Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ummm...you forgot the winky smiley. Unless you were serious...

You can't be serious...?
Me likey eye candy.

Many things go BOOM! :thumbsup:

Thing is, I don't look to movies for good stories, that way I'm not disappointed. Movies for me are mindless entertainment. Shiny and sparkly, devoid of substance. I'm a reader and devoured the shorts and novels of Asimov, Clark, Heinlein etc. in my youth. Hollywood crap just doesn't compare - even when its based on the work of the Masters.

Asking wich movie is best is like asking which burger chain is best. I prefer Steak & Lobster.

JMHO

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Me likey eye candy.

Many things go BOOM! :thumbsup:

Thing is, I don't look to movies for good stories, that way I'm not disappointed. Movies for me are mindless entertainment. Shiny and sparkly. I'm a reader and devoured the shorts and novels of Asimov, Clark, Heinlein etc. in my youth. Hollywood crap just doesn't compare - even when its based on the work of the Masters.

IMHO
*chuckle

Fair enough. I did watch it again a few years after my first exposure (which I paid for...in the theater. I wanted THAT 90 minutes of my life back, never mind the cash.), and with the judicious application of large quantities of natural mind-altering compounds, I found I could ignore the giant, mind-numbingly obvious plot holes and enjoy the movie. At least up until they upload a UNIX based virus into an alien computer. Good thing they used TCP/IP, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PoundingMetal

Apr 18, 2007
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
without a doubt SERENITY

Absolutely agreed. Definitely need to continue that saga with 5, 10, 50 more movies! The whole Firefly series was with with no doubt in my mind the best TV show ever. Not just Sci-Fi.

Down the line (not in order)

Alien series
Gattica
The Abyss
Contact
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Dreamscape
Galaxy Quest
Slither
Ghostbusters
Stargate
Star Wars
Star Trek

Wow, I just realized I like Sci-Fi more than I thought I did.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
While Alien and Aliens are both excellent, the series plunges downhill with the third
film.
I disagree totally. Aliens was a gross departure from the horror into a slick action flick (quick side note: With the sole exception of The Terminator, it seems that everything Cameron touches turns to fecal material) The third installment attempted to bring it back to its home, but didn't do a very good job. Resurrection lacked a bit on the story side, but the visual ambience, superb acting, and tight direction put it firmly into second place behind Alien.

Not that I have any firm opinions on the matter or anything...;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Alien and Aliens are two very different films which both just happen to occupy the same franchise. If you take Aliens for what it is, an action flick set in space with monsters and lots of explosions then it's a fine film (perhaps 'excellent' was a bit of an exaggeration). But the 3rd film just doesn't know what it wants to be and in the end it's an unsatisfactory experience. At least the 2nd film can be enjoyed on at least one level, the 3rd film doesn't know what level it wants to be on.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Alien and Aliens are two very different films which both just happen to occupy the same franchise. If you take Aliens for what it is, an action flick set in space with monsters and lots of explosions then it's a fine film (perhaps 'excellent' was a bit of an exaggeration). But the 3rd film just doesn't know what it wants to be and in the end it's an unsatisfactory experience. At least the 2nd film can be enjoyed on at least one level, the 3rd film doesn't know what level it wants to be on.
I agree with you on the third film, but the fourth does a pretty good job. At least up until the weird hybrid thing enters the picture. Weaver does a fantastic job moving her body in a manner that imitates the alien's lithe grace. The scenery really takes it back to the original. The acting is good with the sole exception of the head scientist that does the running monologue when the hybrid is born.

Upvote 0