What is your personal statement about God and Jesus?

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking of updating my personal statement about God and Jesus to...

God is the eternal Spirit named YH-H.
God the Father is YH-H in transcendence.
The Spirit of God is YH-H in immanence.
The Son of God (Jesus) is YH-H incarnate.

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the three persona of God are not merely different characteristics of God.

It seems you are just commenting on my statement.

Can you provide your personal statement about God and Jesus?

Or was that your complete statement?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems you are just commenting on my statement.

Can you provide your personal statement about God and Jesus?

Or was that your complete statement?
I was commenting on your statement and, in the process, giving my own belief, the conventional one.

Of course there is more that could be written, but because you didn't elaborate on your belief, I thought it appropriate to reply in a similar way. You know, just to explain what is believed about Jesus would fill out a term paper. :)

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am thinking of updating my personal statement about God and Jesus to...

The Bible teaches that God is the Trinity. The Trinity is the teaching that there exists only one God in all the universe, none before and none after Him (Isaiah 44:6,8) and that God consists of three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Father, who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. Yet, there are not three gods, but one.

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was commenting on your statement and, in the process, giving my own belief, the conventional one.

Of course there is more that could be written, but because you didn't elaborate on your belief, I thought it appropriate to reply in a similar way. You know, just to explain what is believed about Jesus would fill out a term paper. :)

I intentionally made my statement as concise as possible while still mentioning God, YH-H, God the Father, the Spirit of God, the Son of God, and Jesus.

And I was not trying to get you to change your answer. I honestly did not think you were providing your personal answer but were only commenting on mine. So I will leave your answer as you had it.

How about the rest of you...

If someone asks you for your personal statement about God and Jesus, what will YOU say?

Yahchristian will say...

Albion will say...
I believe that the three persona of God are not merely different characteristics of God.

AvgJoe will say...
The Bible teaches that God is the Trinity. The Trinity is the teaching that there exists only one God in all the universe, none before and none after Him and that God consists of three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Father, who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. Yet, there are not three gods, but one.

John Hyperspace will say...
I believe that the Father is the relation of God to man under the old covenant; that the Son is the relation of God to man under the new covenant; and that the Holy Spirit is the relation of God to man. I believe that God is a Spirit and in whomever this Spirit resides: that all who express God are the personification of God. That the man Jesus is the only perfect expression of God and thus the only perfect personification of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the Father is the relation of God to man under the old covenant; that the Son is the relation of God to man under the new covenant; and that the Holy Spirit is the relation of God to man. I believe that God is a Spirit and in whomever this Spirit resides: that all who express God are the personification of God. That the man Jesus is the only perfect expression of God and thus the only perfect personification of God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Meaning, I take it, that there are lots of gods although the exact number is unknown.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible teaches that God is the Trinity. The Trinity is the teaching that there exists only one God in all the universe, none before and none after Him (Isaiah 44:6,8) and that God consists of three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Father, who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. Yet, there are not three gods, but one.

Question: why does Jesus then pray to the Father, say the Father is greater than him, cry out to God and ask why He has forsaken Jesus on the cross, etc.? Things like that always confused me.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meaning, I take it, that there are lots of gods although the exact number is unknown.

It depends on how you look at it. There's one Spirit in the many, so we could look at it as many members of one body. Or, we could look at it as many. One, many; depends upon your point of view. But there is only one "God of gods" or "express image of God"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It depends on how you look at it. There's one Spirit in the many, so we could look at it as many members of one body. Or, we could look at it as many. One, many; depends upon your point of view. But there is only one "God of gods" or "express image of God"

If I recall correctly the Bible implied the Israelites were once henotheistic—they said many gods existed but worshipped only Yahweh (which in a way makes sense—why would God have any reason to be jealous if it was just humans worshipping nothing that existed?)

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I recall correctly the Bible implied the Israelites were once henotheistic—they said many gods existed but worshipped only Yahweh (which in a way makes sense—why would God have any reason to be jealous if it was just humans worshipping nothing that existed?)

It would seem difficult to be the "God of gods" without there being "gods"

De 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
Jos 22:22 The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he shall know;
Ps 136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Ps 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It would seem difficult to be the "God of gods" without there being "gods"

De 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
Jos 22:22 The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in transgression against the LORD, (save us not this day,)
Ps 136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Ps 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Not to mention one verse that says "Who is like you Oh Lord, among the gods?"

