Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's funny, because I know people that are Atheist. That are good people, very compassionated and full of morals. I know Christians, that aren't moral people at all. Raised their kids, their kids are still Christians, but aren't good people.
But how many of them give up their lives in this world for the Love of God and Love of others? There is no greater Love than this, and it is precisely this Love - and this Love only - that can keep this world from becoming hell on earth. This kind of Love can exist only in those who believe God's promise of Eternal Life. Christians that aren't moral people at all are not really Christians at all, are they?

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe, but I am not perfect. I have a problem with cursing, anger against other people, and I am not married to my bf and we live together for financial reasons ( we are planning on marriage though eventually if everything works out). Anyway I do a lot that's not good too and I wish i was better but still this other stuff bothers me.

I woke up in the middle of the night and kept replaying that awful show in my head that my bf watched and i had to get up (like someone suggested) and leave the room. It kept upsetting me over and over again.

I've been working on positive affirmations and not letting stuff get me upset but still very difficult.

I kinda wanted to illustrate what I'm talking about so u guys understand me better. This adult swim show was poking fun at the literal game of Life but it wasn't funny at all just very depressing again making me nearly cry. It was ridiculous at first as the characters are all pegs like the board game, but the themes we're awful. Show the main character a girl happy then getting rej from college and in the background there's singing and mocking music, then it shows her stuck at a fast food Job cause she couldn't get into college, then she nearly loses her job so she has an affair with her boss to keep her job accidentally gets pregnant has 4 kids and her husband is her boss and is an abusive alcoholic who beats her while all 4 kids watch. Then u hear a gunshot at the end of the fight and they show she shot her husband. The entire time there is singing in the show.

How in the world is this funny! Anybody in their right mind can't think domestic violence, murder, child neglect, poverty, and sexual harassment are funny. Doesn't matter if the characters are cartoons or whatever the themes are clearly not funny.

This is why I get upset.

Most of the kind of comedy you're talking about is intended to shine a light on things in society or aspects of characters or stereotypes and poke fun at their silliness or hypocrisy. If a comedian makes a joke about rape or child death, they're not celebrating those things, they're trying to make the audience confront their own preconceptions and the way society treats those issues.

Sometimes (using the example of Celebrity Deathmatch for instance) the idea is both to poke fun at the stereotype of that celebrity and mix in some whimsy.

There are programs and comedy that just glorify violence or which most people would call morally detestable, but those shows rarely succeed. Even in something hyper violent like Sons of Anarchy or Walking Dead the themes that compel people to watch are the ones about positive human morals and feelings, even if those are not always clear.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
of the kind of comedy you're talking about is intended to shine a light on things in society or aspects of characters or stereotypes and poke fun at their silliness or hypocrisy. If a comedian makes a joke about rape or child death, they're not celebrating those things, they're trying to make the audience confront their own preconceptions and the way society treats those issues.
There is an old saying about that:

If you can keep them laughing, you can bash them in the teeth as hard as you want and not break their lips.

Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The problem with society is that society is made up of human beings and human beings are complicated messy creatures. That's always been the case and will continue to be the case.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay I have been "weird" since I was little. As I've grown up I've come to feel like society is weird and the world is crazy. Can somebody please explain this?

So I don't find violence drugs or crude sex jokes all that funny a lot of adult swim stuff and things other people find funny really really upsets me. My bf says I'm too sensitive but I get so disturbed by things like stuff on YouTube and things people find funny make me angry or outraged.

Why do so many people find violence, adult swim, celebrity death match, dark humor funny? Whereas I get upset to the point of tears or fighting with people who laugh.

Because people have different likes and dislikes. If you don't like something on television, certain music, fine. But why does it bother you so much what other people find interesting or funny? It's not affecting you at all. Arguing with someone to where you're in tears? Outraged?

That's not healthy. Pick your battles. Getting professional help wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Understandable, I can imagine that there are many things on sites like this that are incomprehensible to you. It takes a personal relationship with Christ to understand, for they are spiritually discerned. Ask Jesus to open your eyes and He will gladly help.

Best wishes in Christ, Not me

Well I am a Christian and I agree with Par. I don't cut myself off from the world. It's not healthy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums