genuine in making you empathize with the toys, not unlike how 3 did so with what felt like a good close to the overall arc with Woody, here just adding a new arc based on him not used to the change

Frozen 2 is...tough to assess entirely from the viewing, but I'd honestly say it did a good job trying to continue on with things, even if it made it more about Elsa than her and Anna as sisters, which is what made the original so compelling in changing up the Hans Christian Andersen story (which I've seen several adaptations in film of The Snow Queen and Frozen is pretty much at the top)

And Rise of Skywalker was...a mess, even if you hadn't seen the other 2, which I watched the 2nd the same day as I watched RoS and it didn't help, because the narrative of RoS was so rushed by comparison and felt like it wasn't really keeping with the overall vision that Last Jedi tried to convey and did pretty well. If you just watch it on its own with the message it has, it's still paced poorly, threats are brought up and resolved minutes later

Still need to see Joker and It Chapter 2, also live action Lion King and Dumbo (even if the latter is not good compared to the original and adds a lot of extra stuff). And Maleficent 2, wondering how it continues on their new angle with the story (since I seem to recall it's not technically a remake like many others, but a re-imagining)

So I watched 5 films (4 in theater, 1 pirated technically, but I do intend to buy it on DVD this year) and have 5 I want to watch that came out last year.

Can you tell I'm in a mindset of a movie critic?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The last movie I saw was Judy. I LOVED IT. I also thought Little Women was fantastic though long. Richard Jewell is v good, I do recommend. I really hadn't thought I'd like it. My dad wanted to see it bc he remembers the real life things that happened in the 90s so I saw it w him. We both liked it. The actor who played Richard was amazing.

I want to see 1917. I started the Irishman on Netflix but it's soooo long.

I want to see Bombshell too.

My bf really liked Ford v Ferrari. I'm not into that kinda movie. He liked The Joker too.
I didn't even know there was a new Little Women, though I only remember the 90s version I watched at my grandmother's (because I guess it kept us occupied, even if we didn't really understand the serious messages and stuff)

Joker is an interesting step they're taking with villain centered films going forward (I want to say the next one coming up is in that vein too, it'll have Harley Quinn, among other heroines)

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I didn't even know there was a new Little Women, though I only remember the 90s version I watched at my grandmother's (because I guess it kept us occupied, even if we didn't really understand the serious messages and stuff)

Joker is an interesting step they're taking with villain centered films going forward (I want to say the next one coming up is in that vein too, it'll have Harley Quinn, among other heroines)

I didn't know there was a 90s version of Little Women! I love that book. I'll have to watch the older movie!

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I might like Joker. Because i like outsiders. But i understand why people dont like such outsiders.
1917 looks good.

I've never seen the movie Outsiders. We read the book when reading books by teen authors. The lady who wrote it wrote it in HS.

• Informative
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I didn't know there was a 90s version of Little Women! I love that book. I'll have to watch the older movie!
There are several adaptations, even a modern version from 2018, apparently. The 1994 version had a limited release and then was released nationally in Xmas day in 1994, so might've fallen under the radar, I don't even know how my grandparents got a hold of it, but we watched it occasionally as kids before we moved out

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've never seen the movie Outsiders. We read the book when reading books by teen authors. The lady who wrote it wrote it in HS.
i wasnt referring to the movie The Outsiders

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There have been about four films of Little Women( as well as mini series) the first movie was in 1933.

I liked the 1949 one which had Elisabeth Taylor as Amy, and no I wasn't born then! I just liked it.:)

I saw a three part series on TV last year that was released in 2018. I actually think that was my all time favourite.
I didn't recognise any of the actors apart from the mother who was Emily Watson.
It is available on DVD and I think I will purchase it as it was so close to the book and acted so well.

Everyone has favourites of films of course, my sister saw the latest one and said it was different from the others. Perhaps if that was the only one you had seen it wouldn't bother you.
My one opposition to a lot of films that are remade and there seems to be more and more, is this. If the previous movie was a accurate portrayal, there isn't really a need to remake.
If other things are going to be added, why not write a completely new movie?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Everyone has favourites of films of course, my sister saw the latest one and said it was different from the others. Perhaps if that was the only one you had seen it wouldn't bother you.
My one opposition to a lot of films that are remade and there seems to be more and more, is this. If the previous movie was a accurate portrayal, there isn't really a need to remake.
If other things are going to be added, why not write a completely new movie?

