May 25, 2005
Iowa
Visit site
✟3,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been updating my family tree and just wondered what made us all interested in genealogy. I guess my interest stemmed from my dad's stories about when he grew up in the Depression era. I begged for stories of my paternal grandparents, who both died before I was born.

Anyway, I'm simply curious about other's interests. :)

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I got interested when I was quite young. My paternal grandmother has several family tree books, and I loved looking through them and discovering who I was related to. (many of my third cousins went to my school). Ever since then I've been interested, and I've started piecing together my family tree. I've discovered that 3 of my 4 grandparents are distantly related to each other! (kinda crazy) That's what happens when your family stays all in one spot!

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
My grandfather would take me to a graveyard every memorial day, and point out the graves of his grandparrents, and others. Somewhere along the line he got really interested in the family tree, and he would bring me around to libraries and town halls and such while he was getting information. Just.. grew on me I suppose. :)

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gardenia said:
My grandfather would take me to a graveyard every memorial day, and point out the graves of his grandparrents, and others. Somewhere along the line he got really interested in the family tree, and he would bring me around to libraries and town halls and such while he was getting information. Just.. grew on me I suppose. :)

That's cool! I do that with my nieces and nephews.

As for how I got started in this, it's a looooong story, but the following are the short reasons:

1) To prove a point to my dad. To look at my grandfather, my dad, and even me, most people ask if I have Native American blood. It's debated whether or not we do. I say yes. My dad says no. I love to challenge my dad and be right :)

2. To get closer to my dad. It's a way I can connect and have something to talk about with my dad. Our relationship is strained (NO, not because I like to challenge him), and he loves to talk about this stuff.

3. I'm a huge history buff.

4. It helps me get a sense of earthly identity, and to understand the "generational curses" (won't get into a debate OR discussion on this) that have plagued my family.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

njsisterinChrist

Jul 30, 2005
West Orange, Essex County NJ
✟2,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My interest started when I inherited two family bibles from my Aunt. I knew a little about my mothers side of the family. But, when I saw all the names and dated written down and that they went back to the early 1700's I was really interested in finding out what happened to them all. My search as taken me through the Holmes, Dana, Butterworth, Quigg families and then into my husbands family. It is so much fun and I now have so much information to pass down to my children and my grandchildren.
I still wish I knew more about my father's family. I never knew and he never talked much to my mother about them either.
It would be fun to see if any of us are searching the same names.
Who are you looking for?
God Bless

Upvote 0

STARINELSON

The song of the star enchants my heart
May 25, 2005
Iowa
Visit site
✟3,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
njsisterinChrist said:
My interest started when I inherited two family bibles from my Aunt. I knew a little about my mothers side of the family. But, when I saw all the names and dated written down and that they went back to the early 1700's I was really interested in finding out what happened to them all. My search as taken me through the Holmes, Dana, Butterworth, Quigg families and then into my husbands family. It is so much fun and I now have so much information to pass down to my children and my grandchildren.
I still wish I knew more about my father's family. I never knew and he never talked much to my mother about them either.
It would be fun to see if any of us are searching the same names.
Who are you looking for?
God Bless
Most of my research is southern families.Wren, Henderson, Yancey, Bragg, Wingo,Austin, Frederick & Britnell. I have been really blessed by help from other researchers. Wren and Henderson seem to be my brick walls lately. My husband is working on Nelson & Corley for right now.

Upvote 0

njsisterinChrist

Jul 30, 2005
West Orange, Essex County NJ
✟2,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm working on my husbands family too.
His is hard because his grandfather was born in France and the name Gauvain is common there and in Canada.
I have found that researchers on most of the sites are very helpful. They share links and other sources. That has been a big help to me also.

Upvote 0

STARINELSON

The song of the star enchants my heart
May 25, 2005
Iowa
Visit site
✟3,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand. One of my famiy names, Yancey, seems to have originated in the States, due to mispronounciation or whatever.The reigning theory has yet(prolly never will be) proven due to lack of paper trails at that time. Supposedly, four younger brothers from one of the ruling families of Wales, came here to America and the name changed from Nanney to Yancey. The Nanney's ( what's left of that family) all seem to agree with the story... but no one shred of evidence exists to prove that the Yanceys were indeed the Nanney brothers. But, it's a nice legend and I think I'll keep it lol .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
oh i definitely had to smile at your story! our family has a similar one----
in our family there were three brothers who immigrated from Denmark. When the first brother came over he decided to Americanize his name and so he became Mr. Johnson. the second brother came over and kept the family name of Jensen. the third brother came over and on the ship met a wonderful family by the name of Mahoney. you guessed it---when they all met up in Washington state,my father told me that the local paper carried a story of how Mr. Jensen's two brothers Mr. Johnson and Mr. Mahoney were visiting! Fortunately i have a picture of two of the brothers (Johnson and Jensen)together.

Upvote 0

karykay

Nov 19, 2013
✟8,347.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use to hear stories about people I did not know as a child. As I got older I started to ask questions now and again. And found out that I had some interesting people among my ancestors. But it is only now that I have bothered about the stories and started to do research to find out more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been updating my family tree and just wondered what made us all interested in genealogy. I guess my interest stemmed from my dad's stories about when he grew up in the Depression era. I begged for stories of my paternal grandparents, who both died before I was born.

Anyway, I'm simply curious about other's interests. :)

I had a deep yearning to know where I came from. My family has never been really big on genealogy, I guess I am the one that started it in the family, but collecting ancestors has been really hard and time-consuming.

On my father's side I traced it back to possibly Chief Eagle Plume and on my mother's side I am have really been struggling to find links that reveal my ancestors.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a very rare Sefardic surname and found it in a book about the victims of the Inquisition. While what my ancestors endured was painful and shameful, I learned through research that they accomplished quite a lot over the centuries. Hopefully, some day I will get the full picture of the family history.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was a boy I would listen to my great-grandmother tells stories about growing up in the mountains, and about her parents, grandparents, and even older family stories. My great-grandmother was born in 1881. She went home to be with the Father when she was 101 year old.

Upvote 0

Jacob Jilg

Feb 19, 2015
Nebraska
✟8,016.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm seriously considering signing up for an ancestry site, because my grandma on my mom's side says her family goes back to the guys from Kellogg's. And on my dad's side he has a grandmother last name Nitsche and there is a rumor that she is an American descendant of Nietzsche, so I want to play some myth-bust or confirm about my family tree and also learn interesting things among the way. I'm weary of heritage pay sites though, because I have a suspicion they just Google the same info I can Google.

Upvote 0