What must I do to be saved?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not by repentance of dead works. Read hebrews chapter 6:1. But by being conform in his image. Disobeying grace is what that people were doing crucifying him back with holocaust.
Romans 4:14

King James Version

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

Again, Hebrews 5:9 says:

“And being made perfect,
he became the author of eternal salvation
unto
all them that obey him;”
(Hebrews 5:9).​

Hebrews 5:9 is not referring to initial salvation but continued salvation.

For in the book of Hebrews: The author of Hebrews is writing to certain Jewish Christians (i.e. Messianic Jews) who were about to be faced with persecution. These Jewish Christians wanted to go back to the Jewish religion (Which involved animal sacrifices, etc.) for a while in order to escape persecution. But by doing so they would be denying Christ and they would be putting themselves under the Old Law again. So in Hebrews 6:1: When the author of Hebrews says to these Messianic Jews to “leave the principles of the doctrine of Christ and go unto perfection and not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God” the author is referring to keeping the faith in Jesus Christ instead of trying to deny Christ for a time so as to avoid persecution.

“Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,” (Hebrews 6:1).​

So Hebrews 5:9 is an encouragement for these Jewish Christians to continue in Jesus Christ. It literally means that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all those who obey Him. They are to leave the basic principles of the doctrines of Christ and move on to perfection in their faith. They are not to go back to the Jewish Law and pretend they don't know Christ and then later try to come back to Jesus and lay again the foundation of repentance and of faith towards God. Hebrews 5:9 means what it says. Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all those who obey Him. So these Jewish Christians needed to continue to obey the Lord instead of committing apostasy (i.e. by denying their Lord for a time). Hebrews 5:9 is dealing with how we need to obey (continue in the faith) as a part of Jesus being the author of eternal salvation. So Hebrews 6:1 does not undo what Hebrews 5:9 says. Hebrews 5:9 is not referring to the foundational things in Hebrews 6:1. Hebrews 5:9 is referring to moving on to perfection in Christ after one has already laid the foundation of repentance and faith towards God.

As for your quote of Romans 4:14:

It says:
“For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:” (Romans 4:14).​

Romans 4:14 is basically saying that they who are of the Law (the Jewish people who rejected their Messiah) be heirs (meaning they will be saved into God's kingdom), then faith in Christ is made void and the promise of the Messiah (Jesus Christ) would be made of no effect. The Old Law (the 613 Laws of Moses) is no more a binding contract. These laws were given to Israel. Christians are not to follow the whole of the 613 laws of Moses. Jesus began a New Covenant with His death, and as a result there would be new commands. For Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It does not mean Christians can turn God's grace into a license for immorality (See: Jude 1:4). For God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12). I just do not see Belief Alone-ism teaching that because it says you can sin and still be saved. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 says that the gospel call is that.... God has chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. This means we are to continue in the sanctification process in the Spirit and truly live holy lives and to believe the truth of God's Word (the Bible).

“Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:” (1 Peter 1:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Again, Hebrews 5:9 says:

“And being made perfect,
he became the author of eternal salvation
unto
all them that obey him;”
(Hebrews 5:9).​

Hebrews 5:9 is not referring to initial salvation but continued salvation.

For in the book of Hebrews: The author of Hebrews is writing to certain Jewish Christians (i.e. Messianic Jews) who were about to be faced with persecution. These Jewish Christians wanted to go back to the Jewish religion (Which involved animal sacrifices, etc.) for a while in order to escape persecution. But by doing so they would be denying Christ and they would be putting themselves under the Old Law again. So in Hebrews 6:1: When the author of Hebrews says to these Messianic Jews to “leave the principles of the doctrine of Christ and go unto perfection and not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God” the author is referring to keeping the faith in Jesus Christ instead of trying to deny Christ for a time so as to avoid persecution.

“Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,” (Hebrews 6:1).​

So Hebrews 5:9 is an encouragement for these Jewish Christians to continue in Jesus Christ. It literally means that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all those who obey Him. They are to leave the basic principles of the doctrines of Christ and move on to perfection in their faith. They are not to go back to the Jewish Law and pretend they don't know Christ and then later try to come back to Jesus and lay again the foundation of repentance and of faith towards God. Hebrews 5:9 means what it says. Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all those who obey Him. So these Jewish Christians needed to continue to obey the Lord instead of committing apostasy (i.e. by denying their Lord for a time). Hebrews 5:9 is dealing with how we need to obey (continue in the faith) as a part of Jesus being the author of eternal salvation. So Hebrews 6:1 does not undo what Hebrews 5:9 says. Hebrews 5:9 is not referring to the foundational things in Hebrews 6:1. Hebrews 5:9 is referring to moving on to perfection in Christ after one has already laid the foundation of repentance and faith towards God.

