What makes a successful marriage?

T

twnsrkr

For those of you who haven't been divorced, I'm curious as to why you believe your marriage has lasted. Some say common interest, while others say interests change. Some say compatibility, but how compatible equals compatible? People marry for the wrong reasons, get counseling, and then everything's fine. While there are others who marry, get counseling, and split. Is it nothing more than a desire to make things work? What do you think?

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a lot to it. Desire to make things work is a big part of it I would say. I'd also say it's important to select someone with similar values.

I don't have much to say, only been married 3 years.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've only been married not even 2 months lol. So I can't give much input. What I do know is before we married we talked about every single issue we could see in modern marriages that cause them to go sour (and sometimes that lead to divorce). We played out many scenarios. Then we went through some of the things we seen that seem to work in long marriage.

In the end we decided what is needed and whats to be avoided. We also agreed divorce is not a word to ever use. Marriage is forever and it requires nonstop hard work to keep it happy. We also believe how your raised tends to affect how you may be one married. in the it takes alot of things. Doesn't mean there won't be trials though. But its what you do at those times that matters.

As it is the process of getting my wife to america is complicated and lengthy. So its causing stress for us. BUT, not towards each other. We back up each other when one is feeling down. We pray and do devotions. We reflect on God's Promises. THat I think is one of those keys that you must have for a good marriage. Knowing how to comfort and restore your spouses faith in Christ and overall making them feel better.

Give me a few years and I can tell you how this knowledge worked out for us. lol

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I was divorced. That does not mean I don't know what it takes to make marriage work. In fact, I know what kinds of things contribute to divorce, so I am quite qualified to make inferences based on my experience. But I do have a LOT of other knowledge of marriage, as the marriage preparation stage was a large part of my undergrad and personal studies. After my own divorce, I wanted to make sure it was not going to happen again, so I studied how to do it right.

Since everyone is unique, both unique partners come in and create a unique couple. So making blanket statements about what makes marriage work is not a good idea. It does not apply to everyone. However, there are principles that contribute to making marriage work. Of course, how those principles are played out in every unique marriage will be different.

Dr. John Gottman and Nan Silver are leading experts in the marriage relationship, and I have used their principles (along with a few of my own as well as from the Bible) in my marriage preparation program. I really encourage you to read their book "The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work."

In addition to their principles, I have also added Biblical principles and the commitment principle. Commitment is a combination of caring and consistency. You need both for it to be commitment. The results of caring and consistency is the other person feeling significant and secure. When two people are equally committed, the expectancy is that your spouse is behaving in goodwill and there are no suspicions of ulterior motives - and behaving this way consistently over time is cumulative.

So that's a little of what I've learned from my own divorce, from years and years of being single, from studying marriage by observation and by education, and from my current marriage.

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The desire to stay together
The perseverance to work out the inevitable issues
The ability to swallow your ego and get help if necessary
The dedication to live as the Bible commands and to put Christ in the center of your marriage

Peace,
~ Niffer

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those of you who haven't been divorced, I'm curious as to why you believe your marriage has lasted. Some say common interest, while others say interests change. Some say compatibility, but how compatible equals compatible? People marry for the wrong reasons, get counseling, and then everything's fine. While there are others who marry, get counseling, and split. Is it nothing more than a desire to make things work? What do you think?

My husband and I are as different as we can be. He's into art, painting, drawing, stuff like that. He's quiet, sort of shy. I'm into cars, music, engineering stuff (I am an engineer), I'm loud, outgoing, social. I like "geek" TV, he doesn't.

We've been married for almost 15 years now. We've been through a lot together, including the deaths of both my parents, job loss, serious illness, a cross country move, etc. The two of us balance each other out. I can honestly say that I'm married to my best friend, the other half of me.

We've seen our share of trouble, but what has kept us going is that we made that vow...not just to each other, but to God. The minute you take the possibility of divorce off the table, it becomes a matter of working things out. We never go to bed angry at each other (that's made for some sleepless nights), we talk until we reach a conclusion or decision. Neither one of us tries to control the other. We are grown ups and able to control ourselves. We have no secrets. We have, for the most part, a playful relationship, where we choose to laugh even though we have many reasons to cry.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you want a Christian marriage, I'd put love, the fear of the Lord, and taking God's word seriously high on the list.