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question: why does Jesus then pray to the Father, say the Father is greater than him, cry out to God and ask why He has forsaken Jesus on the cross, etc.? Things like that always confused me.

My personal statement about God and Jesus is...

So I would answer your questions like this...

Why does Jesus then pray to the Father?
One transcendent Person is not praying to another transcendent Person. Rather...
Jesus (YH-H incarnate) prays to the Father (YH-H in transcendence).
In other words, YH-H incarnate in the universe is praying to YH-H outside the universe.

Why does Jesus say the Father is greater than him?
One transcendent Person is not greater than another transcendent Person. Rather...
YH-H in transcendence is greater than YH-H incarnate.
In other words, YH-H incarnate is finite whereas YH-H in transcendence is infinite.

Why does Jesus cry out to God and ask why He has forsaken Jesus on the cross, etc.?
One transcendent Person is not forsaking another transcendent Person. Rather...
YH-H in transcendence had forsaken YH-H incarnate in order to redeem us.
In other words, Emmanuel (incarnate God with us) died for our sins.

Here is a question for you...

What is YOUR personal statement about God and Jesus?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

1) Jesus isn't His own Father, He's the Son; and the Son is distinct from the Father though homoousios with Him.
2) Jesus is both God and man. He is as much human as He is God, and this does result in certain paradoxes: such as that though He is very God, and thus knows all things "grew in wisdom" and did not know the day or hour of His return.
3) In the case of why He cried out, "why have You forsaken Me?" many have pointed out that this is a partial quote from Psalm 22, but even still, we go back to point 2.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My personal statement? Let's try something like this:

There is one God, the Father Almighty, maker of all things. Jesus Christ, our Lord, is the only-begotten Son of God the Father, begotten in eternity, without beginning, of the Father's own Essence, God of God, of one Being with the Father, uncreated; who at a point in time became man, conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary Theotokos, He is true God and true man without confusion or separation, but both equally, of two natures, two wills: of a rational human soul and body as pertains to His humanity and being eternal Deity as pertains to His Deity, one Christ, Lord, Son, Word of God, truly God and man. Who for us suffered, was crucified, descended into death, destroying the power of sin, death, hell, and the devil; has been raised up from the dead glorious and immortal, and having ascended into the heavens sits at the right hand of the Father in glory with all power, kingdom and authority until the day He comes to judge the living and the dead, and of His kingdom there is no end. And the Holy Spirit, who is Lord, giver of life, consubstantial with the Father and the Son; truly God, Lord, Eternal, Uncreated; who proceeds from the Father's own Essence from all eternity, and through or of the Son as He who gives life to those who hear and trust Christ's word, making them alive to God in Christ, who has spoken through the prophets. One God, Holy Trinity, of One indivisible, inseparable, incomprehensible Essence, Being, or Nature; three Hypostases or Persons or Subsistences, co-equal, co-eternal, mutually coinhering, of the One indivisible Essence: Father from all eternity, Son begotten of the Father from all eternity, Spirit proceeding of the Father and/in/through the Son from all eternity: true God, one, united, without division, almighty, all-holy, King Eternal, Lord. By whom we have our life, our being, our existence and who calls, saves, sanctifies, and makes all things new according to His good pleasure in whom is all things, by whom is all things, and for whom is all things: True and Only God, blessed and alone worthy of all adoration and praise.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Question: why does Jesus then pray to the Father,

To understand Jesus as God on earth, praying to His Father in heaven, we need to realize that the eternal Father and the eternal Son had an eternal relationship before Jesus took upon Himself the form of a man. Please read John 5:19-27, particularly verse 23 where Jesus teaches that the Father sent the Son (also see John 15:10). Jesus did not become the Son of God when He was born in Bethlehem. He has always been the Son of God from eternity past, still is the Son of God, and always will be.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us that the Son was given and the Child was born. Jesus was always part of the tri-unity, along with the Holy Spirit. The tri-unity always existed, the Father God, the Son God, and the Spirit God, not three gods, but one God existing as three persons. Jesus taught that He and His Father are one (John 10:30), meaning that He and His Father are of the same substance and the same essence. The Father, Son and Spirit are three co-equal persons existing as God. These three had, and continue to have, an eternal relationship.

