What is your patron saint and why did you chose him/her?

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a convert to Orthodoxy from the Anglican Church I was raised in. My parents gave me the name John. It wasn't until I became involved with the Orthodox Church through my wife that I learned that my birthday is on the feast day of the beheading of St John the Forerunner and Baptist. That kind of sealed the deal for me, that my parents named me John without having any knowledge of the significance of the day on which I was born.

I think it might have been an honest mistake the woman in your parish made. I don't believe someone would deliberately lie about something like that.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St. Laura of Córdoba both because of my name and because she is a western saint. I come from a western background - and she was Orthodox and was from the west.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
St Edward the Martyr
My name is Edward and St Edward the Martyr's relics were translated into the Church on my birthday.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I realized the examples of my grandmothers’ Christian faith helped me find faith. My one grandmother was Orthodox & Syrian (did not know her) & the other Methodist & Welsh. I felt Orthodox St. David of Wales somehow helped complete my faith journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of arguing with the heterodox, St Constantine.

I was sixteen when I converted and saw Constantine as a unify-er who is largely misunderstood and demonized by the West. I think in my teenage angst I felt like I wasn't understood by the largely Protestant culture around us; still don't. I also liked that he did what he could to unify and improve the empire.

Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do we determine who is our patron saint?

I'm not Orthodox, but I've been sort of discerning between EO and RC, and I have felt an affection towards a few saints over the past few years: St. Therese of Liseux, St. Mary of Egypt in particular. I took a recent interest in Father Seraphim Rose, but I know he isn't canonized.

I guess because I am Western, it feels strange going for a EO saint of Greek or Russian origin.

Testimonies I've seen seem to have people's patron saints correlating with their ethnicity, location, and church institution as well. Like I doubt St. Paisios would appear to me, a heterodox woman from the USA, but I have heard a guy from Greece talk of being converted and helped personally by him.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm not Orthodox, but I've been sort of discerning between EO and RC, and I have felt an affection towards a few saints over the past few years: St. Therese of Liseux, St. Mary of Egypt in particular. I took a recent interest in Father Seraphim Rose, but I know he isn't canonized.

I guess because I am Western, it feels strange going for a EO saint of Greek or Russian origin.

Testimonies I've seen seem to have people's patron saints correlating with their ethnicity, location, and church institution as well. Like I doubt St. Paisios would appear to me, a heterodox woman from the USA, but I have heard a guy from Greece talk of being converted and helped personally by him.
No really, my American friend took St. Porphyrios as a Saint.

Reactions: obscura
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

pray and talk to your priest. but just because you have one patron, that doesn't mean you can't be close to other saints.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'd just like to add that you certainly can have a patron Saint of any ethnicity. I'm of Italian, and Slovak decent, and St. Symeon the New Theologian is my patron Saint.

Of course as Fr. Matt said be sure to ask your priest as he can always advise you best.

Reactions: obscura
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd just like to add that you certainly can have a patron Saint of any ethnicity. I'm of Italian, and Slovak decent, and St. Symeon the New Theologian is my patron Saint.

Of course as Fr. Matt said be sure to ask your priest as he can always advise you best.
Agreed on all counts. Do talk to a priest / your priest, but this is absolutely true. You don't have to look like or speak the same language as your patron saint.

I'm not even sure about my patron's ethnicity but it certainly isn't like mine. This is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Testimonies I've seen seem to have people's patron saints correlating with their ethnicity, location, and church institution as well...
There are pre-schism western Saints or those that are venerated in both the east and west.
The Celtic Saints would be one example.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are pre-schism western Saints or those that are venerated in both the east and west.
The Celtic Saints would be one example.
You beat me to it. And my Antiochian church has six stained glass windows. At least two of the six portray Western saints (St. Patrick of Ireland and St. Rupert of Austria).

@obscura Remember that in olden days there was no telephone, no internet, so information about saints could often be local information for a long time. So people would usually know most about the saints in their region. But the more you read the lives of saints the more you realize we're all in it together, regardless of ethnicity. I myself am (for better or worse) thoroughly Western, but I find I will relate more to some little known saint on the other side of the world 1,000 years ago than I relate to some heathen American people I know. :)

Here are lists of some Western saints, but the lists are incomplete. There are more.

Category:Pre-Schism Western Saints - OrthodoxWiki
THE ORTHODOX SAINTS OF WESTERN EUROPE

Last edited:
Upvote 0