• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is your education level?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by badatusernames, Jan 1, 2018.

What is your highest level of education completed?

1. Some High School

2. High School/GED

3. Some College

4. Associate's Degree

5. Bachelor's

6. Some Grad School

7. Master's

8. Doctorate-level (PhD/MD/DDS/JD/etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. badatusernames

badatusernames Member

+145
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I am just curious what the average education level is on this site, so I decided to make a poll. In the comments feel free to expand if it what type of education.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Introverted1293

Introverted1293 Left CF Supporter

+2,890
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    But I will be going to school in January 3rd. I will be studying for my AA degree.

3. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover CF Ambassadors Supporter

+4,789
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Well, I have some college, but when I say some I mean I went for a four year degree and have more than enough credits for an associate's but failed to complete my bachelor's so I put some college ( even though usually that tends to mean that the person did not earn enough college credits for a degree at all.

4. Hearingheart

Hearingheart Well-Known Member

+875
    United States
    Seeker
    Married
    Well, I went beyond a Bachelor's degree (not saying how beyond) and I would rather not know how much formal education a person has when I'm speaking with them. Having a piece of paper or taking a class doesn't mean one knows any more than those who have not taken that road.

5. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+5,129
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I'm a J.D., but I would not consider it the equivalent of a doctorate. It's a bit lower.

6. frettr00

frettr00 Finding peace where I am

+276
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Bachelor's degree, but I never got a better job from it so I feel like I wasted my time and money on it. It's my own fault.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+3,173
    Christian
    Married
    I don't know how to answer it really. I was homeschooled and finished "high school" so to speak. But I did have a certificate for Microsoft Office. And while I don't have any degrees, I do know alot thanks to the much deeper education I got being homeschooled. Granted a company is only going to care about an actual piece of paper saying I have a degree. Which is hard when you know more then "degreed" people and yet they get hired over a piece of paper.

8. Humble me Lord

Humble me Lord Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,152
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I grajeated the 3rd grade, wher I lurnt to cipher numbers.

But seriously, glad I never wasted money on college. I make a comfortable living and have to be outside, not behind a desk.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Antig

Antig Active Member

+271
    Ireland
    Christian
    Single
    Abacus level....

10. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Well-Known Member Supporter

+846
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I flunked out of the third grade and never looked back. Public education is more like indoctrination. I now have a doctorate in streets smart and common sense...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Rubiks

Rubiks proud libtard

+2,182
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Currently in my senior year of college getting a Computer Science degree :oldthumbsup:

12. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,363
    Lutheran
    Married
    M.S. - Mechanical Engineering (1989)
    M.A. - History (2017)

13. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,858
    Atheist
    Married
    M.D. But I don't have a bachelor's degree. Back in the 70s, most med schools required applicants only to have completed something like 90 credit hours of college, which must include pre-med courses like biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, and physics. Which I had done. So I applied mid-way through my junior year of college, and was accepted to the class starting in the fall. Officially, I'm considered a college drop-out. But I saved a year of my life (medical training is already long enough.) And--even though education wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now--I saved a fair amount of money.

14. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+9,062
    Protestant
    Married
    I don't understand the impetus to premed. Medical school is long enough as is, and does it really change anything? It doesn't seem as if premed need be anything medically related, so why on earth do it?

My country doesn't expect a premed. We have six years of medical school, followed by a 2 year internship and 2 year community service. So it takes 10 years to be registered as a plain general practitioner or medical officer. The first two years of medical school partially incorporates study of Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Sociology in general and a little Greek and Latin for medical nomenclature though.

I hold an MBChB which is roughly equivalent of an MD, and I am registered to practice Medicine as such in Canada. I have an additional qualification in Anaesthesia, although I am still in the process of becoming a full fellow of the College, which entails doing an MMed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. Shadow

Shadow Active Member Supporter

+390
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Private
    Voted Bachelor's Degree. Its a pleasant surprise to see a few Masters and PHDs on the Poll.

16. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,581
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    BS in engineering (Mich State) plus several other certs (progressive die design, ArcMap GIS)

17. jardiniere

jardiniere Well-Known Member

+546
    Pantheist
    BS in Zoology. Though I actually just became an artist, rather than moving into systemics. Not that the degree was wasted, I became a science illustrator.

18. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,363
    Lutheran
    Married
    Interesting. I didn't know that. Things have changed I guess. When I first started working, there were engineers without college degrees as well.

Honestly, part of it is a way to make money. And it's a way to employ people whose knowledge isn't otherwise all that useful (which is not as derogatory a comment as it probably appears to be).

But, there are some reasons - even if it's gotten a little extreme (my son is trying to push through nursing school right now). In my engineering program the professors were pretty honest that the entry-level courses were intended to test your mettle more than teach anything. They weren't going to be bothered with people who couldn't prove they could make it.

So, it fosters growth and maturity. It teaches a work ethic and learning habits that too many people don't get from primary and high school. If you use the time wisely (taking classes that actually apply to medicine) it introduces you to the paradigm of your future profession. As much as people seem to think the scientific method is some grand, all-encompassing, answers-to-all-problems entity, each profession built on the scientific foundation has its own paradigm for solving problems.

My son makes frequent comments that I need to stop approaching biology like an engineer.

19. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+9,062
    Protestant
    Married
    Well, to be fair, Modern Medicine functions by Evidence Based Medicine (EBM). EBM is arguably not scientific at all, although a form of Empiricism. This is largely forced by the nature of Medical Ethics, that studies with negative outcomes can never be ethically repeated, and thus all are treated as non-falsifiable. Each study is treated as a non-repeatable piece of data. The studies are then given different Evidence classes, essentially graded as to worth, and plugged into arcane statistical analyses to determine which conclusion should be given more weight and has a better confidence interval - thus which result can then be treated as best practice. In the classic Popper-style paradigm, EBM is non-falsiable, non-repeatable and this is in fact why it is called Evidence-Based and not Scientific Medicine. My medical school always said Medicine was more of an art than a science.

Here is an interesting piece on it. I also have some articles from the AMA on the difference between Science and Medicine if you are interested.

Medicine: Science or Art?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,363
    Lutheran
    Married
    I only skimmed it, but the link has some interesting information. In the end I would agree with their statement that it is both art and science. I tend to fight for the middle with engineering as well. In my engineering career I have worked projects that definitely applied the scientific method - researched new ideas - formed new theories. But not everything is science. For example, history is not science.

In that regard, medicine is a better example, and your link bears it out. Researching a new drug would, IMO, count as science. But the effect of a good bedside manner on the patient and the best 'method' for employing it is an art.