✟27,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys and gals!

I made a video on the primary fulfillment of Mosaic law. I’d love your thoughts and input! God bless you!

How Did Jesus Full The Law? What Did Jesus Fulfill?

Attachments

• B145AD5D-7098-4037-82FE-6E38C3BE665A.jpeg
    B145AD5D-7098-4037-82FE-6E38C3BE665A.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 9

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched the first 2 min and that was a waste of time. I did not see where I should give anymore time to try to figure out what the video is talking about. If you want to know about the Law of Moses then read the 119 Psalm. David does a very good job of explaining the law and how God's law was given for our benefit. Everything God does is for our well being. He wants the best for us. "For everything that is written from ancient times is written for our teaching, that by patience and by comfort of the Scriptures we should have hope." Romans 15:4

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fulfilling the law is to not break it. Ever, even as a child. The whole Law. Jesus, because He is divine in nature, would by nature fulfill the Law.Not a Law He had to learn to obey but a law He would naturally obey. It was written on His heart. When Paul speaks of Gentiles without the law but obey it without being under it. He say's they are 'a' law unto themselves. For Jesus, He would be 'the' Law unto Himself. Jesus naturally fulfilled the Law because Jesus is the Law maker. He is the ruler that every person is measured by.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question: "What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?"

Answer:
In Matthew’s record of what is commonly called the Sermon on the Mount, these words of Jesus are recorded: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished” (Matthew 5:17-18).

It is frequently argued that if Jesus did not “abolish” the law, then it must still be binding. Accordingly, such components as the Sabbath-day requirement must be operative still, along with perhaps numerous other elements of the Mosaic Law. This assumption is grounded in a misunderstanding of the words and intent of this passage. Christ did not suggest here that the binding nature of the law of Moses would remain forever in effect. Such a view would contradict everything we learn from the balance of the New Testament (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

Of special significance in this study is the word rendered “abolish.” It translates the Greek term kataluo, literally meaning “to loosen down.” The word is found seventeen times in the New Testament. It is used, for example, of the destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans (Matthew 26:61; 27:40; Acts 6:14), and of the dissolving of the human body at death (2 Corinthians 5:1). The term can carry the extended meaning of “to overthrow,” i.e., “to render vain, deprive of success.” In classical Greek, it was used in connection with institutions, laws, etc., to convey the idea of “to invalidate.”

It is especially important to note how the word is used in Matthew 5:17. In this context, “abolish” is set in opposition to “fulfill.” Christ came “...not to abolish, but to fulfill.” Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law’s prophetic utterances regarding Himself (Luke 24:44). Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law, which called for perfect obedience under threat of a “curse” (see Galatians 3:10, 13). In this sense, the law’s divine design will ever have an abiding effect. It will always accomplish the purpose for which it was given.

If, however, the law of Moses bears the same relationship to men today, in terms of its binding status, then it was not fulfilled, and Jesus failed at what He came to do. On the other hand, if the Lord did accomplish His goal, then the law was fulfilled, and it is not a binding legal institution today. Further, if the law of Moses was not fulfilled by Christ—and thus remains as a binding legal system for today—then it is not just partially binding. Rather, it is a totally compelling system. Jesus plainly said that not one “jot or tittle” (representative of the smallest markings of the Hebrew script) would pass away until all was fulfilled. Consequently, nothing of the law was to fail until it had completely accomplished its purpose. Jesus fulfilled the law. Jesus fulfilled all of the law. We cannot say that Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial system, but did not fulfill the other aspects of the law. Jesus either fulfilled all of the law, or none of it. What Jesus' death means for the sacrificial system, it also means for the other aspects of the law. - What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey guys and gals!

I made a video on the primary fulfillment of Mosaic law. I’d love your thoughts and input! God bless you!

Awesome thread BTW. Great questions. So much to unpack here. Well, I'll start with the Covenant of works with the first Adam. God made a Covenant of Works (Mosaic Law) Adam. With Stipulations of perfect obedience, and Sanctions of fulfilling this Covenant of works with Eternal Life or with condemnation & death for breaching this Covenant of Works. Well we know the story that Adam failed to keep this Covenant with God through Perfect Obedience and was cast out of the Garden temple because he broke this Covenant with God.

