What is Your View on Soteriology? (Calvinist/Arminian/etc.)

Soteriological view?

• Supralapsarian (Held by all hyper-Calvinists)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infralapsarian (Calvinist)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Prevenient (Classical Arminian)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Free Will (Mainline)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Good Works (Catholic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Explain your position.
Try though I might, I can't really think of a bumper sticker slogan to use in the poll.

If you need some kind of explanation for it, one might be...

The Catholic Church does not now, nor has it ever, taught a doctrine of salvation by works…that we can “work” our way into Heaven. Additionally, nowhere in the Bible does it teach that we are saved by “faith alone.” The only place in all of Scripture where the phrase “faith alone” appears is in James 2:24, where it says that we are not justified (or saved) by faith alone. The Bible says very clearly that we are not saved by faith alone.Works do have something to do with our salvation. Numerous passages in the New Testament that I know of about judgment says we will be judged by our works, not by whether or not we have faith alone. We see this in Romans 2, Matthew 15 and 16, 1 Peter 1, Revelation 20 and 22, 2 Corinthians 5, and many, many more verses. If we are saved by faith alone, why does 1 Corinthians 13:13 say that love is greater than faith? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? As Catholics we believe that we are saved by God’s grace alone. We can do nothing, apart from God’s grace, to receive the free gift of salvation. We also believe, however, that we have to respond to God’s grace. Protestants believe that, too. However, many Protestants believe that the only response necessary is an act of faith; whereas, Catholics believe a response of faith and works is necessary…or, as the Bible puts it in Galatians 5:6, “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumsion is of any avail, but faith working through love…” Faith working through love…just as the Church teaches.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/your-questions/church-teachings/salvation

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Really curious, that's all.
Soteriology is one of those words I have to google to know what it means. Okay, now that I've done that, I believe salvation is the act of the Lord getting us out of the messes we get ourselves into. That is different than going to heaven. After we've been saved, we still have work to do.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I voted freewill.
The key to figuring out salvation is found in the Parable of the sower.
Jesus sows the Word in all kinds of soil.
The soil determines if the seed grows or not.
The Holy Spirit starts His work of convicting of unbelief, and once we accept Him, The Holy Spirit does what only He can do in making us a child of God.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try though I might, I can't really think of a bumper sticker slogan to use in the poll.

If you need some kind of explanation for it, one might be...

Appreciated. Here's an article I referred to... to explain the apparent contradiction between Paul and James in this regard: Does James Contradict Paul?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a Calvinist, what is called "hyper-Calvinism" has to do with more than a view on the logical order of God's decrees. More often that not it is also used as a pejorative term and as a means of division. The issue of Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism is what you might call an in-house debate. This also includes a number of other related issues, and there is the temptation to say "well so and so held to this, and so and so held to that" but I think, and this is my opinion, what is most important to the issue of hyper-Calvinism are the implications. Regardless of where one stands, it should be understood on this issue that historically Calvinists have a great track record concerning evangelism. For example, Jonathan Edwards and George Whitefield, both Calvinists, were leaders in a revival known in American history as the "Great Awakening". Another less known man, a Presbyterian, a Calvinist by the name of Arthur T. Pierson was a pioneer of evangelistic missions, who lived to see the world evangelized. Personally, I am probably more in line with "moderate Calvinism", but probably have some "higher Calvinism" tendencies.

If you click on the Infralapsarian and Supralapsarianism link, you'll read from the article: "Many Calvinists reject both lapsarian views for various reasons." And it would be interesting if one could make a real case for either from any major historical Reformed Confession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am a Calvinist, what is called "hyper-Calvinism" has to do with more than a view on the logical order of God's decrees. More often that not it is also used as a pejorative term and as a means of division. The issue of Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism is what you might call an in-house debate. This also includes a number of other related issues, and there is the temptation to say "well so and so held to this, and so and so held to that" but I think, and this is my opinion, what is most important to the issue of hyper-Calvinism are the implications. Regardless of where one stands, it should be understood on this issue that historically Calvinists have a great track record concerning evangelism. For example, Jonathan Edwards and George Whitefield, both Calvinists, were leaders in a revival known in American history as the "Great Awakening". Another less known man, a Presbyterian, a Calvinist by the name of Arthur T. Pierson was a pioneer of evangelistic missions, who lived to see the world evangelized. Personally, I am probably more in line with "moderate Calvinism", but probably have some "higher Calvinism" tendencies.

