East Coast
✟8,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The link I have here is the only information that I found regarding their beliefs, and I had to search for it. Is this an example of non-denominational? I found this church from the Joel Osteen website. I'm aware of the prosperity doctrine, and I disagree with that, but I don't know if this church believes in that. It does however look like a good place to meet people, with very friendly people and many events planned. Also their sermons are very uplifting like Osteens.

Any thoughts? Is there anything else to be cautious of besides the prosperity doctrine? Thank you.

What We Believe

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Question: "What is the gift of speaking in tongues?"
Answer:
The first occurrence of speaking in tongues occurred on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4. The apostles went out and shared the gospel with the crowds, speaking to them in their own languages: “We hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” (Acts 2:11). The Greek word translated tongues literally means “languages.” Therefore, the gift of tongues is speaking in a language a person does not know in order to minister to someone who does speak that language. In 1 Corinthians chapters 12–14, Paul discusses miraculous gifts, saying, “Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?” (1 Corinthians 14:6). According to the apostle Paul, and in agreement with the tongues described in Acts, speaking in tongues is valuable to the one hearing God’s message in his or her own language, but it is useless to everyone else unless it is interpreted/translated.

More at this link

• Agree
Reactions: Tony B
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I call myself non denominational because I accept many beliefs doctrines as in Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Nazirene, etc I have spent time in these churches and like what they all had to say on most things. So how do I choose? That is why I label myself that. That doesn't mean that is the official meaning just mine.:O)
Since though, I have been discouraged with two of them and have dropped them from my choices.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Any thoughts? Is there anything else to be cautious of besides the prosperity doctrine? Thank you.

What We Believe
The statement of beliefs describes an apparently non-denominational congregation which is, however, Pentecostal and holds to a view of Baptism that is characteristic of any Baptist church (which is not unusual as Pentecostal congregations go). Otherwise, there is nothing remarkable about the statement.

Reactions: GreenSquirrel
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The link I have here is the only information that I found regarding their beliefs, and I had to search for it. Is this an example of non-denominational? I found this church from the Joel Osteen website. I'm aware of the prosperity doctrine, and I disagree with that, but I don't know if this church believes in that. It does however look like a good place to meet people, with very friendly people and many events planned. Also their sermons are very uplifting like Osteens.

What We Believe

olsteen.jpeg

"but I don't know if this church believes in that"

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...I know that Osteen believes in the prosperity belief, I don't know if the church I asked about does. What is your point here?

church - define church? Church that Olsteen is pastor of? I didn't see a specific church name given only in reference to Olsteen ... so was assuming you were referencing the Lakewood Church of which he is the pastor of.

Here's some info

Lakewood Church - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreenSquirrel

Oct 9, 2018
East Coast
✟8,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
church - define church? Church that Olsteen is pastor of? I didn't see a specific church name given only in reference to Olsteen ... so was assuming you were referencing the Lakewood Church of which he is the pastor of.

Here's some info

Lakewood Church - Wikipedia
Read my original post, there is a link provided. That is the church that I was asking about. Other people have answered my question though. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I ask how you fingered that out? And what gives it away as Pentecostal?
I just google searched the church name and address and it came up on the AOG website, the link actually goes to the AOG page for the church in question. It is fairly common for AOG churches to try this approach, there are two large AOG churches near me that do the same thing.

Reactions: GreenSquirrel
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I just google searched the church name and address and it came up on the AOG website, the link actually goes to the AOG page for the church in question. It is fairly common for AOG churches to try this approach, there are two large AOG churches near me that do the same thing.
I hate it when churches do that. It seems so dishonest to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate it when churches do that. It seems so dishonest to me.

I agree, but it is increasingly common. There are several Baptist, AOG, and Methodist churches here that do the same.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree, but it is increasingly common. There are several Baptist, AOG, and Methodist churches here that do the same.
There is a new Missouri Synod mission in the town I work in, but you have to search around on their site to realize it. But I hate it. Part of the reason of being part of a denomination is the sense of identity it gives you.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what that tells you is that they are “affiliated” with the denomination but they aren’t strict in their actual practice of denomination specific doctrine, confessions, or the like...

Many Church Councils have started trying to separate “Central doctrine” such as “Salvation through faith in Jesus alone” from “Non-essential denominational doctrine” such as prohibitions against alcohol use, women serving in church positions, or certain worship practices... Those churches are given leeway in the non-essential matters.

And so hypothetically when you say “Well, I don’t like those guys because they say I will be damned to hell for drinking a beer” - it’s not regarded as a central denomination position like it may have been 50 years ago, so many affiliated churches hold no specific position on it....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can I ask how you fingered that out? And what gives it away as Pentecostal?
I don't doubt that Tampasteve is correct about the identity of that congregation, but the fact that it is a Pentecostal church of some sort is evident from the statement of beliefs we were given in the beginning, in the OP’s link.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0