So now, because of this breach, we all in the first Adam were convicted and condemned Law breakers, and sentenced to death row. Waiting upon walking the green mile per se. The Mosaic Law is now a curse for the fallen, because it only brings knowledge of sin before God. And is only a ministry of death to us. In other words, there is no hope for us in the Mosaic Law for sinners, only death!

Scripture for the first Adam scandal:

Death in Adam, Life in Christ

12Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— 13for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

15But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. 16And the free gift is not like the result of that one man’s sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. 17For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.

18Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. 19For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous. 20Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now, God who is rich in Mercy, made a second Covenant; called the Covenant of Grace. Where God promises: I will do. The Gospel that saves the wicked. Christ signed His own death warrant and came down into time & history in the flesh, born under the Law to fulfill the broken Covenant of works for us; this is called the Covenant of Grace. Christ came not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it.

Jesus said, Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill, (Matt. 5:17). So, first we can see that Jesus did not come to get rid the Law or make it invalid. Instead, he came to fulfill the true meaning and purpose of what the Law was about.

Secondly Christ was born in the flesh to kill sin in the flesh, so that we could receive the righteousness of Christ; a double imputation of our sins to Christ who knew no sin, and Christ's righteousness to sinners! This is the good news which is free, not earned by us Because it was already earned by another; this is called the Covenant of Grace. This goes back to God's promise to Adam & Eve, and Abraham that God Promises to do himself, because we cannot do it our ourselves.

More Scripture to support it:

Life in the Spirit

1There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.2For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. 8Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 10But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Sorry I got carried away. Justification of the sinners is a obsession with me. I love it because it demonstrates how much God really loves us, while we are still SINNERS! Praise be to God Alone, to him be the Glory forever!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys and gals!

Well, I am in a place where I cannot watch the video at the moment.

As for my thoughts on the topic:

The Law Has Changed:

The Mosaic Law (as a whole package deal) no longer exists. It became obsolete with Christ's death. It is obvious the Old Law does not still exist because various commands in the New Testament have changed what the Old Law says. For example: Paul says that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. Jesus says to us that we are no longer to render an eye for an eye but we are to turn the other cheek. When Jesus died upon the cross, the temple veil was torn letting us know that the laws on the priesthood and the animal sacrifices were no longer valid anymore. Jesus is our Heavenly High Priest and He is our Passover Lamb. Paul says we are no longer to judge according to Sabbaths and holy days. Peter was told to eat unclean animals (Which is a violation of OT Law).

However, that does not mean God does not have other laws (or commands) for us today. In fact, one must understand that God has "Eternal Moral Laws" for man since after his "fall" in the Garden. After the "fall": It was always wrong to murder, commit adultery, sleep with one's parents, get drunk, hate your brother, covet, lie, commit idolatry, etc. These Moral laws existed before the written Law and they still exist today. The written Law of Moses merely repeated them or emphasized them. But in addition to these moral laws, there were laws (within the Old Law) that were exclusive to the nation of Israel. These are ceremonial laws (like the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, the dietary laws, animal sacrifices involving a priesthood) and civil laws (like on how to manage farming etc.) and judicial laws (like regulating legal matters). There were a total of 613 Commands in the Old Testament Law of Moses. Some of these Laws are God's Eternal Moral Laws; Others are exclusively for Israel and do not apply to us. Believers today are under the New Testament (i.e. the New Covenant) with new laws (Which would include God's Eternal Moral Laws). Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed (along with the change of the priesthood).

Jesus did not come to abrogate God's Eternal Moral Laws (like do not murder, do not hate, do not commit adultery, do not steal, etc.). Jesus nailed to the cross those ordinances that were against us (like the Saturday Sabbath, the death penalty for disobeying God's laws, circumcision, the dietary laws, etc.) (See Colossians 2:14-17). Jesus says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17). So Jesus did not come to destroy all Law and it's consequences but He came to fulfill them into their true intended purpose with the commands given to us within the New Testament. These commands are based on love. Love God and love your neighbor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please note these words from Jesus Christ ...

I have not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it.

No part of the Old Testament has disappeared, nor should it. You are doing God a great disservice if you are ignoring the Old Testament.

So if Christians are in Christ, the requirements of the law have been fulfilled in us.

