LDS What distinct Mormon doctrines DO come from the Bible and/or BoM? pretty much none of them?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Changing the wording on the thread - to ask the same question but in the inverse so we get straight to the point about no Mormon distinctive doctrines coming from BoM and/or Bible.

1. What are the significant/key/distinctive doctrines of the Mormon church? (Short list please - if possible) -- that DO come from the BoM or Bible and do not need other books (the ones written by Joseph Smith) to sustain them?

2. Are they all stated in either the Book of Mormon or the Bible? Or do you need one of Joseph Smith's books to find/define/support them?

3. What doctrines do Mormons hold to - that they claim are not distinctives for Mormons but rather are in common with all Christians?

4. If all the books written by Joseph Smith were deleted - (assuming the book of Mormon had some other author since it claims to be written by someone other than Joseph Smith) -- because "translating a book is not the same thing as authoring it", if all Smith's books were deleted what doctrines of Mormons would not survive? Doctrines that could no longer be held by the LDS church because they come from Smith's writings?

As I understand it - Mormons claim that in their early history all their missionaries had was the Bible and the book of Mormon -- so then they could not have held to any doctrine that is not found in one of those two books.

Last edited:

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Joseph Smith died in 1844.

The Book of Commandments preceeded The Doctrine and Covenants; it contained revelations..
Book of Commandments - Wikipedia.

The Doctrine and Covenants was first published in 1835 as a later version of the Book of Commandments, which had been partially printed in 1833. This earlier book contained 65 early revelations to church leaders, including Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery.
Doctrine and Covenants - Wikipedia

Section 1 was given Nov. 1, 1831. Section 132 is dated July 12, 1843.
Doctrine and Covenants

1851 edition.The Pearl of Great Price was first compiled by Franklin D. Richards in Liverpool, England. Some items duplicated text that was already available in the Doctrine and Covenants.
The first paragraph of the Introductory Note in the LDS edition of the Pearl of Great Price states: "The Pearl of Great Price is a selection of choice materials touching many significant aspects of the faith and doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These items were produced by Joseph Smith and were published in the Church periodicals of his day."
Pearl of Great Price (Mormonism) - Wikipedia

Pearl of Great Price

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Book of Mormon contains a criticism of the Bible. I didn't have time to read it before I was baptized. The missionaries came one afternoon and baptized me two weeks later. I was in high school and had a lot of homework.

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13:24-29

24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the [Bible]book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the [Bible]book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1. What are the significant/key/distinctive doctrines of the Mormon church? (Short list please - if possible).

2. Are they all stated in either the Book of Mormon or the Bible? Or do you need one of Joseph Smith's books to find/define/support them?

3. What doctrines do Mormons hold to - that they claim are not distinctives for Mormons but rather are in common with all Christians?

4. If all the books written by Joseph Smith were deleted - (assuming the book of Mormon had some other author since it claims to be written by someone other than Joseph Smith) -- because "translating a book is not the same thing as authoring it", if all Smith's books were deleted what doctrines of Mormons would not survive? Doctrines that could no longer be held by the LDS church because they come from Smith's writings?

As I understand it - Mormons claim that in their early history all their missionaries had was the Bible and the book of Mormon -- so then they could not have held to any doctrine that is not found in one of those two books.

Thie missionaries only carry the Bible and the Book of Mormon. They prefer to convert you to Mormonism without introducing you to the teachings found in the other books, but because of the internet we can read then online.

The Book of Mormon wasn't translated. Joseph Smith stuck his head in a hat and told his scribe what to write.
LDS Joseph Smith looking in a hat.jpeg

Some of their teachings not found in the Book of Mormon:

D&C:
3 "Kingdoms of Glory"
Temple Marriage, proxy work for non-Mormon dead, complete obedience are requirements for eternal life
Becoming gods and equal to God
Members who don't tithe will be burned at his coming; but no one can be destroyed

Lots more, but it's very late and I have to get off line.

Non-Mormons who were never taught by their missionaries will have an opportunity in the spirit world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thie missionaries only carry the Bible and the Book of Mormon. They prefer to convert you to Mormonism without introducing you to the teachings found in the other books, but because of the internet we can read then online.

I see them doing that when they come to my house but typically they only try to convey one distinctive doctrine in that phase - and that is that Joseph Smith translated the book of Mormon by not knowing the language - just by looking into a hat or at a stone or glass, and how cool whoever actually did write the book of Mormon must have been. (A story which is not in the Book of Mormon or the Bible -- so it would be hard to claim that even that story comes from the BoM -- other than an insert by someone who does not claim to be the author of the Book of Mormon)

But Mormonism has a lot of distinctive beliefs other than "our founder was able to translate a book by some odd means not normally used by mankind". Which is just about the only doctrine they have unique to them from the book of Mormon or the Bible... unless I am missing something.