A lot of things are included in these categories. It's important to forgive. That is extremely important. Humility is also importation. If you or your partner have a big problem with pride and not wanting to forgive, that can make the marriage really hard. Humility allows either you or your partner to admits your mistakes.

If you both fear the Lord and continuing in a state in your relationship that is not pleasing to the Lord is not an option for either of you, that's a good motivator to work things out. It really helps to pray together. You can take any relationship problems to prayer. You can also read the Bible together, go to church together. Those things are good for the relationship, too.

Compatibility is important, but compatible in regards to what? Your values are what need to be compatible. My wife and I were from time zones that were literally 12 hours apart for much of the year. She lived in the southern hemisphere when she graduated high school, and I lived in the northern hemisphere. I don't know if there is an inhabited place on earth that is more than could be further away from where I was give or take a few hundred miles. She is from a very different culture. But we come from similar religious backgrounds, and her values were probably a lot more compatible with mine than the average girl on the street I could have found in the US. We were both Christians, but we were also coming from a similar perspective.

You want to be compatible in things like this:
1. Your faith.
2. Your philosophy of marriage.
3. Your philosophy of raising children.
4. Your attitude toward parents.

Some of things my wife and I did not discuss at great depth before marriage, like parents, but in hind sight I'd recommend it. Are you going to put your parents in a home or do they have to live with you? That's the sort of thing it's good to talk about. If you want to have 10 kids, and your wife wants to have surrogate mother have one child, max, with her implated eggs (to save her figure) that might not be a good match. If one of you doesn't want children and refuses to budge, and the other does, IMO, it would generally be extremely foolish to marry.

If I knew what I knew now, and I were a young man looking for a wife, I'd look for someone who took Ephesians 5, I Peter 3, and Colossians 3 about the duties of the wife seriously, just as I should take the duties of the husband seriously. Honestly, the culture programs American and probably western European women to oppose this teaching of scripture. I'd want to be on the same page when it came to that. I did ask about that with my wife. We are on the same page. I did not do a good job of setting the tone by provided leadership as head in the way we interacted at first in our marriage. I also was not diligent about praying with my wife or studying the Bible with her until later on. That was foolish of me. I didn't really have a great vision for my own marriage. I didn't do a lot of refining of what I grew up with to improve on it, in my mind, in regard to marriage.

Proverbs has a lot to say about women. It's starts off as a letter to a son. One preacher argued that the passages about women are written to the son, and therefore the book is partly a guide of how to choose a bride. It seems to be a compilation of books, but it sure can serve as a good guide for choosing a bride, too. One thing to avoid is the quarrelsome woman. If the girl likes to argue a lot, won't own up to being wrong when it's obvious, or is too in your face about it when she is right, that's something to look at. If she yells at her own parents, what will she do if she's married to you. See how she interacts with her parents. See if she has a string of broken family and friend relationships. A few here and there could be the other person's fault, maybe even suffering for righteousness' sake. They could also be signs of a lack of an ability to get along.

Look through Proverbs 31. Ask yourself if this woman can be a good mother? It sounds like something a redneck off of a cowboy movie would want in a wife, but looking at that chapter shows us you want a hard-working woman. Can she cook? I she willing to learn. My wife could cook a little when we first got married. Now people rave about her cooking, and she was recently a guest chef serving a $45 a plate dinner. You want a wife who will feed the kids that are hard to feed, not sitting around watching soap operas and expecting you to mop the floors and do the dishes when you get home after working overtime. I didn't really focus on this as a criteria as a young man, but God blessed me with a diligent woman anyway.

You seem concerned about divorce. If I were you I would also look for a virgin. Another option, would be a widow who'd been faithful to her husband and lived pure after he passed. My perspective is as someone who waited till marriage, and I've only been with my wife. Otherwise, that criteria might not seem 'fair.' I was looking for someone who'd not become one flesh with another man or multiple men, after reading the Old and Testament scriptures on the subject over the years.

