What kind of faith do I have?

Joe Vaghn

Nov 26, 2015
✟8,384.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So let's see, if I were to describe my faith, it'd be something like this.

1 - I believe in God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and the angels and demons, yet I believe in other paranormal entities can exist.

2 - I believe the power of the prophets was the power of God threw them, but I also believe God has not made us cardinal meat bags, powerless. I believe the "Image of God" said in Genesis means, this: Just like on a computer with an .img file, it has all the data and what not. I believe that God has given us all great power and strength, not just threw Christ, yes I believe in the with Christ all things are possible passages, but I do not believe we are powerless without him. I believe God made us not weak, but strong.

3 - I believe in the flood, and Noah and everything about it.

4 - I believe we are saved by grace, not by works. But the fascinating thing is, I believe good or evil works can not make God's grace smaller. I believe that if you stay loyal to God, but you try not to do evil as much as you can, but say there are times when you can take advantage of evil to flip it around for good. Yeah those kind of moments, I believe it was no impact. You can still be forgiven, and graced.

5 - I believe in the powers of magic. I believe you can use evil as a tool.

6 - I believe you do not need to go to church, and personally i dislike church. I'm very introverted, so many it's just me, but I much rather prefer to watch the sunset and pray or something of that nature. <- nature. I love being out in and about and maybe talk or pray to God rather than be in church singing or talking to people. Again it's probably just me, but I think "church" is more of a private thing so is worshiping. I don't like doing it with people. I rather do it along with just me and Him if I do it.

6 - I do not believe it's bad to do witchcraft, I believe it's not a good choice to do sorcery. I believe and know it's a big miss translation. It was SUPPOSED to be prisoner, not witch.

7 - I do not believe it's wrong to kill. I believe murder is wrong. I have no problems with defending anyone or myself if it means life or death and I will not hesitate to wipe a person out if it gets that dire. IF the time came. I don't wish ill upon anyone, but I would not mind getting my hands dirty if it HAD to happen.

8 - I do not believe in the rapture, but I believe in Armaggedon. I believe it in a literal since but not that insane.

9 - I do not believe in baptism literally, but rather I believe in baptism is simply changing ways, "A fresh start" if you will.

What would you think my belief is? I have no idea what I believe at all. I know it's a form of Christianity, but Idk what kind it could be...

thanks for input!

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 - I believe in God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and the angels and demons, yet I believe in other paranormal entities can exist.

2 - I believe the power of the prophets was the power of God threw them, but I also believe God has not made us cardinal meat bags, powerless. I believe the "Image of God" said in Genesis means, this: Just like on a computer with an .img file, it has all the data and what not. I believe that God has given us all great power and strength, not just threw Christ, yes I believe in the with Christ all things are possible passages, but I do not believe we are powerless without him. I believe God made us not weak, but strong.

4 - I believe we are saved by grace, not by works. But the fascinating thing is, I believe good or evil works can not make God's grace smaller. I believe that if you stay loyal to God, but you try not to do evil as much as you can, but say there are times when you can take advantage of evil to flip it around for good. Yeah those kind of moments, I believe it was no impact. You can still be forgiven, and graced.

6 - I believe you do not need to go to church, and personally i dislike church. I'm very introverted, so many it's just me, but I much rather prefer to watch the sunset and pray or something of that nature. <- nature. I love being out in and about and maybe talk or pray to God rather than be in church singing or talking to people. Again it's probably just me, but I think "church" is more of a private thing so is worshiping. I don't like doing it with people. I rather do it along with just me and Him if I do it.

6 - I do not believe it's bad to do witchcraft, I believe it's not a good choice to do sorcery. I believe and know it's a big miss translation. It was SUPPOSED to be prisoner, not witch.

7 - I do not believe it's wrong to kill. I believe murder is wrong. I have no problems with defending anyone or myself if it means life or death and I will not hesitate to wipe a person out if it gets that dire. IF the time came. I don't wish ill upon anyone, but I would not mind getting my hands dirty if it HAD to happen.