When Jesus, the eternal Son of God, took upon Himself sinless humanity He also took on the form of a servant, giving up His heavenly glory (Philippians 2:5-11). As the God-man, He had to learn obedience (Hebrews 5:8) to His Father as He was tempted by Satan, accused falsely by men, rejected by His people, and eventually crucified. His praying to His heavenly Father was to ask for power (John 11:41-42) and wisdom (Mark 1:35, 6:46). His praying showed His dependence upon His Father in His humanity to carry out His Father's plan of redemption, as evidenced in Christ's high priestly prayer in John 17. His praying demonstrated that He ultimately submitted to His Father's will, which was to go to the cross and pay the penalty (death) for our breaking God's law (Matthew 26:31-46). Of course, He rose bodily from the grave, winning forgiveness and eternal life for those who repent of sin and believe in Him as the Savior.

There is no problem with God the Son praying or talking to God the Father. As mentioned, they had an eternal relationship before Christ became a man. This relationship is depicted in the Gospels so we can see how the Son of God in His humanity carried out His Father's will, and in doing so, purchased redemption for His children (John 6:38). Christ’s continual submission to His heavenly Father was empowered and kept focused through His prayer life. Christ’s example of prayer is ours to follow.

Jesus Christ was no less God on earth when praying to His Father in heaven. He was depicting how even in sinless humanity it is necessary to have a vital prayer life in order to do His Father’s will. Jesus' praying to the Father was a demonstration of His relationship within the Trinity and an example for us that we must rely on God through prayer for the strength and wisdom we need. Since Christ, as the God-man, needed to have a vibrant prayer life, so should the follower of Christ today.

www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-pray-God.html

say the Father is greater than him,

The phrase “the Father is greater than I” (John 14:28) was spoken by Jesus during the upper room discourse, and the greater context is the promising of the Holy Spirit to the disciples after Jesus’ resurrection. Jesus says repeatedly that He is doing the Father’s will, thereby implying that He is somehow subservient to the Father. The question then becomes how can Jesus be equal to God when by His own admission He is subservient to the will of God? The answer to this question lies within the nature of the incarnation.

During the incarnation, Jesus was temporarily “made lower than the angels” (Hebrews 2:9), which refers to Jesus’ status. The doctrine of the incarnation says that the second Person of the Trinity took on human flesh. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, Jesus was fully human and “made lower than the angels.” However, Jesus is fully divine, too. By taking on human nature, Jesus did not relinquish His divine nature—God cannot stop being God. How do we reconcile the fact that the second Person of the Trinity is fully divine yet fully human and by definition “lower than the angels”? The answer to that question can be found in Philippians 2:5-11. When the second Person of the Trinity took on human form, something amazing occurred. Christ “made himself nothing.” This phrase has generated more ink than almost any other phrase in the Bible. In essence, what it means is that Jesus voluntarily relinquished the prerogative of freely exercising His divine attributes and subjected Himself to the will of the Father while on earth.

Another thing to consider is the fact that subservience in role does not equate to subservience in essence. For example, consider an employer/employee relationship. The employer has the right to make demands of the employee, and the employee has the obligation to serve the employer. The roles clearly define a subservient relationship. However, both people are still human beings and share in the same human nature. There is no difference between the two as to their essence; they stand as equals. The fact that one is an employer and the other is an employee does nothing to alter the essential equality of these two individuals as human beings. The same can be said of the members of the Trinity. All three members (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are essentially equal; i.e., they are all divine in nature. However, in the grand plan of redemption, they play certain roles, and these roles define authority and subservience. The Father commands the Son, and the Father and the Son command the Holy Spirit.

Therefore, the fact that the Son took on a human nature and made Himself subservient to the Father in no way denies the deity of the Son, nor does it diminish His essential equality with the Father. The “greatness” spoken of in this verse, then, relates to role, not to essence.

www.gotquestions.org/Father-greater-I.html

cry out to God and ask why He has forsaken Jesus on the cross, etc.? Things like that always confused me.

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46, KJV). This cry is a fulfillment of Psalm 22:1, one of many parallels between that psalm and the specific events of the crucifixion. It is difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was “forsaken” by God. It is certain that God approved His work. It is certain that Jesus was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As God’s own Son—holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient—God still loved Him. In none of these senses could God have forsaken Him.

The prophet Isaiah says this about the Messiah: “Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed” (Isaiah 53:4–5). Jesus redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us (Galatians 3:13). He was made a sin-offering, and He died in our place, on our account, that He might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, that intensified His sufferings and part of why Jesus said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” It was the manifestation of God’s hatred of sin, in some unexplained way, that Jesus experienced in that terrible hour. The suffering He endured was due to us, and it is that suffering by which we can be saved from eternal death.

