What is your opinion on whether Judaism is an old or new religion?

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • “Judaism” is just that "a religion."
  • Designed by G-d.
  • To be precursor to weaning mankind off of all religions.
  • And to have a relationship with G-d through his Son Yeshua Jesus the Branch.
Jeremiah 31:31–34 (KJV)
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

• Yeshua Jesus is Yahweh (John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16 / Isaiah 44:24)
  • Also John 8:58 / Exodus 3:14–15
  • Isaiah 7:14 G-d with us
  • Isaiah 9:6 the everlasting Abba
  • Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12
  • Deuteronomy 18:15–18
  • Micah 5:2
  • Psalm 22 / Zechariah 12:10
  • Genesis 3:15
351-old-testament-prophecies-fulfilled-in-jesus-christ/

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a religion, you belong because you believe,

in Judaism you believe because you belong.

In Judaism today there is nothing they offer to believe. Its strictly cultural.
Before the church age began Judaism had many OT regenerated believers.

In religion you belong because what it tells you to believe appeals to your way of thinking.

On the other hand. Christianity is not religion.

In Christianity you will find yourself belonging because the Holy Spirit baptized you into the body of Christ when believing in Christ alone.

Sadly... Christians who are ruled by their emotions seek out religion and will fail to live the spiritual life designed by God for the goal of maturity in Christ.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Judaism is a religion by definition and a covenant forever.
By definition of whom?
Judaism was not a religion. There are many religions.

Many still fail to understand what the Scriptures say is a good religion. There is only one legitimate form of religion that the Bible accepts.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans
and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27​

Human thinking has corrupted its meaning. Christianity when properly lived is not a religion. Its God's Way to finding God's power to think and live in a living relationship with God, which is by His grace....

I do not expect all to agree with me. Too many are religious and do not know it.

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christianity is what Judaism was supposed to become.

Breaking away from the Old Covenant:

31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
  • the covenant was to be made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah
  • is not according to Torah Moshe / the Law of Moses which was broken
  • the Torah Moshiakh / Law of Messiah "MY law" will be placed in the hearts of those in this covenant (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • making God our God (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • and we his people (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • (unlike Torah Moshe) the identity of YHVH Elohiym / the LORD God will be revealed (to be Jesus)
  • all will be equal in this covenant from the least to the greatest (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • And YHVH will forgive all our iniquity and remember our sin no more (unlike Torah Moshe)
It is unwise to cling to Torah Moshe as a forever covenant when clearly it is depended upon all parties not breaking the covenant. Verse 32 explicitly indicates that Torah Moshe was broken by the people.
Thus the Law of Moses which they cling to (which condemns the world of all sin) actually condemns them.

2 Corinthians 3:6 (KJV)
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The letter of the law versus the spirit of the law:

Galatians 3:24–28 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
By definition of whom?
Judaism was not a religion. There are many religions.

Many still fail to understand what the Scriptures say is a good religion. There is only one legitimate form of religion that the Bible accepts.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans
and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27​

Human thinking has corrupted its meaning. Christianity when properly lived is not a religion. Its God's Way to finding God's power to think and live in a living relationship with God, which is by His grace....

I do not expect all to agree with me. Too many are religious and do not know it.
By dictionary definition:

religion​

[ ri-lij-uhn ]SHOW IPA
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion;the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
---

When Judaism is properly lived, it involves looking after orphans and widows in their distress and keeping oneself from being polluted by the world, so it is also a religion according to James 1:27. Furthermore, the fact that Judaism is God's Way to finding God's power to think and live in a living relationship with God, which is by His grace does not mean that it is not also a religion, but the fact that it is that means that it is a religion. The concept that we can have a relationship with God is inherently religious.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is what Judaism was supposed to become.