Statistically, there is some evidence in the marriage and family academic literature that either virgins and women who never had sex with anyone but their husband are statistically less likely to divorce than women who have had multiple sexual partners. (Look up Teachman on Google Scholar). The reason that might come to mind is comparing men. It could also be emotional baggage. It could be that women who wait value marriage more, or maybe they choose high quality men who are willing to respect their virginity. I don't know of statistical evidence on widows. Of course, you could find someone who had fornicated who repented of her sin who would make a good wife, too. People aren't statistics.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask a potential candidate for marriage her opinion on some scenarios related to divorce. You could start with an example from a feminist atheist's blog where a woman divorces to 'go find herself' or use some example from someone you know, and ask her what she thinks. Maybe you could work some celebrity or movie storyline into a conversation and see what she thinks without it sounding like a test that she would then be motivated to pass. You could read some old posts on the married couples forum about marriage problems that are much more challenging and ask what the wife or husband should do. If she throws divorce out as an option for really light marriage problems, or the first thing that pops in her head for regular difficult marriage struggles, you can study the Bible with her and disciple her. If she's set in her ways about divorce being an easy option-- if she has an escape hatch sitting there open and ready to use in her mind-- break it off. Don't invest any more romantic interest in that relationship and waste both of your time.

Of course, you would also have to be against divorce for light or moderate marriage problems. If she suggests divorce or separation over adultery, a man beating his wife to a bloody pulp, or things like that, you may find that reasonable. If they can't agree on whether to buy a new model wheelchair for her mom or a boat for him, and she recommends divorce, that may be cause for alarm.

Find out whether she wants to stay home with the children. How are you going to spend the money? Is your philosophy for your wife to go out and get a job and pay her half of the rent, or are you going to work and support yourself, your wife, and the kids, and she makes the home suitable for a family? Is your money family money and her money for special projects and needs she has, or is her money half yours? That's good to discuss. Neither of you may have thought about it. But it's good to go into marriage with an idea about this.

I hear money and sex are the two biggest sources of arguments in marriage. So I think it is a good thing to discuss the sexual issues before you actually get engaged. If you want to find out if she is a virgin, you may need to very, very tactfully try to get that information early on, maybe by sharing your information. You have to be careful not to talk about this stuff on a couch in a dark room where you can be tempted. Outside in the park, out of earshot in broad daylight, or maybe on the phone with some reasonable privacy might work. The question is her philosophy of sexual frequency. If she's a virgin, depending on what kind of 'activities' she has engaged in she may have no idea. You may have no idea. If her philosophy is only birthdays, Christmas, and Easter, and ovulation days while seeking to conceive, and you are looking forward to every night or several times a week, that might be a problem. But if she says she's really flexible about that and is willing to meet her husband's needs, you might be able to work with that. If she says every night, and you are looking for once a month, you might need to consider whether you'd be a good match for her. But if she's a virgin, that might not be an issue. IMO, the best answer is the frequency should be to meet the needs of the other partner and to get your own met, so that no one is unsatisfied. You can open I Corinthians 7.

This is the kind of conversation you do before bringing out the ring. IMO, it's best to keep it in the third person. Talk about her husband, not you. If you haven't made a commitment, you don't have a right to talk about her having sex with you. It may be a good idea to have the conversation when you've pretty much decided this is the person to marry.

You can also list a number of traits you are looking for in terms of personality, character, and skill. But if you are like the rest of us, there are areas you need to work on and develop. Whatever woman you decide to marry will likely have some shortcomings that you can see. She may even have some shortcomings in areas that keep her from being the Proverbs 31 woman. But reading that, her husband is already an elder, so she's probably at least middle aged. She's probably got some life experience already. If you meet a woman who fears the Lord and is on the way to becoming a Proverbs 31 woman, that's quite a blessing to.

Proverbs 31:30

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
(NIV)

Maybe that's not the best theme verse for me looking for a wife, because my wife is pretty, too. But she does fear the Lord. If I get angry and it last 10 seconds, that's a really long time for me. If I get into an argument with her, I'm ready to make up in a few seconds to maybe a minute. In the past, my wife would need more time than that, though she's gotten a lot more relaxed about it in recent years. But if she were angry or struggling to forgive me, she'd pray, and she'd realize she had to forgive or not hold resentment and we'd make up. Fear of the Lord has lead her to do the right thing. It's also one of the main things that keeps me from running around on my wife, or mistreating her, or ignoring her needs, or doing drugs, or a million other things that could seriously damage a marriage. I don't seriously think about running off and doing drugs and all kinds of stuff like that, but it's the fear of the Lord and love for the Lord that keeps me from wanting to go do such things.

