What is your understanding of Psa 75:10?

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering where the translaters got the word weapons from? All my own bible translations say horns and that's also what I find in the original hebrew as well. Horns in the old testament are indicative of power.

Horns is not usually used to indicate weapons, it is usually figurative of power. See Strongs hebrew number 7161. I've not heard of that translation before, is it supposed to be an actual translation, or just a paraphased version?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 75:10
GOD’S WORD Translation
10 I will destroy all the weapons of wicked people,
but the weapons of righteous people will be raised proudly.
The statement is fairly forthright. God will ultimately destroy the weapons of the wicked in this world, while simultaneously giving support to the weapons of His righteous people.

But, as His people, we must recognize ... that our weapons are not of this world, but are as the Lord supplies ...

Zechariah 4:6b "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit," saith the Lord of hosts.

2 Corinthians 10

3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.
4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

Paul teaches (in Ephesians) the weapons of christian warfare ...

Ephesians 6

11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins gird about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering where the translaters got the word weapons from? All my own bible translations say horns and that's also what I find in the original hebrew as well. Horns in the old testament are indicative of power.

Horns is not usually used to indicate weapons, it is usually figurative of power. See Strongs hebrew number 7161. I've not heard of that translation before, is it supposed to be an actual translation, or just a paraphased version?
That translation could be a paraphrase and much like all translations, they too have issues with translation.

It not about what those words mean to us in modern terms, it's about the human inspired by the Holy Spirit author. What did he mean during his century and how his audience understands what it means.

Joshua had the Israelites blow ram's horns prior to conquering Jericho.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I was confused as well what translation he was using. I could not find one that translated the word as weapons.

KJV - “All the horns of the wicked I will also cut off,
But the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.”

NIV - who says, “I will cut off the horns of all the wicked,
but the horns of the righteous will be lifted up.”

ASV & RSV - All the horns of the wicked also will I cut off;
But the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.

LXX - And I will break all the horns of sinners; but the horns of the righteous one shall be exalted.

TLB - “I will cut off the strength of evil men,” says the Lord, “and increase the power of good men in their place.”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
GOD’S WORD Translation

2 Cor 10:
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage battle according to the flesh, 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5 We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Eph 6:
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist on the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having belted your waist with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having strapped on your feet the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exalting the horn of the righteous is a common theme in the old testament, it is connected with God lifting up the head of His people above their enemies. The word "weapons" seems strangely out of place in a psalm which has the structure of praise followed by judgement, followed again by praise and followed again by judgement. Weapons just don't fit into what this psalm is all about!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Daniel Marsh

I must agree that 'horn' is likely the better translation. With horns, then God is saying that he will bring down the rulers of wicked nations, but lift up righteous ones. I think we have seen time and time again, that the wicked rulers over nations often fall, yet nations established with righteous rulers continue on. Adolph Hitler, Baby Doc Duvalier, Idi Amin, Quadaffi, etc.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some bibles with margin references, show how the verses in the psalms are structured, with alternation and repetition of themes. I don't suppose that this is something which is commonly taught in these times, but it something which I have just picked up on myself. For most who read the bible, I don't suppose that this would be very important. For me, looking for these structures in the more recent modern versions of the bible can be much more problematic.

In particular the old testament contains many types and shaddows of events in new testament prophecies, which have been made less obvious in some of the more modern versions of the bible. If these types, shadows and structured themes are more easy to identify in the older versions of the bible, what else are we also missing with todays increasing reliance upon today's modern versions of the bible with a strong influence on ease of reading, limited vocabularies and even in some cases political correctness.

(Psalm 11:3) If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Reactions: readywriter
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some bibles with margin references, show how the verses in the psalms are structured, with alternation and repetition of themes. I don't suppose that this is something which is commonly taught in these times, but it something which I have just picked up on myself. For most who read the bible, I don't suppose that this would be very important. For me, looking for these structures in the more recent modern versions of the bible can be much more problematic.

In particular the old testament contains many types and shaddows of events in new testament prophecies, which have been made less obvious in some of the more modern versions of the bible. If these types, shadows and structured themes are more easy to identify in the older versions of the bible, what else are we also missing with todays increasing reliance upon today's modern versions of the bible with a strong influence on ease of reading, limited vocabularies and even in some cases political correctness.