Remakes are adaptations, they're not meant to throw out the original at all, but offer a new take on a classic. Not sure why people think it entails some disrespect rather than taking nostalgia and directing it creatively to something that can make you appreciate the classic even more.

Take something like Aladdin or the Lion King's live action adaptations (Lion King is weird in how it's realistic, but technically CG, while Aladdin is live action actors with CG incorporated), they're not suggesting the older versions aren't worth watching, but that you can see the story presented in a new way that makes you think more on the story's themes, etc.

Films aren't meant to be some representation of a static truth so much as a reflection of artistic truth, something that's necessarily going to vary in how people respond to it. This isn't like science, where we consider the evidence and make a provisional notion that this is how things work, but even science has to acknowledge new evidence, in a sort of parallel to art in presenting stories, the latter more about the expression than striving for precision, as in science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
@mulchimotsu
I have yet to watch live action adaptations of Disney. I don't expect much from it though. The one that I'm kind of interested in is Aladdin.
I'm admittedly behind, somewhat ashamed to admit, but I do have the DVD for the first one, Cinderella and I want to rewatch Maleficent (even if it's more a reimagining than a remake), as well as The Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon, plus Lion King and Dumbo from 2019, alone.

Reactions: Hiep
Upvote 0

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shazam is fun, don't even have to have seen any other DC stuff, it's a good sort of introduction into the world, good message about family you choose rather than the family you're born into and much less serious in tone overall even if it does have those elements, it's also balanced with humor

Aladdin live action wasn't bad, arguably improved on certain points, though I'll need to watch them back to back for better comparison, since I grew up with the animated one (actually thought into certain stuff I feel only big fans still do and that was mostly based on curiosity on the Cave of Wonders). Will Smith as the Genie is...hard to compare fairly with Robin Williams' version (which supposedly was hilarious even in his initial auditions)

Toy Story 4, while personally feeling like it was somewhat unnecessary, did give an interesting expansion of lore and addressed Bo Peep's not being in 3 at all and, while it may have been a bit emotionally manipulative at times, it was genuine in making you empathize with the toys, not unlike how 3 did so with what felt like a good close to the overall arc with Woody, here just adding a new arc based on him not used to the change

Frozen 2 is...tough to assess entirely from the viewing, but I'd honestly say it did a good job trying to continue on with things, even if it made it more about Elsa than her and Anna as sisters, which is what made the original so compelling in changing up the Hans Christian Andersen story (which I've seen several adaptations in film of The Snow Queen and Frozen is pretty much at the top)

And Rise of Skywalker was...a mess, even if you hadn't seen the other 2, which I watched the 2nd the same day as I watched RoS and it didn't help, because the narrative of RoS was so rushed by comparison and felt like it wasn't really keeping with the overall vision that Last Jedi tried to convey and did pretty well. If you just watch it on its own with the message it has, it's still paced poorly, threats are brought up and resolved minutes later

Still need to see Joker and It Chapter 2, also live action Lion King and Dumbo (even if the latter is not good compared to the original and adds a lot of extra stuff). And Maleficent 2, wondering how it continues on their new angle with the story (since I seem to recall it's not technically a remake like many others, but a re-imagining)

So I watched 5 films (4 in theater, 1 pirated technically, but I do intend to buy it on DVD this year) and have 5 I want to watch that came out last year.

Can you tell I'm in a mindset of a movie critic?

I have to disagree with you on Shazam, It was an awful movie, I sat down for it and it was a waste of time. It didn't even come close to other movies such as captain America: first avenger.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It wasn't trying to be Captain America or anything MCU, it's meant to be its own thing and, while not for everyone, it's certainly got heart in it. Not sure what was awful when the intent wasn't to be serious, it's Shazam, not Constantine (which had a film adaptation that's supposedly pretty bad), the dark aspects are there, but not emphasized excessively, since our lead is roughly tween/adolescent, so the humor has to be there too

The cast in terms of superheroes might be a bit bloated in hindsight (it is the Shazam Family), but not all of them were meant to get the focus we had for Billy and Freddy in particular, they'll build on it.

Upvote 0