What must I do to be saved?

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟250,347.00
Faith
Christian
That doesn’t make any sense at all. If the evidence isn’t present then the person won’t receive salvation, hence it IS required to receive salvation.

“If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:2‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:1-14‬ ‭NASB‬‬

The bible is absolutely clear that the only requirement for salvation is faith alone, not faith plus works. Apart from Eph 2:8 I can give you dozens of other verses that show that if you wish.

Once we are saved we are indwelt by the Spirit and He then produces fruit in us - love, patience, kindness, etc (Gal 5:22), the evidence of salvation. The passage you quoted from John 15 demonstrates this. Once we are saved we are connected to the Vine and the fruit FOLLOWS. We bear fruit because we are in the Vine, not in the Vine because we bear fruit.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟236,715.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Give us an example from the new testament explaining what i must do to be saved.
"Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Acts 2:38

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bible is absolutely clear that the only requirement for salvation is faith alone, not faith plus works. Apart from Eph 2:8 I can give you dozens of other verses that show that if you wish.

Once we are saved we are indwelt by the Spirit and He then produces fruit in us - love, patience, kindness, etc (Gal 5:22), the evidence of salvation. The passage you quoted from John 15 demonstrates this. Once we are saved we are connected to the Vine and the fruit FOLLOWS. We bear fruit because we are in the Vine, not in the Vine because we bear fruit.

Then why did Jesus say this? The word “abide” means to stay, remain, continue.

“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:4-7‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you know that question you'll know the answers to it.

Give us an example from the new testament explaining what i must do to be saved.
Matthew 19 World English Bible — Public Domain
16 Behold, one came to him and said, “Good teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?”
17 He said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder.’ ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ ‘You shall not steal.’ ‘You shall not offer false testimony.’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ And, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
20 The young man said to him, “All these things I have observed from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
22 But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he was one who had great possessions.
23 Jesus said to his disciples, “Most certainly I say to you, a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty.
24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter into God’s Kingdom.”
25 When the disciples heard it, they were exceedingly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 Looking at them, Jesus said, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Jesus gave this advice to one man, not to every man in his audience. A poor man may not be called to give all, he might be commanded to gain more. Jesus instructed Peter to cast his net on the right side of the boat, then pulled in a net full of large fish. John 21:11

It is good for a person to help the poor in God’s name.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟250,347.00
Faith
Christian

“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”

If you believe in Christ you are abiding in Him.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
Why did he need to be baptized?
It's not that people need to get baptized to be saved. Rather people who are saved are to be baptized. Remember the angel said to Cornelius, "Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved." Acts 11:13,14

People are saved be believing the word of the gospel, not by participation in religious ceremonies. Notice also that Cornelius received the Holy Spirit of which Peter interprets as the baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 11:15,16) prior to getting water baptized.

So while those who have been saved by faith apart from works, the saved do things, like participation in communion and baptism and many other things.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Agreed. It is easy to see verses about faith in and of themselves, and run with it, or make something of it which was not meant.

The entire tenor of Scripture is clear that works matter, do play a role, are are not simply the natural result of faith.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. It is easy to see verses about faith in and of themselves, and run with it, or make something of it which was not meant.

The entire tenor of Scripture is clear that works matter, do play a role, are are not simply the natural result of faith.

I don’t believe it’s the works themselves that play a role but the motivation behind the works, the love that leads to works. Both love for God and love for others.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t believe it’s the works themselves that play a role but the motivation behind the works, the love that leads to works. Both love for God and love for others.
Agreed. If genuine love is not the fuel, we're deluding ourselves.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8

• Friendly
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟250,347.00
Faith
Christian
Where is the word believe in the entire chapter? Didn’t His audience already believe?

It is all over the parable.... "Abide IN Me".

To be IN Christ is to be saved.

Rom 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come."

And if you are IN Christ then you will produce fruit.....v5 "he who abides in Me... bears much fruit"

So fruit is a product of salvation, not a requirement of it.

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟160,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello sorry to jump in here...but I think your focus is on just abide in Him but He has to abide in you as well...you can abide in Him BUT if He is Not Abide in you then WE can do Nothing...

