• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

What is your background?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Gideon4God, Mar 11, 2003.

What group do you belong to?

1. Eastern Orthodox

2. Western Orthodox

3. Anglican

4. Catholic

5. Coptic

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon4God

Gideon4God Regular Member

+1
    Other Religion
    Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Western Orthodox, Latin Catholic or Copitc?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. The Squalid Wanderer

The Squalid Wanderer The Fool

+2
    Anglican
    Not sure what you intend by background. I was raised Pentacostal (Assemblies of God), currently attend a Presbyterian Church (Presbyterian Church in America), want to attend an Eastern Orthodox Church (Orthodox Church in America), and am interested in Western Orthodoxy but am troubled by the sparsity of parishes and lack of seminary support.

Given that, perhaps you could let me know what to mark for my background.

3. Gideon4God

Gideon4God Regular Member

+1
    Other Religion
    What Church do you belong to...sorry I wasn't clear on the question.

Did you say you are Catholic but attend a reformed Church and your looking into Orthodoxy? Wow

4. The Squalid Wanderer

+2
    Anglican
    Raised: Pentecostal (Assemblies of God

Current membership: Presbyterian (Presbyterian Church in America)

Want to attend: Eastern Orthodox (Orthodox Church in America)

Am interested in (but with concerns about viability): Western Orthodoxy

5. The Squalid Wanderer

+2
    Anglican
    I voted Western Orthodoxy. It's not my actual background or even my current church, but it's what I would attend if I was free to choose.

6. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Western Orthodox, but in the Antiochian Patriarchate, under Metropolitan Philip and Bishop Basil. I'm a convert from having no religion. My church is St. Columba, and we use the St. Tikhon liturgy.

We are lucky enough to have 3 Western Rite churches in the Denver-Boulder area, along with plenty of Eastern Rite, (Greek, Antiochian, and OCA) Most of the people in my church are refugees from the Episcopal Church.

Bishop Basil is a great supporter of Western Rite, and hopefully the long term outlook is positive. We think so anyway.

7. Angelus00

Angelus00 Regular Member

+20
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Brewmama? I'm sure this has been covered over and over again, but, umm, what's "western orthodox"?

Thanks in advance

8. The Squalid Wanderer

+2
    Anglican
    http://www.westernorthodox.com/

Lots of information on that site.

Here in the United States, the most common form is a modified Anglican liturgy:
    You can read the rest here: http://www.westernorthodox.com/westintro.htm. You'll also find many informative articles at the bottom of that page as well.

I believe in Europe Western Rite utilizes a translated and modified version of the pre-Vatican II liturgy, although you would probably not find this to be strict, as I am sure that there is some usage of the Roman liturgy here in the US and there are probably some examples of Anglican usage in Europe, most likely in England.

9. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Thanks Squalid Wanderer. I couldn't get that second link to work though.

10. The Squalid Wanderer

+2
    Anglican
    It's from the same website as the first link, just look on the left hand column and click on "The Orthodox Western Rite".

11. Moros

Moros Well-Known Member

+422
    Buddhist
    Single
    OCA.

12. Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Andrew Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.

+161
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My background is really nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.