What kind of Confession does your church embrace?

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FivePointCalvinist said:
ECT constitutes nothing less than apostasy on the part of evangelicals who are willing to abandon the reformational recovery of the Gospel.

Amen. I couldn't believe that JI Packer signed that. Big disappointment. How many protestants died during the Reformation (due to martyrdom) for the very beliefs that the ECT now compromises?

Upvote 0

FivePointCalvinist

Sep 20, 2005
Port Moody, BC
✟15,388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
FivePointCalvinist said:
J.I. Packer signed the ECT statement?

Where is this statement?
Whoa..I found it.

I feel sick. J.I. Packer goes to my church and until just a few minutes ago, I respected him as a pretty incredible man of God.

Not if he commits this kind of blasphemy, though.

Upvote 0

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Announced at a press conference on 3/29/94 was an ecumenical declaration titled "Evangelicals and Catholics Together: The Christian Mission in the Third Millennium" (ECT)

That was my question, too, PuritanLady. I did a google on Packer and came across this paragraph. Now, I'm off to google Evangelicals and Catholics Together.

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The ECT was the Evangelicals and Catholics Together document that many evangelical and Roman Catholic leaders. This might be helpful too-http://www.leaderu.com/ect/ect3.html-since it tells of a meeting since the signing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Foundthelight said:
R. C. Sproul has written at least two books blasting the ECT statement.

Getting the Gospel Right and Faith Alone.

I strongly recommend them.

I have read Faith Alone and also recommend it. Sproul's writing has helped a great deal in steering me away from the dangers of modern evangelical thought while I was yet a baby Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
The book, Getting the Gospel Right by R.C. Sproul is from reports a great book on explaining the dangers and objections to the ECT. I just ordered one from Amazon, used for $2.44 and am most anxious to read it and know all the fine points of this issue! I was glad to read all the above post on this and have never really learned too much about it!

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
J.C. Ryle was a most favorite Anglican author of mine! His book 'Holiness' is just superb and his 'Warnings to the Churches' you'd think was written today!!
We did a study of John Bunyan's book, Prayer, which is his refuting of the Book of Common Prayer, or any kind of "form" prayer for that matter!
Our church holds to the LBC. We are reformed baptist and just last week changed our name to Founders Baptist to clarify who we are!
Blessings on your day today!

Upvote 0