What Makes A Good Home Self Defense Gun?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here in the United States, there are many issues that people love to debate. While politics tops the list today, there are certainly other issues that could divide the country and leave people flustered and downright hostile. Up there with the best city for pizza or whether baseball should have a designated hitter rule is the issue of “what makes a good home self-defense gun?”

For a large percentage of Americans, the answer will invariably be “you don’t need a gun at all.” There is always going to be a segment of the population that sees no reason for guns, making the argument “guns make you more dangerous” or just the bewildering “I don’t believe in guns” statement.

Getting past that, and addressing those actual supporters of the Second Amendment comes the issue of determining the needs for a self defense gun. While such a debate could be used for the basis of a book, there are a few quick points to consider.

Among those is the legality of even owning a firearm as well as how to properly purchase and register your firearm. Those in cities such as Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C. should simply go to the lock store instead – because the legality of firearm ownership is simply too great to overcome. For those who don’t like that fact should then simply move to a part of the country that is more supportive of the Second Amendment.

In other words, the first – and most important consideration for a good self-defense gun – comes down to what you may (or may not) be able to legally own. Committing a felony should never be part of the equation.

Continued below.
What Makes a Good Home Self Defense Gun? - 19FortyFive

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The 3 cities you name have had to loosen their prohibitions somewhat, due to Supreme Court rulings over the last 12 years. While they are not "gun-friendly", it's a big step in the right direction.

A good home-defense gun is one you feel comfortable enough to learn about, practice with, and use immediately, should the need present itself. Like automobiles, there is no "one size fits all" gun.

There are always tradeoffs: size vs. power and wall penetration vs. armor penetration come to mind.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like 40s they are kool. Not partial to 9 mm I like carbines but not ars. Short shotguns are good for home defense but I don’t have one. I think you should shoot em in the leg because here home robbery is not a execution offense.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I like 40s they are kool. Not partial to 9 mm I like carbines but not ars. Short shotguns are good for home defense but I don’t have one. I think you should shoot em in the leg because here home robbery is not a execution offense.
Another vote for short shot gun. If 12 ga. is too much; go 20.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shotguns are best because unlike a .45 or 9mm etc round, the pellets have a shorter range and will be far less likely to hit a bystander by going out a window or through a wall.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Also vote 12ga shotgun (specifically with 00 buckshot). In a panic situation, all fine motor skills are out the window unless you're readily trained for such events. While a Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel is a great inexpensive choice, I'd opt for a Mossberg 930 tactical if I had the money for it. Slap a light on either and call it a day.

That said, my wife would take the night stand pistol and secure the kids...don't forget to arm/train the wife!

Upvote 0