What is "White Privilege" in american politics and law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I will also add, he has probably never experienced racial discrimination a day in his life

White privilege is when it's totally fine for people to make assumptions about you and your life based on the colour of your skin - when those same people will bleat "racist!!!!!!" if you were ever to do the same to them.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Then perhaps you should be asking us what "racist" means first.

Why? You already use a concept that is biased to hell - privilege. Why on earth should we care how you've mangled the definition of the term racism next?

Reactions: Lazy_Proverb
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It is impotent if we going to discuss on what constitute of being "white-privilege".
Not really. If you want to understand what people who talk about it mean, you need to understand what they mean by the term, not say what you mean by it.

How's language a white privilege then?
Eh. It's not what script you write in (though that's another issue).

It's that you are more likely to get a job interview if the name on the application is Michael Renolds than if the name is Balik Truc or Abdullah Ali Mohammed, when the rest of the application is identical.

Ok, but as the saying goes "correlation doesn't equal causation". If it simple matter of location than I don't see it as white privilege.
White people have more money, that buys them into better schools by buying into the locations of those schools. It's very well documented in academic literature on education. Has been for a couple of decades.

I do appreciate your honesty(No really, the sjw that I know would never admit this).
Why? It doesn't mean different people are any less capable of benefiting from education, it's simply that the education system is set up in such a way as to perpetuate inequality of education: those from families with good education get better access to education, and the education is delivered in a way that they are better equipped by their families to benefit from.

Hoverer it raises more questions than it answers, such the question as did they attend school and if so how well they did, among other things.
For example, if your family reads a lot, then you go to school with better pre-literacy skills than someone who's family doesn't. That gives you an advantage, so you come out of the system on top, and you pass that advantage on to your children. If a kid is suffering from trauma, they'll have trouble learning at all. To give kids genuinely equal chances in education you've got to put a whole lot more resource, and more imaginative curriculums, into schools servicing the communities with the least prior education. But the reverse is the case.

Link to this evidence you mention?
I've given a citation (book) for the education claims.

I'll go looking for the other if it's going to make a difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
White privilege is when it's totally fine for people to make assumptions about you and your life based on the colour of your skin - when those same people will bleat "racist!!!!!!" if you were ever to do the same to them.

Naturally people who wield power, are privileged. A jury wields power, and if they have beliefs based on racial stereotypes, those beliefs could influence their decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Even if it's positive, if I said all Asians are good at math, it'd be racist.

Yes, it'd be racist. It's still stereotyping people based on race. "Positive" stereotypes are still stereotypes.

Not all Asians are good at math. By perpetuating the stereotype, those who aren't skilled in math face extra pressure by teachers and other students who expect them to be the best. School is already stressful enough, and being told you're not living up to your ethnicity because you don't meet the stereotype can severely hurt a child's development.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
White privilege is when white people see you wearing a gun into Wal-mart and figure you've got a license rather than tackling you as you go through the door.

White privilege is when white people see you sawing the chain off a bike and figure you must have forgotten your combination rather than calling the police.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
@ebia
Some of the response you gave me is mostly due to class rather than "white privilege", while other one a more of a language barrier(which is a can of worms itself).
Not really. If you want to understand what people who talk about it mean, you need to understand what they mean by the term, not say what you mean by it.
Strongly disagree, definitions are impotent so that we won't talk pass each other. I have given my definition, if you don't share this definition, then please state yours, so we could discuss about it.
ebia, I don't visited this website only, I visited other websites as well, after events surrounding gamergate, I been exposed to the term "SJW", people exemplifying that term and among other things. I am skeptical of certain aspects such as "rape culture" and "white privilege" that is promoted by the SJW crowd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Someone told me I enjoy certain privileges cause I am white, I don't understand the idea of white privilege. It seems very racist.

Do you think white people get a advantage for being white?

I mean, I don't get a lot of scholarships because I'm not a minority. What laws or system favors me being white?

Spend some time in economically downtrodden areas with high concentrations of minorities. You will learn very quickly.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
All the education stats you are citing is based more on economics than race.

Race is also a strong determining factor for which economic class you find yourself in. It's not as if kids who are minorities chose to grow up in the projects.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Spend some time in economically downtrodden areas with high concentrations of minorities. You will learn very quickly.

