Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy the singing of Katherine Jenkins,the Welsh beauty,who has so much variety from opera to pop. So many songs about faith,hope and love too!
It depends on my mood. My music collection includes Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, Country, Raggae, 40s Standards, 50-60s oldies and Easy Listening.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy the singing of Katherine Jenkins,the Welsh beauty,who has so much variety from opera to pop. So many songs about faith,hope and love too!
If you like, I'd like to listen to a youtube example of a song or two of hers you like.

Here's a couple of the very many I like a lot in the last year:

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you like, I'd like to listen to a youtube example of a song or two of hers you like.

Here's a couple of the very many I like a lot in the last year:

I enjoyed both of these beautiful renderings. Thankyou for sharing them. I cannot transfer YouTube on to this forum. Katherine Jenkins singing,'How Great Thou art',would be my first choice

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on my mood. My music collection includes Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, Country, Raggae, 40s Standards, 50-60s oldies and Easy Listening.
I also like various types of music ... Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, Chant, etc.

I got into a lot of Classical music in my early adulthood, so, a lot of Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Vivaldi, etc.

I sang with an Orchestral Choir for 12 years, and so, became a fan of the various Requiems (Brahms, Mozart, Verdi, Chopin, etc.), as well as some Opera. My exposure to Opera has been lesser, but I enjoy the singing of Kathleen Battle, Pavoratti, and the operas "La Boheme", and "La Traviata".

However, I am also a fan of the "light rock" bands Chicago, and the Eagles, plus a wide variety of other popular music. I also like the music of Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Madonna, and others.

I also like various chant-type choral music, especially like the work "Brother Sun - Sister Moon" by the Cambridge Singers.

I also like the Hillsong piece "What a Beautiful Name" and was an avid fan of Amy Grant in her day ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I also like various types of music ... Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, Chant, etc.

I got into a lot of Classical music in my early adulthood, so, a lot of Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Vivaldi, etc.

I sand with an Orchestral Choir for 12 years, and so, became a fan of the various Requiems (Brahms, Mozart, Verdi, etc.), as well as some Opera. My exposure to Opera has been lesser, but I enjoy the singing of Kathleen Battle, Pavoratti, and the operas "La Boheme", and "La Traviata".

However, I am also a fan of the "light rock" bands Chicago, and the Eagles, plus a wide variety of other popular music. I liked Whitney Houston, Madonna, and others.

I also like various chant=type choral music, especially like the work "Brother Sun - Sister Moon" by the Cambridge Singers.

I'm not a musician so that part of the musical world I'm completely ignorant of. M'Lady, who is a singer, has analyzed me and decided that I like the rhythm of music rather than singing. She is most likely right.

Most of the time, I set my music player to just play random songs from all the genres in my collection. Other times I crave just one style. Once or twice a year I seem to really need to hear "Hallelujah" over and over again. I go to YouTube and start with the Pentatonix version and end with Leonard Cohen but find random versions in between.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a musician so that part of the musical world I'm completely ignorant of. M'Lady, who is a singer, has analyzed me and decided that I like the rhythm of music rather than singing. She is most likely right.

Most of the time, I set my music player to just play random songs from all the genres in my collection. Other times I crave just one style. Once or twice a year I seem to really need to hear "Hallelujah" over and over again. I go to YouTube and start with the Pentatonix version and end with Leonard Cohen but find random versions in between.
It can be like that ... I spent one sick day listening to different covers of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" ...

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like all kinds of music. For Christian music I like the old hymns, the choruses and songs from the 70's and 80's and some contemporary music. It is interesting to note that many hymns, particularly those written by Charles Wesley were subject to extreme scrutiny to test for scriptural accuracy in the words. We don't find that today. I can tell you easily Christian music I don't like, repetitious and lacking in real meaning. For me songs that build faith, relate the gospel and the Christian walk and those that lift up Jesus or the Father and not just play to our emotions are more for me. I will take the Old Rugged Cross over Fill Me Up any day or All Hail the Power of Jesus Name over One Thing Remains or any song that focuses on I see your face, I see your face. Not all but a lot of modern Contemporary Christian Music lacks real meaning, is simply to engage your emotion or in some cases factually innaccurate and in a few cases blasphemy.