If you click on the Infralapsarian and Supralapsarianism link, you'll read from the article: "Many Calvinists reject both lapsarian views for various reasons." And it would be interesting if one could make a real case for either from any major historical Reformed Confession.

If I was a Calvinist, I'd be an infralapsarian, since God is not the author of evil.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

In response to the Catholic Answers website, that is essentially what I believe but that works are a result of our regeneration in Jesus Christ our Savior. We are inclined... even persuaded by the Holy Spirit to do good works.

Yet if God transforms me on my deathbed, that also means I'm going to Heaven, does it not?

Without regeneration (being born again), our works amount to nothing.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In response to the Catholic Answers website, that is essentially what I believe but that works are a result of our regeneration in Jesus Christ our Savior. We are inclined... even persuaded by the Holy Spirit to do good works.

Yet if God transforms me on my deathbed, that also means I'm going to Heaven, does it not?

Without regeneration (being born again), our works amount to nothing.

That sounds closer to what many Protestants believe; that saving faith automatically produces good works, which are fruits of, but not an aspect of, salvation (which is understood by them to be through faith alone, that faith being made possible by grace).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That sounds closer to what many Protestants believe; that saving faith automatically produces good works, which are fruits of, but not an aspect of, salvation (which is understood by them to be through faith alone, that faith being made possible by grace).

Quite a good understanding of that doctrine, may I say.

Yes, without a change of heart divinely imbued by Jesus Christ Himself, our works are just self-serving and vain at the heart of it all.

We don't strive to look pious but to be righteous. Righteousness isn't the clothes you wear, the words you say, but the inner state granted through regeneration.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey, CIS. These may give some more answers.

Seeing your post and reading the post about your husband being a Baptist just reminded me of one of the greatest evangelistic preachers of all-time the Calvinistic Baptist Charles Hadden Spurgeon. How I allowed him to slip my mind I do not know, getting old I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example, Jonathan Edwards and George Whitefield, both Calvinists, were leaders in a revival known in American history as the "Great Awakening".
Did you know that John Wesley and Whitefield were great friends even though they debated over their differences in theology. John Wesley gave the sermon at George Whitefield funeral.

Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quite a good understanding of that doctrine, may I say.

Yes, without a change of heart divinely imbued by Jesus Christ Himself, our works are just self-serving and vain at the heart of it all.

We don't strive to look pious but to be righteous. Righteousness isn't the clothes you wear, the words you say, but the inner state granted through regeneration.

Yeah, that's pretty close to how many Protestants might summarize a theology of salvation. One Protestant preacher on the radio expressed it as "we do good works because we are saved, not to be saved".

But a Catholic response to that would see salvation as a journey of grace acting through faith and also through our free will in action, as we love God, and keep His commandments. Both because of grace, but in a manner in which our will co-operates with God's will towards our salvation. Many Catholic sources today seem to cite "faith working through love", which is also meant to include obedience, good works, compassion for the poor, humility, sacrifices, and fidelity in general. Not as opposing things, but as equally necessary yet different components.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeing your post and reading the post about your husband being a Baptist just reminded me of one of the greatest evangelistic preachers of all-time the Calvinistic Baptist Charles Hadden Spurgeon. How I allowed him to slip my mind I do not know, getting old I suppose.

I haven't been able to read much of Spurgeon, but would like to. I think they called him "the Prince of Preachers". Do you have any other favorite thinkers?

Upvote 0