The second part of your post switches from the Law to the Old Testament. You are no doubt aware that the law is only a part of the Old Testament. The other parts are the history, poetry and wisdom, the major prophets and the minor prophets.

The Christian Bible is composed of both the Old and New Testaments, which describe the Old and New Covenants.

So what is your point?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please note these words from Jesus Christ ...

I have not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it.

No part of the Old Testament has disappeared, nor should it. You are doing God a great disservice if you are ignoring the Old Testament.

So you believe we must still be circumcised?
Paul said if you seek to be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2).
God told Peter to eat unclean animals (Acts of the Apostles 10:13-14). Yes, this was in reference to the Gentiles, but it also was in reference to God saying that we can eat anything now (Which is confirmed by Paul - 1 Timothy 4:3-5).
You believe we must seek to build a temple one day so as to reinstitute the animal sacrifices?
Do you not know that Jesus is our Passover Lamb who forever takes away our sin and that the animal sacrifces merely point to Christ? Do you not know that the temple veil was torn from top to bottom ending the Law on animal sacrifices (Matthew 27:51).

Scripture says that the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12).

Side Note:

When Jesus said He came not to abolish the Law, He was talking about how He did not come to abrogate all of God's laws. Jesus came to fulfill the Law into it's true intended purpose or goal by giving us the Laws of the New Testament. In Summary: One can start on this New Covenant path of obedience to the Lord by loving God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength, and loving their neighbor as themselves.

Paul says if you seek to be justified by the Law (i.e. the Old Law), you have fallen from grace. That is why Paul condemned things like circumcision (Galatians 5:2).

Also, please take note that we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (Which then must lead to having good works or good fruit within our lives that is not an option). We must live holy in this life if we plan to see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys and gals!

Okay. I watched the video.

The 613 Laws of Moses in the Old Testament was a part of faith under the Old Covenant.

When the Old Testament saint had sacrificed animals, He had to revisit those same sins year after year with animal sacrifices. After Christ died upon the cross for man's sins, we do not need to keep revisiting the same past sins over and over. The animal sacrifices were only a temporary covering of past sin (Whereby you had to keep revisiting those old sins over and over again). With Jesus (if we accepted Him as our Savior and believe in His death and resurrection), He takes away our past sins for good. However, if we sin again after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins (Hebrews 10:26). But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). So Jesus does not automatically cover future sin as you imply in your video, friend.

1 John 1:7 makes it very clear that we have to walk in the light as He [Christ] is in the light so that the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

Compare 1 John 1:6-7 with 1 John 2:3-4.
1 John 2: 4 says he that says he knows Him (Christ) and does not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him.
Keeping God's commandments is in reference to light.

"For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:" (Proverbs 6:23).

We have to walk in the light in order to have the blood continually applied.

For he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy (Proverbs 28:13);
And Christ is the author of eternal salvation unto all who obey Him (Hebrews 5:9).

Anyways, may God's love shine upon you today.

Side Note:

We also have to obey certain Laws of God as believers today. If not, things will not go well for us (See Matthew 5:22, Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Galatians 5:19-21, 1 John 3:15, Revelation 21:8). However, the commands we follow are primarily the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers. The Old Law given to Moses was for the people of Israel. So we do not look to the Old Testament so as to obey God. We are under a New Testament (New Covenant) with New Commands. So we look within the pages of the New Testament primarily to obey God. Things like the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, the dietary laws, and the laws on farming, etc. do not apply to the New Covenant believer in Jesus Christ. But this does not mean we are not to love our neighbor (Which is a fulfillment of the Moral Law like: Do not murder, do not covet, do not lie, do not steal, etc.). God's laws still exist today. Yes, we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace, but God's grace is not a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey guys and gals!