Something else to consider is really praying, seeking God, and fasting and asking the Lord to send you the right wife for you, and asking whether the woman you meet is the right one. I took a 'show me whether this is the right one' approach with the Lord. So did my wife. By the time I decided to propose, I was completely convinced and ready--in terms of commitment to her-- for the many challenges involved in marrying into another culture where extended family can be very involved in the wedding. I was completely convinced I wanted to marry that woman, and that she was the woman God had for me to marry.

It's also important to be a good husband and grow in your own walk with the LORD and in your own character. It's important to work really hard and prepare financially for having a wife. Certain things can tempt women to leave their husband, even if it isn't completely justified. Of course there is abuse and adultery, which makes a lot of people's mind go to divorce. But there is also laziness and passiveness. Being passive about the career or what direction to take the family can hurt the relationship. Of course there is also withdrawing sexually or emotionally. If you like a 'spunky' type girl, letting her run all over you why you say 'yes dear' to unreasonable demands, letting her be right all the time even when she's wrong may even make her feel insecure, since it's signalling not having much of a backbone. So you have to be firm and have goals and direction at times.

Keeping a relationship strong is on-going work. It's a lot of fun being married if you do have a good, loving relationship. A lot of the divorce statistics you hear aren't accurately interpreted, and repeated wrongly. Be that as it may, I've read in a couple of secondary sources that less than 1% of married couples who regularly pray together divorce. Put God first in your marriage. If you believe God has designed you to marry, don't let the prevelence

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
twnsrkr said:

Marry for worse. Marry to Love your spouse, and not for butterflies. Ask yourself, if this person will do everything in their power to hurt me one day, like men do to God, will I be able to forgive and love them unconditionally still like Christ loves me.

Sounds crude, but if God is first in both your lives, and you realize that the other person will change and so will you; then you will have a good chance at a successful marriage.

I have made it to 11years so far. The ride has been some of the best of times and some of the worst of times, but I wouldn't change it one bit, because my relationship with God has grown from it. And my relationship with my wife has grown also into something that I never had at the beginning.

• Winner
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'll just give you a heads up - it's not all about looking for the perfect/right woman, it's about you being the "right" man. What have you done or what you are willing to do to make a marriage work? How open are you to change, to discussion, to making a marriage dynamic work? Are you all about your hobbies and your job? What are your expectations in marriage? How able are you to communicate these to your wife? What kind of a wife do you think you want? A doormat or an equal partner?

IMO, most people go out looking for the "perfect" or ideal partner, and they have many, many disappointments because many people don't measure up. Many don't think about themselves and how they should measure up for marriage and how marriageable they are. They assume that they are already an ideal future spouse and they just need to find someone that needs to fit in the niche marked "husband" or "wife" with what they think that entails.

Flexibility is important. Communication. Compromise. Kindness. Willingness to change and to learn from each other. Lack of the ability to compromise is a marriage killer - setting people in their "niche" and not allowing them any expression, because you and you only know how a marriage should look.

• Useful
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree on it's not as much looking for the right person it's you and your spouse both making an effort to be that right person.

Sacrifice is the name of the game for both partners. If either partner isn't willing to sacrifice and give it their all then that's when things go bad. So you have to do your part and be willing to sacrifice.

You should almost always look at it from the context of "what more can I give?" and not asking yourself about what they are doing.

You shouldn't be completely blind if your partner is trying to use you. Occasionally you see people end up with people who don't want to do anything at all but stay at home and watch TV. (For the record not the same as being a stay at home parent) But if your partner is making a good faith effort at it, then you should be giving it your all.

Also don't focus on the negatives, always focus on the positives.

If you are thinking alot about how much you gave up and how "oh if I was single I could do this again." then you are destroying your own marriage.