Breaking away from the Old Covenant:

• the covenant was to be made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah
  • is not according to Torah Moshe / the Law of Moses which was broken
  • the Torah Moshiakh / Law of Messiah "MY law" will be placed in the hearts of those in this covenant (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • making God our God (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • and we his people (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • (unlike Torah Moshe) the identity of YHVH Elohiym / the LORD God will be revealed (to be Jesus)
  • all will be equal in this covenant from the least to the greatest (unlike Torah Moshe)
  • And YHVH will forgive all our iniquity and remember our sin no more (unlike Torah Moshe)
It is unwise to cling to Torah Moshe as a forever covenant when clearly it is depended upon all parties not breaking the covenant. Verse 32 explicitly indicates that Torah Moshe was broken by the people.
Thus the Law of Moses which they cling to (which condemns the world of all sin) actually condemns them.
In Deuteronomy 30:1-10, it prophesies about a time when the Israelites would return from exile, God would circumcise their hearts, and they would return to obedience to the Torah. In Ezekiel 36:26-27 and Jeremiah 31:33, they are speaking in regard to the New Covenant and the Israelite returning from exile and describe God as circumcising our hearts by means of the Spirit, where God will take away our hearts of stone, give us hearts of flesh, and send His spirit to lead us in obedience to the Torah, and where he will write the Torah on our hearts. Im Romans 2:25-29, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to the Torah, which is the same way to tell for a Jew, and circumcision of the heart is a matter of the Spirit, which is in contrast with Acts 7:51-53, where those who have uncircumcised hearts resist the Spirit and do not obey the Torah. So the New Covenant is all about the Israelites returning to obedience to the Torah, which is also in accordance with the promise and the Gospel of the Kingdom.

In Jeremiah 31:32, it does not say that the New Covenant is not according to the Torah, but that it is not according to the covenant that God made with their fathers, As Hebrews 8:6-13 explains, the way that the New Covenant is not like the Mosaic Covenant is regard to it being based on better promises and have a superior mediator, however, the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts, so that is not one of the ways that the covenants are not like each other.

In Matthew 4:17-23, Messiah began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God, and the Torah was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message. Furthermore, Messiah set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Torah, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Messiah are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), so he spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Torah of Moses by word and by example, which means that it is also the Torah of Messiah. The same God commanded the Torah of Moses and the Torah of Messiah, so again there is no disagreement.

All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so it is unwise to reject the wisdom of God expressed by them by not clinging to them.

2 Corinthians 3:6 (KJV)
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The letter of the law versus the spirit of the law:
There are many verses that say that the New Covenant involves following the Torah, that obedience to it brings life, and that the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it, so if we are to reconcile those verses with 2 Corinthians 3:6, then we shouldn't understand obeying the letter of the law as referring to correctly obeying what God has instructed. If correctly obeying what God has instructed leads to death, then God is misleading us and we therefore shouldn't have faith in Him.

Galatians 3:24–28 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Someone who disregarded everything that their schoolmaster taught them after they graduated would be missing the whole point of a schoolmaster. Someone does not move on to algebra by disregarding everything that they were taught about addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but rather their new teacher builds upon what they were previously taught. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Torah leads us to Christ because it was given to teach us how to know him, which is eternal life (John 17:3), but it does not lead us to Christ so that we can then reject everything that he taught and go back to living in sin.

Furthermore, in Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God, through faith, in Christ, being children of Abraham, and heirs to the promise is directly connected to living in obedience to the Torah. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Torah are not children of God. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Torah. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him. In Genesis 18:19, Genesis 26:4-5, and Deuteronomy 30:16, the promise was made to Abraham because he walked in God's way in obedience to the Torah, he taught his children to do that, and because his children did that. So the way that the nations are blessed and the children of Abraham are multiplied in accordance with the promise is by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to walk in God's way in obedience to the Torah (Acts 3:25-26), which is in accordance with the Gospel that was made known in advance to Abraham in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8), and which he taught to Gentiles living in Haran in accordance with the promise (Genesis 12:1-5).