(Psalm 11:3) If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
And Lam 2:3 and Psa 112:9 , A HORN , Messiah is so called .

There many figures of speech in the bible and this is just one of many and BULLINGER has written 3 books on figures of speech and there are hundreds of them in the bible >

Here 4 figures of speech called OXYMORON which means a wise saying that seem foolish .

#1 Job 22:6 , And stripped the naked of their clothing .

#2 Isa 58:10 , Thy darkness shall be as the noon day >

#3 2 Cor 12:10 When I am weak , then am I strong .

#4 , 2 Cor 8:2 , Their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberalty .

Their are hundred of them .

dan p

Luke 1:69 , hence it is used , by METONYMY , for strength and power

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And Lam 2:3 and Psa 112:9 , A HORN , Messiah is so called .

There many figures of speech in the bible and this is just one of many and BULLINGER has written 3 books on figures of speech and there are hundreds of them in the bible >

Here 4 figures of speech called OXYMORON which means a wise saying that seem foolish .

#1 Job 22:6 , And stripped the naked of their clothing .

#2 Isa 58:10 , Thy darkness shall be as the noon day >

#3 2 Cor 12:10 When I am weak , then am I strong .

#4 , 2 Cor 8:2 , Their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberalty .

Their are hundred of them .

dan p

Luke 1:69 , hence it is used , by METONYMY , for strength and power
Hello @Dan Perez,

Yes, the books, 'Figures of Speech used in the Bible', are wonderful reference books, which are truly a blessing to have.

The word 'horn' is used to signify strength and power, as you say.

The use of Structures referred to by @Trusting in Him, are also wonderful tools for understanding. I value their use in my Bible, which is 'The Companion Bible'.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Dan Perez,

Yes, the books, 'Figures of Speech used in the Bible', are wonderful reference books, which are truly a blessing to have.

The word 'horn' is used to signify strength and power, as you say.

The use of Structures referred to by @Trusting in Him, are also wonderful tools for understanding. I value their use in my Bible, which is 'The Companion Bible'.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

My general approach to interpreting the Psalms is that they are all prophecies.

All 150 Psalms are prophecies to Israel regarding any of these 3
  1. Jesus first coming
  2. The Tribulation period
  3. The millennial kingdom
With this framework, I often see the 150 Psalms being grouped into "sets of three".

The clearest example would be Psalms 1, when they say blessed be THE man, that man is referring to Jesus Christ in his first coming to Israel. He is the only one who can keep the Law day and night.

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My general approach to interpreting the Psalms is that they are all prophecies.

All 150 Psalms are prophecies to Israel regarding any of these 3
  1. Jesus first coming
  2. The Tribulation period
  3. The millennial kingdom
With this framework, I often see the 150 Psalms being grouped into "sets of three".

The clearest example would be Psalms 1, when they say blessed be THE man, that man is referring to Jesus Christ in his first coming to Israel. He is the only one who can keep the Law day and night.
Hello @Guojing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In my Bible the Psalms are divided into 5 Books:-

1-41 - The Genesis Book:- concerning man.
The counsels of God, concerning Him. All blessing bound up in obedience (cp. Psalm 1:1 with Genesis 1:28. Obedience is man's tree of life (cp. Psalm 1:3 with Psalm 2:16). Disobedience brought ruin (cp. Psalm 2 with Genesis 3). The ruin repaired only by the Son of Man in His atoning work as the seed of the woman (cp. Psalm 8 with Genesis 3:15). The book concludes with a Benediction and double Amen.

42-72 - The Exodus Book:- concerning Israel, as a nation.
The counsels of God, concerning Israel's ruin, Israel's Redeemer, and Israel's Redemption (Exodus 15:13) Cp. Psalm 68:4 with Exodus 15:3, 'JAH'. It begins with Israel's cry for deliverance, and ends with Israel's king reigning over the redeemed nation. The book concludes with a Benediction and double Amen.

73-89 - The Leviticus Book:- concerning the sanctuary.
The counsels of God concerning the Sanctuary in its relation to man, and the Sanctuary in relation to Jehovah. The Sanctuary, Congregation, Assembly, or Zion, &c., referred to in nearly every Psalm. The book concludes with a Benediction and double Amen.