8 - I do not believe in the rapture, but I believe in Armaggedon. I believe it in a literal since but not that insane.

9 - I do not believe in baptism literally, but rather I believe in baptism is simply changing ways, "A fresh start" if you will.

What would you think my belief is? I have no idea what I believe at all. I know it's a form of Christianity, but Idk what kind it could be...

thanks for input!

Personally I disdain labels; but if you put the label-maker in my hand, closed your eyes and cried "Just do it!" I probably click-click-click O-T-H-E-R. And I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Most mainline Christians - me among them - would agree with you about the first clause and have some reservations about the second. I suggest the 'other paranormal entities' are mostly demons in some form of disguise. So they are 'paranormal entities' pretending to be other than their exact nature.

Joe Vaghn said:
Again, most agree prophets had 'power', but from God, not themselves. I think most would agree humans probably have more 'power' than commonly thought, but it is God's power through us that is important.

So probably this entire statement would be considered 'extreme'.

Joe Vaghn said:
That's not going to get much argument. I disagree with the perceived dating of the Flood, which puts me in a minority to some degree, but I think many Christians have never seriously considered the matter; tending to gloss it over.

Joe Vaghn said:
No difficulty there. Pretty mainstream. Except there are those who believe 'works' are needed to 'keep' salvation on a functional level. (But that's a whole different story.)

Joe Vaghn said:
The word 'magic' would probably cause a serious reaction in most Christians. Generally, Christians consider 'magic' to be relying on Satan's power to do 'things'. Worded in another fashion, any power or authority not directly from God is of Satan (magic). This excludes idiomatic phrases like 'the magic of television' and such.
Christians generally do not agree with the idea of using 'evil' as a tool. However, I'm understanding this as doing something innately opposed to God's will or by power not of God in order to help God's kingdom. However, if you mean seeing an 'evil' situation and working with God to make it 'right', then yes.

Joe Vaghn said:
6 - I believe you do not need to go to church...
This is sounding like an outlier. As a group, Christians believe communal worship import in many ways. The individual Christian needs to be with other Christians to learn and to worship in concert with other Christians.
Joe Vaghn said:
...and personally i dislike church.
Probably many agree with that, but won't admit it out loud.
Joe Vaghn said:
I'm very introverted, so many it's just me...
I quite understand. I'm rather private in many ways.
Joe Vaghn said:
... but I much rather prefer to watch the sunset and pray or something of that nature. <- nature. I love being out in and about and maybe talk or pray to God rather than be in church singing or talking to people.
This isn't 'bad', but there is a danger here. In community with other Christians, one hears views other than one's own. In the Grace of God, this often keeps one (like me) from getting too 'isolated' in one's thinking. Satan can and does use this 'isolation' to inculcate and encourage all many of 'odd' and potentially heretical ideas. This ultimately leads to a Christian who is indeed saved, but powerless and useless to further the Kingdom of God. Usually without the individual from realizing it.
Joe Vaghn said:
Again it's probably just me, but I think "church" is more of a private thing so is worshiping. I don't like doing it with people. I rather do it along with just me and Him if I do it.
Being an introvert can do that. As mentioned, being isolated is the first step toward 'uselessness'. Do be careful with this. Besides, it's good to stretch one's limits.

Joe Vaghn said:
6 - I do not believe it's bad to do witchcraft, I believe it's not a good choice to do sorcery.
Most Christians see witchcraft and sorcery as the same thing. Both are associated with Satan and are not to be approached for use.
Joe Vaghn said:
I believe and know it's a big miss translation. It was SUPPOSED to be prisoner, not witch.
I think you are referring to Exodus 22:18 "You must not allow a sorceress to live." If so, that word in Hebrew translated 'witch' is the Hebrew word כָּשַׁף - kashaph - and means either a person who practices sorcery or the act of practicing sorcery. This did (does?) include the use of plants and herbs in the rituals - perhaps hallucinogens - which can lead to the idea of 'poisoner' or such. But that is not a mistranslation.