He
determine whether or Not you can bear His fruit in us (branches)...

So this is about real Faith or believe...Faith that express by our deeds (fruit) or Faith express through Love, which is the fruit of His Spirit in US. ..

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Please tell, what do you think saved means? Saved from what?

I think this is also good to notice in this case:

… "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life… …You know the commandments: 'Do not murder,' 'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not steal,' 'Do not give false testimony,' 'Do not defraud,' 'Honor your father and mother.'"
Mark 10:17-19

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Your making it sound as though the ABIDING is arbitrary on the part of the Believer, as though they can chose not to abide, is that a correct assumption?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We do not say that we are "saved". We say that we are "being saved".

Ok then, what Jesus said on the matter was wrong

I have read all of the responses concerning what others in the Bible have to say on the subject of Salvation and how it is achieved, but for me, I would rather rely upon what the author of our Salvation (JESUS) had to say on that very subject in His very own words.

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So we see from Jesus own mouth the process which makes a Non-Believer a Saved, Born Again Child of the Living God

Notice also, Jesus never once mentioned an ongoing process by which a Believer eventually becomes Saved, He died for us that all might be Saved.

The word Saved is always used as a past tense, because it's a forgone conclusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok then, what Jesus said on the matter was wrong

I have read all of the responses concerning what others in the Bible have to say on the subject of Salvation and how it is achieved, but for me, I would rather rely upon what the author of our Salvation (JESUS) had to say on that very subject in His very own words.

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So we see from Jesus own mouth the process which makes a Non-Believer a Saved, Born Again Child of the Living God

Notice also, Jesus never once mentioned an ongoing process by which a Believer eventually becomes Saved, He died for us that all might be Saved.

The word Saved is always used as a past tense, because it's a forgone conclusion.

He then goes on to say that he who endures to the end shall be saved, see Matthew 10:22, 24:13, and again at Mark 13:13.

It is not the end so we do not know if we have endured to the end.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

There are some things a person must do to receive the gift of Salvation in Yahshua the Christ and the remission for sin.
We must believe that God became flesh, John 1:1,14. We must believe that Yahshua the Christ lived a Sinless Life, 2 Corinthians 5:21. We must believe that Yahshua the Christ died on the cross for us and the sins of the world. Then raised himself from the grave on the third day, John 10:17-18. We must repent of all past sins, and ask the Lord God forgiveness for our past sins in the name of Yahshua the Christ Luke 24:47, 1 Timothy 2:5. We also must forgive all whom have sinned against us or we will not be forgiven, Matthew 6:14-15. We must all do exactly as Acts 2:38 says to do to receive forgiveness and remission for sins, Luke 24:47. This must be done in the name of Yahshua the Christ only as it was in every account of water Baptism by immersion in water for the remission of sin in the New testament. (One Name, Acts 4:10-12,Matt 28:18-20,Acts 10:48) (full submersion, Romans 6:3-11,John 3:2-7,Galatians 2:19-20,2 Colossians 2:10-15,19-23)
By doing these things we will receive forgiveness and remission for sins. NO other way is written in the word of God under grace, Galatians 1:6-9, Acts 4:12, 1 Peter 3:21.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is all over the parable.... "Abide IN Me".

To be IN Christ is to be saved.

Rom 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come."

And if you are IN Christ then you will produce fruit.....v5 "he who abides in Me... bears much fruit"

So fruit is a product of salvation, not a requirement of it.

And John 15:2? The Father cuts off every branch IN CHRIST that beareth not fruit.

Apostasy is all throughout the Bible.

“At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:10-13‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised. FOR YET IN A VERY LITTLE WHILE, HE WHO IS COMING WILL COME, AND WILL NOT DELAY. BUT MY RIGHTEOUS ONE SHALL LIVE BY FAITH; AND IF HE SHRINKS BACK, MY SOUL HAS NO PLEASURE IN HIM. But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:35-39‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭8:13‬ ‭NASB

“For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved. For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. It has happened to them according to the true proverb, "A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT," and, "A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire."”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:18-22‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Reformed theology is a false gospel.

Upvote 0