Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Spoiler Alert: It cost the family over ten grand. The media likes to give the impression that people crossing our southern border are desperately poor, perhaps on the brink of starvation. People who can cough up that kind of money are not in such a dire situation.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Spoiler Alert: It cost the family over ten grand. The media likes to give the impression that people crossing our southern border are desperately poor, perhaps on the brink of starvation. People who can cough up that kind of money are not in such a dire situation.
In this case, an uncle in the States was able to foot the bill. Not all those crossing are poor though.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In another thread on this, someone mentioned that the policy to pursue is one based on understanding rather than fear. (I think in that instance the fear that was being referred to would be xenophobia).

The proper understanding nevertheless is more and more that people smuggling enterprises are cartel related exercises.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

you couldn't be more wrong. I just don't understand this need to do the Fox News Spin on this. I mean, you are actually trying to imply that immigrants sneaking across the border aren't in dire straits. I just don't understand why you need to be so disingenuous.

In order to "cough up" the ten grand most of those families are literally selling 100% of everything they own as well as working and saving FOR YEARS.

In order to cross the border those families are seriously putting their lives and safety at risk. When was the last time you walked 50 to 100 miles through the desert with the fear of bandits beating, robbing, raping, and/or killing you and your family?

I don't know about you, but the average person does not do the above unless they are in dire straits.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

But of course -- they're all independently wealthy -- how silly of us to think otherwise.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gee...it's almost like people who cross the border illegally are desperately seeking refuge from violence in their home countries, and are willing to do almost anything it takes to get it.

Nah. The real answer is that scary brown people are "infesting" the country. How silly of me.
Ringo

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In order to "cough up" the ten grand most of those families are literally selling 100% of everything they own as well as working and saving FOR YEARS.

Would people in truly in dire straits have years to save up money?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In another thread on this, someone mentioned that the policy to pursue is one based on understanding rather than fear. (I think in that instance the fear that was being referred to would be xenophobia).

The proper understanding nevertheless is more and more that people smuggling enterprises are cartel related exercises.

I agree. These immigrants have to pay bribes all along the way. If they are robbed of everything right off the bat the whole scheme fails.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They are desperately poor....its not as if they don't have the money, they don't get across lol. Did you think the cartels are running a b&b on the Mexican side of the border? They'll take whatever a person has....whether its 10,000$ or 10$...the difference is the effort they make.

If you pay 10,000$...they'll probably make a serious effort. If you pay 10$ they'll drop you across the border in a big obvious group in order to distract the border patrol from those who pay well.

When you remove visa overstays from the equation...your average border jumper has between 0-100$ when they cross.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Any excuse to hate foreigners, I suppose...

Yep. Any excuse to conveniently overlook the real reasons why people cross the border illegally as a fig leaf for continuing hateful, racist "zero tolerance" policies.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yep. Any excuse to conveniently overlook the real reasons why people cross the border illegally as a fig leaf for continuing hateful, racist "zero tolerance" policies.
Ringo

If it's zero tolerance...then I don't see how it can be "racist". It would apply equally towards everyone who crosses illegally.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ringo

Meanwhile, while ICE enforces Donald's will to chase down the mothers and children... the drug cartels still manage to get their care packages here.

But pay no attention to the 20 kilos of cocaine behind the curtain...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Would people in truly in dire straits have years to save up money?

Are you serious? Let me get this straight. You are using someone's ability to save money over time as proof positive that their situation isn't dire?

People that are desperate can save what meager funds they have for their one shot at a better life. Squirrels can save over time, so to can humans.

Even during the Great Depression people were able to figure out ways to save. You beg, borrow, and steal if necessary.

don't understand why this is such a hard concept for you to grasp.

When you are desperate and you see a path to a better life, then there are plenty of human beings on this planet that figure out a way to "do what needs to be done" in order to realize that path.

Saving a few dollars at a time over a period of years is not uncommon. Poor people do have this ability. It does happen. Especially when there is a clear goal in mind.

When I was a kid, I managed to save $1400 in order to buy my first car. Took me two years of mowing grass, raking leaves, and working at the baseball stadium in the summer to save that money but I did.

I seriously don't understand why you need to prove they aren't in dire straits for your argument. That is an unwinnable argument requiring some serious mental gymnastics to pull off.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it's zero tolerance...then I don't see how it can be "racist". It would apply equally towards everyone who crosses illegally.

1. Because of what it does to migrant families when they come here: separating them, probably permanently, and locking children away in tent city concentration camps in the desert.
2. Because the polic(y/ies) fail(s) to take into account the reasons why people come here.
3. Because the polic(y/ies) punish people who have otherwise done nothing wrong except make the "mistake" of seeking refuge here during a racist president's term (example: DREAMers and asylum seekers)
Ringo

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Any excuse to hate foreigners, I suppose...

I'm largely indifferent to throngs that continually try to push their way across our southern border... which by definition means I don't hate them. It's really nothing personal against them. We just can't afford to take them in.

Saving a few dollars at a time over a period of years is not uncommon. Poor people do have this ability. It does happen. Especially when there is a clear goal in mind.

There's a difference between being poor and being in "dire straits". Obviously they enter the US illegally because they hope that life will be better here. What I take issue with the notion that the US owes them a better life.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, you're "largely indifferent" despite calling yourself a Christian. That says a lot more about you than you know.

"We can't afford to take them in". No, but we can certainly afford billions in tax cuts and breaks to billionaires.

Maybe you're not as much of a "soldier of the King" as you'd like for us to believe....
Ringo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm largely indifferent to throngs that continually try to push their way across our southern border... which by definition means I don't hate them. It's really nothing personal against them. We just can't afford to take them in.

Right, I keep forgetting how pathetically poor we all are -- that's why Mexico's paying for The Wall, amirite?

There's a difference between being poor and being in "dire straits". Obviously they enter the US illegally because they hope that life will be better here. What I take issue with the notion that the US owes them a better life.

Do you think it owes you one?

Upvote 0