As for your quote of Romans 4:14:

It says:
“For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:” (Romans 4:14).​

Romans 4:14 is basically saying that they who are of the Law (the Jewish people who rejected their Messiah) be heirs (meaning they will be saved into God's kingdom), then faith in Christ is made void and the promise of the Messiah (Jesus Christ) would be made of no effect. The Old Law (the 613 Laws of Moses) is no more a binding contract. These laws were given to Israel. Christians are not to follow the whole of the 613 laws of Moses. Jesus began a New Covenant with His death, and as a result there would be new commands. For Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It does not mean Christians can turn God's grace into a license for immorality (See: Jude 1:4). For God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12). I just do not see Belief Alone-ism teaching that because it says you can sin and still be saved. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 says that the gospel call is that.... God has chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. This means we are to continue in the sanctification process in the Spirit and truly live holy lives and to believe the truth of God's Word (the Bible).

“Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:” (1 Peter 1:22).

All law is law, grace is grace. If you want to be justified by the law is your choice. Nevetheless you are disobeying Christ and going back to the curse he took from you. We are called to trust in his grace and abide in it. By the works you you preach you have make grace of no avail and have fallen into the wrath of God. The law of the old testament is love your God with all of your heart and your neighbor. Everyone transgresses this law, and if you want to go back to it you are curse by it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All law is law, grace is grace. If you want to be justified by the law is your choice. Nevetheless you are disobeying Christ and going back to the curse he took from you.

This is why so many Christians today do not understand the Scriptures. They do not rightly divide by looking at the context to see what Law Paul referred to when he spoke of the Law generically in a negative light.

Acts of the Apostles 13:39 says, “And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.”

In fact, at the Jerusalem council, we learn that certain Jews were trying to deceive certain Gentile Christians that they had to be circumcied in order to be saved and to keep the Law of Moses (See: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24). Paul also said, if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2). Circumcision is a part of the Laws given to Abraham and to Moses. This was not a command given to us by Jesus and His followers. So when Paul says we cannot be justified by the Law in Galatians 5:4, he is referring to the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or contract. Paul was referring to how we cannot be saved by Law Alone Salvationism without God's grace. For the Jews made salvation all about a system of law to be saved (of which they did not obey). The Jews way of salvation had very little to no grace. So this is why Paul spoke in the way that he did. Paul teaches that you need to do good works as a part of salvation after you are saved by God's grace. Galatians 6:8-9 makes it clear that sowing to the flesh (sin) reaps corruption, and sowing to the Spirit reaps life everlasting (salvation). Verse 9 says that we are not to faint in well doing so that we may reap. So sowing to the Spirit is well doing (good works).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All law is law, grace is grace. If you want to be justified by the law is your choice. Nevetheless you are disobeying Christ and going back to the curse he took from you. We are called to trust in his grace and abide in it. By the works you you preach you have make grace of no avail and have fallen into the wrath of God. The law of the old testament is love your God with all of your heart and your neighbor. Everyone transgresses this law, and if you want to go back to it you are curse by it.

So you are not under the Law or command in 1 John 3:23 that tells us to believe in Jesus?
You are not under the “Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus” as mentioned in Romans 8:1-2?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You also should try and tell Jesus that He was wrong in Luke 10:25-28. For Jesus agreed with the lawyer that to love God and to love your neighbor is a part of inheriting eternal life.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
This is why so many Christians today do not understand the Scriptures. They do not rightly divide by looking at the context to see what Law Paul referred to when he spoke of the Law generically in a negative light.

Acts of the Apostles 13:39 says, “And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.”

