• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What Minister or Christian teacher would you recommend? Why do you like them?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Bible Highlighter, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+5,084
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    What Minister or Christian teacher would you recommend?

Why do you like them?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+1,599
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Jesus... we have His message

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Bible Highlighter

+5,084
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Indeed.
    One reason I ask is that there is no one out there who believes exactly like I do.

Second reason is that I am also curious as to what other posters will say.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member since 2005 Supporter

+1,000
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
  5. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog I am a Christian mutt.

+822
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Dr. Charles Stanley is my favorite on Christian TV. I have several but I can feel God all around him. He is a gentle teacher guiding us toward love.
    T. D. Jakes is another, his sermons speak to me in a personal way. He speaks to our everyday problems and how to handle them according to the word.
    I spend my Sabbath with Christian TV. Most of the day. Some times it is on in my sleep. Day star has disappeared. They also are a Christian channel and I miss them. What I didn't get from Tbn I counted on getting it on DS.
    God Bless.

As with everyone I like those that I am in agreement with:)

6. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,547
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Myself, because I know that I am His workmanship!

*I'm not a teacher, but a minister.

7. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,453
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I have several volumes of names, I don't know who to mention first. It often depends on the subject matter, as some teachers and ministers I know best deal with one particular subject better than another. Also, depending on the maturity level of the person I am recommending I recommend different people. I do not always agree with everything every minister may hold to, but that doesn't prevent me from learning from what they have learned and sharing it with others.

For starters, specifically new believers who have just came to the faith, I recommend all of the various teaching series and small booklets of the late R.C. Sproul. He is a great teacher for early discipleship, and has tremendously helped me in my early years (and still does). His work is perfect for newcomers.

John Piper and Desiring God Ministries, for the most part, is another person for a new follower. He has helped me when I was young in the faith too, really down to earth and understandable.

J.I Packer is another name great for newcomers in the faith. He has written many great articles and books for young and starting out Christians.

I don't read or hear these guys as much anymore as I use to, but their stuff is timeless and always great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Bible Highlighter

+5,084
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In part, I would agree based on 2 Timothy 2:15 But I would also include 1 John 2:27 that says:

“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” (1 John 2:27).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+1,599
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Because you have at present 7 billion people who could have their own angle if they are seeing Jesus' teaching through the eyes of the flesh. Jesus said there was only one way to see the Kingdom and that was through the eyes of the spirit. That enables us to see we are connected to everything and not trapped in the life and understanding of the flesh alone. Like Alice we step through the looking glass into the real world.

10. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,067
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Father Thomas Hopko. He was a modern Church Father.

11. Tigger45

Tigger45 The Good Shepherd Supporter

+7,411
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
  12. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,474
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Nadia Bolz-Weber. Even people that disagree with her like her, like Pr. Jordan Cooper, who is from a very different Lutheran synod and more conservative (for that matter, Pr. Cooper is worth listening to as well). She doesn't pretend to be something she is not, which is something I see too many Christians doing.

I also like the Canadian Lutheran theologian and historian David Wagschal, who is continuing in the tradition of Gerhard Forde and other radical Lutherans. There's alot there that has helped me deconstruct my Eastern Orthodox background and realize what is broken with it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,547
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I also enjoy Brad Scott of The WildBranch Ministry, because he's a really energetic and kinda kooky teacher with some eye opening material!

*Got to be eccentric for me to trust you...

14. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    IF YOU believe and accept the Bible as the Word of God then you and I will be BFF.

15. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hebrews 1:1-2...……..
    "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

16. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think that AGE plays a large part of the answer.

Those of us who are older would tend to say Dr. Magee, or Dr. Oliver Green and certainly Dwight Pentecost, Billy Graham and John Walvrood.

I would say that John Piper is excellent as is Dr. John Sullivan.

I do not watch a lot of TV people but of the ones I have seen, Dr. Charles Stanley is excellent.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  17. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+878
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    Go to your local pastor/minister/priest. All the big names, the superstars of Christendom, are corrupt.

18. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,312
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    "ALL". I would think a "LOT" but ALL is a little bit more than a lot.

You may be right.

19. Bible Highlighter

+5,084
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We need to pray for them. However, the truth of God's Word can be gleaned from certain articles, and videos, etc. But I do tend to think we are living in the last days, though. We need to love more than ever by the power of Jesus Christ.

20. Bible Highlighter

+5,084
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    While I do not agree with your selections, thank you for answering.

May God bless you this fine day.