Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I go through the New Threads list frequently and am sometimes discouraged that threads are posted for specific denominations, rather than on forums where everyone is welcome to participate, so I thought I'd start one of those myself.

So what makes a church grow? Dancing girls? I don't think so. I think what people are looking for are church leaders who have integrity. I think integrity (obedience to the Lord) is what makes a church grow.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Integrity's important, but I'd say so is relationship building. You have to actually connect with people.
There is a lot that goes into church growth, I suppose, though I would maintain that integrity is the foundation.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say different things make different churches grow. It may depend on what area the church is in. Building a new, large residential area has sometimes made a church grow in the past. Sometimes that, plus evangelizing that new area has helped a church grow. TV advertising has helped churches grow. A new pastor has helped churches grow. A new, enlarged building sometimes makes a church grow. A new program to reach community children has helped churches grow.
One thing to keep in mind is that just because a church grows doesn't mean it is necessarily doing what God wants it to do. If a church had it's ushers passing out 20 dollar bills to everyone in the service, instead of collecting an offering, that church would probably grow, till it went bankrupt. Churches that make people feel real good, and entertain them well have grown, whether they accurately teach the Word of God or not. Churches that do exactly what God wants them to do, may not always grow. In fact in some countries the government would destroy their material possessions, and work to shut them down.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I would say different things make different churches grow. It may depend on what area the church is in. Building a new, large residential area has sometimes made a church grow in the past. Sometimes that, plus evangelizing that new area has helped a church grow. TV advertising has helped churches grow. A new pastor has helped churches grow. A new, enlarged building sometimes makes a church grow. A new program to reach community children has helped churches grow.
One thing to keep in mind is that just because a church grows doesn't mean it is necessarily doing what God wants it to do. If a church had it's ushers passing out 20 dollar bills to everyone in the service, instead of collecting an offering, that church would probably grow, till it went bankrupt. Churches that make people feel real good, and entertain them well have grown, whether they accurately teach the Word of God or not. Churches that do exactly what God wants them to do, may not always grow. In fact in some countries the government would destroy their material possessions, and work to shut them down.
You bring up an interesting point. Maybe it's time to try to see it from the Lord's point of view.

Churches that hand out twenty dollar bills or feature dancing girls might attract people in the short run, but the twenty dollar bills will run out, and people will find prettier dancing girls elsewhere, or discover dancing girls aren't the way to happiness.

But what is the Lord trying to accomplish? Which churches is he going to lend his support to? I would go back to my assertion that integrity is the foundation for a healthy church, and that a church with integrity is the one the Lord will lend his blessing to.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You bring up an interesting point. Maybe it's time to try to see it from the Lord's point of view.

Churches that hand out twenty dollar bills or feature dancing girls might attract people in the short run, but the twenty dollar bills will run out, and people will find prettier dancing girls elsewhere, or discover dancing girls aren't the way to happiness.

But what is the Lord trying to accomplish? Which churches is he going to lend his support to? I would go back to my assertion that integrity is the foundation for a healthy church, and that a church with integrity is the one the Lord will lend his blessing to.
Maybe I am splitting hairs, overlooking the obvious, or being nitpicky, but integrity alone is not enough. Integrity, like sincerity, may be good in and of themselves, but unless they are based on the knowledge of God and on the written Word of God they are insufficient. A person may have sincerity, but be sincerely wrong, misguided, and not right with God. A person may have integrity and not even be a Christian; they may be trusted to do what they say, speak the truth as they know it, and be fair in how they relate to people, but that would still be insufficient to follow God's
I don't get it.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Re: fertilizer and water (not my post): these are what make plants grow, so the person is saying they would make a church grow. There are what are referred to as "church plants" (churches starting other churches), so it is an attempt at humor I take it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Re: fertilizer and water (not my post): these are what make plants grow, so the person is saying they would make a church grow. There are what are referred to as "church plants" (churches starting other churches), so it is an attempt at humor I take it.

I didn't see it as humour, but as a serious point. If you think of the church as a plant (this morning at communion we had the parable of the sower, so it's at least relatable to Biblical themes), then that plant needs fertilizer (nourishment) and water (Spirit?) to grow. It's a metaphor that encourages us to ask what nourishes us in God and to seek those things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I go through the New Threads list frequently and am sometimes discouraged that threads are posted for specific denominations, rather than on forums where everyone is welcome to participate, so I thought I'd start one of those myself.

So what makes a church grow? Dancing girls? I don't think so. I think what people are looking for are church leaders who have integrity. I think integrity (obedience to the Lord) is what makes a church grow.

What do you mean by grow? Numbers, spiritual depth, conversions, baptisms?