In those awful moments, as evil men were allowed to do whatever they wanted to Jesus, our Lord expressed His feelings of abandonment. God placed the sins of the world on His Son, and Jesus for a time felt the desolation of being unconscious of His Father’s presence. It was at this time that “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

There is another possible reason for Jesus to cry out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” It could be that Jesus’ intent in quoting Psalm 22:1 was to point His hearers to that psalm. When they read Psalm 22, they would no doubt see the many fulfilled prophecies included in that song of David. Even while experiencing the agony of the cross, Jesus was teaching the crowds and proving yet again that He was the Messiah who fulfilled the Scriptures.

www.gotquestions.org/forsaken-me.html

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal statement? Let's try something like this:

There is one God, the Father Almighty, maker of all things. Jesus Christ, our Lord, is the only-begotten Son of God the Father, begotten in eternity, without beginning, of the Father's own Essence, God of God, of one Being with the Father, uncreated; who at a point in time became man, conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary Theotokos, He is true God and true man without confusion or separation, but both equally, of two natures, two wills: of a rational human soul and body as pertains to His humanity and being eternal Deity as pertains to His Deity, one Christ, Lord, Son, Word of God, truly God and man. Who for us suffered, was crucified, descended into death, destroying the power of sin, death, hell, and the devil; has been raised up from the dead glorious and immortal, and having ascended into the heavens sits at the right hand of the Father in glory with all power, kingdom and authority until the day He comes to judge the living and the dead, and of His kingdom there is no end. And the Holy Spirit, who is Lord, giver of life, consubstantial with the Father and the Son; truly God, Lord, Eternal, Uncreated; who proceeds from the Father's own Essence from all eternity, and through or of the Son as He who gives life to those who hear and trust Christ's word, making them alive to God in Christ, who has spoken through the prophets. One God, Holy Trinity, of One indivisible, inseparable, incomprehensible Essence, Being, or Nature; three Hypostases or Persons or Subsistences, co-equal, co-eternal, mutually coinhering, of the One indivisible Essence: Father from all eternity, Son begotten of the Father from all eternity, Spirit proceeding of the Father and/in/through the Son from all eternity: true God, one, united, without division, almighty, all-holy, King Eternal, Lord. By whom we have our life, our being, our existence and who calls, saves, sanctifies, and makes all things new according to His good pleasure in whom is all things, by whom is all things, and for whom is all things: True and Only God, blessed and alone worthy of all adoration and praise.

-CryptoLutheran

In your personal statement about God and Jesus, you say...

"Son begotten of the Father from all eternity."

Whereas I would say...

"Son begotten of the Father on the day He was made flesh."

John 1:14... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 1:5... For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

In other words, I think the Bible defines "begotten" as "was made flesh" (which is similar to the dictionary definition). And since Jesus was "made flesh" but the Holy Spirit was not, that is why Jesus is the "only begotten".

But what is your definition of "begotten" such that Jesus is "begotten" but the Holy Spirit is not "begotten" from all eternity?

P.S.
It would seem that
"the Word" is eternal, and that "begotten" refers to when the Word was made flesh as "the Son".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In your personal statement about God and Jesus, you say...

"Son begotten of the Father from all eternity."

Whereas I would say...

"Son begotten of the Father on the day He was made flesh."

And that's heretical.

John 1:14
... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 1:5... For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

In other words, I think the Bible defines "begotten" as "was made flesh" (which is similar to the dictionary definition). And since Jesus was "made flesh" but the Holy Spirit was not, that is why Jesus is the "only begotten".

No, neither of those passages support that position. The Word was made flesh, yes, but He was not begotten of the father when He became flesh and that is not what the text says. And "this day I have begotten you" has no relationship to Jesus' conception or His birth, elsewhere this quote is applied to Christ's resurrection,

"'this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, “‘You are my Son, today I have begotten you.’" - Acts 13:33

But what is your definition of "begotten" such that Jesus is "begotten" but the Holy Spirit is not "begotten" from all eternity?

P.S.
It would seem that
"the Word" is eternal, and that "begotten" refers to when the Word was made flesh as "the Son".

Begotten, generated, the Son has His eternal origin in and from the Being of the Father, by which He is God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not made, homoousios with the Father.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My personal statement is that God and Jesus are great. But I recommend people to rather keep the Bible statements. :)

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

…the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

...No one is good, except one-God.
Luke 18:19

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

Don't you know that you are a temple of God, and that God's Spirit lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.
John 14:10-14

Upvote 0