What is with all of the sexual harrassment news?

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Try convincing your insurance company of that.
Whatever. I hope you tell your sons they will not likely be able to shift the blame to the girl if they have non-consensual sex, regardless of whether she is dressed provocatively or passed out drunk. Or under aged and too young to consent.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatever. I hope you tell your sons they will not likely be able to shift the blame to the girl if they have non-consensual sex, regardless of whether she is dressed provocatively or passed out drunk. Or under aged and too young to consent.
My son has been married for several years and is the dad to two of the young girls in my avatar pic.

And we raised both him and his sisters to take responsibility for their own actions. (no blame shifting)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I really wonder if God is allowing evil to be exposed for what it is and how prevalent in society it is."

Idk if God is allowing for it to be exposed at this time, due to something else.., such as the end of times?
That certainly is a possibility.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not all the blame. Only the part that requires some thought and discretion be shown.

Overnight the NFL Network suspended three analysts after claims of sexual harassment were lodged against them. The woman who was harassed reported that she had complained about the sexual advances to management but was told "It's part of the job when you look the way you do."

So, using your reasoning simply being attractive gives men a green light to assault and harass women.

• Agree
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....and do you think there is a spiritual facet to it all?

We all know this stuff has been going on forever. Here and there we hear of someone getting caught, but there certainly has been a rash of reports lately. It could be that some women feel more confident to talk if others do as well, but I am wondering if there is a spiritual facet to it.

It's not just sexual harassment, many crooked kings and politicians are being exposed of late.
I really wonder if God is allowing evil to be exposed for what it is and how prevalent in society it is. Evil meaning corruption, modern slavery, sexual harassment, ect.

Any feelings on this? I have done a few in depth searches but nobody else is making any connections that I can find. Is it just coincidence or is there something bigger going on?
I realize any answer is speculation, but can we speculate?
My emotions have moved through several places on this and finally come to rest here:

If there is no conviction, it didn't happen.

What I mean by that is that for those of us that do not know the accused person personally, we only have facts as reported to go on. And "he said, she said" never cuts it for me.

I'll also throw this out: These charges are similar to traffic infractions. That is, there is everything from parking tickets, to speeding, to DUI to reckless driving. They are not all equal. The Weinstein accusations, with his huge power to make - or break - careers, is a big deal. Franken posing for a picture is not. (I say that as a staunch opponent of anything Franken). And Moore's actual accusers have found their testimony impeached, AND the accusations are decades old.

What I'm finding, though, is that most of these people are simply being accused of being sexual human beings. In my younger past, this stuff was the norm. Of course, in much of the US, n****r jokes were the norm too. IOW, it is a good thing this is coming out, but we need to meter our response. i.e. for political leaders, let their voters decide. For others, and especially the serious accusations with evidence, let the courts decide.

And last, there is a line from The Incredibles: "When everyone is super, no one is super." i.e. when everyone touches inappropriately, nobody touches inappropriately. And one thing my wife told me and I've noticed is true: RARELY do women accidentally rub their breasts on you. i.e. women are much more subtle than men regarding pretty much everything.

And regarding many of the accusations being thrown about these days, many men AND women are saying to themselves, "Yikes! I've done that."

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a result of the feminist's "Me too" campaign
backfiring against them. Instead of bringing out more
false charges against Republicans, it encouraged those
who were actually abused to come forward. It seems that
those who thrive on vilifying others have been the most
serious offenders.
I think one possible outcome could be that more and more women get elected; they could change both the law and attitudes on sexual harrassment in all its forms in any work environment. This may take a generation but big change could happen.
I think that is actually the proactive goal of this. Except there is stuff like this (Joy Baer and Robin Williams):
hqdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Victims don't sin by being mistreated but they should seek justice, if nothing else, just to prevent others from being victimized by these evil men. I really hope your opinion is far outside the mainstream or that you just don't get it.
I agree. And on a related subject, if the mistreatment happened more than 2 years ago, I don't want to hear about it without solid evidence. That's just my personal guideline. YMMV

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well they haven't. Abuse in the church has gone on and on and been covered up - - I don't know when it started but if your child is abused and you think your church is going to solve the problem you are so, so dead wrong.
Depends on the church.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP asked this question:
I really wonder if God is allowing evil to be exposed for what it is and how prevalent in society it is. Evil meaning corruption, modern slavery, sexual harassment, ect.

Is there a spiritual component to all of the women coming forwards?

Is it the "spirit of truth" at work, and would that be the correct use of the term?