So then when I ask them for "something besides" the supposed "gift of translation" they always ask me to read their other books.

The Book of Mormon wasn't translated. Joseph Smith stuck his head in a hat and told his scribe what to write.

ok but in the end all that sticking-head-in-hat or looking-at-stone got them was "a translation into english ... of some other document nobody has seen"...which probably makes perfect sense to Mormons but for someone looking in from the outside it seems a little fishy.

D&C:
3 "Kingdoms of Glory"
Temple Marriage, proxy work for non-Mormon dead, complete obedience are requirements for eternal life
Members who don't tithe will be burned at his coming; but no one can be destroyed

Non-Mormons who were never taught by their missionaries will have an opportunity in the spirit world.

Ok so that shows they do have some distinctive doctrines - besides the story about translating something into english..but how curious that those distinctives don't come from either the Bible or the Book of Mormon - and yet all their teaching had to have come from only the BoM and the Bible in those first few years because that is all they had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith died in 1844.

The Book of Commandments preceeded The Doctrine and Covenants; it contained revelations..

ok so they have a few other books besides the BoM - but their early missionaries in 1830 or 1831 could only have had the BoM and the Bible to make their case.

So then "What case" would that be? as far as I can tell they would only have the "translation" story because no other books existed.

D&C and SoGP are good examples of books that do have distinct Mormon doctrine - but could not have been the basis of study or doctrine in 1831 (for example) since those books did not exist then. So what were they teaching?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The BoM tells of some Jews that came to America. Nephi was instructed to build the ship.

1 Nephi 18
6 And it came to pass that on the morrow, after we had prepared all things, much fruits and meat from the wilderness, and honey in abundance, and provisions according to that which the Lord had commanded us, we did go down into the ship, with all our loading and our seeds, and whatsoever thing we had brought with us, every one according to his age; wherefore, we did all go down into the ship, with our wives and our children....

25 And it came to pass that we did find upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, that there were beasts in the forests of every kind, both the cow and the ox, and the ass and the horse, and the goat and the wild goat, and all manner of wild animals, which were for the use of men. And we did find all manner of ore, both of gold, and of silver, and of copper.

The BoM teaches that infant baptism is wrong. But it doesn't give an age at which childen should be baptized.

Moroni 8

10 Behold I say unto you that this thing shall ye teach—repentance and baptism unto those who are accountable and capable of committing sin; yea, teach parents that they must repent and be baptized, and humble themselves as their little children, and they shall all be saved with their little children.*

11 And their little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Behold, baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins.

12 But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!

13 Wherefore, if little children could not be saved without baptism, these must have gone to an endless hell.

14 Behold I say unto you, that he that supposeth that little children need baptism is in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; for he hath neither faith, hope, nor charity; wherefore, should he be cut off while in the thought, he must go down to hell.

* Parents aren't saved by simply being baptized according to the Doctrine and Covenants.
Moroni 8 goes on and on about the wickedness of baptizing little children.

D&C 20 gives the first documented instructions for LDS baptism.

D&C 68

27 And their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands.

3 Nephi 24
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the fields, saith the Lord of Hosts.

OOPS!

Bible, Malachi 3
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

Jacob 2
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

A few weird verses:
Alma 14:21
And many such things did they say unto them, gnashing their teeth upon them, and spitting upon them, and saying: How shall we look when we are damned?
Alma 14

Ether 15

30 And it came to pass that when Coriantumr had leaned upon his sword, that he rested a little, he smote off the head of Shiz.

31 And it came to pass that after he had smitten off the head of Shiz, that Shiz raised up on his hands and fell; and after that he had struggled for breath, he died.
Ether 15

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The BoM tells of some Jews that came to America. Nephi was instructed to build the ship.

Is that doctrine or history? -- I agree that it is unique to Mormons. But it says the reason they came to America is to flee from the horrid sin of polygamy that had been setup by David and Solomon. Interesting how that "doctrine" did not get passed on.

The BoM teaches that infant baptism is wrong. But it doesn't give an age at which childen should be baptized.

Ok - but so does the Bible and so also many other Christian denominations hold to that point - so it cannot be a distinctive for the Mormon denomination. (and in fact it would be "the expected" doctrine of an early Baptist like Samuel Spaulding)

D&C 20 gives the first documented instructions for LDS baptism.

D&C 68

27 And their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands.

I agree that unique Mormon doctrine baptized-when-8 can be found in books actually authored by Joseph Smith such as that one... but they could not be teaching D&C doctrine in 1832 for example - because it did not exist yet.