90-106 - The Numbers Book:- concerning Israel, and the nations of the earth.
The counsels of God, concerning the Earth, showing that there is no hope of rest for the Earth apart from Jehovah. Its figures and similes are from the world as a wilderness (cp. the references to mountains, hills, floods, grass, trees, pestilence &C.,). It begins with the prayer of Moses (the Man of the Wilderness), Psalm 90, and closes with a rehearsal of Israel's rebellions in the wilderness (Psalm 106). Note 'the New Song' for 'all the earth' in Psalm 96:11, where the theme is contained in one sentence which gives an Acrostic, spelling the word, 'Jehovah': 'Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad'. The book concludes with a Benediction and Amen, "Hallelujah".

107-150 - The Deuteronomy Book:- concerning God and His Word.
The counsels of God, concerning His Word, showing that all blessings for Man (Book 1), all blessings for Israel (Book 2), all blessings for the Earth and the Nations (Book 4), are bound up with living on the words of God (Deuteronomy 8:3). Disobedience to Jehovah's words was the source of Man's sorrows, Israel's dispersion, the Sanctuary's ruin, and Earth's miseries. Blessing is to come from that Word written on the heart (cp. Jeremiah 31:33-34). Hebrews 8:10-12; Hebrews 10:16-17). The Living Word (John 1:1) begins His ministry by quoting Deuteronomy 6:13; Deuteronomy 6:16; Deuteronomy 8:3 and Deuteronomy 10:20, in Matthew 4:4,7,10. The book begins with Psalm 107, and in verse 20 we read, 'He sent His Word and healed them', and it concludes with five psalms (one for each of the five books), each Psalm beginning and ending with "Hallelujah".

* I typed this out from my Bible's introduction to the book of Psalms. I hope you find this interesting, as I did.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Guojing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In my Bible the Psalms are divided into 5 Books:-

1-41 - The Genesis Book:- concerning man.
The counsels of God, concerning Him. All blessing bound up in obedience (cp. Psalm 1:1 with Genesis 1:28. Obedience is man's tree of life (cp. Psalm 1:3 with Psalm 2:16). Disobedience brought ruin (cp. Psalm 2 with Genesis 3). The ruin repaired only by the Son of Man in His atoning work as the seed of the woman (cp. Psalm 8 with Genesis 3:15). The book concludes with a Benediction and double Amen.

Thanks for sharing. To confirm what you are saying about Psalms 1 here, when you read of "the man", you interpret that as believers?

As in if we obey the Law, everything we do will prosper?

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟202,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GOD’S WORD Translation
I think it's talking about the hypocritical words of negative prejudice and cynicism, the wanting to believe and say bad about others. The words of those who are gracious through faith who want to believe and say the good about others, God will raise up.

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing. To confirm what you are saying about Psalms 1 here, when you read of "the man", you interpret that as believers?

As in if we obey the Law, everything we do will prosper?
Hello there, @Guojing,

With respect, I believe the description given in relation to the subject matter of each 'book' is self explanatory.

These descriptions refer to the Psalms, which were written primarily for the children of Israel.

Disobedience to God's known will has tragic results as Adam and Eve discovered, and mankind suffers from it still, for it resulted in death: For sin had entered into the world by their disobedience, and death by sin.

The Lord Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, came to take upon Himself the penalty for the sin of mankind, by dying in our place: So that those who believe and trust in His atoning sacrifice, may receive forgiveness of sin, and be reconciled to God.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello there, @Guojing,

With respect, I believe the description given in relation to the subject matter of each 'book' is self explanatory.

These descriptions refer to the Psalms, which were written primarily for the children of Israel.

Disobedience to God's known will has tragic results as Adam and Eve discovered, and mankind suffers from it still, for it resulted in death: For sin had entered into the world by their disobedience, and death by sin.

The Lord Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, came to take upon Himself the penalty for the sin of mankind, by dying in our place: So that those who believe and trust in His atoning sacrifice, may receive forgiveness of sin, and be reconciled to God.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

With respect, I was asking you a simple clarifying question, but I don't think you have answered it.

Let me ask again more clearly

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

According to you, who is the man?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With respect, I was asking you a simple clarifying question, but I don't think you have answered it.

Let me ask again more clearly

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

According to you, who is the man?
Hello @Guoging,

Thank you for this clarification.
The context reveals that man to be a godly man.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour
Our risen Lord and Head
Chris

Upvote 0