Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course! But I think people need to have faith in their own ability to pray to the Father as well.

I surely would not want your family members to be homeless. I have never been homeless myself, but I know it's totally possibly I could very well be on the street without God's grace on my life.

The important thing to understand is that even in poverty, God provides for His children and gives them just as much as they need.

My testimony is somewhat based on these verses. I hope they find you well.

Matthew 7:7-11 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."
I agree that it’s a personal saviour everyone needs. The new testament times supplies a trust between God and individual that must be built up and called upon at the right time, right place for the HS’s power to service.

It brings to mind this scripture:
1 Peter 4
10As good stewards of the manifold grace of God, each of you should use whatever gift he has received to serve one another. 11If anyone speaks, he should speak as one conveying the words of God. If anyone serves, he should serve with the strength God supplies, so thatin all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory and the powerforever and ever. Amen.

For those alone it’s a necessity but simpler when the burden is shared.
I agree in the sense that the Pentecostal gifts that came upon those represented as tongues of fire upon the 120 were for the purpose of service to Christ via the Holy Spirit to carry out the work of the Father to further His ministry of reconciliation to Him.

For God’s purpose He can use anyone at anytime, examples which can be seen in Cyrus, for instance. He was old testament called to perform a job for God to further His plan. That wasn’t an indwelling. The Holy Spirit in the OT came upon the prophets.

That’s different than for example the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the breath of life breathed upon the disciples for their understanding and ability to live the Christian life.

I think that in the new testament times a trust between God and individual must be built up to be called upon at the right time and right place for the HS’s power to service. It brings to mind this scripture:
1 Peter 4
10As good stewards of the manifold grace of God, each of you should use whatever gift he has received to serve one another. 11If anyone speaks, he should speak as one conveying the words of God. If anyone serves, he should serve with the strength God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree that it’s a personal saviour everyone needs. The new testament times supplies a trust between God and individual that must be built up and called upon at the right time, right place for the HS’s power to service.

It brings to mind this scripture:
1 Peter 4
10As good stewards of the manifold grace of God, each of you should use whatever gift he has received to serve one another. 11If anyone speaks, he should speak as one conveying the words of God. If anyone serves, he should serve with the strength God supplies, so thatin all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory and the powerforever and ever. Amen.

For those alone it’s a necessity but simpler when the burden is shared.

Jesus lived in an honor/shame culture, not an innocent/guilty culture. If an individual did something bad in Jesus day, it was considered an act by the whole culture, which would naturally bring the wrath of the whole culture upon that person for making them look bad. THAT is where the problems with Jesus and the Pharisees begin. Jesus claimed that the Pharisees were in SERIOUS error. Jesus was saying the self righteous were fundamentally wrong. Think about that... Jesus was calling out the righteous and saying they were the worst people. That is why it was Jesus who said to Peter, (Matthew 16:17) "And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.'"

Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the gift of singing and have been singing for over thirty years. To those who think they don't have a gift, let me say this. God can use anybody. You want to know how I know? I have cerebral palsy and He still called me to sing. Besides knowing Jesus as your Savior, there's only one requirement to serve God--a willing heart. If you're willing to be used by God, I promise you He will use use you.

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do desire my brothers and sisters in Christ have spiritual gifts.
Aren’t they many in need of healing these days?
Aren’t they many in need of miracles these days?
Aren’t many in need to distinguish between spirits these days ?
Aren’t many in all other needs ?

I do really wish we know actively whom the Holy Spirit has willed to give these gifts because many are in need to be served.

I understand many have desired to have spiritual gifts but may feel having received none. The most important element I find that Holy Spirit considers necessary is love, faith and hope. Let us grow that as we desire spiritual gifts.

When we see the activation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit ! What should impress us ? Isn’t the love of the Holy Spirit?

That His love rescue those in need of miracles, healing, edification and other supports.

The activities of the gifts of Holy Spirit should induce us to minister the need of those whom God calls with love as our primary motivator.

We ministers like the Holy Spirit because we put on feelings of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience toward those whom the Lord calls us to serve.

Upvote 0

Justin Olman

Feb 6, 2021
North Carolina
✟17,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a list of them in 1 Cor. 12, all believers are supposed to have one, whats yours?
I love this thread. You guys are great and I share many of your feelings about this. I also have a gift of agitating, although, I always thought that it was just because I'm a nerd. Without trying, I'm really good at it, so let me apologize now.
I think it's important to talk about, not to brag but encourage. This is for us, all of us.
Some may disagree but I think there is no manual for the gifts of the Spirit. Scripture is just a collection of clues. Did the hair on the back of your neck just stand up? Remember, I already apologized.
What I'm about to tell you, I don't tell people. I've always felt the need to be quit about it, however now seems different. I think that's what excites me so much about this string. When I was 16 a stranger asked me a bunch of questions about God. I had all the right answer except one.
Have you asked Jesus for forgiveness? The answer was no and I knew without any doubt that it was something that I needed to do. We prayed right then and my world changed forever.
When I said, Amen, and opened my eyes the day was brighter, the color more brilliant, the sound more crisp and my mind so open. It was like being able to see everything at once and focusing on all of it at the same time. Above all the new sensations was a sound in my head. I'll never forget it. It was like I had just run a touch down and the crowd went crazy. I could hear cheering.
Does that freak you out? It did me. Find that in scripture. I ran home to tell my mother. She was always a strong woman with a good poker face and she said, "My but you had a really emotional experience." The Holy Spirit did a somersault in chest and a voice in my head said, "No, it was a bit more than that!"
I have struggled for years to understand what this is. I've experienced many other gifts but there is no "one" gift yet. I've never spoken in tongues although I have asked for that gift. I'm not a preacher, prophet, seer or healer and yet so many spiritual super natural things have happened. My brother has never had a single experience with any gift of the spirit although he wants to and it upsets him that it hasn't happened. I've tried to understand why this is. The only thing that I come up with is faith and love for God. It's hard to speak to someone else's faith. I can really only speak to my own.
I knew Jesus was real, sinless and worthy. I knew that he had suffered, died and come back as proof that he was the Son of God. I knew that he would forgive me and all I had to do was ask. I could feel the Love in that act and was able to do more than reflect it. I Love God.
Whenever I feel low or my faith wavers, I think of those cheers, for me, a nobody, a nerd, an agitator, a sinner falling short of the Glory of God and I am renewed.
If you have read this far without throwing your hands up in disgust then I ask you to try one thing right now. Think of want he has done in your life and find the deep love he has for you. Reach for that love while you ask for his forgiveness and receive his Spirit into your heart. Then listen quietly and wait on the Lord. The voice in your head is not always your own. Follow and the gifts will come. All Glory to God.

• Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
all believers are supposed to have one, whats yours?

I guess my gift is playing old hymns on harmonica, I play on Church steps during the week, though I haven't been playing since corona virus, I've been playing on facebook and youtube, I don't try to make money anymore, about 20 years ago I play on the street, because I didn't have enough money, now I just play for fun, some people enjoy it, if you want to hear me here's a link to youtube, tell me what you think.

John Webb - YouTube

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0