So what unique Mormon doctrine were Mormon missionaries teaching?? Other than some Jews left for America because the sin of polygamy was sooo terrible in the sight of God??

Jacob 2
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Good point but it is also a doctrine found and accepted by many non-Mormons in 1832 who only read the Bible.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Mormon contains a criticism of the Bible. I didn't have time to read it before I was baptized.

ok - but that does not call for reading some book other than the BoM which means all Mormon doctrine would still have to come from BoM or the Bible.

My own "belief" is that BoM is actually a document created by an early baptist preacher named "Samuel Spaulding" as a sort of "American Pilgrim's Progress" fiction and the manuscript was either sold by his wife after he died - to Smith or in some "other way" acquired by Joseph Smith. So its doctrine is going to be primarily "Baptist"

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Is that doctrine or history? -- I agree that it is unique to Mormons. But it says the reason they came to America is to flee from the horrid sin of polygamy that had been setup by David and Solomon. Interesting how that "doctrine" did not get passed on.

I don't remember the reason they came to America. However, they claim that concubines were abominable and polygamy is acceptable if God orders it. BTW, they can be sealed to another wife if the first one dies; then they will have two in the top level of the CK.

Ok - but so does the Bible and so also many other Christian denominations hold to that point - so it cannot be a distinctive for the Mormon denomination. (and in fact it would be "the expected" doctrine of an early Baptist like Samuel Spaulding)

A. D. D. 2.jpg

I agree that unique Mormon doctrine baptized-when-8 can be found in books actually authored by Joseph Smith such as that one... but they could not be teaching D&C doctrine in 1832 for example - because it did not exist yet.

True.

So what unique Mormon doctrine were Mormon missionaries teaching?? Other than some Jews left for America because the sin of polygamy was sooo terrible in the sight of God??

I have to look up that one, but I'm too tired right now.

One other distinctive thing was claiming that Jesus visited America; but that isn't doctrine.

Good point but it is also a doctrine found and accepted by many non-Mormons in 1832 who only read the Bible.

I realized after I started typing that the age for baptizing children wasn't in the Book of Mormon; so why would God even bring it up if He didn't want those people to know when and how to baptize them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I realized after I started typing that the age for baptizing children wasn't in the Book of Mormon; so why would God even bring it up if He didn't want those people to know when and how to baptize them?

Well I am not suggesting that the fictional work of Samuel Spaulding (Which is what I think the manuscript for the BoM actually started out as ) is inspired by God. I think he was just a well meaning Christian pastor that had an idea for an American-ized tale similar to Pilgrim's Progress. So no wonder a lot of Baptist ideas are in that book.

I am just wondering what they could have been teaching as "unique" Mormon doctrine in those first few years - given that Smith had not actually written his own book in full as of yet.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 280344

D&C:
3 "Kingdoms of Glory"

Again you are not correct in explaining how JS translated the BOM. Only one way was the way you explained. There were 2 other ways that JS translated the BOM, besides putting a stone in a hat and reading from the stone.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Again you are not correct in explaining how JS translated the BOM. Only one way was the way you explained. There were 2 other ways that JS translated the BOM, besides putting a stone in a hat and reading from the stone.

Do you hear what you are saying?? you are discussing the non-Bible topic of "translating a document from a hat"..

Please be serious.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What source are you using for this claim?

Jacob 1:15

[15] And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

=====================================
Would it be fair to say that LDS members don't actually read all of the BoM?

Jacob 2:24-29 states:

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

[31] For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.
[32] And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts.
[33] For they shall not lead away captive the daughters of my people because of their tenderness, save I shall visit them with a sore curse, even unto destruction; for they shall not commit whoredoms, like unto them of old, saith the Lord of Hosts.
[34] And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.
[35] Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, which cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds.

=========================== begin quote D&C

Doctrine and Cov chpt 42:22 49:15-16

42:22

22 Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else.

49:15-16

15 And again, verily I say unto you, that whoso forbiddeth to marry is not ordained of God, for marriage is ordained of God unto man.

16 Wherefore, it is lawful that he should have one wife, and they twain shall be one flesh, and all this that the earth might answer the end of its creation;

17 And that it might be filled with the measure of man, according to his creation before the world was made.

============================== begin quote

After receiving a revelation commanding him to practice plural marriage, Joseph Smith married multiple wives and introduced the practice to close associates. This principle was among the most challenging aspects of the Restoration—for Joseph personally and for other Church members. Plural marriage tested faith and provoked controversy and opposition. Few Latter-day Saints initially welcomed the restoration of a biblical practice entirely foreign to their sensibilities. But many later testified of powerful spiritual experiences that helped them overcome their hesitation and gave them courage to accept this practice.