In fact, at the Jerusalem council, we learn that certain Jews were trying to deceive certain Gentile Christians that they had to be circumcied in order to be saved and to keep the Law of Moses (See: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24). Paul also said, if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2). Circumcision is a part of the Laws given to Abraham and to Moses. This was not a command given to us by Jesus and His followers. So when Paul says we cannot be justified by the Law in Galatians 5:4, he is referring to the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or contract. Paul was referring to how we cannot be saved by Law Alone Salvationism without God's grace. For the Jews made salvation all about a system of law to be saved (of which they did not obey). The Jews way of salvation had very little to no grace. So this is why Paul spoke in the way that he did. Paul teaches that you need to do good works as a part of salvation after you are saved by God's grace. Galatians 6:8-9 makes it clear that sowing to the flesh (sin) reaps corruption, and sowing to the Spirit reaps life everlasting (salvation). Verse 9 says that we are not to faint in well doing so that we may reap. So sowing to the Spirit is well doing (good works).
Yet you want to reap your salvation from the flesh.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
So you are not under the Law or command in 1 John 3:23 that tells us to believe in Jesus?
You are not under the “Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus” as mentioned in Romans 8:1-2?
No, that is the law of moses which Christ gave to him in mount Sinai. The first 5 commandments are about loving God, the other 5 are about loving our neighbors. Nevertheless no one has been justified by their works or their hearts, only wicked take pleasure in their filthy rags calling themselves righteous instead of understanding the infinite amount of love and grace God gives to his enemies, that is the wisdom of God you denied. Not one. But by the law faith in which we are accounted righteous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet you want to reap your salvation from the flesh.

I believe God does the good work through me (Philippians 2:13) (John 15:5), and I don't believe the good works I do are of my own power. So all praise and glory goes to Jesus Christ (who is God), and who is Lord of all. Jesus does not get the glory if we justify sin (See: Jude 1:4). For that is what Belief Alone-ism eventually leads to - IMO.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe God does the good work through me (Philippians 2:13) (John 15:5), and I don't believe the good works I do are of my own power. So all praise and glory goes to Jesus Christ (who is God), and who is Lord of all. Jesus does not get the glory if we justify sin (See: Jude 1:4). For that is what Belief Alone-ism eventually leads to - IMO.
You mock the gospel of grace and everyone save in it. You preach a false gospel, form which in the last day you will hear, depart from I never knew you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Is your only motive to serve the lord, avoiding what you rightfully deserve, which is hell. Are you so afraid of sinning you need to scare yourself?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, that is the law of moses which Christ gave to him.

No. Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer to obey the whole of the Old Law (the 613) to inherit everlasting life. He agreed with the lawyer involving to love God, and to love your neighbor. To love God and to love your neighbor still applies under the New Covenant. Paul says we fulfill the Law by loving our neighbor (Romans 13:8-10). Paul says if any man loves not the Lord Jesus, let him be accursed (1 Corinthians 16:22). John says that if a person does not love their brother, they are not of God (1 John 3:10).

Paul says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and he gives grace to the humble.

You said:
The first 5 commandments are about loving God,

Please refer to what Scripture verse or passage refers to the 5?

You said:
the 5 are about loving of neighbors. Nevertheless no one has been justified by the one. Not one. But by the law faith in which we are accounted righteous.

The faith in the New Testament (even after the cross) includes loving God, and loving your neighbor. So it is false to assume these laws are not a part of the faith in the New Testament. Paul says be not deceived, the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and then he lists various sins that would be a violation of loving your neighbor (See: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, and then compare with Romans 13:8-10).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You mock the gospel of grace and everyone save in it. You preach a false gospel, form which in the last day you will hear, depart from I never knew you.

That's not a Scripture verse or passage that really proves that your right or correct, though. I believe the gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. But the gospel call according to 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 is... God has chosen us to salvation through the sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. So the gospel calls us unto holiness. So while the gospel is not holy living, it does call us to live a holy life which does play a part in God's plan of salvation. For Titus 2:14 says that the reason Christ gave Himself for us was to redeems us from all iniquity and to be zealous of good works.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is your only motive to serve the lord, avoiding what you rightfully deserve, which is hell. Are you so afraid of sinning you need to scare yourself?

This statement does not make any sense. Please use the Scriptuers to refer to what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
No. Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer to obey the whole of the Old Law (the 613) to inherit everlasting life. He agreed with the lawyer involving to love God, and to love your neighbor. To love God and to love your neighbor still applies under the New Covenant. Paul says we fulfill the Law by loving our neighbor (Romans 13:8-10). Paul says if any man loves not the Lord Jesus, let him be accursed (1 Corinthians 16:22). John says that if a person does not love their brother, they are not of God (1 John 3:10).

Paul says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and he gives grace to the humble.

Please refer to what Scripture verse or passage refers to the 5?