Joe Vaghn said:
7 - I do not believe it's wrong to kill. I believe murder is wrong. I have no problems with defending anyone or myself if it means life or death...
There are many good Christians who reject any form of violence, especially 'killing'. However, you are correct; the Commandment (Exodus 20:13) refers to what we call murder, not simple homicide. Part of the confusion derives from the Hebrew word רָצַח - ratsach - which means usually means 'murder' but includes accidental homicide as well. However, the context of the word in the commandment, compared to the various places God commands His people to 'kill' either criminals or enemies make it clear the commandment pertains to killing from a motive of personal gain, either financial or 'satisfaction'. In following Mosaic Law, accidental killing is noted and excluded from this commandment.

Joe Vaghn said:
8 - I do not believe in the rapture, but I believe in Armaggedon.
This matter is so divided, I personally don't think it matters much.

The 'rapture' is considered in a couple ways. Each faction holds their own view. I don't think 'my belief' in the matter makes any difference.

The Lord will return and collect His own. In exactly what manner, and when are bits of information I do not have. Nor am I concerned particularly; God is NOT waiting for me (or you) to figure it out prior to pressing the button. A final battle? I'm not sure if that prediction is literal, in that a literal battle on Earth will happen, or if it is figurative and refers to a metaphoric battle of dealing with human souls.

It will happen how and when God decides. My (your) only job is be where God wants me to be, doing what God wants me to be doing. Which may include either preaching to orphans in Uganda or fixing cars in Cedar Rapids.

Joe Vaghn said:
That's an interesting insight; do not lose it.

Baptism is adopted from Greek, comes from the fabric dyer's trade and means 'immersed' to the point of being soaked. In order to change raw fabric to the color (usually purple in those days), one must push the fabric under the surface of the dye solution and keep it there, letting the dye soak into the fabric. So it is a physical process (originally).

Of course, we don't keep people down very long.

Then, Mark 1:18 quotes John the Baptizer saying (speaking of the Messiah, Jesus , to come) "... I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." How does one 'baptize' physically with Spirit? This has to be a figurative use, meaning Jesus' followers will be 'soaked' in the Holy Spirit, which makes sense in a 'figurative' meaning.

However, most Christians (and me) hold water baptism to be a command of the Lord, and is to be done as both a public show of what one believes and values, and as an act of obedience to God. (But being baptized more than once doesn't make one any holier.)

Joe Vaghn said:
What would you think my belief is?
Based on what you write here, I understand you are a Christian, with a couple 'odd' ideas. None of those 'odd' ideas disqualify you as a Christian, in my understanding. I would be careful and re-evaluate at least one of those to protect yourself from exposure to greater problems later.

Joe Vaghn said:
I have no idea what I believe at all. I know it's a form of Christianity, but Idk what kind it could be...
I'm not sure to which church (congregation or denomination) I would direct you. You'd be welcome at my church (Berean Fellowship), but probably get some strange looks if you starting talking about 'magic'.

I would not suggest any of the more 'orthodox' groups, ONLY because they tend to sit closer together and that probably would not appeal to your introversion, and their services seem a bit more formal and 'staged' (without meaning anything wrong). Baptists and the like tend to spread out a bit more and tend to seem a bit more 'loose' (again, not meaning anything wrong). Both teach valid understandings of the Lord's teaching.

Other than an odd idea or two (which has been mentioned of me in casual conversation), you seem to be okay to me.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
The first Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
The Bible tells us: Stop being selfish, start loving and caring, be kind and considerate. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: "ask and receive, ask for Love then thank God and share all love and joy with all we know and all we meet. Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. To follow Jesus is what God wants from us, Jesus that we might live.
I say this with love, BirdsFlying. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0