• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

What makes you conservative ? why are you not a fundamentalist ?

Discussion in 'Conservative Christianity' started by gracethroughfaith, Sep 16, 2016.

1. gracethroughfaith

gracethroughfaith Member

+17
    Christian
    Private
    What do you do, think, believe that makes you conservative ? why are you not a fundamentalist ?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic Supporter

+1,517
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Fundamentalism requires literalism towards Genesis, whilst Conservatism does not.

3. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Well-Known Member

+2,965
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    I think conservatism actually means conformism..

4. Tull

Tull Well-Known Member

+882
    Christian
    Single
    Here we go,not three post in and the insults begin

5. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,098
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Fundamentalism morphed into a worldview that includes a false literalism or a literalism that avoids literary genres. Modern Fundamentalism is semi-gnostic in the way it disdains alcohol, drinking, the physical body, etc. and should be rejected.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

6. Job8

Job8 Senior Member

+1,784
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This is similar to Hillary's "deplorables" insults. *Semi-Gnostics* is about as ridiculous as you can get.

7. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+8,382
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm from more of an evangelical tradition. Seems that fundamentalists don't like that.

8. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,098
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Fundie's tend to dislike everything.

9. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    The two simply are different concepts. A conservative values that which has proven itself. A conservative is a traditionalist while not closing off the possibility of change; but he doesn't favor rash change that's based upon a theory without regard for past experience. There are conservatives in just about every denomination.

A fundamentalist is part of an interchurch movement that believes in Christians working together to uphold the basic doctrines of the Christian religion against liberal theology, while not demanding that everyone agree on the NON-essential doctrines that divide the different Christian churches.

They're similar in some ways, but these are not interchangeable terms.

10. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+1,149
    Christian
    Married
    Here is another view: Conservative actually speaks of being less ceremonial, ritualistic, etc. (somewhere between the High Church sects and "fundamentalism"; and I see fundamentalism as very independent and seeking to each have their own private interpretations. I believe God would be pleased to have us all be "scriptural", as "one body in Christ", which is a rarity in christendom today. I think the site at biblecounsel.net has got it about right! Look up always, for God cares always!

11. Shodan

Shodan Member

+79
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am an American conservative, which for me is a political position including
    • Individual rights
    • Personal responsibility
    • Limited government
    • Free markets
    It has almost nothing to do with fundamentalism. I am not a fundamentalist because I have been persuaded by the evidence that Genesis and some of the other parts of the Bible are not to be interpreted literally.

Regards,
    Shodan

12. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't see any reason for coming to that conclusion. It's not as though ritual is some kind of innovation; it is very historic, like it or not, so to favor it because you feel that it is worth retaining IS to be conservative.

The word has come to mean dozens of different things, depending upon who's speaking. However, the word originally meant (and still does, if you check the Statement of Belief here on CF) an uncompromising defense of Christian basics that just about all denominations, whether Catholic or Protestant, would hold as essential in the face of religious liberalism.

13. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+1,149
    Christian
    Married

14. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Ritual has always been a part of worship in both the Hebrew and Christian religions, so any suggestion that ritual itself is an "innovation" is a non-starter as an argument. And the idea that the Roman Catholic Church invented ritual is even worse!

If that's the basis of your argument about what's conservative in religion, I rather suspect that you are thinking of something other than "ritual." As a matter of fact, there are relatively few Protestant worship services that could be said to be without their respective rituals.

Of course there are a number of other factors that should go into any defintion of both "conservative" and "fundamentalistic."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  15. joseph_

joseph_ New Member

+11
    Charismatic
    Single
    I think of conservatism as being an attitude and response to tradition whereas fundamentalism is an effort to replace theological studies with Biblical literalism, typically in small independent baptist churches that disdain theological studies.

16. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Not to disagree with you, but the two words really define themselves.

A "CONSERVative" in either religion or politics wants to conserve or perpetuate what is the best of the past, that which has proven itself, while not going in for any untested innovations. A "FUNDAMENTAList" in religion wants to make common cause with every other Christian who agrees on the essentials/basics/fundamentals of the faith that have been under attack from theological liberals over the past century or so, foregoing fights over the non-essentials that divide us into different denominations.

:)

17. classicalhero

classicalhero Junior Member

+398
    Baptist
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    Apart from Albion, most don't even understand the terms they are trying to use.

18. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,616
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    The statements of purpose of the two groups make it clear what each one (at least here at CF) stands for. The statement of purpose of the fundamentalist group excludes me, primarily since I do not share their stated view of what Scripture fundamentally is and why we have it.

The statement of purpose for the conservative group is worded such that I largely agree with it and nothing excludes me (although I'very been largely absent from CF for some time and haven't posted here quite a while).