Also you are likely after you get married and move in together find things about your spouse that are annoying or you don't like. The big things talk with her about and see if she can change them, and she should do the same thing for you and you try to change them.

The little things you just deal with.

And remember not everything can be changed.

Always focus in your own mind about the things you love about your spouse. Again focus on the positive because focusing on the negative will kill your marriage.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree on it's not as much looking for the right person it's you and your spouse both making an effort to be that right person.

Sacrifice is the name of the game for both partners. If either partner isn't willing to sacrifice and give it their all then that's when things go bad. So you have to do your part and be willing to sacrifice.

You should almost always look at it from the context of "what more can I give?" and not asking yourself about what they are doing.

You shouldn't be completely blind if your partner is trying to use you. Occasionally you see people end up with people who don't want to do anything at all but stay at home and watch TV. (For the record not the same as being a stay at home parent) But if your partner is making a good faith effort at it, then you should be giving it your all.

Also don't focus on the negatives, always focus on the positives.

If you are thinking alot about how much you gave up and how "oh if I was single I could do this again." then you are destroying your own marriage.

Also you are likely after you get married and move in together find things about your spouse that are annoying or you don't like. The big things talk with her about and see if she can change them, and she should do the same thing for you and you try to change them.

The little things you just deal with.

And remember not everything can be changed.

Always focus in your own mind about the things you love about your spouse. Again focus on the positive because focusing on the negative will kill your marriage.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't disagree with the past two posts that both need to be willing to sacrifice and make things work and that 'you' need to be the best spouse you can be, and not just the other person. But also, before you marry, choosing a suitable partner is extremely important. After you marry, it's all about both of you making things work. When you haven't picked someone yet, it's about choosing someone who you can make things work with.

But a man can choose a woman who would make an excellent mate, who is committed to marriage, but if he isn't committed that could destroy the marriage, too.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced

I respectfully disagree. I think you need to simply be who you are (but also growing in spiritual maturity and character) and find a suitable match - the same needs to be said for your future spouse. Be who you are. But also be informed about what marriage is and how you will contribute to the marriage dynamic.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I respectfully disagree. I think you need to simply be who you are (but also growing in spiritual maturity and character) and find a suitable match - the same needs to be said for your future spouse. Be who you are. But also be informed about what marriage is and how you will contribute to the marriage dynamic.
So far as my opinion, I don't think that I was meaning that people should pretend to be different or change to suit the person that they meet - I was taking it from the perspective that marital advice often centers around "finding the right person" or "the one", and giving kids that advice I believe often misfires, because they are left thinking that so long as they find this "right/perfect" person, then everything will work out. But in fact, we are all faulty and we all have issues we have to work on, so working on or correcting our own faults will help us to BE the right person, when we meet the person who is right for us.

For instance, one of my teen kids is very stubborn and demanding and really does expect perfection. I see him breaking his head against a brick wall every day. I am trying to advise him to dial back, stop expecting perfection. If he keeps on in his current track, he will not ever find a "suitable" wife, because he will see more faults than good things. For instance, he broke up with a gf a few months ago because he wasn't "getting butterflies". :( His expectations are set far, far too high, and it worries me for his future relationships. IMO, he needs to work on those high expectations. Marriage isn't all butterflies in the stomach, as we all know!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
So far as my opinion, I don't think that I was meaning that people should pretend to be different or change to suit the person that they meet - I was taking it from the perspective that marital advice often centers around "finding the right person" or "the one", and giving kids that advice I believe often misfires, because they are left thinking that so long as they find this "right/perfect" person, then everything will work out. But in fact, we are all faulty and we all have issues we have to work on, so working on or correcting our own faults will help us to BE the right person, when we meet the person who is right for us.

For instance, one of my teen kids is very stubborn and demanding and really does expect perfection. I see him breaking his head against a brick wall every day. I am trying to advise him to dial back, stop expecting perfection. If he keeps on in his current track, he will not ever find a "suitable" wife, because he will see more faults than good things. For instance, he broke up with a gf a few months ago because he wasn't "getting butterflies". :( His expectations are set far, far too high, and it worries me for his future relationships. IMO, he needs to work on those high expectations. Marriage isn't all butterflies in the stomach, as we all know!