'Fulfill' is a Jewish idiom which means 'to do.' Here are several examples taken from Jewish literature. The earliest is from the Misnah:

Midrash
Midrash Rabbah - Exodus 30:22

22. Another explanation of NOW THESE ARE THE ORDINANCES. Both the heathen and Israel have judges, and you do not know what difference there is between both. It can be compared to a sick man whose doctor paid him a visit and then said to the family: ' Give him to eat whatever he wants.' When he came to the other, he left word: ' Take care not to let him eat that and that thing.' When he was asked, `The first, thou didst allow to eat whatever he wishes, and the second, thou didst forbid certain things,' his reply was: `The first has no chance of recovering; for this reason did I allow him to eat what he fancies; but the second will yet live and therefore did I command strict caution in his diet.' Similarly the heathen have judges, but neither study the Torah nor fulfil it, as it says, Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and ordinances whereby they should not live (Ezek.XX, 25),1 but with regard to the commandments it says, Which if a man do, he shall live by them (Lev. XVIII, 5).

Exodus Rabbah 40:1

R. Hoshaya said: Anyone who has knowledge but lacks the fear of sin, really has nothing, just as a carpenter who has no tools with him is not a real carpenter; because the bolts which guard learning are the fear of sin, as it says, And the fear of the Lord is its treasure-house (Isa. XXXIII, 6). R. Johanan said: If one knows the Torah but does not fulfil it, it were better for him that he had not been born,

Numbers Rabbah 3:12

He was called Kohath for this reason: You read: If the iron be blunt (Eccl. X, 10), which means, if you perceive that the heavens have become `blunt' and refuse to send down rain, having become like iron- as you read: 'And I will make your heaven as iron'-be assured that it is as a punishment for the non-observance of the Torah; for it is written, And one do not whet the edge (ib.), that is, because they did not fulfil the commandments of the Torah which was given to them by God face to face-as you read, The Lord spoke with you face to face, etc. (Deut. V, 4)

Numbers Rabbah 11:1
The wise shall inherit honour (Prov. III, 35) applies to Israel who are called wise when they fulfil the Torah and the commandments; as it says, Observe therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding, etc. (Deut. IV, 6)

Deuteronomy Rabbah 1:21

The Rabbis say: Moses declared before God: `Master of the Universe, just because the Gentiles have not been commanded to observe the Sabbath, wilt Thou show favour to them if they do observe it?' God replied to him: ' Do you really fear this? By your life, even if they fulfil all the commandments in the Torah, yet will I cause them to fall before you.' Whence this? Because the text says, BEHOLD, I HAVE BEGUN TO DELIVER UP BEFORE THEE.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 7:4

TO OBSERVE TO DO ALL HIS COMMANDMENTS (XXVIII, 1). R. Simeon b. Halafta said: If one learns the words of the Torah and does not fulfil them, his punishment is more severe than that of him who has not learnt at all.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 11:6

Halachah: When a Jew goes up to read the Law, he is not permitted to commence reading it before he has recited the blessings. First he must recite the blessings and then he reads. And thus Moses, when he had the privilege of receiving the Torah, first recited a blessing, and then he read it. R. Eleazar asked: What was the blessing which Moses recited before reading it? [It was], Blessed art Thou, O Lord, King of the Universe, who hast chosen this law and sanctified it and hast found pleasure in them who fulfil it. He did not say, ' in them that labour at it,' nor, ' in them who meditate in it,' but, ' in them that fulfil it,' that is to say, in them who carry out the words of the Torah.

Numbers Rabbah 10:8

For thus have the Sages said: Keep away from a small sin lest it lead you to a grievous one; run to fulfil a small commandment, for it will lead you to an important one.

Talmud
Chagigah 4b

Samuel went and brought Moses with him, Saying to him: Perhaps, Heaven forfend,21 I am summoned to Judgment: arise with me,22 for there is nothing that thou hast written in the Torah, which I did not fulfil.

Arachin 22a

R. Papa said: The paying of a debt is a commandment and [minor] orphans are not obliged to fulfil the commandment.

Mishnah

AVOT 4:9

R. JONATHAN SAID: WHOEVER FULFILS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY, HIS END [WILL BE] TO FULFIL IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH; AND WHOEVER DISCARDS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH, HIS END [WILL BE] TO DISCARD IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY.

Some people use the word 'fulfill' to mean 'finish.' This is not the meaning from within a Jewish religious context about the Torah.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys and gals!

Very good and entertaining. Keeps one's attention. One thing I noticed which may need some tweaking is, how do you know how Joseph Mengele lived his life in Brazil? Did he repent and turn to Jesus or not? I don't know the answer but I'm not going to pass judgment on someone I don't know.

Upvote 0