Although the Lord commanded the adoption—and later the cessation—of plural marriage in the latter days, He did not give exact instructions on how to obey the commandment
These sealings may also be explained by Joseph’s reluctance to enter plural marriage because of the sorrow it would bring to his wife Emma. He may have believed that sealings to married women would comply with the Lord’s command without requiring him to have normal marriage relationships.33 This could explain why, according to Lorenzo Snow, the angel reprimanded Joseph for having “demurred” on plural marriage even after he had entered into the practice.34
Plural marriage was difficult for all involved. For Joseph Smith’s wife Emma, it was an excruciating ordeal.

Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo

=========================================

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I am not suggesting that the fictional work of Samuel Spaulding (Which is what I think the manuscript for the BoM actually started out as ) is inspired by God. I think he was just a well meaning Christian pastor that had an idea for an American-ized tale similar to Pilgrim's Progress. So no wonder a lot of Baptist ideas are in that book.
This theory makes a lot of sense to me as I find the BOM to espouse mostly Biblical doctrine. Far from preaching Tritheism, it may occasionally lean toward Modalism! And there is nothing about God the Father being an exalted human being, which is probably the Mormon's most offensive doctrine.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

[15] And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

[31] For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.
[32] And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts.
[33] For they shall not lead away captive the daughters of my people because of their tenderness, save I shall visit them with a sore curse, even unto destruction; for they shall not commit whoredoms, like unto them of old, saith the Lord of Hosts.
[34] And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.
[35] Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, which cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds.

22 Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else.

15 And again, verily I say unto you, that whoso forbiddeth to marry is not ordained of God, for marriage is ordained of God unto man.

16 Wherefore, it is lawful that he should have one wife, and they twain shall be one flesh, and all this that the earth might answer the end of its creation;

17 And that it might be filled with the measure of man, according to his creation before the world was made.

After receiving a revelation commanding him to practice plural marriage, Joseph Smith married multiple wives and introduced the practice to close associates. This principle was among the most challenging aspects of the Restoration—for Joseph personally and for other Church members. Plural marriage tested faith and provoked controversy and opposition. Few Latter-day Saints initially welcomed the restoration of a biblical practice entirely foreign to their sensibilities. But many later testified of powerful spiritual experiences that helped them overcome their hesitation and gave them courage to accept this practice.

Although the Lord commanded the adoption—and later the cessation—of plural marriage in the latter days, He did not give exact instructions on how to obey the commandment
These sealings may also be explained by Joseph’s reluctance to enter plural marriage because of the sorrow it would bring to his wife Emma. He may have believed that sealings to married women would comply with the Lord’s command without requiring him to have normal marriage relationships.33 This could explain why, according to Lorenzo Snow, the angel reprimanded Joseph for having “demurred” on plural marriage even after he had entered into the practice.34
Plural marriage was difficult for all involved. For Joseph Smith’s wife Emma, it was an excruciating ordeal.

I believe that polygamy was a test of sorts similar to Abraham's test to sacrifice his son Issac. Joseph Smith's test was to see if he would do all that God commanded him to do. It is my belief that those marriages of Joseph Smith were never consummated.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This theory makes a lot of sense to me as I find the BOM to espouse mostly Biblical doctrine. Far from preaching Tritheism, it may occasionally lean toward Modalism! And there is nothing about God the Father being an exalted human being, which is probably the Mormon's most offensive doctrine.

This is why I ask on this thread - what doctrines are unique to Mormons that can be taught from the Bible or BoM - the way the Mormon missionaries would have to have done it in 1831 since at that time they had no other books.

I am not getting very many responses here that do not rely instead on D&C or "Pearl of Great Price"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe that polygamy was a test of sorts similar to Abraham's test to sacrifice his son Issac.

Sort of an "if you love Me than have all the wives you want and don't bother with whether that is adultery or not, that shows how much you love Me"

being equivocated with

"if you love Me - sacrifice your only son as sign that you would sacrifice all for me"??

You're telling us that those two things look like a very similar request - to Mormons?

1. Because to the rest of us - they look waaayyyyy different.
2. And in the second case God would not allow Abraham to actually do it ... not even once. (It is the actual Bible example so then legit)

========================================================

It is my belief that those marriages of Joseph Smith were never consummated.

"Plural marriage was difficult for all involved. For Joseph Smith’s wife Emma, it was an excruciating ordeal."

======================

Is it your claim that merely having plural wives "documents" in the house and no actual connection/relation to those so-called wives... made it "excruciating" for Emma Smith??

Where was "The test"?? .. "having the papers" that God called "abominable" in Jacob 2 -- as if you had done the abomination??

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status