LDS What major translation problems do LDS see in the Bible?

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"Following are selected portions of the Joseph Smith Translation of the King James Version of the Bible (JST). The Lord inspired the Prophet Joseph Smith to restore truths to the King James Bible text that had become lost or changed since the original words were written. These restored truths clarified doctrine and improved scriptural understanding.

Because the Lord revealed to Joseph certain truths that the original authors had once recorded, the Joseph Smith Translation is unlike any other Bible translation in the world. In this sense, the word translation is used in a broader and different way than usual, for Joseph’s translation was more revelation than literal translation from one language into another.

Introduction

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Following are selected portions of the Joseph Smith Translation of the King James Version of the Bible (JST). The Lord inspired the Prophet Joseph Smith to restore truths to the King James Bible text that had become lost or changed since the original words were written. These restored truths clarified doctrine and improved scriptural understanding.

Because the Lord revealed to Joseph certain truths that the original authors had once recorded, the Joseph Smith Translation is unlike any other Bible translation in the world. In this sense, the word translation is used in a broader and different way than usual, for Joseph’s translation was more revelation than literal translation from one language into another.

Introduction
Do Mormons use the JST over critical editions when publishing their own bibles?

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, all I know is that the JST is from God.

Is the JST superior to the New Testament then?

Let's take John 1.1

I'll confess that I can't take much meaning from the JST because it makes no sense to me to suggest 'in the beginning was the gospel', rather than 'In the beginning was the word.'

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Is the JST superior to the New Testament then?

Let's take John 1.1

I'll confess that I can't take much meaning from the JST because it makes no sense to me to suggest 'in the beginning was the gospel', rather than 'In the beginning was the word.'
Here are the first 19 verses of John:

(JST | John 1:1 - 19)

1. In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made which was made.
4. In him was the gospel, and the gospel was the life, and the life was the light of men;
5. And the light shineth in the world, and the world perceiveth it not.
6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7. The same came into the world for a witness, to bear witness of the light, to bear record of the gospel through the Son, unto all, that through him men might believe.
8. He was not that light, but came to bear witness of that light,
9. Which was the true light, which lighteth every man who cometh into the world;
10. Even the Son of God. He who was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God; only to them who believe on his name.
13. He was born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14. And the same word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15. John bear witness of him, and cried, saying, This is he of whom I spake; He who cometh after me, is preferred before me; for he was before me.
16. For in the beginning was the Word, even the Son, who is made flesh, and sent unto us by the will of the Father, And as many as believe on his name shall receive of his fulness. And of his fulness have all we received, even immortality and eternal life, through his grace.
17. For the law was given through Moses, but life and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18. For the law was after a carnal commandment, to the administration of death; but the gospel was after the power of an endless life, through Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father.
19. And no man hath seen God at any time, except he hath borne record of the Son; for except it is through him no man can be saved.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Introduction

I read or heard somewhere that the LDS Church does not use JST of the Bible.

Why is that?

What translations of the Bible have LDS Scholars worked on?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Why is that?

What translations of the Bible have LDS Scholars worked on?
I use the JST. It is in the footnotes of our Bible as well as larger sections found after the Bible dictionary. The rest of it is in the KJV so we can compare the two. LDS scholars worked on the KJV to include chapter headings and footnotes.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Do Mormons use the JST over critical editions when publishing their own bibles?

They use the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price, all of which non-Mormons can read online.

The Pearl of Great Price is especially interesting:
Introduction

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

It used to be not encouraged because an apostate group had possession of the original and Mormons weren't sure if they had or had not tampered with it.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Here are the first 19 verses of John:

(JST | John 1:1 - 19)

1. In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made which was made.
4. In him was the gospel, and the gospel was the life, and the life was the light of men;
5. And the light shineth in the world, and the world perceiveth it not.
6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7. The same came into the world for a witness, to bear witness of the light, to bear record of the gospel through the Son, unto all, that through him men might believe.
8. He was not that light, but came to bear witness of that light,
9. Which was the true light, which lighteth every man who cometh into the world;
10. Even the Son of God. He who was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God; only to them who believe on his name.
13. He was born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14. And the same word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15. John bear witness of him, and cried, saying, This is he of whom I spake; He who cometh after me, is preferred before me; for he was before me.
16. For in the beginning was the Word, even the Son, who is made flesh, and sent unto us by the will of the Father, And as many as believe on his name shall receive of his fulness. And of his fulness have all we received, even immortality and eternal life, through his grace.
17. For the law was given through Moses, but life and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18. For the law was after a carnal commandment, to the administration of death; but the gospel was after the power of an endless life, through Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father.
19. And no man hath seen God at any time, except he hath borne record of the Son; for except it is through him no man can be saved.

As yo0u, yourself, pointed out, the JST is not a translation but more of a "revelation". However, that revelation contradicts scripture and as such is subject to this:

Isa_8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Rev_22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev_22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Any "revelation" must conform with what is already written. The revelation is in meaning that increases the knowledge of God's word, highlights what is already written, not makes Him into some man that became a God with fathers and grandfathers.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What major translation problems do LDS see in the Bible?

Apostle James A. Talmage said, "The sectarian dogma of justification by faith alone has exercised an influence for evil" (Articles of Faith., p. 480). He also calls it a "pernicious doctrine" (Ibid., pp. 107, 480).
utlm

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 5:1
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Mormon View of the Bible:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 3
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the [Bible]book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
....................................................................................

I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.
Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:461

• Winner
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As yo0u, yourself, pointed out, the JST is not a translation but more of a "revelation". However, that revelation contradicts scripture and as such is subject to this:

Isa_8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Rev_22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev_22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Any "revelation" must conform with what is already written. The revelation is in meaning that increases the knowledge of God's word, highlights what is already written, not makes Him into some man that became a God with fathers and grandfathers.
Joseph Smith did not add to the Bible, God did.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Apostle James A. Talmage said, "The sectarian dogma of justification by faith alone has exercised an influence for evil" (Articles of Faith., p. 480). He also calls it a "pernicious doctrine" (Ibid., pp. 107, 480).
utlm

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 5:1
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Mormon View of the Bible:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 3
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the [Bible]book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
....................................................................................

I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.
Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:461
I see that you are cherry picking again, what about Romans 6?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Joseph Smith did not add to the Bible, God did.

Only according to LDS!! Not according to the guidelines God set up in His scripture to protect against this.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the [Bible]book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church,
Joseph Smith thought the Holy Church was "abominable!" Has their been a change in LDS attitude toward Christianity? They seem to suggest that Christians can be saved. Perhaps not in the highest tier of exaltation but not far behind, no? Was this description of the "abominable church" just a product of time when Protestants and Catholics referred to each other with similar adjectives while we may have more "tolerance" now?

Upvote 0