✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
QUOTATION: The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Cite: 195. Socrates (469-399 B.C.). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989

BTW, ever heard of the Colosseum? Public executions? Bread and circuses, man, bread and circuses.

GET OFF MY LAWN.

Okay okay good points public executions kinda says it all. The heart of man is desperately wicked who could know it... Speaks to me though.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Okay I have been "weird" since I was little. As I've grown up I've come to feel like society is weird and the world is crazy. Can somebody please explain this?

So I don't find violence drugs or crude sex jokes all that funny a lot of adult swim stuff and things other people find funny really really upsets me. My bf says I'm too sensitive but I get so disturbed by things like stuff on YouTube and things people find funny make me angry or outraged.

Why do so many people find violence, adult swim, celebrity death match, dark humor funny? Whereas I get upset to the point of tears or fighting with people who laugh.
People are always seeking novel ways to ease their sense of discontentment/suffering (or, from the other side of the same coin: to increase their sense of pleasure).

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Okay I have been "weird" since I was little. As I've grown up I've come to feel like society is weird and the world is crazy. Can somebody please explain this?

So I don't find violence drugs or crude sex jokes all that funny a lot of adult swim stuff and things other people find funny really really upsets me. My bf says I'm too sensitive but I get so disturbed by things like stuff on YouTube and things people find funny make me angry or outraged.

Why do so many people find violence, adult swim, celebrity death match, dark humor funny? Whereas I get upset to the point of tears or fighting with people who laugh.
Most people don't find violence, drugs or crude sex jokes funny. If you associate with people who find those things amusing, then change your associates. As for a lot of the dross, disguised as entertainment, put out by the television companies, don't watch it. You appear to focus your life on very negative things to the point that you are living one big guilt trip.
I take it you and your boyfriend are young people and you say you plan to get married. Well my advice, for what it is worth, is for you not to get married while you carry this burden of guilt about life on your shoulders. You should be excited about the future, planning your life together, thinking about making a home, having children, caring for one another. If you were to take your present attitude into a marriage, that marriage wouldn't last a wet weekend.
Sure, you can see lots of unpleasant things going on in life and most people recognize the problems they bring, but most of those unpleasant things can only affect you if you let them. You have your life ahead of you and believe me when I say that you can find lots of good and positive things to do that are a million miles away from violence, drugs and inane TV shows.
You and your boyfriend need to start discussing things you can do together that will give you both genuine happiness. Giving up watching crap TV shows would be a small but positive step in the right direction.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It’s something I had to come to grips with. Seeing how I had a spiritual birth (birth of the Son of God in my innermost being). My value system was changed. Those things that the world enjoyed I
found detestable. I found that the only people I was comfortable with was those that had a living relationship with Christ Jesus themselves. So it sounds like your in good shape!

Love in Christ, Not me
I am curious to know what it was that you used to do that you now find to be so detestable. What values do you now hold that you didn't hold before?

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why?

In Christ, Not me
Because I
Why?

In Christ, Not me
I am curious as to why you feel it is necessary to cut yourself off from the world and only feel comfortable around other Christians? What things were you doing before that you now consider detestable? Detestable is a very strong word.
Perhaps my values are different than yours, but the things that I find harmful and objectionable in life, I steer clear of them without feeling the need to cut myself off from the rest of the world.
I see lots of Christian posters here who display the same attitude as yourself about the world we live in and I think it is a very negative attitude. A bit too self-righteous for me.

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because I

I am curious as to why you feel it is necessary to cut yourself off from the world and only feel comfortable around other Christians? What things were you doing before that you now consider detestable? Detestable is a very strong word.
Perhaps my values are different than yours, but the things that I find harmful and objectionable in life, I steer clear of them without feeling the need to cut myself off from the rest of the world.
I see lots of Christian posters here who display the same attitude as yourself about the world we live in and I think it is a very negative attitude. A bit too self-righteous for me.

