Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
FaithAlone said:
What is it that keeps a believer saved? Was it the same in the Old Testament as it is now? I would like to hear from people who believe that once you're saved you're always saved, and people who believe you can lose your salvation.
I'll address the NT after Calvary:

Simple answers:

1. The faith of the son of God

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

2. She sealing of the Spirit

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

God bless :wave:

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
SLStrohkirch said:
What keeps a person saved is neither? Faith in Christ crucified for us on the cross and resurrected on the third day is what keeps us saved.
Come let us reason together -

Question?

Do you see a difference between one's "faith in Christ" vs. the "faith of Christ"?

Just some food for thought -

Upvote 0

paulnoel

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!!!
Apr 5, 2005
Cambridge UK
✟10,032.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
"To believe" means to put our trust and confidence in Jesus and that he alone can save us. it is to put Christ in charge of our present plans and eternal destiny. Beliving is both trusting and relying on him for the power to change.Many sincere seekers for God are puzzled about what he wants them to do. the answer to this is brief and simple we must believe on him whom God has sent.
so what keeps believers saved?
............................................​
JESUS
:D :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FaithAlone said:
What is it that keeps a believer saved? Was it the same in the Old Testament as it is now? I would like to hear from people who believe that once you're saved you're always saved, and people who believe you can lose your salvation.

As in the other thread, our salvation is secured and maintained by the power of God:

1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

:bow:

God bless

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Reformationist said:
As in the other thread, our salvation is secured and maintained by the power of God:

1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

:bow:

God bless
Reformationist – nice verse – you got me thinking.

Just what is the “power of God”? So I ran the references and came up with.

You folks probably know this already but here we go anyway....

1 Cor 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

It appears from Reformationist's verse in I Pet. 1:5 that we are kept by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Conclusion:

We are justified by the faith of Jesus Christ.
We live by the faith of Jesus Christ.
And now Reformationist has shown that we are kept by Jesus Christ – Hence…

Christ has the preeminence in all things - including our salvation and security.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AVBunyan said:
Come let us reason together -

Question?

Do you see a difference between one's "faith in Christ" vs. the "faith of Christ"?

Just some food for thought -

??? Christ had faith in his father and his father's will. I have faith in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit because God is one and characterized in all three.

1 Corinthians 2

1When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.[a] 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.

God's word is in the Bible, but the Bible is not the entirety of God's word.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rebirth In Flames said:
Continuance in a state of salvation, depends upon a continuous state of obedience to Christ.

Well, I guess that means no one will be saved, or at least no one I've ever heard of. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Linux98

Mar 27, 2005
✟4,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FaithAlone said:
What is it that keeps a believer saved?

answer: God makes the decision concerning our salvation.

If we could choose Christ then we could unchoose him as well. However, because he chooses us we have no say in the matter. Phew!!! I'm sure glad it is his decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
FaithAlone said:

Here's some Scripture from the Old Testament , it makes a very interesting read don't you agree .........
icon7.gif

[font=times new roman, times new roman, times][font=arial, arial, helvetica][/font]

(Job 17:9) "The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger."

(Psalms 1:3) "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

(Psalms 23) "A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. {2} He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. {3} He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. {4} Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. {5} Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. {6} Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

(Psalms 34:7) "The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them."

(Psalms 48:14) "For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death."

(Psalms 92:12) "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon."

(Psalms 125:1) "A Song of degrees. They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever."

(Psalms 138:8) "The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands."

(Ecclesiastes 3:14) "I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him."

(Isaiah 46:4) "And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you."

(Jeremiah 32:40) "And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me."

(Ezekiel 11:19-20) "And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: {20} That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God."

I particularly like Jeremiah 32:40 :wave:

[/font]

Upvote 0

Ellethidhren

Wise Elf Maiden from Middle Earth
Apr 22, 2005
Lothlorien, Middle Earth
Visit site
✟657.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rebirth In Flames said:
Continuance in a state of salvation, depends upon a continuous state of obedience to Christ.

No, because of 2Timothy 1:9 and Ephesians 2:8.
Faith produces good works and obedience. We are not saved by good works or obedience. True faith in Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins as our redemption/salvation should enable a person through the Holy Spirit (who seals us, gives us wisdom and gifts) to live a life of obedience.
So in a nutshell salvation produces obedience, not vice versa.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sawdust said:
I'm a little surprised by what I have read so far. I always thought it was God's Grace that saves us. (Eph.2:8-9) :scratch:

peace

No need to be surprised. You're absolutely right. It is the grace of God that saves. :) :clap:

Well done.

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.