And why now, in 2017?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please go try to learn why women don't consider it their moral duty to endure sexual abuse by men. Your reasoning is very twisted.
My wife would disagree with you. However, in all fairness, it depends on the degree of "abuse". My wife got her butt pinched when she was in Italy. She slapped the guy.

People are learning what we've known for thousands of years: Humans are sexual. Heing and sheing, at ANY level, are suddenly taboo to some people.

BTW, It reminds me of a movie called Cherry 3000. It's the future and a guy goes into a single bar and there are not couples at tables, but groups of three:The woman, the man, and the attorney writing up the "hook up" contract. As they negotiate, the guy says, "hands on the boobs?" And the girl says, OK, but hands only above the waist. And the attorney dutifully types that into the contract.

It is where we seem to be going. Gotta admit, it does sound awfully romantic. Or not.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The OP asked this question:

Is there a spiritual component to all of the women coming forwards?

Is it the "spirit of truth" at work, and would that be the correct use of the term?

And why now, in 2017?
Yes, and then it got political. That is why I have not chimed in much because I don't follow politics.
Well, lemme try here: we assume this kind of stuff has always gone on but what is upsetting is that they use our tax dollars to pay off victims and pass laws to keep it all hush.
Maybe the whole thing is really about exposing corruption which S.H. is part of it.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Wrong. The lawbreaker takes full responsibility. A law abiding citizen is not "partially at fault" simply because they don't lock their door or leave their keys in the car. You are now at fault if your home is robbed simply because you have an expensive home. And a woman who is raped or sexually harassed is not responsible for the rape or harassment simply because she wears a reveling outfit.

Sorry, but you cannot take away responsibility for your own actions.
That includes tempting others to do wrong.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Overnight the NFL Network suspended three analysts after claims of sexual harassment were lodged against them. The woman who was harassed reported that she had complained about the sexual advances to management but was told "It's part of the job when you look the way you do."

So, using your reasoning simply being attractive gives men a green light to assault and harass women.

You either haven't been reading or you have no comprehension.

Being attractive isn't the same as wearing tiny tight skirts and a
neckline that shows your junk to everyone when you bend over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

It's a shame when that happens anywhere, but even moreso
when she could have easily avoided it by not drinking, or not
being in a place where she shouldn't be.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that is actually the proactive goal of this. Except there is stuff like this (Joy Baer and Robin Williams):
hqdefault.jpg
But would Williams have considered that abusive?

I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But would Williams have considered that abusive?

I don't think so.
And there is the rub, in a single statement. So, when is it inappropriate? If Robin had said to get her hands off him was it already too late to take it back, or would doing it again be the first offense?

The answer seems to be that we need to expand the old saw, "never get photographed with a drink in your hand" if you plan on going into politics to include encounters with the opposite sex.

Looks like Pence is right.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my gymnastics coach stuck his finger straight up and into my lady bits when I was 17.

assaulting gymnasts has been in the news a lot lately....

No, I did not approve.

Will there be the argument made that gymnasts, swimmers and dancers are all wearing enticing uniforms, and so we are asking to be assaulted/groped?

did my leotard invite upon myself my own abuse?

should I have refused to be a competitive athlete?

Well, the whole thing regarding female gymnasts is being exposed now, so to answer the OP, I think that perhaps social media is opening doors to expose the sinful nature of mankind, which possibly could help with a global revival?

If social media/the press expose the world to the harsh realities of a sinful nature, is this an opportunity for us Christians to witness?

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my gymnastics coach stuck his finger straight up and into my lady bits when I was 17.

assaulting gymnasts has been in the news a lot lately....

No, I did not approve.

Will there be the argument made that gymnasts, swimmers and dancers are all wearing enticing uniforms, and so we are asking to be assaulted/groped?

did my leotard invite upon myself my own abuse?

should I have refused to be a competitive athlete?

Well, the whole thing regarding female gymnasts is being exposed now, so to answer the OP, I think that perhaps social media is opening doors to expose the sinful nature of mankind, which possibly could help with a global revival?

If social media/the press expose the world to the harsh realities of a sinful nature, is this an opportunity for us Christians to witness?
I have four daughters, and two sons. The challenge for me regarding this issue is that the solution is not easy. In your case, the absolute right thing to do would have been to immediately report it to the school and then to your parents. But that is a hard choice for a 17 year old girl to make.

At least, it was back then. It will be easier now.

And the reason I mentioned my sons is that there really are a LOT of false accusations out there. My motto is, I need a conviction or it didn't happen. But that is regarding elected officials, and especially when the allegations are coming out before an election and are over two years old.

Upvote 0