Thanks for clarifying, Hetta. That is what I was trying to say, that trying to be something you're not just won't work. And expecting perfection is setting yourself and anyone you date up for failure.

When it comes to getting butterflies, I think they are far too overrated and are the worst indicators of suitability for a lifetime commitment with someone.

Perfection does not exist. I remember watching a show about why some people have a hard time finding someone. One fellow admitted he met a terrific gal who he enjoyed being with. He wanted to ask her on a date, but when she turned around, he noticed she had dirty elbows, so he never asked her out. Can you imagine!! And the thing is, he was no pretty picture himself.

I am SOOO glad my husband is not perfect - all my filthiness and imperfection would be exposed standing next to someone so perfect. But we love each other, are committed, and tolerate each other's stuff..... our priorities are in synch and we work at our marriage daily.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you all for your responses, it is very helpful. I think all of you agree that its a combo of finding a suitable person, and then making it work once married. But how do you know the person is a good enough match? What if there are parts of you that aren't compatible, e.g. your a socialite and their a hermit?

Get to know them, talk to them, ask them, ask their friends and family. That's why people date....to figure those things out. This is also why it's good to know yourself. Do you know you are a partier? You can figure out in one date whether s/he is also a partier.

Come to think of it, there's a book out called "Two Dates or Less". It gives you hints about how to listen for information on a deeper level so you can figure out what lies behind the things they say. For example, in the course of a natural conversation, you say "did you do anything special for Mother's Day?" Listen for the tone of the response..it will say a lot about the relationship they have with their mom. Then you can decide whether you want someone who still has apron strings, a partner with an alcoholic parent, or whatever that dynamic is. You can assess a lot based on how they talk about their family of origin.

It's also pretty important to talk about relationships. What kind of family did they grow up in? If they had an authoritarian dad, their view of marriage will be very different than if they grew up in an egalitarian household. Those are the kinds of things to listen for.

Ask questions that will help to expose the values that drive them. Find out about their passions, etc. There are so many ways you can learn a lot about someone in a very short time. It is important to also be open about who you are so the other person can also make those same assessments.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your responses, it is very helpful. I think all of you agree that its a combo of finding a suitable person, and then making it work once married. But how do you know the person is a good enough match? What if there are parts of you that aren't compatible, e.g. your a socialite and their a hermit?
Don't set yourself up for huge incompatabilities. For one thing, you are unlikely to meet a hermit, because - yeah - they are a hermit. I understand that is just an example.

When you meet someone, and you start to get to know them, that is when you start talking about what is important to you, and hearing what is important to them. Make sure that these match up - especially the important ones about faith, church-going, children etc. If there is no or very little matching going on, then it isn't wise to take a chance and just hope it works out.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some differences actually complement each other. If you are a bit of a recluse and have difficulty making friends, and marry a social butterfly, you can make friends with her friends and her friends husbands. It can actually benefit you. My wife is a lot more social than I am in that way, and it's a good thing for me.

If your personalities are different, but you get along with each other, what does it matter that you are different?

Having 'things in common', IMO, is overrated. If you just won't be satisfied unless you have a wife who will hike up mountains with you, maybe you can find someone like that. But if you don't mind her staying home and doing needlepoint or scrap booking with her friends while you hike with your friends once a month, it can work out just fine. How many men enjoy shopping in women's shoe stores? A lot of women don't like sitting around watching sports. Some do, but more men do than women. As long as a hobby is not all consuming and an obsession that you can't stand, it doesn't have to be a big problem. A woman who can't stand her man sitting around watching hours and hours of sports and ignoring her should think twice before she marries a sports fanatic who has to watch every single game of both college and professional football, and record the ones he didn't see and watch later.

What you need to have in common are values and beliefs that relate to how your marriage and home will function later. You also need to consider your goals, like having children.

I agree with Hetta that it's not about finding the magical 'right person' who has no flaws. Everyone has areas they need to work on. But you can find someone who is suitable and meets a certain standard of 'quality' that you, personally for yourself, are looking for. If you meet that other person's standard of quality, and see a future there that might include marriage, you can consider moving forward with a relationship. Sometimes it takes a while for each to figure out what the other is like.

Upvote 0