The faith in the New Testament (even after the cross) includes loving God, and loving your neighbor. So it is false to assume these laws are not a part of the faith in the New Testament. Paul says be not deceived, the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and then he lists various sins that would be a violation of loving your neighbor (See: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, and then compare with Romans 13:8-10).
No. Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer to obey the whole of the Old Law

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Those are works, in which if someone is righteous he can be justified by them. You can go to heaven, without believing in the son. If you obey the law. Nevertheless grace is given to those who believe in the son. He became that curse for us, to pay for our sins. There is no more sin. For anyone who believes.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
That's not a Scripture verse or passage that really proves that your right or correct, though. I believe the gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. But the gospel call according to 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 is... God has chosen us to salvation through the sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. So the gospel calls us unto holiness. So while the gospel is not holy living, it does call us to live a holy life which does play a part in God's plan of salvation. For Titus 2:14 says that the reason Christ gave Himself for us was to redeems us from all iniquity and to be zealous of good works.
We will be given rewards for those works, nevertheless grace can not be given as reward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
This statement does not make any sense. Please use the Scriptuers to refer to what you are talking about.
When someone disobeys they receive chastisment, this is sanctification. It doesnt mean we are righteous. It means we are now scolded. This takes out all of our boasting.

Hebrews 12:7-9

King James Version

7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer to obey the whole of the Old Law

You are not reading what I am actually saying, and you are misunderstanding me. I don't believe we are to keep the Old Law or the 613 Laws of Moses. I don't believe Jesus was teaching to keep the whole of the Old Law to be saved. Nobody today can keep the Old Law as a whole to be saved. Those who seek to be justified by the Law (i.e. the Old law) have fallen from grace. I was trying to tell you that Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer in keeping the whole of the Old Law but... Jesus agreed with the lawyer on loving God and loving your neighbor.

Jesus was making changes in the Law of Moses even before the cross. This means Jesus was primarily teaching New Covenant, and not Old Covenant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
You are not reading what I am actually saying, and you are misunderstanding me. I don't believe we are to keep the Old Law or the 613 Laws of Moses. I don't believe Jesus was teaching to keep the whole of the Old Law to be saved. Nobody today can keep the Old Law as a whole to be saved. Those who seek to be justified by the Law (i.e. the Old law) have fallen from grace. I was trying to tell you that Jesus did not agree with the Lawyer in keeping the whole of the Old Law but... Jesus agree with the lawyer on loving God and loving your neighbor.

Jesus was making changes in the Law of Moses even before the cross. This means Jesus was primarily teaching New Covenant, and not Old Covenant.

James 2

8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible Highlighter said:
No, that is the law of moses which Christ gave to him in mount Sinai. The first 5 commandments are about loving God, the other 5 are about loving our neighbors. Nevertheless no one has been justified by their works or their hearts, only wicked take pleasure in their filthy rags calling themselves righteous instead of understanding the infinite amount of love and grace God gives to his enemies, that is the wisdom of God you denied. Not one. But by the law faith in which we are accounted righteous.

1 John 3:23 says, “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”

You are saying that 1 John 3:23 is the Law of Moses which Christ gave to Moses on Mount Sinai?
If so, then either...

(a) You really are not reading 1 John 3:23 correctly.
(b) You ignoring what it says.
(c) You have sought after some odd fringe interpretation on 1 John 3:23 that does not do justice to what it plainly says.​

No command was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai to believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ and to love one another (i.e. to love the disciples) as he (Jesus) gave the followers of Christ as a commandment. Jesus and His disciples would have had to travel back in time and secretly give Moses this kind of command if such were the case.

Jesus gave us a command to believe in Him and to love one another (i.e. your fellow believers) as He (Jesus) gave us (His followers) commandment. This is a commandment that is unique to Jesus Christ and the New Covenant and it does not come from the Law of Moses. If you believe otherwise, I simply cannot help you to see what the Bible plainly says and you are only seeing what you want to see in the Bible.

The same can be said for Romans 8:1-2. Romans 8:2 mentions two laws. One is a New Covenant Law, and the other is the Old Covenant Law. By keeping the New Covenant Law it sets us free from the Old Covenant Law. The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus is a New Covenant Law and keeping it sets us free from the Law of sin and death (i.e. the 613 laws of Moses). The Law of Moses is called the Law of sin and death because if one did not keep certain laws in the Law of Moses, one could be stoned or killed. This is not the case for the commands that come from Jesus and His followers. God's people do not set out to stone people if they break the commands of Jesus.

Upvote 0