Understandable, I can imagine that there are many things on sites like this that are incomprehensible to you. It takes a personal relationship with Christ to understand, for they are spiritually discerned. Ask Jesus to open your eyes and He will gladly help.

Best wishes in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Understandable, I can imagine that there are many things on sites like this that are incomprehensible to you. It takes a personal relationship with Christ to understand, for they are spiritually discerned. Ask Jesus to open your eyes and He will gladly help.

Best wishes in Christ, Not me
I didn't think my question was that difficult. I have a reasonable grasp of the English language and if you had bothered to answer my question I am quite sure that I would have been able to comprehend
your reply without first having to consult a third party.
Maybe you would like to try again?

Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't think my question was that difficult. I have a reasonable grasp of the English language and if you had bothered to answer my question I am quite sure that I would have been able to comprehend
your reply without first having to consult a third party.
Maybe you would like to try again?

You are correct, unless, I speak the truth.

Case in point, answer me this question; does righteousness exist?

in Christ, Not me

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2018
Houston
✟2,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single

My question would be why does that upset you in the first place? It's quite critical of you to look down on others for finding certain material humorous without actually knowing their background, condition, experiences, etc. I'm not sure how a person viewing such material has an effect on you personally.

If this type thing makes you upset and angry to the point of tears and fighting with people then my professional recommendation would be to seek psychiatric help because for as long as you are living on this Earth, people will still enjoy such content. There's nothing you can do to change that. All you can do is change yourself so you may need to seek professional help in this area.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You are correct, unless, I speak the truth.

Case in point, answer me this question; does righteousness exist?

in Christ, Not me
I don't see why you expect me to give you an answer when you refuse to do so yourself.
Anyway, I will give you an answer. My understanding of the meaning of righteous probably differs from yours.
Many words can be used to define righteousness, but I will mention just a few that can be found in any dictionary definition of the word. Honesty, morality, justice, probity, decency, rectitude etc. and these qualities can be found in the world, so yes, righteousness does exist.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed back in the late 90's and early 2000's it seemed like American comedy and humor was starting to gravitate towards being dark and ugly, sort of like how alot of British humor was in the 80's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see why you expect me to give you an answer when you refuse to do so yourself.
Anyway, I will give you an answer. My understanding of the meaning of righteous probably differs from yours.
Many words can be used to define righteousness, but I will mention just a few that can be found in any dictionary definition of the word. Honesty, morality, justice, probity, decency, rectitude etc. and these qualities can be found in the world, so yes, righteousness does exist.

Is it not true that there are many versions of many things in this world. But are they not exactly that, a version of something and not the thing itself. Let us not concern ourself, about this or that version, only if the thing itself exist.

So the question remains;

Does righteousness exist?

in Christ, Not me.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
our society is becoming very ill with a collective forms of psychosis and neurosis, because we are forgetting God.
It's funny, because I know people that are Atheist. That are good people, very compassionated and full of morals. I know Christians, that aren't moral people at all. Raised their kids, their kids are still Christians, but aren't good people.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is it not true that there are many versions of many things in this world. But are they not exactly that, a version of something and not the thing itself. Let us not concern ourself, about this or that version, only if the thing itself exist.

So the question remains;

Does righteousness exist?

in Christ, Not me.
I don't know if you have difficulty comprehending the written word, but I have already stated that righteousness, as I understand it, does exist. As I said before, your understanding of the meaning of righteousness probably differs from mine, so are you going to tell me your understanding of righteousness, or am I to expect you to once again avoid the question and tell me that I wouldn't understand?

Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if you have difficulty comprehending the written word, but I have already stated that righteousness, as I understand it, does exist. As I said before, your understanding of the meaning of righteousness probably differs from mine, so are you going to tell me your understanding of righteousness, or am I to expect you to once again avoid the question and tell me that I wouldn't understand?

Go and do righteousness (that which is right) in all you do, say, think, dream, hope and desire. And you will meet God.

In Christ, Not me

Last edited:
Upvote 0