That is not to say I don't like some modern CCM but overall I will take a hymn. Want to see your church light up on Sunday, sing All Hail the Power of Jesus Name or How Great Thou Art or one of my favorites Blessed Assurance or It is Well with my Soul. I could go on and include Victory in Jesus, Come thou Fount and not the modern version, or On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand, again not the mixed up version. So yes, I am not crazy about contemporary christian music but I do like some of it a lot. Most of it not so much. Too much repetition, too little truth and too much emotion. Give me some older Bill Gaither, Lanny Wolfe and newer songs about the gospel and Gods mercy and I am good.

A quote I recently read, don't know the origin - “Praise songs are to hymns what greeting cards are to literature”

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I love all types of music, especially classical/choral music, film music, music from the 70s onwards although I'm not keen on some of the modern chart music. Maybe I'm getting too old!

As far as Christian music goes, I'm not particularly a fan of some of the more modern upbeat worship songs (such as Hillsongs music). I love the old hymns, especially those in the Anglican and other hymnals, and I tend to prefer modern songs which follow a classic hymnody - such as Keith & Krystyn Getty, Stuart Townsend, etc. I love celtic music styles as I find them very peaceful and inspirational.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I have such a HUGE variety. But I will say it tends towards the older music from the 70s and 80s. Including the Christian music. I listen to soft jazz, Celtic, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Group One Crew, and a few other more modern Christian artists. It's just kind of all over the place.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I like all kinds of music. For Christian music I like the old hymns, the choruses and songs from the 70's and 80's and some contemporary music. It is interesting to note that many hymns, particularly those written by Charles Wesley were subject to extreme scrutiny to test for scriptural accuracy in the words. We don't find that today. I can tell you easily Christian music I don't like, repetitious and lacking in real meaning. For me songs that build faith, relate the gospel and the Christian walk and those that lift up Jesus or the Father and not just play to our emotions are more for me. I will take the Old Rugged Cross over Fill Me Up any day or All Hail the Power of Jesus Name over One Thing Remains or any song that focuses on I see your face, I see your face. Not all but a lot of modern Contemporary Christian Music lacks real meaning, is simply to engage your emotion or in some cases factually innaccurate and in a few cases blasphemy.

That is not to say I don't like some modern CCM but overall I will take a hymn. Want to see your church light up on Sunday, sing All Hail the Power of Jesus Name or How Great Thou Art or one of my favorites Blessed Assurance or It is Well with my Soul. I could go on and include Victory in Jesus, Come thou Fount and not the modern version, or On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand, again not the mixed up version. So yes, I am not crazy about contemporary christian music but I do like some of it a lot. Most of it not so much. Too much repetition, too little truth and too much emotion. Give me some older Bill Gaither, Lanny Wolfe and newer songs about the gospel and Gods mercy and I am good.

A quote I recently read, don't know the origin - “Praise songs are to hymns what greeting cards are to literature”

I think you make a very good point here. A lot of modern worship songs lack reverence in both their wording and style. Jesus may be our closest friend, but the Lord God is the Creator and sustainer of life and demands our utmost respect. A lot of the more traditional hymns and songs are richer in their theology, have a clear evangelistic message, use a standard hymnody which makes it more suitable for congregational singing and convey something of the mystery and majesty of God and have a feeling of reverence and awe.

However, I don't want to appear too old-fashioned and realise that we should welcome and embrace new creativity in the church!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Here's my list of 'currently playing'. A good mixture of the old and new.

Allelulia Sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol) - Choir of Norwich Cathedral

Lord Have Mercy - Robin Mark

Holy Spirit, Living Breath of God - Keith & Krytsten Getty

Jarrod Cooper - Eagles Wings

How Can I keep From Singing - Robert Kochis

Columba's Blessing - Northumbria Community

Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer - Kingsway Music

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Here's my list of 'currently playing'. A good mixture of the old and new.

Allelulia Sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol) - Choir of Norwich Cathedral

Lord Have Mercy - Robin Mark

Holy Spirit, Living Breath of God - Keith & Krytsten Getty

Jarrod Cooper - Eagles Wings

How Can I keep From Singing - Robert Kochis

Columba's Blessing - Northumbria Community

Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer - Kingsway Music
You mentioned Jarrod Cooper. I like his singing and preaching. 'You are my Healer' by Jarrod Cooper

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I love Jarrod Cooper's music and have his album "Sanctuary". He is a very gifted writer and his songs help me draw closer to God, reminding me of the nurture and care He has for us as individuals.

• Agree
Upvote 0