Real spiritual growth occurs through the Holy Spirit and not because of what man does. If the Holy Spirit is in it you can have a preacher who is as boring as warm dish water and people will still join

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe I am splitting hairs, overlooking the obvious, or being nitpicky, but integrity alone is not enough. Integrity, like sincerity, may be good in and of themselves, but unless they are based on the knowledge of God and on the written Word of God they are insufficient. A person may have sincerity, but be sincerely wrong, misguided, and not right with God. A person may have integrity and not even be a Christian; they may be trusted to do what they say, speak the truth as they know it, and be fair in how they relate to people, but that would still be insufficient to follow God's
My definition of "integrity" would "obedience to the Lord's commandments."

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't see it as humour, but as a serious point. If you think of the church as a plant (this morning at communion we had the parable of the sower, so it's at least relatable to Biblical themes), then that plant needs fertilizer (nourishment) and water (Spirit?) to grow. It's a metaphor that encourages us to ask what nourishes us in God and to seek those things.
Just saying "fertilizer and water" is not an effective response, but the way you have explained it is quite good. I would remove the question mark after "Spirit".
I would also give examples of the nourishment: The Word of God, the application of the spiritual gifts of each Christian, and prayer support. Thank You for beginning a good explanation for "fertilizer and water".

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually, perhaps there is some symbolism in there. Well, anyhow, I'm wondering if you are my twin brother. We are both 64-year-old Nevadans.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you mean by grow? Numbers, spiritual depth, conversions, baptisms?

Real spiritual growth occurs through the Holy Spirit and not because of what man does. If the Holy Spirit is in it you can have a preacher who is as boring as warm dish water and people will still join
I suppose a church growing in numbers doesn't in itself prove anything, but when your church starts to shrink down to nothing, you start scratching your head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Buckeyefor Jesus

Site Supporter
May 21, 2017
Atlanta
✟26,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just saying "fertilizer and water" is not an effective response, but the way you have explained it is quite good. I would remove the question mark after "Spirit".
I would also give examples of the nourishment: The Word of God, the application of the spiritual gifts of each Christian, and prayer support. Thank You for beginning a good explanation for "fertilizer and water".
A Church grows through the belief of its "Founders" and the foundation members. You grow a Church by preaching from the Bible and only the Bible and you try to connect our current life's situations with the Bible as it was when Jesus was walking on this planet.
Growing a Church means to preach/spread the Word of God. Integrity is a minor thing when growing a Church and if you are in it for money then it is not for you.(not saying you are).
I would say Faith is the major component to building a Church. The stronger your faith the better.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
A Church grows through the belief of its "Founders" and the foundation members. You grow a Church by preaching from the Bible and only the Bible and you try to connect our current life's situations with the Bible as it was when Jesus was walking on this planet.
Growing a Church means to preach/spread the Word of God. Integrity is a minor thing when growing a Church and if you are in it for money then it is not for you.(not saying you are).
I would say Faith is the major component to building a Church. The stronger your faith the better.
Why would someone from Atlanta be a Buckeye fan?

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We need to distinguish spiritual growth from numerical growth and I will devote this post to numerical growth. From my lifelong observation of various churches and my reading of many books on church growth, 5 factors loom large for growth potential:

(1) I was raised on traditional hymns accompanied by organ and piano. Unfortunately, all 3 are passe and are culturally associated with an aging congregations. Generally speaking, traditional styles of worship are now sadly anathema to church growth.

(2) Conversely, a talented lively rhythmic praise team with guitars, drums, key board, and saxaphones can attract a lot of young people and, in the process, a lot of young couples with children and can thereby help to create a church that grows in leaps and bounds. For this reason, my parents' Baptist megachurch had a rule: no musicians and singers under 35 are allowed to serve on the praise team!

(3) As an extension of (2), churches grow when they have an active and thriving youth program with well-attended Sunday school classes.

(4) Charismatic and Pentecostal churches that prompt highly emotional worship and profound spiritual experiences, including manifestations of gifts of the Spirit, are far more likely to grow than traditional conservative churches. Modern people have a much shorter attention span than people from former generations; so it is increasingly important for churches to grip parishioners' emotions.

(5) A high view of Scripture and excellent relevant preaching do not dramatically improve church growth. But a liberal view of Scripture and mediocre preaching can make people jump out of the windows to escape church.

I wish there was a higher correlation between numerical church growth integrity, spiritual quality, and engagement with the needs of the poor, but in my experience there is not.

Upvote 0

Buckeyefor Jesus

Site Supporter
May 21, 2017
Atlanta
✟26,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would someone from Atlanta be a Buckeye fan?
Grew up in Ohio. Moved to Georgia in 1986. But will always be a Buckeye fan and follower of Jesus. Studying/working on being not just a believer but a disciple of Christ.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Grew up in Ohio. Moved to Georgia in 1986. But will always be a Buckeye fan and follower of Jesus. Studying/working on being not just a believer but a disciple of Christ.
Like I will always be a Hawkeye fan.

Upvote 0