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By dictionary definition:

religion​

[ ri-lij-uhn ]SHOW IPA
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion;the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
---

When Judaism is properly lived, it involves looking after orphans and widows in their distress and keeping oneself from being polluted by the world, so it is also a religion according to James 1:27. Furthermore, the fact that Judaism is God's Way to finding God's power to think and live in a living relationship with God, which is by His grace does not mean that it is not also a religion, but the fact that it is that means that it is a religion. The concept that we can have a relationship with God is inherently religious.
You used a human viewpoint opinion - a dictionary that will define words according to commonly accepted notions. Words have changed definitions in dictionaries as common word usage changes.

In contrast? I used the Bible to define what is an acceptable religion to God.

Those who are the kind of mind that seeks religion will be confounded by its real meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You used a human viewpoint opinion - a dictionary that will define words according to commonly accepted notions. Words have changed definitions in dictionaries as common word usage changes.

In contrast? I used the Bible to define what is an acceptable religion to God.

Those who are the kind of mind that seeks religion will be confounded by its real meaning.
We speak English and need to use words with commonly accepted notions in order to communicate. Furthermore, James 1:27 is in accordance with those notions and Judaism/Christianity are also religions according to that verse. In contrast, you have rejected both the common usage and how the Bible describes religion by claiming that Judaism/Christianity are not religions.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We speak English and need to use words with commonly accepted notions in order to communicate. Furthermore, James 1:27 is in accordance with those notions and Judaism/Christianity are also religions according to that verse. In contrast, you have rejected both the common usage and how the Bible describes religion by claiming that Judaism/Christianity are not religions.

James 1:27 is God's Word. Not Judaism. The Law of Moses was Judaism.

We must rightly divide the Word of God to avoid being ashamed before the Lord. James 1:27 is the Word of God.

In contrast, you have rejected both the common usage and how the Bible describes religion by claiming that Judaism/Christianity are not religions.

Having a living spiritual relationship with the Father through Christ is not a religion. Its a relationship. When some fail to discover this living relationship? To not feel left out they will try to turn Christianity into a religion out of ignorance of the truth.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
James 1:27 is God's Word. Not Judaism. The Law of Moses was Judaism.

We must rightly divide the Word of God to avoid being ashamed before the Lord. James 1:27 is the Word of God.
The fact that James 1:27 is God's word does not mean that it is not Judaism because Judaism teach to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. It continues to be my universal experience that everyone who emphasizes the need to rightly divide the word of truth wrongly divides it.

Having a living spiritual relationship with the Father through Christ is not a religion. Its a relationship. When some fail to discover this living relationship they will try to turn Christianity into a religion out of ignorance of the truth.

The fact that Judaism teaches how to have a relationship with God does not mean that it is not also a religion, but rather the concept that we can have a relationship with God is inherently religious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fact that James 1:27 is God's word does not mean that it is not Judaism because Judaism teach to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. It continues to be my universal experience that everyone who emphasizes the need to rightly divide the word of truth wrongly divides it.
James 1:27 is NT.. for the church to learn from. It was written to the church.

The fact that Judaism teaches how to have a relationship with God does not mean that it is not also a religion, but rather the concept that we can have a relationship with God is inherently religious.

Religion teaches having a relationship with God by means of performing works.
Christianity teaches that we already have a relationship with the Father because Jesus did the work!
Christianity teaches that growing in knowledge in grace deepens our understanding of that walk with God.
Works never can deepen one's understanding.

The religious Christian may grow in self satisfaction.. but, never in understanding what the Christian who walks in grace and truth knows.

And, I must add. The religious Christian can not comprehend the spiritual Christian who walks in grace and truth. He may think he knows. But, he can not.
"But He gives greater grace. Therefore it says: "God opposes the proud,
but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6​

It says that God opposes the proud believer. Religious believers are proud, walking in pride, not the Spirit.

grace and peace ..............

