LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
I thought we could do a little experiment with "kinds". First though, we need a good working definition of "kind". Could a YEC that believes there are barriers within kinds that cannot be crossed please provide your best definition of how an animal is classifed? Is it by appearance, mating, other characteristics?

judy

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well let's see. On Noah's ark, all the kinds must have been represented. So I imagine there is the "kitty cat" kind, the "horsey" kind, the "doggy" kind and the "birdy" kind.

Maybe the "icky scaley" kind and the "bug" kind too.

From these, all the species we know today evolved by micro-evolution!

It's really very simply, ladyshea.

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
I started playing this game with Follower of Christ with this picture

rep04.jpg

And he guessed "Snake kind". Since this is a species of legless Lizard and not a snake, I was hoping a creationist could tell me what makes one animal a "snake kind" and one animal a "lizard kind" and what do we do with animals that seem to have characteristics of two different kinds?

I have several more examples of these "what the heck is that" animals and I think this could be an interesting demonstration for both sides.

And Judy...ROTFL...that sounds like my 4 yr old niece playing with her Noah's Ark bathtub toys

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'd like to present a picture I made up for a discussion of "macroevolution" versus "microevolution" awhile back:

http://www.animecritic.com/_temp/cats.jpg

It's picture of 9 different members of the Felidae (cat) family. They're all separate species showing incredible diversity, but are all "cats" in the sense that they share a number of "cat" characteristics.

So, would all of these animals be of the same "kind"? If so, what characteristics do they possess that separates them from other members of the order Carnivora (other carnivores like dogs, etc). And, if not, how does one determine which characteristics define them as separate "kinds"?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
The third one in the top row looks like god was trying to mix bat and cat together. ;) :D

1st April 2003 at 04:03 PM Pete Harcoff said this in Post #8

I'd like to present a picture I made up for a discussion of "macroevolution" versus "microevolution" awhile back:

http://www.animecritic.com/_temp/cats.jpg

It's picture of 9 different members of the Felidae (cat) family. They're all separate species showing incredible diversity, but are all "cats" in the sense that they share a number of characteristics.

So, would all of these animals be of the same "kind"? If so, what characteristics do they possess that separates them from other members of the order Carnivora (other carnivores like dogs, etc). And, if not, how does one determine which characteristics define them as a separate "kinds"?

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Pete, what's the one in the bottom row middle?

Here's another interesting critter...what kind is it?

echidna.jpg

It has one posterior opening only through which is eliminates and reproduces called a cloaca, a characteristic shared only with fish, reptiles and amphibians. It also lays eggs like fish, reptiles, amphibians, and birds but they nurse their young like mammals, though rather than having teats, they ooze milk out of special glands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
The cat in the bottom middle is a Jaguarundi.

Here's a complete list of cats in that picture (from left to right, top to bottom):

Caracal (Caracal caracal)
Marbeled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata)
Sandcat (Felis margarita)
Flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps)
Tiger (Panthera tigris)
Serval (Leptailarus serval)
Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis)
Jaguarundi (Herpailurus yaguarondi)
Asian Golden Cat (Catopuma temmincki)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
1st April 2003 at 07:36 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #14

A dog is one kind of animal, a cat is another kind of animal.

Thank you, John, but I think we all went to grade school and can figure that out.

But what specific characteristics are used in distiguishing between "kinds"? In other words, why is a dog one "kind" of animal and a cat another "kind"?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
John, since you seem to know so much about kinds, can you please tell us what "kind" the pictured animals are?

1st April 2003 at 04:36 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #14

A dog is one kind of animal, a cat is another kind of animal. Dogs will always be dogs, cats will always be cats.

Upvote 0