Yeah, he can live on the Rez for awhile.

If he really wants to find out what it's like to live in an economically downtrodden area, then I recommend that he move to Pine Ridge and live there for awhile.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
@ebia
Some of the response you gave me is mostly due to class rather than "white privilege",
A good deal of the point is that class/wealth and perceived race (remembering that race isn't a real thing anyway) are heavily connected.

while other one a more of a language barrier(which is a can of worms itself).
You're missing the point - it's not a language barrier. It's simply the name on the appliction. Identical applications get an interview more often if the name the top looks Anglo/northern European than if it looks African, Asian or from the Middle East.

Language is, of course, another example we can add to the list. The english of one group carries more social capital than the English of the other, for no good reason.

¥
Strongly disagree, definitions are impotent so that we won't talk pass each other. I have given my definition, if you don't share this definition, then please state yours, so we could discuss about it.
What we need is the community of discourse's definition, and you're getting that through the examples given.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
A good deal of the point is that class/wealth and perceived race (remembering that race isn't a real thing anyway) are heavily connected.
Evidence?

You're missing the point - it's not a language barrier. It's simply the name on the appliction. Identical applications get an interview more often if the name the top looks Anglo/northern European than if it looks African, Asian or from the Middle East.
Then it can't be "white privilege" if it simply be based on names. As skin color has nothing to do with your name.
Language is, of course, another example we can add to the list. The english of one group carries more social capital than the English of the other, for no good reason.
Evidence?
What we need is the community of discourse's definition, and you're getting that through the examples given.
No we don't, because I'm talking to you personally, not the "community" and frankly your examples that you give me is unconvincing due to the lack of evidence and general vagueness of the statements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
As skin color has nothing to do with your name.

Actually it can, because my birth name, even my given name of Red Fox, has to do with the fact that I am Native American.

I also know a bunch of other NDNs whose birth name and given name have to do with the fact that they are NDN.

In fact, that is a very common practice among my people going back centuries to our ancestors.

Also, the practice of giving traditional ethnic names is not limited to only Native Americans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read an article the day before yesterday regarding the names on applications thing. It's mostly about cultural dominance rather than race, as white people with non-Anglicized names are also discriminated against in this scenario. The specific example used was white Russians and other Eastern Europeans also being discriminated against when it comes to bias on applications. It is a poor example to cite as being 'white privilege', to be honest.

In fact, I would dare to say that any dominant culture in any country on the planet would have similar inherent biases- even against white Anglo names- where white Anglos are the minority.

ETA- In other words, the bias is ethnically motivated and not racially motivated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Evidence?
Are you serious?

Then it can't be "white privilege" if it simply be based on names. As skin color has nothing to do with your name.
"Race" isn't something real at all. It's a vague set of ideas in people's heads, that connects a whole lot of stuff, half of it completely imaginary.

In people's heads, names and ethnic appearance correlate.

Evidence?
Holmes, Sociolinguistics, 2013

No we don't, because I'm talking to you personally, not the "community" and frankly your examples that you give me is unconvincing due to the lack of evidence and general vagueness of the statements.
The OP question is what is meant by...

You can define "white priveledge" to mean "people who wear a bit of white paper on their head get served faster in McDonald's" and go on to show that they don't, but you won't have done anything useful.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I read an article the day before yesterday regarding the names on applications thing. It's mostly about cultural dominance rather than race, as white people with non-Anglicized names are also discriminated against in this scenario. The specific example used was white Russians and other Eastern Europeans also being discriminated against when it comes to bias on applications. It is a poor example to cite as being 'white privilege', to be honest.
That will depend on where you are, and it won't be an all or nothing thing.

You'll find here that an Eastern European background will fare slightly worse than an Anglo or Italian one, but a lot better than a middle eastern, Burmese or Chinese one. And then when you get to the interview...

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That will depend on where you are, and it won't be an all or nothing thing.

You'll find here that an Eastern European background will fare slightly worse than an Anglo or Italian one, but a lot better than a middle eastern, Burmese or Chinese one. And then when you get to the interview...
This is because the bias in question is ethnically motivated and not racially motivated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.