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are many verses that say that the New Covenant involves following the Torah, that obedience to it brings life, and that the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it, so if we are to reconcile those verses with 2 Corinthians 3:6, then we shouldn't understand obeying the letter of the law as referring to correctly obeying what God has instructed. If correctly obeying what God has instructed leads to death, then God is misleading us and we therefore shouldn't have faith in Him.
And the only way to keep the Law perfectly is:

Romans 3:31 (KJV)
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
And the only way to keep the Law perfectly is:

Romans 3:31 (KJV)
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
Nothing that I said in my post had anything to do with keeping God's law perfectly, nor does Romans 3:31 say anything about keeping it perfectly, but rather the same faith by which we are justified also upholds God's law by leading us to obey it. While it is true that Abraham believed God, so he was justified (Genesis 15:6), it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac (Hebrews 11:17), so the same faith by which he was justified was also expressed as obedience to God, but he did not earn his justification by his obedience as a wage (Romans 4:1-5).

God's law came with instructions for what to do when the people sinned, so there was never a requirement for us to keep it perfectly and there nothing that we do not earn as a wage if we do not keep it perfectly. Repentance doesn't change the fact that we have not kept God's law perfectly, so the fact that repentance has value means that we don't need to keep it perfectly, and the consistent message of the prophets was the call for repentance, not for perfect obedience. In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that God's law is not too difficult to obey and that obedience brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as the need for perfect obedience. Furthermore, while only Jesus kept God's law perfectly, there are many others who are recorded as keeping God's law, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
James 1:27 is NT.. for the church to learn from. It was written to the church.
James was addressed to the 12 tribes (James 1:1), though something being addressed to the church does not mean that it does not teach Judaism, especially because Christianity is a sect of Judaism (Acts 24:14), and because "ekklesia" is translated as "church" and is used in the Septuagint to refer to Israel in the wilderness.

Religion teaches having a relationship with God by means of performing works.
Christianity teaches that we already have a relationship with the Father because Jesus did the work!
Christianity teaches that growing in knowledge in grace deepens our understanding of that walk with God.
Works never can deepen one's understanding.
Please quote a definition of "religion" from either a dictionary or the Bible that says religion teaches that having a relationship with God by means of performing works and quote where the Bible teaches that we already have a relationship with the Father because Jesus did all of the work.

The Mosaic Covenant is often described in terms of being a marriage between God and Israel, so the Mosaic Law is His instructions for how to have an intimate relationship with Him. The Hebrew word "yada" refers to intimate or relational knowledge gained through experience, such as in Genesis 4:1, where Adam knew (yada) Eve, she conceived, and gave birth to Cain. Im Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he might know (yada) Him and Israel too, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3). Moreover, in Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, and in Psalms 119:142, the Mosaic Law is truth, so obedience to it is the way to walk in grace and truth.

The religious Christian may grow in self satisfaction.. but, never in understanding what the Christian who walks in grace and truth knows.
Religious believers are proud, walking in pride, not the Spirit.
Please quote from where a dictionary or the Bible says either of those things. You appear to be rejecting the concept of what it means to be religious that is derived from a dictionary and from the Bible in favor using a concept of religious that is not derived from either a dictionary or from the Bible.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please quote from where a dictionary or the Bible says either of those things. You appear to be rejecting the concept of what it means to be religious that is derived from a dictionary and from the Bible in favor using a concept of religious that is not derived from either a dictionary or from the Bible.
Maybe this will help you better understand....
Is Christianity a religion or a relationship? | GotQuestions.org

grace and peace ..................

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing that I said in my post had anything to do with keeping God's law perfectly, nor does Romans 3:31 say anything about keeping it perfectly
Ah, but I cut to the chase about keeping the law:

James 2:10 (KJV)
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

And Romans 3:31 absolutely does speak to keeping the law / fulfilling it to the letter / keeping it perfectly
by our faith in Jesus:

Galatians 3:24–25 (KJV)

It could not be more clear.

Neither can this be more clear:

Ephesians 2:8–10 (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Bringing law into grace is a major no no according to the Apostle Paul.

Upvote 0