Jacksonville
✟14,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every played a video game, maybe like Donkey Kong or Mario Brothers.... you go through the whole level and miss bonuses, lose lives and don't score as high as you could have?
Then you replay it and, remembering the places where you made a lot of mistakes, you make it a point to avoid the pitfalls and pick up those missing bonus points.

If you never played a video game, then imagine re-taking a test in school that you only got a C- on. You read over the questions you answered wrong, found the right answer, and retook it for an A-. Because you still make mistakes, just less of them now.

Well, the botched first attempt at that game or that test was my 20's.
The re-do is my 30's.

I won't miss so many opportunities this time.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Every played a video game, maybe like Donkey Kong or Mario Brothers.... you go through the whole level and miss bonuses, lose lives and don't score as high as you could have?
Then you replay it and, remembering the places where you made a lot of mistakes, you make it a point to avoid the pitfalls and pick up those missing bonus points.

If you never played a video game, then imagine re-taking a test in school that you only got a C- on. You read over the questions you answered wrong, found the right answer, and retook it for an A-. Because you still make mistakes, just less of them now.

Well, the botched first attempt at that game or that test was my 20's.
The re-do is my 30's.

I won't miss so many opportunities this time.

Art imitates life, which is why that video game structure exists - it mimics life.

The fantastical part that makes it a game is that you get extra lives, and you can go back and review the levels. If you play exp games, you know that the second time around gains you a fraction of the exp you gained even by "failing" the level.

However, I think the VG metaphor is pretty spot on. There are a lot of built-in philosophies one can learn from playing (like the "It isn't a race, it's an endurance game).

Upvote 0

But_First_Coffee

May 21, 2019
Jacksonville
✟14,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have made a lot of mistakes. Just keeping pressing on. Trying a third time to get into my career and tired of working jobs that I don't like.

Like what kinds of jobs?
I was stuck in retail for six months when I was 30 because I lost one bank job and it took awhile to get a new one.

Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My 30's thus far have been pretty settled. My 20's were full of exploration and change. My 30's haven't been terrible yet, but the challenge lately has been trying to avoid complacency in my walk with Jesus. What worked when I was 21 and in college or 25 and working (also dating) at a Christian retreat center out of state wouldn't necessarily work now as a married with 1 younger son. That's where I need Jesus to show me how to remain on fire for him in the day-to-day stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0